What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Gorilla Glue #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
yes, in a sense that clones from clones from clones will somehow contribute to the degradation of present DNA. I don't personally support that theory.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
the DNA of a clone isn't going to change regardless of how old it it...cellular mitosis people...it's how plants grow...it starts with one cell that has a specific set of genes, that cell splits, then those cells split, and so on and so forth...the cells at the apical meristem are just clones of the same cells that made up the cotyledons of the seedling no matter how long ago that cultivar was a seedling. phenotypical(making words up here, merriem-webster might want to look into adding this one! hahah)expression will change based on many factors such as environment, light spectrum etc. so although the plant may exhibit differences from room to room or from run to run the DNA makeup of that plant has not changed one bit. hence, why I personally believe genetic drift is a myth/excuse.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I havent seen genetic drift myself but stories like Skunk#1 and RKS and the like, and how they arent as good as it used to be and yadda yadda, lead me to believe that overtime a strain, especially a clone only, would loose something like vigor. Or maybe even change terps like todays Skunks are sweeter rather than skunky. Im by no means an expert in this area so I guess the post was almost a question.
"Could you really patent genetic markers in a strain and have it be the same 30 years from now?"
That was just a thought I had.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
GREAT INFO ^^^^

thanks for that link bobble, I noticed that article was geared around DNA repair in human cells I wonder what if any differences there are to plant cells regarding DNA repair.

bobblehead

Veteran
Cells are fundamentally the same. DNA codes them for a specific purpose. Without trying to sound snobby it's just a different level of understanding biology. You've gotta put in the time reading.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Cells are fundamentally the same. DNA codes them for a specific purpose. Without trying to sound snobby it's just a different level of understanding biology. You've gotta put in the time reading.

not snobby at all man, I personally am more of a physics guy. Although I have been known to take an occasional plant biology/botany/plant science class at the local community college just for fun and to keep my mind sharp...hard to beat $20 a unit lol

TheDank23

Veteran
Gotcha. Makes sense. I havent seen genetic drift myself but stories like Skunk#1 and RKS and the like, and how they arent as good as it used to be and yadda yadda, lead me to believe that overtime a strain, especially a clone only, would loose something like vigor. Or maybe even change terps like todays Skunks are sweeter rather than skunky. Im by no means an expert in this area so I guess the post was almost a question.
"Could you really patent genetic markers in a strain and have it be the same 30 years from now?"
That was just a thought I had.

We have SamS to thank for that...... jerkface :biggrin:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got most of the glue trimmed had to stop my back/Shoulder are killing me.

Who has reveged a big plant??.. If I leave the bottom 2 branches you guys think that's enough to reveg or should I leave more?? She is about 6' the bottom 2 are at about 4'

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
not me but that reminded me of the picture hl45 posted. he harvested 7 pounds off one plant he had revegged. . all indoor. thats not adding both harvest either. he harvested some amount, revegged it, grew into a tree and flipped it again for a second harvest of 7 pounds.
crazy.

Chemdawggy Dawg

I have never revegged but I've taken clones that were basically finished buds and they reverted back to veg within a month or so under 24 hour light. Only one clone went it was pretty funny looking for a while, just a bud with roots, but is just as good as ever. I did it to save a special plant in dwc. I am sure yours will reveg no matter what under 24 hours at least to the point you can get good clones.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
I'm on my 2nd run and I am already noticing changes. All the plants I have in flower came from 5 moms. None of the moms had over a 5 finger leaf. Most of the plants in flower have 7 fingers. I am also noticing the stretch is half and the nodes are much closer than what it was the first run but that could be the lights I am using now. The buds are forming faster and I am already getting frost on the leaves. All this could be because of the change in nutes, lights, temp and so on. I know they couldn't be happier. A little less than 3 weeks now at 12/12.

genetic drift? lol thats a speedboat.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The reveg would be for " Walking Dead" :D.. I have done clones from flowing plants with 100% success.. I have some cuts taken but will also reveg. I don't want to lose this one.

picture.php

picture.php

Tardigrade

I got most of the glue trimmed had to stop my back/Shoulder are killing me.

Who has reveged a big plant??.. If I leave the bottom 2 branches you guys think that's enough to reveg or should I leave more?? She is about 6' the bottom 2 are at about 4'

If you cut down a large plant to just the lowers, you might want to prune the roots to a smaller pot. Otherwise, those surplus roots could over-fertilize. I use plain water too, since there is no growth / minimal activity those first few weeks.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't even think about that. I was just going on instinct. I was gonna flush like I always do. Shoud l still do that. If I do there wont be any nutrients left in the medium and whats left will be yellow. I don't think I should flush.

Time is not an issues so if it takes 1-6months im OK with that. I cant lose this plant So will do what ever is needed to get her to reveg.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
if losing it is absolutely not an option why not just cut some tops off for sample smoke now and put the rest of it into your veg room...I'd think your odds would be better if you were trying to revert the majority of the plant back to veg asap...but then again I'm sure you are probably much more experienced with revegging than I am. what strain is that PF?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THE WHOLE 6' i DON'T THINK IT WILL FIT LOL.. I dont reveg plants this size. All I have done is cloned buds. Witch I have going now as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts