What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why I don't believe in f-cking with the sexuality of cannabis

CharlesU Farley

Can you provide a example of any single cannabis strain that breeds true.
The standard I hold is cherry tomatoes........ every single seed produces consistent cherry tomatoes.
I have yet to see a line of cannabis exhibit anything even close.
In the late '90s, Sensi's Northern Lights bred true more than any other cannabis varietal I'm aware of. It was not until F3 or maybe F4 (my memory sucks fucking donkey dicks these days) that I saw _any_ variation whatsoever in the standard phenotype that was pictured on their website back in the day.

NL Seattle Greg did wonderful work but Nevil is the one who homogenized and _standardized_ Northern Lights into the Cannabis Cup winner, when that actually meant something, before "Mr Green" appeared. :ROFLMAO:

CannaZen

Let me ask you something. If at the end of the day, our goal is to breed plants with the highest terpene profiles and highest cannabinoid profiles, to get the best affect, who decides the right and wrong way to get there?
I taste plant hormones and such and if unlike a weed there may be more to that, people smoke flowers I've gotten good vibes from male leaf. But placebo set and setting about leaf. Vitamins hormones supplements.
Science data...im on record, there is no wrong way, just wrong execution. It's ok to self a plant and continue line breeding as long as forebears are stable and breeder knows what the plant should do..that's the right 'execution' imo
What caught my attention are what may be at stake, inbreeding is a process with effect. I buy fem seeds because they're fem to cross and they've been selfed. A good seed producer ideally uses clones or something but over time with autos they get selfed so many effing times until its inbred. Make no mistake inbreeding plant or animal without open pollination and reg males is not desirable.

Enter the farm with unique self composting ecology with water and decent climate. Soil composition, unique strawberry soil or other kinds, genes too ploy this. Adaptive plant strategy that although seemingly without conscious and left to conscious beings are left to God conscious for diversity to evolve to the best thing to forage and scavenge for the best, diverse and most of desirable compounds for health Instead of like a weed.

Last edited:

Shua1991

I taste plant hormones and such and if unlike a weed there may be more to that, people smoke flowers I've gotten good vibes from male leaf. But placebo set and setting about leaf. Vitamins hormones supplements.

What caught my attention are what may be at stake, inbreeding is a process with effect. I buy fem seeds because they're fem to cross and they've been selfed. A good seed producer ideally uses clones or something but over time with autos they get selfed so many effing times until its inbred. Make no mistake inbreeding plant or animal without open pollination and reg males is not desirable.
"Short stuff" or "stitch" was my favorite autoflower breeder when I grew them, he always offered regular seeds and the offspring had enough variation that it never got boring crossing two together. The male line he selected for was almost always done via 2-3 select males open pollenating a select bunch of females, and since "stitch" the breeder kept the very best females of each line and reversed them, he made feminised seeds with better uniformity than the male bred lines. Win-win. I can respect the use of feminized seeds when it serves a purpose, and this is as much an art as it is a "street science", some people are better at it than others, have better intuitions and therefore higher rate of success, the best breeders understand which heritable traits are passed by observation and inference.

CannaZen

There's different kinds of farming
"Short stuff" or "stitch" was my favorite autoflower breeder when I grew them, he always offered regular seeds and the offspring had enough variation that it never got boring crossing two together. The male line he selected for was almost always done via 2-3 select males open pollenating a select bunch of females, and since "stitch" the breeder kept the very best females of each line and reversed them, he made feminised seeds with better uniformity than the male bred lines. Win-win. I can respect the use of feminized seeds when it serves a purpose, and this is as much an art as it is a "street science", some people are better at it than others, have better intuitions and therefore higher rate of success, the best breeders understand which heritable traits are passed by observation and inference.
Yeah and there's different farming today of what people grow in pots I concede. And many herbs like mint are wonderful in such an ecology I've talked about even if it's the dead lands and they are different like evolution but also have male and female flowers on the same plant. But a lot if not all of what's available to me is unpleasant. (Dried weed flowers) I feel like my life is at stake posting about it may be it's all weed I don't know. Just weed plants. I don't want to be that :)

mudballs

Always 🤝

What about it? Rates, reasons etc ?
Well...how would that play in selfing, bottlenecking,..would it be possible to find/create a transgressive segerated pheno from a self fertilized, reduce diversity pool? I guess is my starting question.we can depress diversity, where does TS fit in, if at all

