What's new

Vaporing vs smoking and the effect it has on you

CharlesU Farley

Ok so you mean conduction vaping. I recall a study that found the amount of carcinogenic compounds in the vapor depended on the temperature. And ironically smoking did quite well because despite all the nasties the amount of THC was also high. Can't recall anything scientific about the type of heat source (though an all glass vapor pathway for example does seem appealing to me be that superstition or whatever). But carcinogenic means cancer causing, and COPD isn't a type of cancer. I remember in school some health type class whatever it was the teacher asked us about our smoking habits and most people said they smoke like 10 cigarettes or whatever and he said well that's pretty low you probably won't get lung cancer, but you will get COPD, and it's also a nasty killer illness.
RRT (registered respiratory therapist) here, vaping is without a _doubt_ much, much preferable to smoking cannabis and luckily for us long time users, cannabis is not nearly as deadly as tobacco is, because it's not carcinogenic.

But part of the COPD process is a specific condition called chronic bronchitis, which long-term smoking and vaping cannabis most assuredly causes.

That's one reason I'm all edibles, all the time now... and have been for 6+ years. After 50+ years of cannabis smoking and 15 pack years of cigarette smoking, It was time for me to stop.

Best decision I ever made. :)

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I was a heavy smoker for 37 years quit smoking everything in 16 and went to vaping.
Lungs are clear cardio is excellent snoring stopped I can breathe again.
All while getting higher on way less supply........never going back to smoking that shits gross as hell now.
😆

goingrey

A good vape makes a difference. For bong smokers I recommend the Tinymight 2 with a bong adapter. Heats up in seconds so smoking loses that no waiting around edge, and gives nice thick hits that taste great and pack a punch.

PadawanWarrior

Ok so you mean conduction vaping. I recall a study that found the amount of carcinogenic compounds in the vapor depended on the temperature. And ironically smoking did quite well because despite all the nasties the amount of THC was also high. Can't recall anything scientific about the type of heat source (though an all glass vapor pathway for example does seem appealing to me be that superstition or whatever). But carcinogenic means cancer causing, and COPD isn't a type of cancer. I remember in school some health type class whatever it was the teacher asked us about our smoking habits and most people said they smoke like 10 cigarettes or whatever and he said well that's pretty low you probably won't get lung cancer, but you will get COPD, and it's also a nasty killer illness.
I think your right. It's called conduction. I just always call it combustion for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if it still caused COPD even with a convection vape. My doctors always have asked me if I vaped when I told them I smoked weed. I'd say yes and they'd say good. I probably already have a little COPD from years of smoking cigarettes and weed. At least I quit the cigs when COVID hit.

goingrey

I think your right. It's called conduction. I just always call it combustion for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if it still caused COPD even with a convection vape. My doctors always have asked me if I vaped when I told them I smoked weed. I'd say yes and they'd say good. I probably already have a little COPD from years of smoking cigarettes and weed. At least I quit the cigs when COVID hit.
Combustion means burning (smoking)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I do cardio and I don't get winded. I hike in 100F weather and love it. I have been a gym rat all my life so I am in fair shape for 70. I just fucking wheeze. Even my last checkup went OK. I told him I wheeze a little and he said I sound all clear when he listens with the stethoscope.

I smoke 10 to 20 joints a day. It's not to get high. It's just habit. I am addicted and I chain smoke joints like I used to chain smoke cigarettes. I just think it's time to cut back some. Getting too old. LOL

I hate my Tiny Mite. I have 2 Pax3's that I like. I use my Flowermate slick every morning and also my Borland CFX which is a monster. I have owned a couple hundred vapes and probably still have 40 or 50. LOL

All my vapes are "mouth pull" vapes, not "lung pull". I need the feeling of puffing a joint or a ciggy so I only use vapes with a lot of draw resistance. The Dynavap gives a nice draw but the whole ritual involved is a pain in the ass.

Vapes are OK at home but for someone who is an addict, the vapes are too much trouble out on the go. I am never without an Altoids tin or 2 or 3 or 4 full of joints. I don't leave the house ever with less than 10 joints. Even to go to the store. Just like cigarettes.

I think I'll start cutting back right now... today... right after this joint. LOL

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Get a zeal or omega from these guys and a good bong.
I have a lot of vapes and can't stand any of those portables either.
I do have a portable I love but that took a lot of trial and error..........hence the vape collection.
A ball vape and a bong will definitely get you where you want to be.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
last week in the morning when I was heading home from my girlfriend, I met some guys, they were like 16 years old, I noticed they smoke some shit from pipe... I offered them my joint, they took like two hits, and one of them said wow or something like that. I let them with joint there, they were happy as hell, enjoyed it.

