What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

War

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I just saying. You asked and I put up.I'm having difficulty with my internet, but this isn't the first time you have seen this material. It should be easy to find.
I looked and all I can find is the same incident 4 years ago.
The rest seems to be experiments on what sticks to the wall.

right

Ilhan Omar walking back more antisemitism. Calling the victims terrorists.
She was condemned by democrats including Nancy Pelosi.

edging away Thursday from a bitter fight with Jewish Democratic lawmakers who’d accused her of likening the U.S. and Israel to Hamas and Afghanistan’s Taliban, saying her remarks were “in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries.”
A three-sentence statement by the Minnesota Democrat also said her comments were “not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel,” and seemed to dial back a more confrontational tone she’d taken earlier. In a series of tweets, Omar had said her critics’ public rebuke of her was “shameful,” accused them of “islamophobic tropes” and said she was merely seeking justice “for all victims of crimes against humanity.”
Minutes after Omar released her latest remarks, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and the other top five House Democratic leaders issued an unusual joint statement making clear they’d disapproved of Omar’s initial comments.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Drawing false equivalencies between democracies like the U.S. and Israel and groups that engage in terrorism like Hamas and the Taliban foments prejudice and undermines progress toward a future of peace and security for all,” the leaders said. “We welcome the clarification by Congresswoman Omar that there is no moral equivalency between the U.S. and Israel and Hamas and the Taliban.”
The leaders’ statement seemed designed to try defusing their party’s latest rancorous dispute over the Middle East. That schism has generally pitted younger progressives against older, establishment-leaning lawmakers who are more pro-Israel, a divide that has intensified since last month’s 11-day war between Israel and Hamas.

The quick intervention by top Democrats also came ahead of what may be a Republican attempt to train attention on Omar’s words when the House returns next week from recess.
In a possible preview of that, the National Republican Congressional Committee tweeted Thursday, “@Housedemocrats must vote to strip anti-Semite @IlhanMN of her committee assignments.” The NRCC is the House GOP campaign organization.
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said Pelosi’s failure to take action “sends a message to the world that Democrats are tolerant of anti-Semitism and sympathizing with terrorists.”
ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy has resisted Democrats’ calls to punish Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., who last month compared Pelosi’s requirement that lawmakers wear masks in the House chamber to Nazis requiring Jews to wear yellow stars during the Holocaust.
A Republican effort to remove Omar from her committees would likely fail in the Democratic-run chamber, but would spotlight divisions within the party that the GOP has sought to exploit before.
A top House Democratic aide would not comment on whether Pelosi and party leaders had pressed Omar to issue her latest statement.
This week’s flareup involving Omar, 38, was the most recent instance in which she has clashed with fellow Democrats over the Middle East. Two months after she arrived in Congress in 2019, the House approved a resolution condemning anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry — without mentioning her — after she made remarks that critics said accused Israel supporters of having dual allegiances.
The latest confrontation between Omar, a Muslim-American born in Somalia, and fellow Democrats began when she tweeted a Monday exchange with Secretary of State Antony Blinken in a video conference in which she called for justice “for all victims of crimes against humanity.”
ADVERTISEMENT

In remarks that drew the most attention, she said, “We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban. I asked @SecBlinken where people are supposed to go for justice.”
Late Wednesday, Rep. Brad Schneider, D-Ill., and 11 other Jewish House Democrats issued a statement labeling those remarks offensive and misguided. They said she should “clarify” what she meant.
“Ignoring the differences between democracies governed by the rule of law and contemptible organizations that engage in terrorism at best discredits one’s intended argument and at worst reflects deep-seated prejudice,” they wrote.
They said that while the U.S. and Israel are “imperfect” and merit occasional criticism, “False equivalencies give cover to terrorist groups.”
On Thursday, Omar tweeted that it was “shameful” that fellow Democrats who sometimes seek her support on issues didn’t ask her for an explanation by simply calling her. “The islamophobic tropes in this statement are offensive. The constant harassment & silencing from the signers of this letter is unbearable,” she wrote.
ADVERTISEMENT

