What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why I don't believe in f-cking with the sexuality of cannabis

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆

Specific PGR applications include gibberellins, which have been shown to favor male flower expression, while ethylene, cytokinin, and auxins all stimulate the formation of female flowers [9]. In hemp, exogenous application of plant growth regulators has been commonly used to produce male flowers from female plants for breeding purposes or to produce feminized seeds [9,13,14,15,16,17,18,19]. Two silver-based ethylene inhibitors, silver thiosulfate (STS) and colloidal silver and gibberellic acid (GA) spray, have been commonly applied for triggering male flowers on female Cannabis plants [9]. The STS method has shown the best efficiency in stimulating male flower counts [9] and has been commonly used in commercial feminized seed production and breeding processes [20].

Ethylene inhibitors are used in the horticultural industry to regulate flower senescence, increase fruit and flower shelf life, and alter plant habits [17]. Ethylene inhibitors operate through two primary mechanisms: inhibition of ethylene precursor biosynthesis or disruption of ethylene action via ethylene receptor binding [17]. The STS is one of the most commonly used ethylene inhibitors. The STS foliar spay is the product of silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate. It has been used to initiate male flowers by inhibiting ethylene signals by breaking down the hormone into inactive compounds [21]. Ethylene receptors in the plant require copper co-factors for correct binding. When this binding fails, it allows physical interaction with CONSTITUTIVE TRIPLE RESPONSE (CTR1), a Raf kinase, to repress the positive feedback regulator ETHYLENE INSENSITIVE2 (EIN2), which produces ethylene [15,16,19]. Silver thiosulfate inhibits ethylene production by outcompeting copper ion cofactors in the ethylene receptors, allowing CTR1 to be active and signaling a slowed ethylene response, which initiates male flower production [19]. Through this mechanism, STS inhibits ethylene signals and stimulates male flower initiation.

mudballs

Ethylene receptors in the plant require copper co-factors
STS outcompetes the Cu in the creation process, creating a molecule the receptor can not bind to
I guess a better way of saying it is, it changes what form of ethylene is made

Discorilla

Excellent points! I totally understand growers wanting to purchase feminized seeds and that most have no interest in developing canabis. It's just that I see many growers here on this forum discussing and performing chemical manipulation of sexuality when they've only got a couple of years of experience actually growing cannabis. Seems like half the growers are trying to produce hermie seeds and the other half are freaking out thinking they've got them. 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😂

I'm not aware of any studies that have been done regarding hermaphroditic tendencies with feminized seeds. However, I've been monitoring internet forums on cannabis since pre-web days and back in the '90s , hermies were not near the issue they are now. Totally anecdotal evidence for sure, but I still get the nagging feeling that it's going to end up biting cannabis development progress directly in the ass.

But what the hell do I know??? ;) Hell, even Shanti of Mr Nice seeds is selling femmed seeds to _numerous_ other seed companies now. :eek:

Good post!
After 15 years of growing, I came around to feminized for convenience. I came from the "Fems are for pussies" crowd. STS is some powerful stuff and produces good results!

I do believe that Regular seeds should be used for selection purposes for genetics and breeding, but I have seen some killer feminized stuff!

CharlesU Farley

... generally telling a plant it's going to die before seeding, if it doesn't do so itself. Many plants, faced with extinction, will produce some pollen themselves. Cannabis was very possibly better at this in the past. We have been selecting that trait out though.
Just like with humans, stress can cause many positive and negative effects on cannabis. Cannabis is a survivor and will do whatever it has to to procreate.

I just think eliminating staminate plants will ultimately lead to a _degradation_ of the overall stability of the cannabis plant.

CannaZen

Unfortunately, some breeders did think that getting pollen by stressing girls, was how to make female seed. So were through ignorance, selecting plants that had hermed as their only breeding stock. This happened for a few years. Where really hard to turn fems, that we would want, were not making the selection.
Today, it's the girls that resist turning the most, that are the better choice for herm free fem breeding. The ones that need a whole barrage of treatments, before they turn.
So herms started with a male turned female. Where can we find true female seeds? Is there such a thing. For readers who have not fully read the first page of the thread, it was posted a clone would not produce male flowers traditional methods Of its time.

Last edited:

CannaZen

This is as close as i can get, I don't know whether like humans they only have male or female chromosomes and how it works. But I don't want to detract from discussion about breeding reg males with femmed seeds, that's what I did and one year late stage there were a little bit of intersex. A few seeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718_154734_ChatGPT.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_154734_ChatGPT.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Ca++

Just like with humans, stress can cause many positive and negative effects on cannabis. Cannabis is a survivor and will do whatever it has to to procreate.

I just think eliminating staminate plants will ultimately lead to a _degradation_ of the overall stability of the cannabis plant.
Have you been watching oz?

I don't think we can't eliminate the male gene set. Not through breeding. Cannabis is a hermaphrodite. Female plants carry the male code, and can be made to use it. Generations of fem's later, it's not going away. Though the likelihood of an actual male seed, becomes so remote it's unlikely. It statistically exists.
It's not a path I would want to get too far down. Some breeders more aligned with pollen chuckers might head that way. However, I think all such lines loose vigor and just become nonviable. Things have a way of removing themselves from the gene pool.

CannaZen

Yes they have chromosomes and you don't need to study cannabis specific genetic information to
Win! But still intersex chemical manipulation, skimped males what is the process of steering the ship. What we get from femmed plants not the desirable ratio to good herb and the weed I smoke. I think it might be the difference between a herb and a weed when it pertains to plantseeds, I'm getting a lot of weed hormones and processed sugar isn't as good and that is what your getting, a loss of complexity. But the world is moving fast and displacement happens, a fork and these extraparamount sources other terpenes and other compounds the plant is able to pick up in ever so slightly amounts from the soil and these genes are cut off removed from genome for more of the same of less, diminishing returns.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718_171422_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_171422_Chrome.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 24

mudballs

Cuz it's outcross obligated you can do pretty much whatever you want...once it's crossed again a whole new complete plant line is formed, just missing a whole bunch of shit from a parent.depending which you reverse