What's new

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
On the way at the moment is a late breakfast of my usual; freshly grated hashbrowns from golden potatoes that were nuked to mostly done, then flash cooled in very cold water and chucked into the fridge the other day, with one egg, easy over, on top, to permit mopping the yolk with the crispy spuds. and some Tapatio sauce to make it more interesting. (*Note to self; we're low on Tapatio sauce. YIKES!!! Crisis in later life is now defined way differently than when much younger).

16 oz. of dark French roast coffee from freshly ground beans, with a splash of 40% heavy whipping cream in it. And 20 oz. of unflavored, unsweetened green tea for medicinal purposes.

HOWEVER!!!! I just placed 10 chicken thighs with salt and coarsely ground black pepper into a fairly sizable cast iron skillet after pre-heating the oven to 330 f., and after remixing my homemade barbecue sauce from the other day, to accommodate my wife's more sensitive palate by reducing the intensity of the heat and 'twang' by adding another 15-oz. can of organic tomato sauce and some more of the 'safer' seasonings, the thighs are now buried in the barbecue sauce in the previously mentioned skillet, in a 330 f. oven, for about 50 minutes or so, after which they'll be flipped, reburied in the sauce,and baked for another 50 to 60 minutes.

After that point, we should have successfully tilled, fertilized, and hilled the spud field and maybe even brought up another 4-wheeler trailer load of spruce from the lower end of the property.

A specific area of nerves in my lower thoracic or upper lumbar are intermittently complaining when I run the chainsaw, lift larger pieces of 4'-length, heavy, greenish spruce, or other maneuvers with which the nerves disagree. So, I'm guessing the chicken thighs will get steamed green beans to accompany them, and a side-order of hashish and tequila for lunch, before 'getting back to it'.

Ten thighs in one skillet sounds like you have a huge skillet!!

I settled for PB&J for dinner.

Lots of transplanting and cloning and trimming oh my.

I pick the worst days to abstain from alcohol.

moose eater

Ten thighs in one skillet sounds like you have a huge skillet!!

I settled for PB&J for dinner.

Lots of transplanting and cloning and trimming oh my.

I pick the worst days to abstain from alcohol.
It's our second largest cast iron skillet. And I neglected to mention the organic coconut oil earlier, which I put close to 1/4-cup of into the skillet early on and let it pre-heat with the oven while I was rinsing the thighs.

The larger skillet (far too big to get a good single-handed swing with to smack something or someone) I reserve for making huge batches of burrito filling, the base for jambalaya, my previously mentioned Tex-Mex chili base, the base for seafood chowder, or similar larger dishes.

Neither of the 2 largest cast iron skillets really fit into the kitchen sink for clean-up very well, but I'm a huge fan of cast iron.

moose eater

Beef rib roast (maybe prime, but purchased as choice), with butter crusted homemade dinner rolls, maybe or not some gravy from the drippings, and steamed whole organic green beans.

Then out to fill a tote to run a motor on the boat for the upcoming trip, and planting spuds.

My back still hurts from yesterday.

Too late in the day to eat any acid, or that might make it all pass better.

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Beef rib roast (maybe prime, but purchased as choice), with butter crusted homemade dinner rolls, maybe or not some gravy from the drippings, and steamed whole organic green beans.

Then out to fill a tote to run a motor in the boat for the upcoming trip, and planting spuds.

My back still hurts from yesterday.

Too late in the day to eat any acid, or that might make it all pass better.

Higher on the hog than me today!

Roasted garlic parmesan chicken over golden potatoes smothered in cheese.

I guess the vegetables are so good that they didn't make it to the table ...

moose eater

Higher on the hog than me today!

Roasted garlic parmesan chicken over golden potatoes smothered in cheese.

I guess the vegetables are so good that they didn't make it to the table ...
I'd likely trade some if I were closer.

The beef rib roast is a bit too rich in my older age, not to mention the fact that it feeds the cancer, being red meat is a class II carcinogen, and all that stuff.

I added salt and some extra-hot horseradish for good measure.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
oooh, deviled eggs! (y) had lasagna and garlic bread tonight. wish i'd saved half of the pan of scratch brownies i made yesterday. not sure what happened to them. gotta start hiding shit like that before i go to bed...crepuscular scavengers sneaking around after lights out...:unsure:

Roadkill420

we need more pics😄my dinner last night. Beyond dog with pickled jalapeno, onion and mustard

Fotografija0176.jpg
Fotografija0179.jpg

moose eater

anyone try these?

