What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why I don't believe in f-cking with the sexuality of cannabis

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Give me a little time and I'll explain how I do it. Most won't agree, and that's quite all right. ;)

I'll give you a hint, it doesn't have anything to do with microscopic analysis of resin globules or a scratch and sniff of the main stem. :eek:
Me either here its a combo of structure and surviving the testing.
Thought I had a good candidate this year but the dogs ate him first day after being put in the ground
🙄

Shua1991

All that tells you is your selection was too small to find a plant with the right set of recessive "funky" genes that got overpowered when inbreeding and you chose a plant with dominant inbred "sweetness", thiol content also correlates to your sulfur availability in soil. Adding fish bone meal to your soil mix with a tiny bit of "garden gypsum" (calcium sulfate) and dolomite lime will increase the sulfur uptake of your plant and help maintain calcium, magnesium, sulfur, silica*.

The only thing that matters is the performance of the offspring. Did you succeed in your selection process, or fail? Are you aware of why it failed? It takes years to pin down which traits are recessive and dominant, or co-dominant. This is why testing offspring is the only way to know and testing males(pollen donors) prior to testing offspring reduces the odds of failure.

So stem rubs help identify chemotype/phytochemicals and phenotype, It doesn't tell you if the "male" you are flowering passes on intersex genes, you'd have to observe those traits via testing.
IMG_20231231_132053.jpg

Resin gland production is also something you SHOULD look for, everyone who has bred cannabis seriously knows males that express feminine traits without showing intersex, are prized males, especially if by senescence they show no signs of intersex.

Last edited:

mudballs

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's the right way to go Or that even the breeder got there the right way. that plant is beautiful but it could also be messed up that's what makes them special they're one in a million.999000 plants suck

mudballs

An example would be a breeder finding a great plant but 2 guys before him used a hermi heavy line or something and he just accidentally perpetuated the oopsies...self the wrong plant and whole line is fkt

eastcoastjoe

An example would be a breeder finding a great plant but 2 guys before him used a hermi heavy line or something and he just accidentally perpetuated the oopsies...self the wrong plant and whole line is fkt

One could easily make the argument that if you use that same parent in line breeding, the same thing could happen.
I can tell you another thing that is a little strange. Some of these super star plants that came from hermie accidents, sometimes tend to be sterile and extremely hard to reverse. Just goes to show us all how much the average grower has no idea about genetics lol.

eastcoastjoe

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's the right way to go Or that even the breeder got there the right way. that plant is beautiful but it could also be messed up that's what makes them special they're one in a million.999000 plants suck

Let me ask you something. If at the end of the day, our goal is to breed plants with the highest terpene profiles and highest cannabinoid profiles, to get the best affect, who decides the right and wrong way to get there?

mudballs

Let me ask you something. If at the end of the day, our goal is to breed plants with the highest terpene profiles and highest cannabinoid profiles, to get the best affect, who decides the right and wrong way to get there?
Science data...im on record, there is no wrong way, just wrong execution. It's ok to self a plant and continue line breeding as long as forebears are stable and breeder knows what the plant should do..that's the right 'execution' imo

mudballs

I can make you a super thiol producing monster...just need data...how i get there could implement any technique. So long as the data says, yeah go that direction to keep [insert important gene]

eastcoastjoe

Science data...im on record, there is no wrong way, just wrong execution. It's ok to self a plant and continue line breeding as long as forebears are stable and breeder knows what the plant should do..that's the right 'execution' imo

Are you saying line breeding is the proper execution for preservation? Or are you saying that is the proper execution to get to the final destination of quality and stability for the end user?

eastcoastjoe

I can make you a super thiol producing monster...just need data...how i get there could implement any technique. So long as the data says, yeah go that direction to keep [insert important gene]

Right, that’s exactly what I’m saying. Many different ways to get there. I just don’t agree that line breeding or filial breeding is the correct way or right way to get there.

mudballs

Line breeding is fine. As long as breeder is aware of bottleneck concept (mentioned earlier)..and again once outcrossed it could be considered a new, perfectly fine and functional line, but traits are locked in

eastcoastjoe

I still just don’t see any basis for the argument that the author of this thread is trying to make. If we are not talking about preserving, or locking traits into a line, the rest is just hogwash really.
Some of the best cultivars that have stood the test of time all seem to have come from reversals/hermie accidents/accidental pollinations. If what was being said about feminized breeding is true, how come in the last 30 years we haven’t had things come out of line breeding that has just blown chemdawg, sour diesel,OG Kush out of the water?

Latest posts

Latest posts