What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Ya it's not to far away from an H&H375 elephant gun but those are built heavy to help absorb some of that recoil.
Them h&r"s shouldn't of never been made
Reading about the recoil, and hearing from it from people here, I’m wondering if I even should bother putting around in it and pulling the trigger. With my luck it would break my fucking clavicle. That would be the third time my clavicle broke… It’s quite painful.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I’m right handed and had surgery on my right shoulder four years ago. I broke a bone, tore my rotator cuff and ripped the muscle that holds
the bicep up my arm. I sold all my 12 gauge shotguns because of the amount of damage it was doing to my shoulder. I have read that this rifle has less of a kick than a 12 gauge shotgun, but looking at the size of the casing, I don’t know how it can be true

Maybe I need to send it to my buddy Dog and see what kind of damage it does to him before I try to shoot it… from what I’ve read, it’s a fairly sought after gun and one article I saw, said it could take down just about any living creature on the planet. I don’t think I’ll be killing any animals with it but I may be taking it out to my range outback and seeing if I could suffer through it… I’m not a big heavy man, so I’m thinking this thing just might knock me over
You and the dogs should bring it out and lets give her a go!
Plenty of room here to shoot anything for as far as you can.
😍

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The deal changed when I called the guy and told him I was on my way over. He said he’d rather have 2 ounces of flowers than my money, and I was real happy about that. I thought the gun was rather lightweight considering the caliber and yes, I think the gun needs about another 5 pounds of weight to absorb some of that recoil, I wonder if I get a lighter load of powder I would assume it would have less kick to it. I see the average charge at 410 grains and then I see lighter loads at 310 grains. I’m thinking that might be the ticket for me.
I can't find the H&R 45-70 chamber pressure rating but it is an 1871 design. The HR breach is stamped 45-70 Govt, which is about 28KSI chamber pressure and that is what I would shoot. Modern ammo is typically 51KSI.

Not to forget that there is an equal and opposite reaction, so the rifle has the same recoil energy as the bullet, it just weighs more. I looked up the specs for 45-70 Govt and found the following:

300 gr FNL 2,050 ft/sec 2,850 ft/lb
325 gr FTX 2,025 ft/sec 2,950 ft/lb
405 gr LFN 1,330 ft/sec 1,475 ft/lb

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Gray, please explain to me what KSI is all about...I would have thought that the higher the grain the less recoil...I may have one of my buddies fire it first...
got a call about an hour ago asking me if Ivan was at home...I checked and nope, he wandered about a quarter mile from my place...I bellowed his name and he came trotting across the front yard as I was heading down the drive on my side by side...I chastized him and whacked him on the ass prior to having him pen up for a while...little bastage...

Patwillie

boy howdy that will be epic….

i hope you start a grow thread
This year is starting better than the previous 3 years ... no long hospital stays for mate, .. I'll knock on wood for now .

I'm taking the Unca Walt literary approach. write it, reread as writing to get it right .. then publish after the green ink is dry .. a thread I'll try but not promoiss . .... not a free state here

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
IMG_8500.jpeg

Sun&Soil

Maybe I need to send it to my buddy Dog and see what kind of damage it does to him before I try to shoot it… from what I’ve read, it’s a fairly sought after gun and one article I saw, said it could take down just about any living creature on the planet. I don’t think I’ll be killing any animals with it but I may be taking it out to my range outback and seeing if I could suffer through it… I’m not a big heavy man, so I’m thinking this thing just might knock me over
Throw on one of those dog training suits with all the padding, and don't forget a crash helmet :ROFLMAO:

Be safe brother!

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Throw on one of those dog training suits with all the padding, and don't forget a crash helmet :ROFLMAO:

Be safe brother!
yeah, you guys got me thinking, I sure don't need another broken part on me...I think I'll have a buddy shoot it and see how bad it bothers him...my clavicle has 2 speed bumps on it...both doctors couldn't seem to butt to butt the bones...it's not a bother, just looks funny...

MickeyMice

I been looking for you guys everywhere for months. Nobody I ever felt brave enough to ask, would give me a straight answer as to where every one went. I don't care what happened. Holy Cow I Missed You Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's me, Bugus Monkey...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray, please explain to me what KSI is all about...I would have thought that the higher the grain the less recoil...I may have one of my buddies fire it first...
got a call about an hour ago asking me if Ivan was at home...I checked and nope, he wandered about a quarter mile from my place...I bellowed his name and he came trotting across the front yard as I was heading down the drive on my side by side...I chastized him and whacked him on the ass prior to having him pen up for a while...little bastage...
KSI is thousands of pounds per square inch pressure.

The higher the bullet weight and the higher the velocity, the higher the recoil.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Sunrise 6.03am - sunset 18.15 today - almost/virtually a 12/12 photoperiod - over here in suburban London England -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6690866 -
And it's not so cold - spring is in the air - its 5.47.am now - sitting on my little balcony listening to all the birds tweeting out their dawn chorus - supping on the Sumutran cawfee - wondering what this day will reveal -

Latest posts

Latest posts