What's new

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

exoticrobotic

Though tomorrow's our anniversary
Happy anniversary for tomorrow.

we're making deep-friend hand-breaded sea scallops, deep-fried hand-breaded wild-caught 13-15 count Patagonia pink shrimp, and deep-fried hand-breaded wild-caught calamari fingers cut from large steaks.

That, and the mostly organic salad that we've been working on for a couple days thus far, with homemade Caesar dressing, Crunchmaster Quinoa crackers crumbled for croutons, and marinated baby artichoke hearts with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

That sounds amazing.

I'm gonna get some flatbreads, Mackerel and make some coleslaw.

moose eater

Happy anniversary for tomorrow.

That sounds amazing.

I'm gonna get some flatbreads, Mackerel and make some coleslaw.
Thanks.

Yes, a lot of both easy and challenging years. Sometimes costly years with patience, etc. 34 to be exact. Nearly 35 if the year before we were married counts, when we were cohabitating, and I was finishing graduate school.

Fortunately for tomorrow's 'feast', the homemade tartar sauce is already whipped up and waiting.

Fry bread, eh?

Native tradition, or one that was picked up along the way?

Good fry bread or even doughnuts, are things that left my available menu years ago, due to carbohydrates and other considerations of health. But man... good starchy comfort foods are awesome.

I cheat around ice fishing time, and we still make a fair collection of pasties, though this year they were beef, rather than moose. Probably won't be too many moose pasties made in our home in the coming years. My back's not going to permit many more hunts for even more manageable sized game, let along Bullwinkle.

exoticrobotic

Good fry bread or even doughnuts, are things that left my available menu years ago, due to carbohydrates and other considerations of health. But man... good starchy comfort foods are awesome.
Blimey i'm really really hungry now :D

Fry bread, eh?
My son would fry up the flat bread but grilled with butter and olive oil for me.

Nearly 35 if the year before we were married counts
Wow, that is impressive :tiphat: I'm still figuring out what works best after a mere 25 years :giggle:

moose eater

Blimey i'm really really hungry now :D

My son would fry up the flat bread but grilled with butter and olive oil for me.

Wow, that is impressive :tiphat: I'm still figuring out what works best after a mere 25 years :giggle:
Flexibility at times in situations where a more idealistic youthful person looking a lot like the self might've believed none was warranted or required.

And (joking, at least a little bit) a LOT of pot.

Yeah, sounds like a different sort of fry bread. I was thinking Navajo, Oglala Sioux, and/or maybe some Northern Bands. They have their own traditions with fry bread.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
IMG_20230611_095309.jpg

moose eater

The anniversary meal, blow by blow.... but no blow was to be had...

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

Followed by a really heavy belch. Good thing no one visits. That might've been embarrassing.

Plus, I got the satisfaction of telling at least one of my 3 adult kids, the only one to wish us a happy anniversary, albeit after I approached the subject, that none of them would be here if not for this anniversary, and maybe they might've considered that angle of view in their paths of self-absorption... Or not..

moose eater

Just ate breaded and seasoned chicken livers. Made them for an aging Norwegian elkhound (my youngest quasi-sociopath son's pup who was a rescue here nearly 12 years ago, likely going on 13 or 14 years old now) who is probably on her way out, based on her poor eating habits lately.

Been trying to coax her to eat, putting fried eggs in her chow, chicken broth, psyllium, and, today, fried seasoned chicken livers.

But as I was frying a medium-large cast iron skillet of the seasoned and breaded chicken livers, I decided I'd share them with her.

So, there we were, 2 distinctly different beings/species, sharing the filtration organs from corporate-raised poultry, no doubt teaming with antibiotics and growth hormones, and specifically eating the parts that would be responsible for sorting out all of that chemical nonsense.

I figure cheap or free drugs is always a decent proposal. And the elkhound apparently agrees, though she puked shortly after eating her dinner tonight. Maybe a warning of sorts?

Headed into salad shortly, and maybe some chicken hash, from boneless, skinless thighs.

Last edited:

moose eater

when my kids were teens, they were all over the place when i whistled at their mother when she bent over. "ugh, dad! how gross!" LOL! "you wouldn't be alive if i didn't like her ass..." :good:
I was in the hardware years ago, when our oldest, my daughter, now almost 30 y.o., was about 10-12 years old, max.