Mithridate

Well...how would that play in selfing, bottlenecking,..would it be possible to find/create a transgressive segerated pheno from a self fertilized, reduce diversity pool? I guess is my starting question.we can depress diversity, where does TS fit in, if at all
Generally speaking, the narrower the gene pool the least frequent are transgressive phenos.

S1 is still a first generation recombination.. so is f2. So with a fresh hydrid, transgressant are supposed to show up at about the same rate as an f2.

Note that when we talk about extreme phenos, we often only think about specific easily observable traits. An inbred line often only breeds true for a couple traits but subtler traits are reachable

ScythianGold

Part of the core of this is the idea that seeds reduce the potency. And the idea that potency by THC% is now more important than anything else. Obviously this idea came about when the imported brick weed was not as good as the domestic grown indoor or outdoor but that was mostly due to immature flowers, storing drying issues etc. Somehow this myth persists. If a bud has 1 seed in it now, it must be a joke. Has anyone ever done actual research on this? What % difference do you really think there would be in the same plant, one has a few seeds and the other doesn't?

Then there are the plant limits in quasi legalization. But people are looking for shortcuts, trying to make sure they get 100% females out of their 6 plants. People should be flouting those rules because they are riduculous and not pussing out and buying FEM fucking seeds fucking up the genetics. SHORTCUT.

And part is on the seed company side. They obvioulsy would like fem seeds better as it will be more difficult to make your own seeds and you need to buy more seeds more often. It also creates scarcity for the 'elite' seeds so you can jack those prices up as well. Fuck all of that and everybody trying to perpetuate that. If I pollinate only preflowers on my killer skunks people will act like it's brick weed. Dumbasses.

Also, how dumb have people gotten over the past decade? Morals, critical thinking, have gone out the window... And everybody in cannabis is drinking the koolaid. Nobody knows what crosses are even in their hyped up bullshit. Probably just cookies x cookies x kush x skunk x NL x haze HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Same old bullshit everybody else has just in a different ratio.

mudballs

We share the world with people we disagree with...if they want 4 plant limits for 300M population as a test we fkn let them do it, and help figure it out in return for letting us try it legally...dafuq?

mudballs

Arent there stories of cops arresting crop thieves of legal grows...insurable crops for compensation of losses...we fkn want that bro

mudballs

Ok back on super deep dive
Selfing of F1 dihybrid to obtain F2
generation in a dihybrid cross gives 9:3:3:1 phenotypic ratio wherein 3+3 phenotypes exhibit the recombinant traits while 9+1 exhibit the parental combinations of the traits

So if mithridates post was blowing minds...its cuz of that

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I don't believe a few seeds affects potency but a fully seeded plant seems to lose 20-30% of the potency in my experience.

Mithridate

Transgressive traits are inheritable too 😉
Ok back on super deep dive
Selfing of F1 dihybrid to obtain F2
generation in a dihybrid cross gives 9:3:3:1 phenotypic ratio wherein 3+3 phenotypes exhibit the recombinant traits while 9+1 exhibit the parental combinations of the traits

So if mithridates post was blowing minds...its cuz of that

Good or bad
6d41cc72b1973d781152e0ff5bc0b7acb29c229f.jpeg

Cactus is my math guy... I understand what I'm reading when I meet them but don't hand me a blackpen and a whiteboard I might blank lmao

Edit typo me/my

Last edited: