What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

A Guide to Fishsticks

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
11 AM until 5:30 PM ....Place is turning into a ghost town around here today...

Yeah, weather is cooling by a few degrees...
A few more weeks it should be nice out..

The hideout is stinky...Giant buds everywhere!
I'll be chopping a couple early girls tomorrow morning and then I'll just be watching every day for chop dates...
Should all be hanging by the first few days of October...

Damn...then I have to start doing the shitty work....
Oh well, I'll just keep thinking about the guy and his wife who drive all the way out here in early December!

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
The hideout is stinky...Giant buds everywhere!
I'll be chopping a couple early girls tomorrow morning and then I'll just be watching every day for chop dates...
Should all be hanging by the first few days of October...

Nice Bud Green! So no issues a lot of outdoor growers face? Acclimated strains for your area?......must be nice to walk upon a nicely done stanky outdoor grow.....

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
must be nerve wracking too...indoors is bad enough...

not much going on here,just counting down the last hot days and looking forward to cranking the cookie factory up for the holidays...and of course prime riding season...really going to try and get out for some overnighters while the weather is good...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Yeah, sometimes it is nerve wracking...
So much shit could happen and ruin 5 months of work...
I've thought hard about moving indoors or to a greenhouse..

I'll be doing some over-nighters at the hideout as soon as the temps cool down a few degrees more...

It's pretty cool waking up in a sleeping bag with bud-monsters towering over your head!

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Starting to stink over here too.
You are a bit ahead of me Bud. My Sour Dubb looks like it will be the first ones chopped.
I just did 50 clones. I hate doing that!
Strawberry Banana, Sour Diesel, Juicy Fruit, Watermelon Head, Melon 3 , Sour Dubb x Maple, OGM Maple, Chocolate Kush, Bucksaw 7, DBMH2, and a few others

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got 7 more Snowman s1 x Bio D up. The last 2 from the other set are in flower from that round. I think #3 is the keeper until the next 7 get there turn to evaluate. #4 looks really good as well. I think I will call this Bioman.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I just transplanted 17 rooted clones into medium. I got one OGM to root so far. Relief!
I think I have most Bucksaw accounted for as well. Also the OGs, and sour dub, and DBMH

There are about 70 more cuttings in the trays waiting to root

onavelzy

Veteran
That's beautiful Dr. P

Morning folks....time to get moving

Dome usage should be dictated by climate I believe...unc lives in a dry climate, I have better luck w/o a dome since the humidity is always 50% ish.
One tip I have learned is to make a small hole with a skewer and use it instead. Tighter fit around the stem. I use the powdered rooting hormone from HD.

Rapid Rooters are an easy reliable way to clone for sure. Name brand Rapid Rooters...I have tried others with not so much luck.

View Image

I've done a two side by side comparisons of rooters vs rock wool cubes. ran two to three cuts of each strain in each rooting medium. One run was six strains, the other was nine. The success rate for rooting and survival was essentially equal but the cubes showed roots sooner and the plants looked less stressed/nutrient deprived as well.

plus, with cubes I just set them in the trays and you can see the roots. with the rooters, I have to either tilt the tray up to see th bottom to see if there's roots or I have to dig each rooter out of it's pocket in the tray.

for ease of use and general sense of a healthier plant, I've opted for rock wool cubes.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I've done a two side by side comparisons of rooters vs rock wool cubes. ran two to three cuts of each strain in each rooting medium. One run was six strains, the other was nine. The success rate for rooting and survival was essentially equal but the cubes showed roots sooner and the plants looked less stressed/nutrient deprived as well.

plus, with cubes I just set them in the trays and you can see the roots. with the rooters, I have to either tilt the tray up to see th bottom to see if there's roots or I have to dig each rooter out of it's pocket in the tray.

for ease of use and general sense of a healthier plant, I've opted for rock wool cubes.
With all due respect, clones should not be looking deprived by the time roots show, that would be user error. They should look the exact same after two weeks in the cloner as when they went in. If they’re yellowing something is off. Probably too much light which will encourage plant growth instead of root growth.
With that said, definitely use whatever method gets you the results you need as that is the only thing that matters, roots getting made.

Morning all.

onavelzy

Veteran
With all due respect, clones should not be looking deprived by the time roots show, that would be user error. They should look the exact same after two weeks in the cloner as when they went in. If they’re yellowing something is off. Probably too much light which will encourage plant growth instead of root growth.
With that said, definitely use whatever method gets you the results you need as that is the only thing that matters, roots getting made.