The newly hired woman in the trying-to-avoid-bankruptcy hardware smelled heavily off alcohol from either that morning or the night before, or both. She wasn't bad looking, but I had kids in tow, and am married...

The rather attractive (likely intoxicated) woman was clearly making advances toward me, and I was assuming she was likely trying to find a meal ticket out of her undesirable employment dilemma.... or she had a quirky attraction to quasi-hippified dads with children... "You make the call."

When we left the hardware, my daughter jumped in my shit, as though I'd done something to encourage the drunken employee, as opposed to simply looking for the fittings I needed... and the newer employee there had not been among the 'fittings' I was seeking at that time.

I also once asked my kids if the sounds coming from our bedroom were unsettling when their mother and I would have time together. Could've heard a pin drop when I asked that question. (And yes, it's a VERY well-insulated home).

Sometimes, considering my past walks in life, on the edge of normalcy and elsewhere, some extreme adventuring (both legal and not), I've been tempted to have DNA tests done on my 3 now-adult children. People who behave and believe this way couldn't have possibly come from my lineage. Could they?

Last edited:

moose eater

Had a late breakfast/timely lunch of my usual; golden potatoes partially cooked in the microwave, then flash cooled in a sink full of VERY cold water, stored in the fridge, then grated into hash browns, and fried crispy in avocado oil, with salt and coarsely ground black pepper. One brown free-range egg over easy on top, with Tapatio Sauce, 16 oz. of freshly ground French roast coffee with a micro-splash of 40% heavy whipping cream, 20-oz. of green tea for medicinal purposes, and gave the aging, likely dying Norwegian elkhound several scratches on her neck and behind her ears for good measure.

Thawing skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs for an oven baked barbecued chicken again.

Might have to thaw some halibut or salmon for the purpose of breaking the poultry run we've been on.

Though the other day we had heavenly (no sugar, hickory smoked, dry-rub) bacon, Swiss cheese, sauteed Baby Bella mushroom cheeseburgers with about 1/2-2/3-lb. 93% lean ground beef patties on sprouted whole wheat bread (Silver Hills Bakery 'Little Big Bread'), with homemade ketchup, spicy brown mustard, butter crunch lettuce, thinly sliced sweet onions, etc. Awesome burgers, but they damned near needed to be eaten with a fork.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Had a late breakfast/timely lunch of my usual; golden potatoes partially cooked in the microwave, then flash cooled in a sink full of VERY cold water, stored in the fridge, then grated into hash browns, and fried crispy in avocado oil, with salt and coarsely ground black pepper. One brown free-range egg over easy on top, with Tapatio Sauce, 16 oz. of freshly ground French roast coffee with a micro-splash of 40% heavy whipping cream, 20-oz. of green tea for medicinal purposes, and gave the aging, likely dying Norwegian elkhound several scratches on her neck and behind her ears for good measure.

Thawing skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs for an oven baked barbecued chicken again.

Might have to thaw some halibut or salmon for the purpose of breaking the poultry run we've been on.

Though the other day we had heavenly (no sugar, hickory smoked, dry-rub) bacon, Swiss, sauteed Baby Bella mushroom cheeseburgers with about 1/2-2/3-lb. 93% lean ground beef patties on sprouted whole wheat bread (Silver Hills Bakery 'Little Big Bread'), with homemade ketchup, spicy brown mustard, butter crunch lettuce, thinly sliced sweet onions, etc. Awesome burgers, but they damned near needed to be eaten with a fork.
You write so well moose - always a pleasure to read the posts you put up on the site -

- back in the 60's - when I was a nipper - a Hamburger - a real American style Hamburger - was to us such an exotic food - out of reach - and very badly copied - by many fast food outlets - the passion for them all started by reading 'Popeye' comics at an early age - and the character 'Wimpy' (J. Wellington Wimpy) - who had a penchant for Hamburgers - was one of my early role models - since I hardly saw my Dad - and Wimpy simply loved Hamburgers -

- and then in 1976 - the first Burger King opened in the UK - in Leicester Square (London) - for a price a double beef Whopper was available - flame grilled too - got me into happy Hamburger heaven - what a wonderful invention -

moose eater

You write so well moose - always a pleasure to read the posts you put up on the site -