I cant imagine I would go there and offer them my vaporizer LOL

I like to vape hash. vaping herb cant get me high...

roll the joint and pass it around, only from the left side of course... it is the essence of interaction with other smokers, I made many friends like that. with vaporizer I made zero friends LOL

PadawanWarrior

RRT (registered respiratory therapist) here, vaping is without a _doubt_ much, much preferable to smoking cannabis and luckily for us long time users, cannabis is not nearly as deadly as tobacco is, because it's not carcinogenic.

But part of the COPD process is a specific condition called chronic bronchitis, which long-term smoking and vaping cannabis most assuredly causes.

That's one reason I'm all edibles, all the time now... and have been for 6+ years. After 50+ years of cannabis smoking and 15 pack years of cigarette smoking, It was time for me to stop.

Best decision I ever made. :)
I wish smoking weed wasn't carcinogenic but it is.

goingrey

I do cardio and I don't get winded. I hike in 100F weather and love it. I have been a gym rat all my life so I am in fair shape for 70. I just fucking wheeze. Even my last checkup went OK. I told him I wheeze a little and he said I sound all clear when he listens with the stethoscope.

I smoke 10 to 20 joints a day. It's not to get high. It's just habit. I am addicted and I chain smoke joints like I used to chain smoke cigarettes. I just think it's time to cut back some. Getting too old. LOL

I hate my Tiny Mite. I have 2 Pax3's that I like. I use my Flowermate slick every morning and also my Borland CFX which is a monster. I have owned a couple hundred vapes and probably still have 40 or 50. LOL

All my vapes are "mouth pull" vapes, not "lung pull". I need the feeling of puffing a joint or a ciggy so I only use vapes with a lot of draw resistance. The Dynavap gives a nice draw but the whole ritual involved is a pain in the ass.

Vapes are OK at home but for someone who is an addict, the vapes are too much trouble out on the go. I am never without an Altoids tin or 2 or 3 or 4 full of joints. I don't leave the house ever with less than 10 joints. Even to go to the store. Just like cigarettes.

I think I'll start cutting back right now... today... right after this joint. LOL
I can see why you like the Pax, it's one you have to puff on for sure. Momma's titty like I like to call it. :D

goingrey

Get a zeal or omega from these guys and a good bong.
I have a lot of vapes and can't stand any of those portables either.
I do have a portable I love but that took a lot of trial and error..........hence the vape collection.
A ball vape and a bong will definitely get you where you want to be.
How long do the ball vapes take to heat up? And what kind of loads do they take?

PadawanWarrior

You're arguing with/disputing a RRT? :)

Vaping/smoking cannabis is _not_ carcinogenic, that's been proven by _numerous_ medical studies. There is absolutely no increase in Ca rates for cannabis smokers:

Now COPD is a different story. ;)
I wish you were right but you're not. Cannabis smoke does contain carcinogens. Even the article you posted says that "and, like tobacco smoke, cannabis smoke contains carcinogens". It sounds like it has some properties that fight cancer though so that's a good thing at least.

And here's some more info from the American Lung Association. Like I said combustion releases carcinogens. I wish it didn't though.

Marijuana Smoke​

Smoke is harmful to lung health.5,6,8 Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.6-10 Although not as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke,9 marijuana smoke contains toxins and carcinogens similar to those in tobacco smoke.10

CharlesU Farley

I wish you were right but you're not. Cannabis smoke does contain carcinogens. Even the article you posted says that "and, like tobacco smoke, cannabis smoke contains carcinogens". It sounds like it has some properties that fight cancer though so that's a good thing at least.

And here's some more info from the American Lung Association. Like I said combustion releases carcinogens. I wish it didn't though.

Marijuana Smoke​

Smoke is harmful to lung health.5,6,8 Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.6-10 Although not as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke,9 marijuana smoke contains toxins and carcinogens similar to those in tobacco smoke.10
Not going to argue with a non-medical professional but I'll let you in a little secret, just because something that contains carcinogens does not necessarily mean it actually causes cancer.

When you have studied lung anatomy and physiology as much as I have, treated literally thousands of patients with not only lung Ca but COPD as I have and spent _years_ reading and deciphering medical journals/studies, then maybe we can intelligently discuss this matter.

Until then, you might want to keep this in mind:

1000013809.jpg

PadawanWarrior

Not going to argue with a non-medical professional but I'll let you in a little secret, just because something that contains carcinogens does not necessarily mean it actually causes cancer.

When you have studied lung anatomy and physiology as much as I have, treated literally thousands of patients with not only lung Ca but COPD as I have and spent _years_ reading and deciphering medical journals/studies, then maybe we can intelligently discuss this matter.

Until then, you might want to keep this in mind:

View attachment 19025805
No need to get upset. You said cannabis smoke wasn't carcinogenic. I proved it is. If you're claiming to be a medical professional maybe it's time to go back to school.