What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why I don't believe in f-cking with the sexuality of cannabis

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
now that makes difference, individual phenos judged by growers and smokers, and elite for breeding purposes. not the same horses

eastcoastjoe

what makes something elite? this scene has a lot of hype, and some cultivars are far away from hitting the mark of elite

I agree with you. Some of these older cultivars that were once considered elite because they stood the test of time, aren’t so elite anymore.
But that somewhat reinforces what I’m saying because that means the things taking there place are higher quality. Most of those things are hybrids of these same things being said to be the terminator of the gene pool lol. It’s clearly not true

eastcoastjoe

I dont like being super judgmental or outting people but i could grab some pics and easily convince all if those plants were to be selfed and perpetuated by unknown growers making hybrids we'd cry

Are you saying some of your plants could be selfed and would blow everything away in quality ?

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Black Rose is pretty close, but not cherry tomato close lol. I’m at F13 now. The traits are surely locked in at this point, but it means nothing at all to the end-user in regards to quality. Unless all you want it for is to guarantee the same look ,I think we could all agree that the general consensus is quality over everything.

View attachment 19035028 View attachment 19035029 View attachment 19035030 View attachment 19035031
Those plants look nothing alike other than color tone.
I have been out a dozen gens and started over due to shit stacking over time.
Lots of really long winded intellectual sounding posts with big words on this topic with very little to show for it regards consistency.

eastcoastjoe

Those plants look nothing alike other than color tone.
I have been out a dozen gens and started over due to shit stacking over time.
Lots of really long winded intellectual sounding posts with big words on this topic with very little to show for it regards consistency.

It’s because you never grew a pack or two of these. But at any rate, what else on the market has the consistency you speak of and rivals quality of current varieties ?
Also, let’s see yours now

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
@dogzter some hemp cultivars like - tiborszállási landrace, or kompolti yellow stemmed. but hard to tell example of drug type lines due to the long prohibition. simply those were not allowed to work with.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
It’s because you never grew a pack or two of these. But at any rate, what else on the market has the consistency you speak of and rivals quality of current varieties ?
Also, let’s see yours now
Nothing does that's my point.
I had the last 10 g13 x bsh f1 seeds in 06 from ndnguy and those made it all over the world and have been used quite a bit.
Not to mention the subsequent gens none of which I would consider consistent even after dozens of gens.
As far as pics of plants goes.......what would you like to see?
DSC-0196.jpg

Color..........we have that.
CSC-0312.jpg

Resin production.........check.
7-BED1-F9-F-72-C2-4-A7-A-973-D-1-FD81-FC8-B69-A.jpg
Rock hard.........why not.
DSC-0537 (1).jpg

This cut went west from Florida in 99 and has made it all over the world as well.
I can keep going but you get the drift.
👍🏾
@dogzter some hemp cultivars like - tiborszállási landrace, or kompolti yellow stemmed. but hard to tell example of drug type lines due to the long prohibition. simply those were not allowed to work with.
I just don't think cannabises will settle down and be consistent.

eastcoastjoe

Nothing does that's my point.
I had the last 10 g13 x bsh f1 seeds in 06 from ndnguy and those made it all over the world and have been used quite a bit.
Not to mention the subsequent gens none of which I would consider consistent even after dozens of gens.
As far as pics of plants goes.......what would you like to see?
View attachment 19035064
Color..........we have that.
View attachment 19035065
Resin production.........check.
View attachment 19035066 Rock hard.........why not.
View attachment 19035067
This cut went west from Florida in 99 and has made it all over the world as well.
I can keep going but you get the drift.
👍🏾

I just don't think cannabises will settle down and be consistent.

I think I may have misunderstood what you’re saying then because I agree with that. Hardly anything is uniform like vegetable varieties.
That black ruse I showed you, is probably the most uniform seed line that I have ever grown personally but at the end of the day, I don’t think it really means much lol if the end the quality isn’t there, then what’s the point.

Thats cool to see you have those from NDN. He never got me those before he passed away. I am grateful due to have gotten some other stuff from him. Definitely a great guy and will be missed dearly.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I think I may have misunderstood what you’re saying then because I agree with that. Hardly anything is uniform like vegetable varieties.
That black ruse I showed you, is probably the most uniform seed line that I have ever grown personally but at the end of the day, I don’t think it really means much lol if the end the quality isn’t there, then what’s the point.

Thats cool to see you have those from NDN. He never got me those before he passed away. I am grateful due to have gotten some other stuff from him. Definitely a great guy and will be missed dearly.
No worries and he did a lot to spread the love........he was a good man.
Him being that way profoundly effected my life and will do so until I die.

numberguy

It is my humble opinion that potency comes from the males. When you remove them from the equation you remove the chances of potency increases. [Fact] males make millions of grains of pollen females make thousands of seeds, where is something more likely hiding? and the chances of mutation increase with the numbers.

CharlesU Farley

Got a new computer that I'm installing Windows 11 on, which is a new one for me, so I'm very jacked up for time now. Lots of posts I want to respond to but don't have the time. :)

The basic point I was trying to make in the initial post is that males bring something to the combination that is _very_ similar to "hybrid vigor" from disparate cannabis _genotypes_.

Look at the first pic I posted of the disparate males from my reverse engineered Northern Lights to get an idea what males can bring to the equation.

Notice the difference on the staminate plant on the far right versus the staminate plant on the far left? I'll give you a little hint, they're not different _phenotypes_, they're different _genotypes_, from one of the most stabilized, uniform cannabis "strains" of cannabis that has _ever_ been developed. :eek:

Do ya'll think someone who has been growing cannabis for a couple of _years_ will realize the difference in what the staminate plants can bring to the combination, without the need for chemical sexual manipulation?

Weekends coming up so should have a bit more time to delve into this and explain why I feel the way I do. As ya'll know, I'm a fucking dinosaur. 😯

Mudballs, you're most certainly not arrogant, your knowledgeable!! While I'm sure we disagree on a lot of things, unlike on RIU, here on ICM I _know_ where you're coming from.;) :) 😂

Janborrego

Or they just want to grow some cannabis. There are gazillions of growers who have no interest in making seeds or breeding. Feminized seeds saves them time and space.

Also I'd love to see some evidence that feminized seeds are in any way inferior to regular seeds. That feminized seeds are more prone to hermies myth is directly from the interwebs and bro science.

I have only had a few plants hermies in my day and they were both regular and fem seeds. Unstable cross equals hermie whether it is reg or fem seed.
Usually hermies are caused by excess stress from heat/light and a million other thing new or inexperienced growers put plants through. I use fems a lot but not always. Every year I throw out as many as I harvest because of males. I am lucky I can legally grow 24 plants here many are not lucky. I looked up Il for my niece. You can only grow 5 if you have a medical mj card otherwise you have to buy it. Dumb ass law

Shua1991

You don't achieve heterosis by inbreeding.

This is demonstrable in the real world. This is why outcrossing is important. Males can provide more variation in offspring, that's it. Selecting for shorter or taller males impacts the offspring(this occurs with females too) so this sounds like a "deepity."

Latest posts

Latest posts