She also wrote, “Every time I speak out on human rights I am inundated with death threats.” She posted an excerpt of an expletive-laden voice mail she said she’d just received with a caller saying he hopes she gets “what’s coming for you.”
She also said her comments did not reflect prejudice and cited an International Criminal Court investigation of the recent fighting between Israel and Hamas. “You might try to undermine these investigations or deny justice to their victims but history has thought us that the truth can’t be hidden or silenced forever,” she wrote.
In her later statement, Omar said her conversation with Blinken “was about accountability for specific incidents regarding those ICC cases, not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel. I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems.”
Schneider tweeted he was pleased with that comment, adding, “I hope all can avoid such offhanded statements in the future.”
Yet, underscoring the party’s split, Reps. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Cori Bush of Missouri also tweeted support for Omar. In 2018, Tlaib and Omar became the first Muslim women elected to Congress.
Tlaib said Democratic leadership “should be ashamed of its relentless, exclusive tone policing of Congresswomen of color.”
Bush said she expects criticism from Republicans, but it was “especially hurtful” that Omar was facing backlash from Democrats. “We’re your colleagues,” she tweeted. “Talk to us directly. Enough with the anti-Blackness and Islamophobia.”

by Taboola
Suggested For You

right

This wasn't about the Jewish people pushing for aligens to a foreign country. This was about Israel getting attacked by Hamas, as they are today, and getting called terrorists for defending themselves.

Brother Nature

All the bla bla, it's simple, kill more russians.

Total bullshit.
Germany is wealthy and the people live a very high standard.
Russia is a dump. Russian people live like crap.

if I was 70 and lived in Ukraine, I'd drive a Bradley and kill as many of those Russian mother fuckers as I could. If they gave me an F-16, I'd do that too.

invading a country is a crime. the difference is, im against invasions, no matter who is doing it.
further more, im even more against war breaking out between nuclear powers. i'm against any actions that risks nuclear war breaking out.

i was against the US bombing countries, no matter whos invaded and being bombed, but i^m also against Russia or China, attacking the US for Attacking Yugoslavia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, etc. even though i hated those wars and the millions the US murdered in those wars, i still would have been agains Russia trying to to stop the US committing war crimes in those countries. all that would do is make everything even worse for humans by risking a nuclear world war and the end of humanity. its is simple comon sense,

its called having a consistant and logical point of view. invasions are terrible, but escalating a local invasion in to a world wide nuclear war is worse. its plain logic. for the average human being in Ukraine it would mean way less suffering for way less time if the west didnt decide to flood the place with weapons and back one side against the other.

sometimes we humans are left with no perfect solutions, situations where you have no perfect options. i do know that the wests reaction to this war will cause more victims world wide over time then direct deaths caused in the fighting its self. millions of humans in poor countries will starve and freeze to death while millions more will die as a result of new wars for resourses caused by the shortages in resources caused by the wests actions in response to Russia invading Ukraine.
Gaius quote is at the bottom because it is representative of the way I feel about this. As an aside, hope Gaius is doing well. And I hope all these recent events come to a conclusion at some point sooner than later.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It's an easy stereotype to make on a muslim woman wearing a hijab in congress.

I'd have to see video of her making the comments, and I did look pretty far. If it was there, real no doubt about it, there she said it. I would have seen it. For me, the rest..... Meh..

right

please consider the possibility that you might be mistaken
I will consider the issue in more depth when I have better access to the net.
But I must say I remember Nancy standing up to her and she did walk back her statement. I have heard unpleasant things from some .Usually from a position that is so pro Islam ( not condemnation of Islam) that it is antisemitism.

right

Guys please consider that half of the country is only getting half of the news and vice versa.

