What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Thai weed from Thailand

Rory Borealis

Veteran
Very interesting about the cinnamon, I hate it too
I think it will not work for the same reason diatomaceous earth doesnt work here
This place is too humid, every night is 99-100% humidity
This is cfa koppen

This is how every morning is, windows and doors are wet too, I am in a microenvironment, 200 meters north of where I am is a little less humid but colder and you have frost in the coldest days
This place never gets frost but too much dew every day like this, so cinammon and diatomaceous earth get wet like this spider web and are useless
View media item 17599948
I use cypermethrin to try to control the ants, so far the most effective method
The thing is like this, there are many ant varieties here and they have different diets
These very small ants are terrible. They come out of nowhere
From something like this basilicum when I spotted the first ones
View attachment 19025953

They turn it into this in just a few hours. I was out of cypermethrin. I would like to find an alternative to pyrethrins. Here it is the best of the organic solutions.
View attachment 19025952

They love kale, beetroot, onion and modern hybrids. They dislike arugula, tomato and thai weed

I wonder if lactobacilus can clean a field where GMO soybean has been grown with plenty of glyphosate
Do you know if lactobacilus will work for cleaning a couple of hectares of soil?
To clean toxic soil, you need to plant non psychoactive hemp. It can clean soil that is contaminated with nuclear radiation. It was used near Chernobyl for this exact purpose. If hemp can transform radiation, glyphosate shouldn't be a problem.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15795030/

ahortator

Veteran

Hemp and the Chernobyl Phytoremediation Project​

In places that do not allow hemp growing(Japan-Fukushima), they have planted sunflowers, mustard and amaranth.
High just after smoking that weed!
1719874945076.png

funkyhorse

I clearly dont find any reliable parameter or pattern that can help predict how the weed will smoke
Be it oxidization colour, smell, taste or resin heads, none of them is helping to predict outcome
The only reliable method I am finding is smoke test in order to determine quality

On the left is N Thai 2008 P1 girl 1 and on the right is N Thai P1 girl 8
To the naked eye girl 8 is a lot more resinous, no need magnifying glass
To the naked hand girl 8 is a lot more sticky
Girl 1 smokes better than girl 8. Girl 1 cuts through my tolerance and is creeper high
N Thai 8 right n Thai 1 left.jpeg

Today another girl with different flowering than sisters made bananas and got the chop
I could have left her to flower more at another room but in a few days it will be full of seeds, I Think this is the most mature I can let them go
Buds are formed well, the intersex ones are less productive than the firm sex sisters
This is another progeny from mom P1 girl 1
The progeny male 3 made is clearly more resinous than mom, no matter if intersex or not
I have no way to know now if it will be on the same level of quality as mom, better or worse
This will get 6 months cure with bananas included in vacuum bag and then I will get answers to the quality question
N thai 2008 P2 1 x 3 banana 2
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (1).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (2).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (3).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (4).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (5).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (6).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (7).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 banana 2 (8).jpeg

funkyhorse

Update Prempavee weed
Phu Phan 5 seeds sprouted out of 6. All 5 plants alive, all sexually firm girls so far

Mekhong Classic 6 seeds out of 6 sprouted. One plant died. 2 plants intersex and today I spotted the birth of a banana, I am having a better look tomorrow. So it would be 3 out of 5 intersex with 2 more plants at the beginning of flowering and have yet to show their sex stability

Phon Sawan 6 seeds out of 6 sprouted. 2 plants died, 2 plants at the beginnig of flowering have to show their sex stability
And these are the other 2 Phon Sawan showing their true sex today, they both went to the intersex room for one or 2 more weeks of flowering before they get fully pollinized
Phon Sawan intersex 1
Phon sawan intersex 1 (1).jpeg
Phon sawan intersex 1 (2).jpeg
Phon sawan intersex 1 (3).jpeg

Phon Sawan intersex 2
Phon sawan intersex 2 (1).jpeg
Phon sawan intersex 2 (2).jpeg
Phon sawan intersex 2 (3).jpeg

It is a little early to say but it seems finding sexually firm plants in the stock being grown in Thailand today will be a difficult task. And this grow is confirming me that if a good thai plant is found, need to keep it as cut because it will be very difficult to find it again.
So in order to be grown in living soil and be worthwhile, I need to keep a thai plant as cut, too much intersex in current thai stock
Even if sexually firm plants are found, I doubt they will breed non intersex plants
This year I am trying to give the longest maturation possible to the intersex plants and giving them long cure
I doubt these intersex plants have better high than their sisters but the only way to know for sure is smoke test
If intersex dont smoke better then it is a totally undesirable trait because they clearly give low productivity or affect negatively the productivity

