What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What Are You Watching Right Now Pt II.......

CharlesU Farley

;)i've been to their distillery. WAY higher tech than any "true moonshine"... impressive though! (y)
Yeah, it's probably a little bit higher tech than Popcorn Sutton. As you know, he's a fucking legend up here in the mountains. :) Harley and I frequently go to lunch at a place in the closest town to us , that has one of his very last stills on display in the waiting area.

Dime

armedoldhippy

Veteran
just watched LSU choke and give USC the game in Vegas. penalties, STUPID penalties... :dunno: Harper Lees classic "to kill a mockingbird" was on earlier. after all these years, it's still great to watch.

moose eater

Re-run; today's task(s). Though we'll be doing sockeye/reds, rather than kings/chinook.

Traditional Native-style strips use only salt in the brine; no sugar, etc.

At modern or current prices in this sometimes-'gray market', the collection of strips hanging inside their corrugated metal smokehouse, might be literally worth a couple thousand dollars or more.

Note: Another way to arrive at a 100% salt solution is to add salt (canning and pickling salt) until a good, solid fresh potato floats in it.

Another skilled person's method. A woman who comes from a LONG line of those who processed strips in the more traditional way, after the arrival of more modern influences such as salt.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

This guy would turn over in his grave if he knew what Gravano was going to eventually do ;) :

1000012446.jpg

I used to try to fuck his niece when they were on vacationing in Sunny Isles, FL during the late 60s. :eek:

Had no earthly idea who he was, and more importantly, what he was capable of. :rolleyes:

But his niece had the hots for the long haired, pony tailed, non-hairy chested Kentucky boy, with an accent she could barely understand. ;)

moose eater

A light, -not- hot smoke from local wood for traditional Native-style drying of strips and cross-sectioned fillets.

"" Jul 19, 2014
On a sunny summer day, the quiet peace of a remote fish camp on a slow-moving branch of the Kuskokwim River became a crazy-busy place of heading and gutting, cutting and hanging. The salmon were running, and Bethel elders Roy and Ida Alexie, along with daughters, grandkids and extended family, were catching them. "I'll take the heart!" 6-year-old Alyssa "Frankie" Wassillie called out as her mom -- one of Ida's many nieces -- guided an ulu through the crunch of salmon bone and flesh. Life at this Yup'ik camp blends deep traditions with modern twists, bursts of intense work with stretches of easy play and relaxation."""

Read more at

j.mp/YKfishcamp