What's new

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

superx

Veteran
This what we're NOT having for dinner, unfortunately......

Crab-stuffed lobster tail...

View attachment 19014901
Wishful thinking Moose 🤔 that looks absolutely devine, I've only been fortunate enough of eating lobster once in my life. Its not something you would come across that often on a menu over here, you would be more inclined to find it in a high end seafood restaurant, which are few and far between..One can expect to pay a minimum of 40 euro for such a delight. I do love crab meat, a local Asian place we visit every now and then serve it up with spring onions and its topped with egg white sauce, I know the egg white sauce sounds unusual but it compliments it really well...(I find the crab meat delicate and sweet)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so im posting in the food thread but not posting any food!
so im not eating this right now, (yeah im a fat PHONY!) but my mom brought me this recently from a local asian restaurant
the top one is fried chicken thghs and wing
9/10
perfect crisp plus it has that salty seasoned thing going for it (asians love fried chicken)
next up is the tofu she brought over, the sauce was not too savory and not too sweet a perfect balance of flavor

asian food:

chinese chicken.jpg

tofu.jpg

cheem!z.jpg

now this one i will be eating tonight! cheese
but not just any cheese assorted cheese
i see some smoked gouda in there plus a nice herby looking one
this place tip top is legit

Last edited:

superx

Veteran
a true cuba is awesome! another good one is called la media la noche
/it means middle of the night
i like in san diego, so its on the other side of the us
we have tortas here and lots of asians
Your absolutely spoilt for choice pops, so many different culinary delights you guys have.
I'm starting to salivate over my keyboard.

superx

Veteran
so im posting in the food thread but not posting any food!
so im not eating this right now, (yeah im a fat PHONY!) but my mom brought me this recently from a local asian restaurant
the top one is fried chicken thghs and wing
9/10
perfect crust plus it has that salty seasoned thing going for it (asians love fried chicken)
next up is the tofu she brought over, the sauce was not soo savory and not too sweet a perfect balance of flavor

asian food:

View attachment 19014912
View attachment 19014913

View attachment 19014914
now this one i will be eating tonight! cheese
but not just any cheese assorted cheese
i see some smoked gouda in there plus a nice herby looking one
this place tip top is legit
That chicken looks delicious, we get something similar from the local Asians, you said there's salt in it, reminds me of salt and chilli chicken. (Looks like it)
Are you planning to use the cheese in a sauce or topping of some sort?
Maybe just eat it as it is or with some cracker biscuits..
Do you recall the old tale of eating cheese late at night before you go to bed (can give you warped dreams)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
That chicken looks delicious, we get something similar from the local Asians, you said there's salt in it, reminds me of salt and chilli chicken. (Looks like it)
Are you planning to use the cheese in a sauce or topping of some sort?
Maybe just eat it as it is or with some cracker biscuits..
Do you recall the old tale of eating cheese late at night before you go to bed (can give you warped dreams)
yeah we have a lot of great food choices here in san diego
in addition to all the normal things, we have some of the best mexican food in the nation!
plus with a strong international community there is excellent asian and middle eastern places too
im not big into sea food but i hear its pretty fresh
hahaha no ive never heard eating cheese can give you warped dreams!
i like to snack on it late at night with just crackers and maybe some fruit

moose eater

Wishful thinking Moose 🤔 that looks absolutely devine, I've only been fortunate enough of eating lobster once in my life. Its not something you would come across that often on a menu over here, you would be more inclined to find it in a high end seafood restaurant, which are few and far between..One can expect to pay a minimum of 40 euro for such a delight. I do love crab meat, a local Asian place we visit every now and then serve it up with spring onions and its topped with egg white sauce, I know the egg white sauce sounds unusual but it compliments it really well...(I find the crab meat delicate and sweet)
There's an egg base sort of in some traditional dishes served in 'lobster sauce' which, ironically has no lobster in it, but is typically a thinner sort of egg custard sauce, and often served over or with/in a dish we know as 'phoenix and dragon' (chicken and shrimp).

Cold water lobster is far preferred to warm water lobster, in re. to quality and flavor, as well as texture. North Atlantic (which I'd have thought you'd have, due to location), South tip of New Zealand, near Invercargill, Southern shores of Oz, southern end of South America, and so forth.

Our better Alaska King crab here is going for about $48+/lb. by the ten lb. case ($487USD/10-lb. case) at Costco. You can get the lesser king crab on sale for around $25 to $28 /lb. sometimes.