Today I chopped another P2 N Thai 1 x 3
This is inbreeding depression pheno. If I get 3 grams out of this plant is a lot
The Northern Thai 2008 P2 progeny shows foxtails buds.
Foxtail=low productivity
Have to check the high if this is worth or not
N Thai 1 x 3 inbreeding depression pheno (1).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 inbreeding depression pheno (2).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 inbreeding depression pheno (3).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 inbreeding depression pheno (4).jpeg

funkyhorse

What yesterday seemed to be the birth of male eggs in the third Mekhong Classic girl, today is a confirmed intersex
So for Mekhong Classic at the moment numbers are 3 out of 5 intersex with the other 2 plants showing pistils and coming behind, so sex not fully developed

Difficult to work with for sure, it wont be easy to find firm sex girls in this stock
Mekhong Classic intersex 3
MKC intersex 3 (1).jpeg
MKC intersex 3 (2).jpeg
MKC intersex 3 (3).jpeg

funkyhorse

N Thai 8 x 2 line gives extreme foxtail inbreeding depression progeny at F2
Very beautiful to see but very low productivity
A few foxtails with botrytis with maximum temperatures of 18C, very cold days indicated time to chop
This is the least resistant to botrtytis of the 3 different progenies tested
N Thai 8 x 2 (1).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 2 (4).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 2 (5).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 2 (6).jpeg

funkyhorse

Harvesting thais is a lot of trimming work
Last year was too much pressure on the harvest
This year I am harvesting in a longer time span, I go slowly and plants receive more careful trimming, specially knowing what the effects are like

This winter is terrible, since I am living here it is the coldest year by far and reports say it is the coldest winter since 2011
We are going through a polar cold wave, outdoors temperatures range from 2C-10C

The maximum in the greenhouse when it is sunny is 18.5C. I am impressed the plants keep maturing, I am also impressed the new tomato seedling are sprouting under this cold
What is good about the cold is that it kills bugs. This harvest year so impressive, plants are almost clean from bugs, just a very tiny little bit not affecting plants at all and not needing to spray plants with anything
Because of this if theory is right this year harvest should be better than last year harvest

I am harvesting the P1s bud by bud and trying to leave as much leaf and stems as I can from the plants hoping it will help them survive the winter and reveg by november
This is N Thai 1 in living soil
N Thai 1 soil (3).jpeg

These are the buds I am harvesting from N Thai 1 both in pot and in soil. It is impressive how thick the stems get in living soil. Plants love it
N Thai 2008 girl 1 living soil bud
N Thai 1 soil (2).jpeg

N Thai 1 in 20 lt pot bud
N Thai 1 pot.jpeg

Yesterday harvest, I spotted 1 banana, just 1 and at the end of flowering. It doesnt bother me at all but no wonder intersex phenos in the progeny. I also spotted one mature seed and have no clue where it is coming from. Just one seed. All plants are seedless and I didnt do any pollinization with thais this year
N Thai 1 (8).jpeg
N Thai 1 (9).jpeg

This is from the Thai 1 mom crossed to male 3 tropical pheno
All plants are green coming from male 3. The ones coming from mom 1 are a lot more productive than the ones coming from girl 8
In all of the P2 crossings there are intersex plants and there are undesirable inbreeding depression phenos, this is more noticeable coming from the progeny of girl 8
N Thai 2008 P2, the fat plants are the daughters of mom 1 and the thinner ones from girl 8
N Thai P2 (4).jpeg

N Thai P2 1 x 3 girl 4
N Thai 1 x 3 4 (1).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 4.jpeg

N Thai 1 x 3 25 lt pot
N Thai 1 x 3 25 lts (1).jpeg
N Thai 1 x 3 25lts.jpeg

Busy month, every day some harvest, a lot of trimming these plants need
I am impressed they keep going quite well with the cold. Both moms survived last winter, I hope they do it again, this winter is challenging

funkyhorse

Thanks for sharing!
I love seeing you grow the native Thai genetics in their natural environment.