- back in the 60's - when I was a nipper - a Hamburger - a real American style Hamburger - was to us such an exotic food - out of reach - and very badly copied - by many fast food outlets - the passion for them all started by reading 'Popeye' comics at an early age - and the character 'Wimpy' (J. Wellington Wimpy) - who had a penchant for Hamburgers - was one of my early role models - since I hardly saw my Dad - and Wimpy simply loved Hamburgers -

- and then in 1976 - the first Burger King opened in the UK - in Leicester Square (London) - for a price a double beef Whopper was available - flame grilled too - got me into happy Hamburger heaven - what a wonderful invention -
Thanks, Gypsy.

I once wrote a little bit for publication but gave it up after my first story out of OCCUPY Wall St. in Manhattan.

The untruths told by mainstream media from all sides, and the disrespect shown to folks who suffered great indignities and harms, many of whom had virtually nothing, who stood for what they believed in so well, led me to abandon my agreements to publish 2-4 more stories.

I concluded the masses didn't deserve to know these brave people's stories and would only twist them anyway.

The notes from that period still sit, smeared from the rain-soaking, on my desk today, from that snow, wind and rainstorm that hit Manhattan that year, around Halloween. First time it had snowed in Manhattan at that time of year since the Civil War.

I've mostly ceased tilting at windmills since then.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Thanks, Gypsy.

I once wrote a little bit for publication but gave it up after my first story out of OCCUPY Wall St. in Manhattan.

The untruths told by mainstream media from all sides, and the disrespect shown to folks who suffered great indignities and harms, many of whom had virtually nothing, who stood for what they believed in so well, led me to abandon my agreements to publish 2-4 more stories.

I concluded the masses didn't deserve to know these brave people's stories and would only twist them anyway.

The notes from that period still sit, smeared from the rain-soaking, on my desk today, from that snow, wind and rainstorm that hit Manhattan that year, around Halloween. First time it had snowed in Manhattan at that time of year since the Civil War.

I've mostly ceased tilting at windmills since then.
Ya - the legacy media historically has been a bug-bear to the majority of souls - since it is owned and operated by those that don't exactly have our best interests in mind - rather they create the interest with political soap operas as a diversion to mask the fact that they are not reporting much of what is really going on in this world - and what is reported has a heavy bias one way or another - whoever pays most - gets the good exposure - just ask William Randolf Hearst -

moose eater

Ya - the legacy media historically has been a bug-bear to the majority of souls - since it is owned and operated by those that don't exactly have our best interests in mind - rather they create the interest with political soap operas as a diversion to mask the fact that they are not reporting much of what is really going on in this world - and what is reported has a heavy bias one way or another - whoever pays most - gets the good exposure - just ask William Randolf Hearst -
I knew when left, centrist and right sided mainstream media were telling fibs about OCCUPY Wall St that we were on the primary nerve behind all things I believe to be evil.

As a former, respectable legislator used to say often here in Alaska 40 years ago, Charlie Parr, "Money makes the (mare/mayor) go". I told his widow close to 20 years ago that I'd always meant to ask Charlie if he meant 'mayor' or 'mare'; a farming metaphor or a political metaphor. Then realized it didn't really matter.

But at OCCUPY, when we got the longshoremen's union on board in solidarity, and they shut down the ports at Oakland and Newark, despite previous physical abuses, the gloves came off, whether federal, PDs, or whatever, and they turned into beasts. We'd hit them in their wallets in ways that they could feel for real.

We were finally having an impact on those who make the gears of the drug war, the military wars, and the cheap shoddy shit imported from China, all feel the pinch.

Hearts swelled with pride and hope. And then it was shut down hard.

I'll skip most of the graphic descriptions of some of the violence perpetrated on those who stood the line. I will tell you that a political brother in arms who was an ACLU observer in Oakland, standing the line face-to-face with Oakland PD, when the cops were fucking people up and had launched a tear gas cannister at point blank range into the head of a young blonde surfer, decorated Iraq War vet, putting him into a coma, Greg looked into the eyes of the Oakland cop he was facing off with, and noted they were both crying.

I came home from Manhattan and DC a very changed person. I knew I had been moved to a place out of sorts and would not be the same for a long while.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts