What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldfogey8

Are there any cactus growers amongst the Farts on here?

I kinda know they haven't had enough light over the winter, (yup gotta love the UK) but I thought they may fill out during the summer and not just get top heavy like some big daft cactus things.

View attachment 19024400

Are they salvageable or should I just eat them now and be done with them. ?
I have a saguaro cactus that I bought in 2000 out in AZ. It didn’t grow much for probably 20 years. I had some EM-1 laying around so I fed the thing(it was probably 2”(~5 cm for those playing with metric). It started to grow. It got to about 6 inches tall(15 cm) then one of the cats knocked the top 2” off. I put that piece in some cactus soil and it is now about 4”(10 cm) tall so I guess it rooted. The original sprouted 3 ‘branches’. Then the cats did their dirty work on those and knocked 2 of them off. Those are now in some dirt. I read that the cactus only needed a couple tblsps(30 ml) of water every few months so that is likely why the original grew so slowly. I now give them a half a cup every couple months. So in summary(and I am not growing San Pedro but am thinking of buying a cutting), they likely will grow slowly but are hard to kill even with determined asshole cats doing their best to kill them. Your cacti look like they will be fine to me. Do be careful not to overwater though. When in doubt, don’t water them. I killed a cactus years ago by caring for it too much😂. The roots just rotted out.

Also, EM-1 is great stuff. I get at least 3 blooms of flowers per year on my Christmas cacti where pre-EM-1, they would just flower around Christmas time.
IMG_3623.jpeg

Edit:Forgot to add the pic…

Last edited:

BumSplodgeBrownPants

I have a saguaro cactus that I bought in 2000 out in AZ. It didn’t grow much for probably 20 years. I had some EM-1 laying around so I fed the thing(it was probably 2”(~5 cm for those playing with metric). It started to grow. It got to about 6 inches tall(15 cm) then one of the cats knocked the top 2” off. I put that piece in some cactus soil and it is now about 4”(10 cm) tall so I guess it rooted. The original sprouted 3 ‘branches’. Then the cats did their dirty work on those and knocked 2 of them off. Those are now in some dirt. I read that the cactus only needed a couple tblsps(30 ml) of water every few months so that is likely why the original grew so slowly. I now give them a half a cup every couple months. So in summary(and I am not growing San Pedro but am thinking of buying a cutting), they likely will grow slowly but are hard to kill even with determined asshole cats doing their best to kill them. Your cacti look like they will be fine to me. Do be careful not to overwater though. When in doubt, don’t water them. I killed a cactus years ago by caring for it too much😂. The roots just rotted out.

Also, EM-1 is great stuff. I get at least 3 blooms of flowers per year on my Christmas cacti where pre-EM-1, they would just flower around Christmas time.
Cheers fogey!

I can literally see these grow if I give them a good dose of organic tomato feed. But it's at the top and not around the middle... unlike myself who is gaining in circumference but not where it matters alas.

These were all grown by seed. Real easy to get going and to this point, but I'm worried they're just going to topple over. Maybe I can cut them and try root them like clones then.? There's San Pedro, some torches and I dunno what else, I'll have a looky for the email when I ordered them.

My peyote that I've been growing for 6 years likes to flower several times a year now. I think she needs a mate, but the seeds I tried have not been the best at sprouting. The root on that thing is very impressive. It's as wide as the top and deep like a parsnip. A very fat parsnip.

I favour the neglect technique for growing most plants around here. 😂 Many of times I have opened the tent and had a plant lying down because somebody forgot to water them the night before and when the coir dries back, they become very top heavy.

oldfogey8

Cheers fogey!

I can literally see these grow if I give them a good dose of organic tomato feed. But it's at the top and not around the middle... unlike myself who is gaining in circumference but not where it matters alas.

These were all grown by seed. Real easy to get going and to this point, but I'm worried they're just going to topple over. Maybe I can cut them and try root them like clones then.? There's San Pedro, some torches and I dunno what else, I'll have a looky for the email when I ordered them.

My peyote that I've been growing for 6 years likes to flower several times a year now. I think she needs a mate, but the seeds I tried have not been the best at sprouting. The root on that thing is very impressive. It's as wide as the top and deep like a parsnip. A very fat parsnip.

I favour the neglect technique for growing most plants around here. 😂 Many of times I have opened the tent and had a plant lying down because somebody forgot to water them the night before and when the coir dries back, they become very top heavy.
You could stake them if you think they may topple. I would guess that being too heavy would promote a stronger root system so I would put a stake a cm away from the top to support it if it starts to tip. Those are impressive from seed btw. Peyote sounds like an interesting cactus to grow. Now you put a bee in my bonnet to get some peyote cacti.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

You could stake them if you think they may topple. I would guess that being too heavy would promote a stronger root system so I would put a stake a cm away from the top to support it if it starts to tip. Those are impressive from seed btw. Peyote sounds like an interesting cactus to grow. Now you put a bee in my bonnet to get some peyote cacti.
Get some! I've had fun looking after this one over the years. Just on the kitchen windowsill.

My peyote could do with a haircut, I'm just about to go clean her up. Those are the old flowers from the last 2 years, I presume I can just pull the fluff off.

DSCF1530.JPG

And these were all from seeds planted about a year ago now. I'm going to buy some more cactus soil and make and take cuts I think, I've just looked into it and yup, slice it across the middle and the base growth will regrow and the top will root if put onto the soil. Might be a good time of year to do them. I'm moving them back in the house too, the wind is making the hoophouse rock and that wibbly wobbly one is about to fall over.

DSCF1531.JPG

oldfogey8

Cheers fogey!

I found this:
1719583697898.png

Magu🌈

I don't know of anyway to be 100% certain any more. Ever since Chat GTP-4 and now Chat GTP-4.o AI chat bots have become very good at simulating a real person. Even to the point of expressing humor and emotions. I mean there is probably some line of discussion that might cause an error that could reveal it's an AI but I have no idea what that line of discussion would be or how exactly it might reveal itself. plus with Chat GTP-5 on the way and is being said to be even better things are just going to get more difficult to tell the difference. Plus these things are self evolving over time as they interact with more and more people.
I just found out that he is a real dude. At least people have sent him seeds. That blows my mind. He acts exactly like a smart phone. Anyway, he is a nice guy just different. I mean REALLY different. 🤣 However, I know he has lied several times so I will keep him at arms length.

Magu🌈

I kinda know they haven't had enough light over the winter, (yup gotta love the UK) but I thought they may fill out during the summer and not just get top heavy like some big daft cactus things.

View attachment 19024400

They will be fine. I grow mine in gravel and let it dry out completely. that way the roots dont rot. These are some Hoodia Gordonaii and opunia.
IMG_4096.JPG

This is a Peruvian torch cactus. It is a close cousin of San Pedro.
2B5B81D6-EC8C-499E-8E37-3A0731CE8BB4.jpeg

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

View attachment 19024400

They are heliocentric, so you might try rotating them so that the sun is not always at the same direction.
It's true,you can't fix stupid

They should be beaten with a dead rabbit!
Cheers fogey!

Before I ate her, my Lophophora Williamsii never blossomed but put on a lot of pups:

Williamsi.JPG

this is the guy that got Brother Boo into bamboo..

View attachment 19024434
The only place that I've seen bamboo that size is in Japan, but the forest were well tended and about half that dense.

jokerman

Premium user
Good ideas! The rewards are so much faster with a cast iron skillet than gardening!

Let AI do the grunt work and what better way to enjoy the newfound freedom than with pot enhancement?

Good morning Walt. Sometimes it’s best to scroll thru comments that are attempting to stir the pot to the point of it not being fun for anyone. I wont take the time to “look back” as I saw each comment elevating the conversation on both sides just a little until it was getting out of hand. This is also the point that other members notice it too and begin to try and help it come to a close by making “cool down fellas” comments. To me, it’s ok to have different opinions even if I don’t agree with them but when it starts getting personal, and then goes another round or two making it even more difficult for everyone and I know just gets you spun up making it difficult to “be the man“ and end it but I know, even you can if you try.
You Know Walt there are a lot of us on this thread like me that love and respect you and look forward to your daily visits here and your fun stories. Don’t let words get in the way of that and if you feel you have to make your point without stirring the whole group up, you can alway take the “non-argument” or what ever you want to call it to the next level in a personal message. You can also hit ignore so you dont have to even see their comments any longer.
Love you Walt 🥰 and I hope your day is good. So let’s hear another cool story ✌️❤️Subbie
There is a reason you are loved❤️☝️

jokerman

Premium user

View attachment 19024400

I wouldn't smoke them.