Can't imagine life in Thailand with temps 10 - 18° C.
But when it helps with the bugs 👍🏼

Sawadee khrab 🙏🏼
Sawadeekhap 🙏
I lived in Thailand until 7 years ago
I am growing native thai seed coming from the Mekhong River basin or the Salween River basin at another river basin in South America.
Paraná basin is very cold this year even at the tropic of Capricorn this winter in South America temperatures below 0C
https://en.mercopress.com/2024/07/01/subzero-temperatures-recorded-in-southern-brazil

It helps with the bugs and I am very impressed about the weed cold tolerance this year

It is interesting to note different opinions about weed
On oxidation colour
As a user I only looked how weed smoked
Veteran master growers have different opinions on the subject
Tom Hill talks about gold as Nexus said. It is not clear at all what he calls gold though.
Wally said brown
hempy said brown and red

I am sure if we keep asking veteran old growers more colours will come up
My conclusion about this is there is nothing conclusive about weed oxidation colour and as I thought it is not an indication of potency

Tom Hill said:
We only care about resin field density and trichome head size then we can move on to effect..all of this other bullshit is just that, bullshit..
i cant agree with this at all
So basically he is testing only resinous weed and leaving out of any chance of trial all other weed he thinks is not good by the looks. He is biased against the non so resinous plants
This is not hash, marihuana is about bud smoking, not the resin extract like hashplants
No wonder we are getting less than 5% quality plants in all of the canna genepool
A lot of quality plants dont even make it to flower

The best weed with the best effects I smoked in my life in bud form was what americans call schwag
I was even smoking the leaves and whatever part of the stem I could chop and smoke in a tiny pinner, smoke a couple of tokes and be very high
With all these resinous plants you need to make rosin or extract to get very high

For me it is still down to smoke test
Some plants with more resin field and big trichome heads are less sticky than others
I dont find any rule nor any pattern in this to predict quality

These are the progeny of girl 8
The progeny done with equatorial male 2 is making purple
I am now thinking that the thai weed turning purple here are lowland equatorials, weed made below lat 15N
According to Tom I should throw this to the garbage. Small resin heads and purple. Sacrilege weed this one
I think it might be lower quality than progeny from girl 3 but not for those reasons.
In general tropical thai is better weed than the equatorial one. And at my part of the world, I will always have a better result with tropical weed than equatorial. But you never know until you try test it and it will get the same treatment as all the rest with good 5 to 6 months minimum cure in vacuum bag
N Thai 8 x 2
N Thai 8 x 2 (7).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 2 (8).jpeg

Progeny from girl 8 crossed to tropical male 3
All plants green, no purple from the tropical male
N Thai 8x 3 tall, she is the latest girl of all
N Thai 8 x 3 tall.jpeg

N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1 got the chop
Very resinous, sticky resin
N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1.jpeg
N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1 (1).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1 (2).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1 (3).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1 (4).jpeg
N Thai 8 x 3 girl 1 (5).jpeg

funkyhorse

@MadMac

Congrats on your new website
I cant afford to buy at these prices at all, out of reach economically for this continent

If you are interested in a test grow of your goods
I would like to see Manga Rosa grown in her native continent

I would love to grow this side by side with Northern Thai 2008
The stock from Gypsy was sourced in 2007 Nongkhai Highlands
This would be the proper thread for this strain

I wouldnt mind trying a couple of your feminized Ohz90 at all. But I would love to grow the Manga Rosa and the 2007 Nongkhai Highlands Thai weed

Good luck and best wishes for your new enterprise

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
holy cow ,
$24 aud per seed for that 70 s thai ...
that seems very expensive to me ...

also , what are you calling equatorial vs tropical funky ,
i always figured they are the same thing and the tropics stretch to the tropic of capricorn in the northern hemisphere or tropic of cancer in the southern hemisphere from 0 to 22 degrees in either direction ...

and tom said brown , i said golden , a lot of nice weed i have had was golden , or cured to a golden color , its not necessarily about the color of course though ...

funkyhorse

I am calling equatorial what is grown from lat 15N to lat 15S
And tropical is north or south of that to the tropic and a litle bit beyond like 25S

For me it is also most of thais the same thing and the differences is adaptation to their environments
The south east asian tropical weed I smoked in real life is better than the equatorial
Cambodia is equatorial
Laos is tropical except the stretch from Pakse south to Cambodian border
The weed I got in Laos was always 2 levels up over the weed I could find in Indonesia or cambodia or the brick sold in SEAsia like the pics you posted
I was travelling to Laos just to smoke that weed, I spent 4 years coming and going from Laos

I showed Tom this pic and the others
N Thai 8 last year bud (3)(1).jpeg

For him this is brown I guess, colour explaining I think is no less difficult as terpene description
I also commented on inbreeding depression I am seeing at F3 from the Raco´s repro and this is Tom answer
Tom Hill said:
Inbreeding depression is a lack of heterosis by definition nothing more or less. Yes, all my lines are more bred than most.

