What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why I don't believe in f-cking with the sexuality of cannabis

El Timbo

I also state facts, based on science, and I know for a fucking fact that I'm not better than _anyone_ else, whatsoever. And I use the term "fack" quite liberally, because it usually cuts across the namby pamby, polite bullshit, an expresses how I actually _feel_.

And _not_ growing fems and selling cannabis doesn't make me better than anyone else, only more intelligent. ;)

How many feminised seeds have you grown in your time?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
Most Cannabis is Dioecious, all is Heterozygous, and an Obligate Outcrosser, wind pollinated, man can create a Homozygous Cannabis variety but they are not found in nature. Any Monoecious Cannabis made by man must be maintained by man, in the wild they will soon revert to Dioecious with many intersex individuals.
Because of this unlike tomatoes which are not Dioecious or Heterozygous it is not easy to just breed with a few plants to maintain a Cannabis landrace, genes will be lost every reproduction. Tomatoes are easy to maintain a variety unless they are modern F1 hybrids.

mudballs

Feminizing isn't the problem, it's a grower/breeder not knowing they just grabbed the s1 with an unfavorable trait such as low trichome count compared to another s1 plant, then crossing and line breeding...we can never get the higher trich count back unless the male P2 is still alive

eastcoastjoe

Feminizing isn't the problem, it's a grower/breeder not knowing they just grabbed the s1 with an unfavorable trait such as low trichome count compared to another s1 plant, then crossing and line breeding...we can never get the higher trich count back unless the male P2 is still alive

That honestly doesn’t make much sense. How would breeding an inferior plant, be any different than breeding with an inferior plant ? s1, f6 does it matter ?
I also don’t see how that could even happen. Who would select a plant to breed with that had those characteristics you speak of ?

eastcoastjoe

I just don't see how feminizing can hurt anything. Adding Ruderalis to the gene pool on the other hand ..

That’s my thoughts as well. Especially when the goal is to improve. How is creating better plants a detriment ? I just don’t see it and no one can explain it either. Just more bro science

mudballs

Cuz they can only grow 4 plants...the avg tent grower out there trying to follow laws, we need them to know how things could play out to their detriment..their friends detriment if they pass out the cut or seeds from a cross

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
That honestly doesn’t make much sense. How would breeding an inferior plant, be any different than breeding with an inferior plant ? s1, f6 does it matter ?
I also don’t see how that could even happen. Who would select a plant to breed with that had those characteristics you speak of ?
For example working with autoflowers you can t see the mothers neither pollendonors before making seeds. Only other seeds grew from the same batch and make decisions before you could know

eastcoastjoe

Cuz they can only grow 4 plants...the avg tent grower out there trying to follow laws, we need them to know how things could play out to their detriment..their friends detriment if they pass out the cut or seeds from a cross

Please explain how growing an S1 will cause any detriment to a tent grower. Or anyone for that matter ? Your seriously reaching lol

mudballs

So now we have 80M growers that cant select from a larger population..."hey this plant is awesome!"...no, it's actually the 5th rated trash availble from that line...but he/she will never know, cant know

eastcoastjoe

For example working with autoflowers you can t see the mothers neither pillendonors before making seeds. Only other seeds grew from the same batch and make decisions before you could know

Autoflowers I would agree. They should be kept separate from any breeding program unless it’s a purely auto breeding program. I’ve seen firsthand the problems that can cause when making a hybrid. But as far as fems go, I’m not seeing it

eastcoastjoe

So now we have 80M growers that cant select from a larger population..."hey this plant is awesome!"...no, it's actually the 5th rated trash availble from that line...but he/she will never know, cant know

None of those tent growers are contributing to the gene pool. The gene pool is what is commercially available. All private growers like on this site, doing projects, aren’t adding anything to the gene pool because it’s not readily available to anyone. so Please make it make sense.

eastcoastjoe

Well shit you agree with that but blasting on me?!

I agree autos have no place in a photoperiod breeding if program. The problems it can cause are obvious. Fems on the other hand, I’ve yet to see anyone make a good argument how they can harm things any worse than bad selection from M/F populations 🤷🏻‍♂️