Morning all.

Lol, I'll gladly take any respect you are willing to throw my way but I would argue the "due" part of things. it's all been a learning process for me Tree. I just finished my fourth grow.

Early on, I had clone runs where things dried out too much, times where it got too cool because I forgot to turn on the heating mat, etc. I never had big loss rates, maybe 2-5% in my worst runs but I couldn't say the early efforts produced pretty looking plants when I got to the potting stage.

I've learned to use the biggest, most vigorous cuttings I can take, to keep more moisture in the base of the tray, etc. That said, in equal conditions, whether they were less than ideal or not, the cube clones grew better than the rooters.

That's just my limited experience, but it is comparing likes to likes. I've not used aero cloners yet. I debated getting one to see how they did but none of the shops here carried the version I wanted to try so I just went with what I started out with.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...

yup,i use a 15w cfl bulb for my cloning area,probably dont even need that since theres ambient light from the rest of the room...during most of the year it takes me 10-14 days to have roots coming out the rr's and another few days from the time they go into cups to get them adjusted to the ambient humidity level in the room which is often fairly low...

alrighty,my week has gone all kitty wumpus....i am going to break down plants today,and again on friday so the trimming part is going to eat up way more time than i hoped...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Areo's work well. If not kept clean they will become your worst enemy. Keeping water temps low is difficult. I have a 9 spot ez cloner that heats water up to 90f when left alone. I don't use it very often.That's why I designed my mist cloner I use regularly. It has a built in ice probe that I can set to any temp.. warm water promotes bacteria and has less O2.

So far im liking the terps coming off Zurple punch bx. I have 3 in flower the 1st 1 is very nice. Smells great decent sized flowers. . 2nd is a mutant. Looked normal in veg but the flowers are super tiny but smells awesome. 3rd is only 2 weeks in.
picture.php

Last edited:

gmanwho

Veteran
A healthy Mom/Donor is often the first thing overlooked.

I got one particular plant, Hells angel og x sfv bx (or something close to that),even with the slightest purpling of the stems she will root at like a 10% rate. an will take 20+ days.....IF they root

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I've always felt that cloning successes is a personal thing...
Whatever works best for you...

I've tried lots of methods, including floating them in water or using cloning misters...

I now stick to what has always worked best for me...
I use 6 or 8 oz. clear plastic cups filled with 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite...

the cups have holes drilled in the bottom of them and sit in cupcake trays...
no rooting powders or hormones...I use good tap water because I think the tiny amount of chlorine keeps the water from getting slimy..

Takes 8 to 14 days to see roots right thru the cups..

Also, I put the cup trays in large, clear plastic Sterlite storage bins and leave the lid open about 1/2 inch...
put the bin across the room with 18 hours of indirect light...

I almost always have a 100% success rate...

But everyone has a method that works best for them..
Once you find it, stick with that method!

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
To much stash?

To much stash?

I had my son cut and trim a couple of plants...

Now the tells me a case of Ball Jars is full of cured and trimmed dank weed.

:party: I guess I’ll have to have a party.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I think some telimarketer is spoofing my phone number. I keep getting calls from people saying I called them. Their number is not in my call log and I know I didnt call them.

I have had the same thing happen to me when I call back to a number that called me. They didnt call me.

I dont know maybe it was that Nigerian prince I have as a cousin using my phone when I dont see him.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude,trade that lame cousin for one from wakanda and get on the vibranium tip yo!

back from leaf plucking...went pretty quick with just two people,helps that it was two people working rather than doing dabs and talking...

got some cbd salve today...looking forward to the next long bike ride to see if it helps with the "taint elmo's fire" and sore knees...

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I think some telimarketer is spoofing my phone number. I keep getting calls from people saying I called them. Their number is not in my call log and I know I didnt call them.

I have had the same thing happen to me when I call back to a number that called me. They didnt call me.

I dont know maybe it was that Nigerian prince I have as a cousin using my phone when I dont see him.

I've gotten into the habit of not answering any phone calls that I don't know the number that they are calling me from. If a message is left in my voice mail saying who they are I can call them back if I want too.

I've seen phone numbers like 000-000-0000 show up. Then I'm like WTF I'm not answering that number.

Every so often I'll get weird text messages from numbers I don't know, with very bad grammar, most often implying context that could infer suggestive sexual text. I don't reply to any text messages like that, when I don't know the number (and I've never seen that number before). Seams like text "fishing" to me.

Latest posts

Latest posts