41 to 44+ years ago we used to process incredible king crab by thousands of 50-lb. boxes of the stuff and somewhat inconspicuously, eat it for free. At the end of the day, no one was really buying king crab tails, so we'd sort them out throughout the day, put them into a cooker basket/cage, and at the end of the day after they were hosed off and cooked, without the salt brine that processed crab comes with, take home equal shares of the things, gobs of them, back when a large king crab ran 18-21 lbs. frequently.

The tails fit nicely with a bit of overhang, onto an OroWheat Honey Wheat Berry slice of really nice wholesome bread, toasted lightly, and was often adorned with mayo, horseradish, alfalfa sprouts, maybe some sweet bell pepper and/or sliced hot peppers, a smattering of cream cheese, and was awesome, though I eventually burned out on them from eating too many on our quasi-subsistence diet... something I'd previously thought was impossible... burning out on good fresh, unbrined king crab.

Last edited:

moose eater

I'm having a bowl of the soup I made a bit over 2-1/2 US gallons of late last night (another midnight artful cooking adventure); hot sour chicken vegetable soup, with lots of chicken, lots of large shrimp, about 1-1/2 lbs. of sliced calamari steaks, sweet onion, ample garlic, a bit of yellow mustard powder, some limited turmeric, lots of black pepper, a good amount of white pepper, some red pepper flakes, sliced cabbage, egg drops, lots of good quality soy sauce, a bit of lemon juice, rice vinegar in quantity, LOTS of button top fresh organic mushrooms sliced thick, bamboo shoots, chopped celery, organic frozen green beans, organic frozen sweet peas, about 1-1/2 cups of corn (high in glucose, but necessary imo), some reduced chicken base/broth, a touch of 100% pure sesame oil (but not too much), and maybe some other stuff.

Going to need to freeze some of this in quart and half-gallon containers before too long. Pretty tasty in the interim.

Might need to try and take some of this with us when we head to the Coast in Southcentral Alaska for our halibut and (other fish/shark) outing. Be nice to have healthy meals to quickly heat on a stove-top burner in a stainless pan, fill some bowls and be done with it.

Edit: There was also a decent bit of the leftover kimchi/kimchee, about 2-TBSP of erythritol, and maybe 1-1/2 TBSP of unsulfured molasses in the soup. But again, that was in 2-1/2 gallons (+/-) of the stuff.

Re-Edit: There was also about 10-12 oz. of chopped hardwood-smoked uncured no-sugar bacon added early on.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I'm having a bowl of the soup I made a bit over 2-1/2 US gallons of late last night (another midnight artful cooking adventure); hot sour chicken vegetable soup, with lots of chicken, lots of large shrimp, about 1-1/2 lbs. of sliced calamari steaks, sweet onion, ample garlic, a bit of yellow mustard powder, some limited turmeric, lots of black pepper, a good amount of white pepper, some red pepper flakes, lots of good quality soy sauce, a bit of lemon juice, rice vinegar in quantity, LOTS of button top fresh organic mushrooms, sliced thick, bamboo shoots, chopped celery, organic frozen green beans, organic frozen sweet peas, about 1-1/2 cups of corn (high in glucose, but necessary imo), some reduced chicken base/broth, a touch of 100% pure sesame oil (but not too much), and maybe some other stuff.

Going to need to freeze some of this in quart and half-gallon containers before too long. Pretty tasty in the interim.

Might need to try and take some of this with us when we head to the Coast in Southcentral Alaska for our halibut and (other fish/shark) outing. Be nice to have healthy meals to quickly heat on a stove-top burner in a stainless pan, fill some bowls and be done with it.
why dident you call us, that is a lot of soup!
ill bring my spoon!
my mom and i love crabs!
recently the had snow crab legs on sale here for like $8/lb
oh man! did we smash
i would pikc up several pounds and go to her place and we would steam them and eat crab
just sitting there shelling crab and eating and talking

moose eater

why dident you call us, that is a lot of soup!
ill bring my spoon!
my mom and i love crabs!
recently the had snow crab legs on sale here for like $8/lb
oh man! did we smash
i would pikc up several pounds and go to her place and we would steam them and eat crab
just sitting there shelling crab and eating and talking
A spoon and a bib are essentially all a person with decent social skills needs in life, really, pop. That, and maybe a good tent and backpack.... and breathable rain gear... and a good pocketknife.... and a good dog... and comfortable footwear.... and.....

:)

IMG_0996.jpg

:) Those white blossoms are wild strawberries that the older Gsd is lying in. They're strewn throughout much of the yard.

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
And the raspberries in the arbor will be here in a month or so, for more winemaking and snacking.... Probably more like ''or so.... " due to the cold spring we had...

View attachment 19015104
Beutiful dog and nice berries. Id be interested how the wine tastes. I was watching a show called Brewed Today. Its basically a show where this guy goes to all the different bars and breweries and samples them in the Quad Cities.. Probably see it on youtube. Its kinda cool. lots of nice places around. anyway they had a show today about these local guys who make small craft batches of beer basically in their basements. It got my Itch to make beer again. Ive made shitty wine but ive never made beer. I know its the last thing i need to drink but i think its about time i get into a hobby. Be curious about your wine and or beer making methods

moose eater

Beutiful dog and nice berries. Id be interested how the wine tastes. I was watching a show called Brewed Today. Its basically a show where this guy goes to all the different bars and breweries and samples them in the Quad Cities.. Probably see it on youtube. Its kinda cool. lots of nice places around. anyway they had a show today about these local guys who make small craft batches of beer basically in their basements. It got my Itch to make beer again. Ive made shitty wine but ive never made beer. I know its the last thing i need to drink but i think its about time i get into a hobby. Be curious about your wine and or beer making methods
Both the raspberry and strawberry wines preserve a NOTABLE essence of the berry's flavor, even when they reach 18% abv with champagne yeasts. FUCKING AWESOME!! Though the strawberry, despite tasting sweeter than it really is, still, is sweeter by a bit than I'd like it.

So we've been mixing 2/3 of a glass of relatively dry, merlot-sort-of-tasting apple-blueberry-peach wines (some with some dates added) with 1/3 of a glass of the strawberry wine, and MAN!!! Exceptional stuff!

As I wrote elsewhere, one of the most functional and profitable Christmas gifts I've given my wife was her floor-standing Portuguese corker I gave her this last Christmas, as well as gifting her any and all of the old beer-making supplies I had in the basement.

I also had about 78 of the larger older ceramic spring-top Grolsch bottles out in the shed taking up a big shelf's area, and she's putting a bunch of them to good use now, too. Even bought new rubber gaskets for them for the ones that the gaskets were old enough to show visible wear from ozone.

No fruit lying on the counter is safe in her presence anymore. I believe she sees wine in anything with sugar in it, and if it doesn't have enough sugar (which is more common than not), she's been buying 10-lb. bags of organic cane sugar at Costco for her fermenting artwork.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
wild berry wine?! that sounds f'n awesome @moose eater
im not into wine for the most part but i would try it, ill take the big glass!
if nothing else it would be a good splash over some vodka with some ice!
but what do i know*
if nothing else its a good snack growing in your yard! and the kids can just free ranger till dinner
/im not going to comment on your booger knots

and like @shithawk420 said, that is a fine looking dog
so you are going to have wild strawberries there too soon?

*never listen to men who think they are drunks or drunks who think they are men
/xoxo=}

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Had to do another the first was so dam good! Fresh cherry milkshake. Picked some of the cherries from my trees couple days back. Decided to make a nice drink. Homemade vanilla bean ice cream with cherries and milk.
IMG_8727 - Copy.JPG

Looks like I took off a finger but we all good!
The good ingredients....This ice cream just blows store bought away...not even a contest.
IMG_8729 - Copy.JPG

I make my own vanilla to, so easy and tasty!
IMG_8732 - Copy.JPG

The results...
IMG_8734 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8735 - Copy.JPG

Settling in to smoke some bowls and do some gaming! Have a sweet day all. Peace, negative.

moose eater

wild berry wine?! that sounds f'n awesome @moose eater
im not into wine for the most part but i would try it, ill take the big glass!
if nothing else it would be a good splash over some vodka with some ice!
but what do i know*
if nothing else its a good snack growing in your yard! and the kids can just free ranger till dinner
/im not going to comment on your booger knots

and like @shithawk420 said, that is a fine looking dog
so you are going to have wild strawberries there too soon?

*never listen to men who think they are drunks and drunks who think they are men
/xoxo=}
The wild strawberries don't amount to much. When they're content and getting good run-off from the raised beds in the veggie garden, they'll get the size of a pea. But they have a LOT of flavor.

The raspberries, on the other hand, typically provide some decent sized berries and loads of them. When my wife has had the energy and time, not counting what we've let the neighbors pick in the past, I'd bet we've gotten as many as 15 gallons on a good year.

The whole raspberry winemaking thing partly began when I was hunting for space in our 21.5 cu. ft. upright freezer, and the customary 1/2-gallon Nancy's Yogurt containers were in there, full of fresh frozen raspberries from the summer. Next thing I knew, there was 4 to 5-gallons of must bubbling away on the kitchen table. One of those rare times that someone going reactionary, or, in that case, both someones, turned into something spectacular.

shithawk420

Veteran
Both the raspberry and strawberry wines preserve a NOTABLE essence of the berry's flavor, even when they reach 18% abv with champagne yeasts. FUCKING AWESOME!! Though the strawberry, despite tasting sweeter than it really is, still, is sweeter by a bit than I'd like it.

So we've been mixing 2/3 of a glass of relatively dry, merlot-sort-of-tasting apple-blueberry-peach wines (some with some dates added) with 1/3 of a glass of the strawberry wine, and MAN!!! Exceptional stuff!

As I wrote elsewhere, one of the most functional and profitable Christmas gifts I've given my wife was her floor-standing Portuguese corker I gave her this last Christmas, as well as gifting her any and all of the old beer-making supplies I had in the basement.

I also had about 78 of the larger older ceramic spring-top Grolsch bottles out in the shed taking up a big shelf's area, and she's putting a bunch of them to good use now, too. Even bought new rubber gaskets for them for the ones that the gaskets were old enough to show visible wear from ozone.

No fruit lying on the counter is safe in her presence anymore. I believe she sees wine in anything with sugar in it, and if it doesn't have enough sugar (which is more common than not), she's been buying 10-lb. bags of organic cane sugar at Costco for her fermenting artwork.
Oh boy. Lot to go over here. Im high out of my gourd. Gosh darn it. Maybe i can find the episode but what i forgot to tell you guys was this one home brewer was saying he used,and im not sure what he said but he used Mexican something. I didnt understand the word he said but he basically said mexican hemp, and as we all know cannabis and hopps are related. Too bad he didnt get more into it. Oh it was a 4/20 episode that played today so it wasnt new. pretty interesting. Any fellow hop head would love this show. All Brews around me somewhere.

Oh man the Grolsch bottles. I remember when my parents and the other dudes would make smoking stones out of the caps. i dont know if the company got wise of what people were doing with their caps or what but they dont make them like they used to. The holes are way too small to fit a roach now. Damn good beer and always a favorite. My Uncle dont drink but once or twice a year he might get a 6 pack of Grolsch. I prefer it over St. Pauli Girl and Becks. Maybe Becks. All good beer.

Now that i think about it, im in the land of Hipster craft brews and i havent seen any German Lager since i got to Davenport. Its all meh IPA or similar. Now i want a Grolsch lol Oh my cousin owns a fancy wine bar with fancy jazz bands and really expensive booze 7 minutes from me.dont know the name but he said he had $20 a shot whiskey. he wouldnt let me try it. fancy scotch i guess.

superx

Veteran
Last of the weekend feast. Went heavy on the carbs with some brunch. Pretty sure you guys call it brunch over there? (Breakfast-Lunch!) I got the cod, which was fresh and flaky. Fine dose of mint in the mushy peas, with a side of potato bravas. Mrs X got Ham Hock Hash, with eggs Benedict. A bit over board on the potatoes Mrs X only ate half of hers. It wasn't too fancy but filled the Sunday gap. A record fair was on in town and came across this interesting looking table - we werent able to eat our brunch off it :) .. Was a grey rainy day here - lots of people in the pubs with the Munster hurling final so the pubs were packed to the rafters. Ill be at the gym tomorrow to work off the spuds.
IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Last of the weekend feast. Went heavy on the carbs with some brunch. Pretty sure you guys call it brunch over there? (Breakfast-Lunch!) I got the cod, which was fresh and flaky. Fine dose of mint in the mushy peas, with a side of potato bravas. Mrs X got Ham Hock Hash, with eggs Benedict. A bit over board on the potatoes Mrs X only ate half of hers. It wasn't too fancy but filled the Sunday gap. A record fair was on in town and came across this interesting looking table - we werent able to eat our brunch off it :) .. Was a grey rainy day here - lots of people in the pubs with the Munster hurling final so the pubs were packed to the rafters. Ill be at the gym tomorrow to work off the spuds. View attachment 19015348
View attachment 19015349
YUM!!
tha looks awesome man and i love the look of those taters on the fish plate
i am not a fan of sea food for the most part, unless you bip it in batter and fry it!
they its all good
hash with eggs benedict on top!
make that a table for three
so the potato dish with the red sauce and crema is potatoes brava?
/had to look this one up!
that sounds good

that is an awesome table, it looks like it came from a decent piece of wood and they did some nice carving on it
how much did they want for it?