You get rapey uncle Joe is sniffing little children's hair, or Trump is hitler.
Nothing but nonsense.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Gaius quote is at the bottom because it is representative of the way I feel about this. As an aside, hope Gaius is doing well. And I hope all these recent events come to a conclusion at some point sooner than later.
You should post your own opinion.
The post from Giaus is a utopian notion and does neglect a few important details like the ethnic cleansing that took place in Yugoslavia and the peaceful Ukrainian people being attacked by their neighbor unprovoked. Reactions, not actions.

greyfader

The search function sucks on phones, but there is plenty of this type of posting on this thread. Give me some time and I’ll bring up more…
your reference was in regard to the attack on israel by hamas. my statement was in regard to that also. trying to find statements made in regard to ukraine and russia is a cop-out on your part. you were responding specifically to the news about the attack on israel.
Sweet, more death and destruction for you guys to support…

armedoldhippy

Veteran
wishing "death and destruction" upon the apparent aggressor in a war against a smaller non-nuclear neighbor is a fairly common response, and should not be taken as supporting more bloodshed of innocent civilians. starting shit leaves one on the hook for damages.

Gry

Veteran
This is an excellent time to tone things down, as opposed to further inflammation,
which we shall certainly see in abundance. Best wishes to all.

right

Not just political commentary but news about an act of congress banning ilhan Omar from the foreign affairs committee for her continuing racism.

House Republicans vote to remove Rep. Ilhan Omar from the Foreign Affairs Committee​

Updated February 2, 202312:48 PM ET
By
Lexie Schapitl
gettyimages-1246565342_custom-d10824333e70fbb6933cf69c46835e1615d08c27-s1100-c50.jpg

Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., departs a news conference outside the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 26.
Drew Angerer/Getty Images
House Republicans have voted to remove Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar from the Foreign Affairs Committee, citing past controversial comments she made about Israel and concerns over her objectivity.
The vote was 218-211 along party lines.
In her first term, Omar drew criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike for tweets that invoked antisemitic tropes. She apologized for those tweets but has remained outspoken about the influence of Israel and the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, a powerful pro-Israel lobby, on U.S. politics.
The resolution, introduced by Rep. Max Miller, R-Ohio, stated that Omar "has disqualified herself from serving on the Committee on Foreign Affairs, a panel that is viewed by nations around the world as speaking for Congress on matters of international importance and national security."
Sponsor Message

Miller, who is one of two Jewish Republicans in the House, said in a statement that Omar "cannot be an objective decision-maker on the Foreign Affairs Committee given her biases against Israel and against the Jewish people."
Omar, who herself has faced anti-Muslim bigotry since taking office, told reporters last week that the move to remove her from the committee was "purely partisan."
In an emotional speech on the House floor Thursday, Omar said she is being targeted for her identity as a Muslim immigrant from Africa.
"Is anyone surprised that I am somehow deemed unworthy to speak about American foreign policy? Or that they see me as a powerful voice that needs to be silenced?" she said. "I didn't come to Congress to be silent."
Her experiences as an immigrant and refugee who survived a civil war give her a valuable and unique perspective on American foreign policy, she added.
Democrats rebuked Omar for her past comments at the time, but they united around her ahead of the vote. House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said Thursday the motion to remove her was not about accountability, but "political revenge."
"Rep. Omar certainly has made mistakes," Jeffries told reporters. "Ilhan Omar has apologized. She has indicated that she'll learn from her mistakes, is working to build bridges ... with the Jewish community."
Rep. George Santos voluntarily steps down from House committee assignments

POLITICS

Rep. George Santos voluntarily steps down from House committee assignments

Democrats are crying foul as House Republicans sort key committee assignments

POLITICS

Democrats are crying foul as House Republicans sort key committee assignments

Republicans cite Democrats' votes to strip GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar of their committee assignments in 2021 as precedent for the Omar move.
Greene lost her committee assignments over her own history of engaging with antisemitism, conspiracy theories and calls for political violence. Gosar was censured by the House after he shared a cartoon video that showed him murdering Democratic colleague Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Greene and Gosar have regained their committee spots under the new Republican House majority.
GOP leadership also recently blocked California Democratic Reps. Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell from serving on the House Intelligence Committee.
Sponsor Message