Aren't those simply re-labeled MRE's repurposed for aid drops?

If so, then yes, I've eaten PLENTY of MREs back when carbs didn't matter. Nearly ALL MREs are carbohydrate bombs... with mediocre food in them, though leaps and bounds better than the old C-rats.

moose eater

Having 8 'blackened' 13-15 count wild-caught Patagonia pink shrimp on a salad of organic broccoli, organic cabbage, organic baby spinach, organic butter crunch lettuce, thin-sliced organic carrots, sweet peppers organic baby bella mushrooms, with homemade Caesar dressing, 5 crumbled Crunchmaster Quinoa and flax seed crackers for croutons, 6 smaller marinated baby artichoke hearts, and parmesan cheese. Along with a smaller serving of the left-over organic green beans with butter, salt and coarse black pepper.

The shrimp were sauteed/fried hot in organic virgin coconut oil with a bit of Cris Cris (Cajun seasoning my daughter gave to me), black pepper, dab of oregano, garlic, thyme, with the seasonings added to the coconut oil before putting the shrimp in and blackened slightly on both sides.

May not need dinner at this rate.

Side of RO H2O, remainder of the morning cup/mug of French roast, freshly ground coffee with 40% heavy whipping cream, and a half of a 12-oz. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (9% abv) from North Coast Brewing.

Then out to hopefully diagnose the oddity I encountered when running the Honda 4-wheeler yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

moose eater

My wife and I just split 2 packages of party wings, totaling 19 drumette's and/or wingettes total, with her forfeiting 1-1/2 of her pieces of the 19 total.

Dredged in seasoned whole wheat flower, corn starch and seasonings. Like most US recipes, the seasonings were too slight, so we increased them a touch in subsequent batches in the deep-fryer, and I found that numerous 'dots' of Tapatio Sauce made them amazing.

Deep-fried at 350 f. for about 8 minutes.

In that we had smoked part of a joint of my now-deceased 1997 Dronkers' Sensi Seeds California Indica before preparation, let's just say it's fortunate that there were only 19 pieces total. No telling what sort of carnage might've been incurred, especially after discovering the improved tastiness resulting from the Tapatio Sauce.

Another tragedy narrowly averted.

exoticrobotic

Your home deep fried chicken sounds amazing.

Where are the pics though? :biggrin:

Ever tried kimchi with fried chicken or cold ham?

A nice kimchi elevates cold meat and rice (a quick fix staple of mine) to another level.

kimchi.jpg

Amazing for gut/general health too and packed with vitamins A, B, C, and K, and minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus, and selenium.

I use this recipe - https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-recipe/#kimchi-9 but leave out the saeujeot (fermented shrimp).

I use Wang :biggrin: Red Pepper Powder (Coarse) Also known as Gochugaru
Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 05.49.03.png

and this fish sauce

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 05.50.23.png

:rasta:

Last edited:

moose eater

I'd need some kimchi after 19 fried chicken pieces :biggrin:
I only got 10-1/2 of the 19. but it was plenty.

The only camera I have for anything here now is my wife's phone camera, and I have to remember to ask her to take pics, then email them to me, and then delete them from her phone.

So no pics today.

Though tomorrow's our anniversary, and after we finish swapping out winter tires for summer tires, we're making deep-fried hand-breaded sea scallops, deep-fried hand-breaded wild-caught 13-15 count Patagonia pink shrimp, and deep-fried hand-breaded wild-caught calamari fingers cut from large steaks.

That, and the mostly organic salad that we've been working on for a couple days thus far, with homemade Caesar dressing, Crunchmaster Quinoa crackers crumbled for croutons, and marinated baby artichoke hearts with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

Bound to be a day involving naps between the eating and tires.

Edit: Yes, we eat kimchee fairly often, though we've taken a break for a bit, with some of a half-gallon in the fridge remaining and aging away.

At some point of ripeness, as the kimchee turns a bit ripe, it goes very well in soups.

My wife went to school in South Korea at Dongguk University in the early 1980s. She used to make our homemade kimchee, but I get good kimchee at Costco these days for fairly cheap.

Edit again: Corrected the spelling of the University my wife attended in S. Korea.

Last edited: