What's new

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

moose eater

Going to be making something for later lunch/early dinner I've never made before.

Cheesy grits with shrimp (and minced jalapeno peppers, chopped sweet pepper, and chopped green onion... maybe some finely chopped sweet onion too). With sharp cheddar Tillamook cheese.

Ate limited grits as a kid, typically for breakfast. Usually white hominy grits.

The cheesy grits with shrimp look like they carry a foreboding number of carbs, but I think can take one for the team.

shithawk420

Veteran
Dry brined the ribeye in salt overnight.makes a good crust.it was good.sorry I didn't take any pics of the meat cut up.perfect medium rare.kinda overcooked the cap though which kinda pisses me off but decent.i know where I've been messing up now.i need to trim the outer fat,fry that in the pan and use the fat oils and fry in that instead of vegetable oil.
I know some people are crazy about grits moose but I just never liked them.when I was locked up in GA I'd either trade them or give them away.seems people either like them with salt and pepper or sweet with sugar or whatever.with jalapeno and shrimp though I'd try that
20230504_151648.jpg

moose eater

Dry brined the ribeye in salt overnight.makes a good crust.it was good.sorry I didn't take any pics of the meat cut up.perfect medium rare.kinda overcooked the cap though which kinda pisses me off but decent.i know where I've been messing up now.i need to trim the outer fat,fry that in the pan and use the fat oils and fry in that instead of vegetable oil.
I know some people are crazy about grits moose but I just never liked them.when I was locked up in GA I'd either trade them or give them away.seems people either like them with salt and pepper or sweet with sugar or whatever.with jalapeno and shrimp though I'd try that
View attachment 18838020
Steak looks great, 'hawk. The cap on a rib roast is my second favorite part, after the meat between and around the rib bones.

Yeah, in some instances, beef tallow can be a very tasty replacement for other oils, if it doesn't stick too badly.

The grits we had for breakfast as kids often either got sprinkled with brown or white sugar in marginal amounts, or a mild dose of real maple syrup, and a bit of butter. Corn requires butter. :)

They were OK, but corn is already hellacious on carbs in most cases, and sweetener adds even more.

The cheesy grits with shrimp is apparently a classic Southern food thing. And corn combined with good cheddar cheese is almost always tasty in whatever combination.

A neighbor from a few miles up on the hill used to bring a corn, egg, and jalapeno casserole to some of the harvest-season bonfire potluck dinners we used to host after the snow stuck to the ground and all of the meat and other crops were put into the freezers or wherever, and the cannabis was cured and sealed. It was quite tasty, and very simple. Always better when someone else made it, however. ;)

The grits with shrimp I'm looking forward to this afternoon, after a town run, though the carb count indicates it won't be a routine thing on the menu.

Starting to put together a menu for my daughter's and her significant other's visit and trip (in tandem) with us to the Yukon Territory and Aishihik Lake this early July. She's asked me to make my version of shrimp, chicken and andouille jambalaya. Easy enough and very tasty, but due to the short-grain brown rice, another carbohydrate blow.

Have an Aussie boneless leg of lamb roast, size medium small, that I may or may not smoke, or possibly pot-roast with rutabagas, spuds, onions, celery, carrots, etc. And I'll probably smoke another 3, 4, or 6+ racks of St. Louis-cut pork ribs with my 'kitchen sink dry rub' on them, smoked before the trip and frozen, as when I'm in serious bear country I have some very firm rules about food handling, where people eat, what gets done with food and utensil waste, etc.

Need enough chow, plus extras, for 5-6 people and our three pups. My older son will likely be bringing his 2 pups if he's able to drive there and attend.

No potable water at that site, so we tend to haul drinking and cooking water in large jugs and gather dish washing water at the lake or lagoon, then boil it to kill anything it might be carrying.

Never had the pups with us there before, so a fair bit more water for an 8-day stay is in order.

Have just over 8 weeks to straighten everything out and get our van and the boat and boat trailer ready for the ~550 miles each way.

Last edited:

moose eater

I forgot to add the chopped bacon to the contents of the cheesy grits with shrimp. but at this point, how can a person go wrong? Corn, bacon, shrimp, jalapeno, seasonings, green onions, and the sweet peppers.

Holy cow, this stuff is excellent. Fairly basic, but excellent!!

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that's hell raising good looking food, moose! you're about to starve my ass. but i don't understand... how could you forget bacon? i just don't get it...:unsure:

moose eater

that's hell raising good looking food, moose! you're about to starve my ass. but i don't understand... how could you forget bacon? i just don't get it...:unsure:
Forgot it in the listing of ingredients earlier. Didn't forget it in the preparations, which my wife graciously did for me this evening.

Never thought grits could be orgasmic. I was clearly uninformed.

This was indeed spectacular.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thinking about these angus beef dogs
anyone have them before? What say you?

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Have been getting burgers for $5 at pizza place, sometimes 2 a day. Snickers bars. Chicken sandwiches. Walking 6-8 miles day. Down to 290. 40 lbs to go. Can't believe I already lost 30 pounds. My inspiration is landing a blonde chick with an awesome face and big butt. Not too big. Run into a lot of black-haired witches. Need to have goals and values. National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood, No Ma'am

audido

shithawk420

Veteran
Have been getting burgers for $5 at pizza place, sometimes 2 a day. Snickers bars. Chicken sandwiches. Walking 6-8 miles day. Down to 290. 40 lbs to go. Can't believe I already lost 30 pounds. My inspiration is landing a blonde chick with an awesome face and big butt. Not too big. Run into a lot of black-haired witches. Need to have goals and values. National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood, No Ma'am

audido
Hey was just gonna see how you were doing! Glad to see you mister!

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Hey @shithawk420 how are you man? Doing okay? How's your mom? Any talk of hospice? Is your mom comfortable? Saw that ribeye you cooked, looked good. Haven't cooked in week or two.

shithawk420

Veteran
eh not sure on my mom.she went to check on my unncle and said shes not feeling well.she needs more dialysis bags so yeah.i was worried the KGB got you!awsome your doing better!i tried walking 5 miles a few times and i was a cranky ass!lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a great chicken casserole, green beans and cornbread. then had strawberries and seedless watermelon & a big bowl for dessert...first seedless melon i've tried. not impressed...:confused:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
ate at a place called the Green Tomato yesterday. tried their Mooresburg Chicken, which was covered with various grated cheeses, peppers etc and mashed taters & cole slaw. great country food. they have a dessert called "Lava Cake" which can seriously overpower you if a diabetic, but is worth the risk if you're already old & out of the gene pool...killer ribs and shrimp too.

Latest posts

Latest posts