Some Republicans have been calling for Omar's removal from the committee for years. But others voiced concerns about due process this week, and with a razor-thin Republican majority, it wasn't clear that the resolution had enough votes to pass.
Rep. Victoria Spartz, R-Ind., supported the move only after language was added allowing members to appeal their removal to the House Ethics Committee. Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo., dropped his opposition after a conversation with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy Wednesday, in which Buck proposed future removals be handled by a majority vote in the evenly split Ethics Committee.
"He committed to the process of getting something like that done," Buck said Wednesday, adding that Congress needs to "stop this nonsense of kicking people off committees because it's just wrong."
Rep. Nancy Mace, R-S.C., had voiced opposition to the move throughout the week. But Thursday she told reporters she would vote yes after McCarthy committed to creating a process to handle removals through the Ethics Committee in the next 30 days.
"We shook hands ... and I got this commitment from him," Mace said. "Due process is very important to me, and preserving the institution is what this will do."

Omar has faced accusations of antisemitism since 2019​

Omar first came under fire for comments on Israel in February 2019, when she posted tweets that invoked tropes about Jewish wealth and influence on U.S. politics. The tweets received bipartisan criticism, and Omar shortly after issued an apology, saying she was "listening and learning" about "the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes."
The next month, Omar again drew condemnation for comments criticizing pro-Israel lobbying in American politics. In a speech at a political event, she said, "I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country. I want to ask why is it OK for me to talk about the influence of the NRA, of fossil fuel industries or Big Pharma, and not talk about a powerful lobbying group that is influencing policies?"
Sponsor Message

Many saw these comments as suggesting American Jews have "dual loyalty" — a smear used to harass and persecute Jewish people throughout history. The remarks prompted the House to approve a resolution condemning "anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, racism and other forms of bigotry."
In 2021, Omar drew criticism for comments that appeared to equate the United States and Israel with terror groups. In a tweet about the role of the International Criminal Court, she said that "we have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban."
After a group of 12 Democrats denounced Omar's comments, she issued a clarification: "To be clear: the conversation was about accountability for specific incidents regarding those [International Criminal Court] cases, not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel," she wrote in a press release.
'Go Back Where You Came From': The Long Rhetorical Roots Of Trump's Racist Tweets

FROM 2019

'Go Back Where You Came From': The Long Rhetorical Roots Of Trump's Racist Tweets

"I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems," she added.
In 2018, Omar became one of the first Muslim women elected to the House and, along with other progressive women of color, has been a target of vicious attacks since.
In 2019, then-President Donald Trump tweeted that Omar and her colleagues often known as "the squad" should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came." At one of the former president's rallies, the mention of Omar — who was born in Somalia and spent time in a refugee camp — drew chants of "send her back" from the crowd.
  • Facebook
  • Flipboard
  • Email

More Stories From NPR​

POLITICS

The House can't work without a speaker. How will it choose McCarthy's successor?

POLITICS

Biden's dog Commander has left the White House

POLITICS

Fate of House GOP leadership throws Congress into chaos

POLITICS

Who is Rep. Patrick McHenry and why is he the interim House speaker?

POLITICS

Biden says he's worried about Ukraine aid. The Pentagon warns it's running low

POLITICS

McCarthy will not run for speaker again after being removed

Popular on NPR.org​

CLIMATE

It's a global climate solution — if it can get past conspiracy theories and NIMBYs

WORLD

Israel is trying to regain full control of its territory 2 days after Hamas attack

HEALTH

Ready to cold plunge? We dive into the science to see if it's worth it

EDUCATION

Meet the high school sport that builds robots — and the next generation of engineers

MIDDLE EAST

All-out war: Israel pounds Gaza after militants infiltrate in a large-scale

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
wishing "death and destruction" upon the apparent aggressor in a war against a smaller non-nuclear neighbor is a fairly common response, and should not be taken as supporting more bloodshed of innocent civilians. starting shit leaves one on the hook for damages.
The neighbor comes to your house, kills your kids and rapes your wife.....
What are you going to do? Stand there, watch, and give him an attaboy with a pat on the back?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The neighbor comes to your house, kills your kids and rapes your wife.....
What are you going to do? Stand there, watch, and give him an attaboy with a pat on the back?
that's the Neville Chamberlain technique. "i'm sure this is all just a terrible misunderstanding, we'll work something out..."

Latest posts

Latest posts