What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

War

Hiddenjems

no, it's not...now. and they were not under attack either, so that blows that excuse out of the water.
The whole reason they’ve been pushing into Ukraine for almost the past ten years was to end up with a more defensible border than they started with.

Sure Putin is a bad guy. But what does the morality base of someone’s decisions have to do with the factual realities of the situation?

If I’m describing the bullet trajectory of a certain physical projectile, does the intent of the shooter change anything?

Hiddenjems

Can we start an online gambling pool on where the borders will be on a certain date? That way people pay money the more wrong they are? $1us a mile for how far you’re off, with closest getting all the money?

I’ve noticed the cost of being wrong is free over the past few years.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The whole reason they’ve been pushing into Ukraine for almost the past ten years was to end up with a more defensible border than they started with.

Sure Putin is a bad guy. But what does the morality base of someone’s decisions have to do with the factual realities of the situation?

If I’m describing the bullet trajectory of a certain physical projectile, does the intent of the shooter change anything?
With today's ballistics, defensible borders are senseless so far as the big powers go. On the other hand if you are seeking more real estate or wish to massacre your neighbor pushing borders makes sense.

NATO is not (supposedly) an aggressor. Why do nations wish to join? Because they are afraid; because they want protection. Same reason you might buy a security system for your house.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For Europeans, Russians and Asians to fully understand the American attitude, they will need to grok Johnny Carson.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
With today's ballistics, defensible borders are senseless so far as the big powers go. On the other hand if you are seeking more real estate or wish to massacre your neighbor pushing borders makes sense.

NATO is not (supposedly) an aggressor. Why do nations wish to join? Because they are afraid; because they want protection. Same reason you might buy a security system for your house.
They can get us to pick up the tab.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They can get us to pick up the tab.
Although that may be a benefit, that is not a motivator. It sounds more like Trump shit really. Don't forget the US was a late comer to WW2. The guys with the cojones were in that mix up prior to the Americans. [including some Americans who joined the Canadian and British military]

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

It's more than that. It's unfettered access to the Black Sea and the ports necessary for trade, as well as deep seated adoration for the return of ancient history as the USSR dances like a sugar plum fairy in front of Putin's ego.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Although that may be a benefit, that is not a motivator. It sounds more like Trump shit really. Don't forget the US was a late comer to WW2. The guys with the cojones were in that mix up prior to the Americans. [including some Americans who joined the Canadian and British military]
It does sound that way, but it is true. It's like the United Nations. Bringing it full circle, I would prefer that much more of this money gets spent at home on education and our infrastructure.

igrowone

Veteran

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Very familiar with this. Don't forget Belgians, French and Nederlanders. I have heard th stories, many of them, first person . My wife's grandparents were in the underground with American and British flyers living in their attic in an occupied town. Then, smuggling them to the coast where they got on fishing boats and made their way to England. If caught, they would have been killed along with all family members.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Bringing it full circle, I would prefer that much more of this money gets spent at home on education and our infrastructure.
and when Russia quits trying to turn back the clock & rebuild the USSR, we can cut back on the money we put into NATO. that will still leave China to keep tabs on, but...pulling troops etc out of Europe would be a real cost-cutting exercise.

Latest posts

Latest posts