What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

cola

Cannabis is not native to Colombia full stop.
I know what modern genetic implies but the only known fossils of cannabis come from... Germany... both narrow and broad leaf.
The HT article discussed Cannabis Indica being brought there. No one was discussing anything indigenous whatsoever. And, regarding the oldest fossils, they were found in and around the Tibetan Plateau, about 20 million years ago. Still believe the oldest fossils were found in Germany? That is a wild ass guess - and not at all true:

"The scientists identified fossil pollen as belonging to Cannabis plants if it appeared alongside other types of pollen from a steppe ecosystem — open, treeless habitats where Cannabis is known to thrive. They discovered that the earliest Cannabis fossil pollen placed the genus in northwestern China, and dated to about 19.6 million years ago."

First Cannabis Pollen Found In Tibet 19.6 Million Years Ago

i do hempy and i think it would grow well and easy ,,,sure most are bred for/from the area that is traditionally dry arid but im sure there are a few microclimates in afghanistan ,,,weve had plants straight from afghanistan survive near 100% humidity in flower here in rainy damp cold uk and of course others disolved as expected lol View attachment 18833585
But in UK you have much lower temperatures and constant breeze. Colombia has high humidity and much higher temperatures at most of its areas. Its even harder to grow Indicas there as fungus grow out of nowere. Also they have shorter days as they are much closer to equator. In UK are short days coming too late so mosty there are issues with low temperatures in the autumn I guess so most of the canabis have hard times to fully rippen before its eaten by mold completly or stop rippening due to low temps.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
i do hempy and i think it would grow well and easy ,,,sure most are bred for/from the area that is traditionally dry arid but im sure there are a few microclimates in afghanistan ,,,weve had plants straight from afghanistan survive near 100% humidity in flower here in rainy damp cold uk and of course others disolved as expected lol

In all my years i have never seen or heard of a Indica coming from South America mate.

I have seen many Colombians smoked many more and all i ever saw were sativas.

Taima-da

The HT article discussed Cannabis Indica being brought there. No one was discussing anything indigenous whatsoever. And, regarding the oldest fossils, they were found in and around the Tibetan Plateau, about 20 million years ago. Still believe the oldest fossils were found in Germany? That is a wild ass guess - and not at all true:

"The scientists identified fossil pollen as belonging to Cannabis plants if it appeared alongside other types of pollen from a steppe ecosystem — open, treeless habitats where Cannabis is known to thrive. They discovered that the earliest Cannabis fossil pollen placed the genus in northwestern China, and dated to about 19.6 million years ago."

First Cannabis Pollen Found In Tibet 19.6 Million Years Ago
That is true for pollen.
I'm talking macro fossils, but only a couple of million years old, so you're right.
But you did say indicas r not "native"to Colombia, so I thought I'd take you up on that. Point being neither is sativa.

harvestreaper

Veteran
But in UK you have much lower temperatures and constant breeze. Colombia has high humidity and much higher temperatures at most of its areas. Its even harder to grow Indicas there as fungus grow out of nowere. Also they have shorter days as they are much closer to equator. In UK are short days coming too late so mosty there are issues with low temperatures in the autumn I guess so most of the canabis have hard times to fully rippen before its eaten by mold completly or stop rippening due to low temps.
sure ,,not saying uk an columbia same just observation on humidty and everyone knows uk colder,,the plants i showed you would be completly wet in the morning like monsoon wet , they were grown in a valley bottom with near to zero wind most failed but those in pics marched on like soldiers

cola

That is true for pollen.
I'm talking macro fossils, but only a couple of million years old, so you're right.
But you did say indicas r not "native"to Colombia, so I thought I'd take you up on that. Point being neither is sativa.
Well. You have pollen. Where did the pollen come from, and do plants have leaves? I never mentioned any Cannabis being native or indigenous there. This whole kuckoo arguement is amongst you and yourself. Not easily distracted.

Taima-da

Well. You have pollen. Where did the pollen come from, and do plants have leaves? I never mentioned any Cannabis being native or indigenous there. This whole kuckoo arguement is amongs you and yourself, lol. Not easily distracted.
No mate, you equated Colombia to jungle. Sure, some of it is.
Plenty of it is not. That is all

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
im not suggesting indica comes from there lol ,,i have no idea either way only that it would be able to grow imo
It would rot in most places mate you cant escape the heat and humidity unless you go up into the high altitude. Even there it gets real wet.

Fast forward to 2023 yes now you have indicas in Colombia being grown by the Cannabis industry that has set up there because of the legal changes but those are grown in controlled environments.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i do hempy and i think it would grow well and easy ,,,sure most are bred for/from the area that is traditionally dry arid but im sure there are a few microclimates in afghanistan ,,,weve had plants straight from afghanistan survive near 100% humidity in flower here in rainy damp cold uk and of course others disolved as expected lol View attachment 18833585
Also they have a dry season which is very well suited to growing hybrids and indica dominate varieties because the humidity is quite low during those times..

cola

Exactly my thinking when I read the article. Indica will rot not much above 40 percent humidity. What is the jungle?

No mate, you equated Colombia to jungle. Sure, some of it is.
Plenty of it is not. That is all
I discussed humidity. I never said all of Columbia was jungle. We were talking about Cannabis Indica not being brought there, or grown there ever, for a variety of reasons. What in gods green earth are you talking about, lol?

Taima-da

It would rot in most places mate you cant escape the heat and humidity unless you go up into the high altitude. Even there it gets real wet.

Fast forward to 2023 yes now you have indicas in Colombia being grown by the Cannabis industry that has set up there because of the legal changes but those are grown in controlled environments.
That climate map👆
Includes semi arid and hot arid as well as plenty of high altitude grassland.
Seems like fertile ground for a multitude of variety. Now and in the past. Not saying it happened, just that it could conceivably have, easily

cola

Also they have a dry season which is very well suited to growing hybrids and indica dominate varieties because the humidity is quite low during those times..
Do you have any historical evidence, other than that laughable HT article, that Cannabis Indica was ever grown in Columbia at this time? I can tell you as a partaker in very early 70's, the Cannabis was Sativa, not Indica, from there.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Do you have any historical evidence, other than the laughable HT article, that Cannabis Indica was grown in Columbia at any time? I can tell you as a partaker in the very early 70's, the Cannabis was Sativa, not Indica from there.
I live in the topics and do it myself and have friends in Colombia who grow hybrids so it's doable in the dryer times of year which can last over 6 months depending on the area

Taima-da

Having grown Punto Rojo it seems like there is possibly some wld influence compared to other nld Colombias (I know this is the point of some conjecture) , though maybe the version I tried was a modern hybrid type (passed off as "pure")

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Do you have any historical evidence, other than that laughable HT article, that Cannabis Indica was ever grown in Columbia at this time? I can tell you as a partaker in very early 70's, the Cannabis was Sativa, not Indica, from there.
Oh im not debating about what is or Waa grown before as I'm sure you are correct with what u say just whether or not it can be done,
I assure you and any doubters who think the tropics is draped in rainforest that there are dry times as well as many dry and arid places in the tropics and the jungles are only a small % of some very diverse areas and microclimates

cola

I live in the topics and do it myself and have friends in Colombia who grow hybrids so it's doable in the dryer times of year which can last over 6 months depending on the area
The HT article is what we have been discussing. That was the reference point for the entire discussion, which involved Cannabis Indica seed already being in Columbia, which they referenced as "Columbian Indica". That simply put, is preposterous. And, as we all know, anything can be grown anywhere now. Not the topic of discussion.