The color I am talking about is lighter than what you posted, golden, not brown.

Hempy showed some brown brick posted by StocktonT some time ago.
I have never seen a brick like what StocktonT showed in real life, it looks fermented
Hempy also posted some thai red bud

I cant comment on the colour subject. Most sativas were bricked back in the day and when I got sativa buds was schwag, poorly trimmed buds that look like the High Times 70s pics but these buds kicked ass

Those Gypsy Thai Stick 07 seeds are on offer, bargain price
Look at the price of Ohz90 fem, very cheap for you my friend

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I am calling equatorial what is grown from lat 15N to lat 15S
And tropical is north or south of that to the tropic and a litle bit beyond like 25S

For me it is also most of thais the same thing and the differences is adaptation to their environments
The south east asian tropical weed I smoked in real life is better than the equatorial
Cambodia is equatorial
Laos is tropical except the stretch from Pakse south to Cambodian border
The weed I got in Laos was always 2 levels up over the weed I could find in Indonesia or cambodia or the brick sold in SEAsia like the pics you posted
I was travelling to Laos just to smoke that weed, I spent 4 years coming and going from Laos
these things may be just due to how they are grown , whether they are harvested mature ,
handled well , dried properly and were decent enough seed to have grown in the first place ,
the location may have no bearing at all on the variation of quality ,
thats why i was interested to know the difference you were seeing ...

Also its important to note , you may have gotten seed from a specific area ,
but the weed itself may not have been grown there , or anywhere nearby ..

im betting with the same seeds , i could grow equal quality over the whole range of the tropics as long as the conditions were suited to grow cannabis , ie having a long enough time dry for harvest etc ..
thats the point im trying to make funky ......

For him this is brown I guess, colour explaining I think is no less difficult as terpene description
I also commented on inbreeding depression I am seeing at F3 from the Raco´s repro and this is Tom answer
Tom Hill said:
with reference to haze funky??
its very inbred from what one can tell by posts sam has made ,
then further by others , it may be f3 via raco , but could be f13 considering all the hands it has been through etc
inbreeding depression has a range of symptoms other than just a lack of vigor according to what i read ,
all the way to inability to reproduce ,

i recall sam mentioning this when he spoke of the work they did with selfing in the past ....
Hempy showed some brown brick posted by StocktonT some time ago.
I have never seen a brick like what StocktonT showed in real life, it looks fermented
Hempy also posted some thai red bud
thai red bud??
im always careful listening to that guy ,
he talks a lot of shit and sometimes has no idea what he is talking about..
not stocktont of course ,, lol ..

maybe the stuff stockton posted wasnt 100% dry when sealed ,
thereby indeed causing some fermentation similar to what our friend posts in the Malawi Cob thread ,
some of the stuff we had also smelt a bit like that had occured ,
like fermented xmas cake , or fruit ,
but the weed was pretty good to toke ,

i too enjoyed several lots of the brick we got in thailand ,
very enjoyable , often energetic , and made me feel like going out ,
and being social ...

Nexus7

thai red bud??
im always careful listening to that guy ,
he talks a lot of shit and sometimes has no idea what he is talking about..

Give it a rest Wal! You know full well "that guy" doesn't post here anymore.

You're coming off looking like an obsessed jealous ex-girlfriend! And are a big part of the reason why people here are leaving for other forums.

One would expect a moderator to hold themselves to a higher standard!

Nexus7

Fyi @funkyhorse according to TomHill purple flowers are ok as long as the leaves stay green ... It's a photosynthesis issue I believe.

But I also agree it's all about how it smokes that matters. I've heard plenty of oldtimers stories about schwaggy looking weed with no visible resin producing spectacular effects!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Give it a rest Wal! You know full well "that guy" doesn't post here anymore.

You're coming off looking like an obsessed jealous ex-girlfriend! And are a big part of the reason why people here are leaving for other forums.

One would expect a moderator to hold themselves to a higher standard!
Pretty sure no one needs your comment nexus,
My opinion is no concern of yours .
You don't need to defend the guy as you constantly seem to be doing, it's more likely your the girlfriend the way u do that ..
People come and go , its the natural flow on forums and none are leaving due to me I assure you ..
Moderators are allowed opinions and to speak their minds , so don't be telling me what I should be posting.
Now be a good fella and run along now...

Latest posts

Latest posts