What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What Are You Watching Right Now Pt II.......

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i only get to watch replays of the soccer matches. :( Hallmark is in the middle of their summer "everything works out and we're SO happy" sappy bullshit series and the tv is in constant use during prime time.

Cuddles

i only get to watch replays of the soccer matches. :( Hallmark is in the middle of their summer "everything works out and we're SO happy" sappy bullshit series and the tv is in constant use during prime time.
England won against Switzerland tonight. :p They scored late in the second half to catch up with the swiss, it went into extra time and then and guess what ?

They did NOT screw up the penalty shootout !!! I can´t believe it :rasta:
The CURSE has left the stadium!!

:groupwave::jump:

The german team ie the hosts of this euro cup has sadly not made it into the half final :( That´s really sad :( :(

Right now: Turkey and Netherlands are playing and Turkey has scored the first goal in the first half. didn´t see this coming but then again I was also not expecting Switzerland to come this far either , lol

Cuddles

England won against Switzerland tonight. :p They scored late in the second half to catch up with the swiss, it went into extra time and then and guess what ?

They did NOT screw up the penalty shootout !!! I can´t believe it :rasta:
The CURSE has left the stadium!!

:groupwave::jump:

The german team ie the hosts of this euro cup has sadly not made it into the half final :( That´s really sad :( :(

Right now: Turkey and Netherlands are playing and Turkey has scored the first goal in the first half. didn´t see this coming but then again I was also not expecting Switzerland to come this far either , lol
the dutch team just scored, it´s 1:1 now :)

moose eater

Nice find. The trailer had me right away.

I had a watch and I was entertained though out the movie.

Some stark truths are laid out very well.

When lies become truths, we are heading to a dark future.
Very good.

Though I really wanted to see if the predictions he made came true in the end, and they left that hanging..

moose eater

There's been a lot of people move to the bush in Alaska and live in the wilds, relying on their own ingenuity and backbone to one degree or another, some with greater financial resources and some with very little. Some of them hippie people, some of them older and younger military veterans like the infamous Dick Cook, who can be found in the book 'Coming into the Country', now deceased after being found in his waders, apparently drowning while 'lining' a canoe upstream. After being on the river so long that many along the Yukon and Kandik Rivers referred to him as 'the Grand Swami of the River People'. Dick was an aging Korean War vet and a grower, by the way.

Not all of those who tried the bush life had realistic goals or ideas, and some failed miserably, while others found a new way of being.

I've known people who squatted on federal land for decades, building a cabin and raising a family over time. Their living circumstances requiring them to not make too much political noise, due to the uncertainties of squatting on government land. Yes, their kids typically moved away to the more urban or suburban areas more often than not, but they would often return home, for... home.

I only found Stan's story recently, but he does a good job of drawing mental images of what that life means. From harvesting and processing homegrown grain (something not everyone does), to farming/gardening and using local resources, including dead salmon that aren't edible anymore but make fine composted fertilizer, and much more.

He's a good guy, a transplant from Boston of all places, and obviously an aging hippie sort of fellow. No doubt in my mind that we know some of the same people on the Yukon River and elsewhere from years ago.

He's got some stuff to tell and teach.

There's a variety of videos and interviews by Stan, including the processing of traditional king salmon strips that I posted not long ago, maybe in the 'Totally Random Post' thread.

Last edited:

moose eater

Dip-netting hooligan (like an ocean-going smelt) down near Portage along the Cook Inlet, South of Anchorage near the bottom/south end of Turnagain Arm..

These little guys are so oily that long ago sometimes they were literally burned like candles.

The only way I've found them to be palatable is to smoke the bejesus out of them.

Some used to smoke them a long enough time to have them exude sufficient oil to dry them out just a little bit (though still oily as a bastard) then vacuum seal them in poly bags in batches of 5-12 fish per smaller package.

Midnight Sun in the middle of summer makes for an all-night work light.

The very silty surface out in the Inlet down there occasionally claims someone's life, as it acts like quicksand, and if someone is stuck in the muck, pulling them out abruptly can risk physical injury, but being caught in the muck with the tide coming in has claimed more than a few people.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm watching NOTHING! :mad: Charter Spectrum, who sells cable here, is down and cannot be re-booted using their on-line procedures. i'm missing two great soccer championship matches, missed Wimbledon finals, and the final round of the Scottish Open from the PGA.

Latest posts

Latest posts