What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=548312&stc=1&d=1600881033

On the left is a Golden Tiger and on the right is Sumatran. Have had thrip damage. I was using soap and water on the thrips but the soap leaves a taste to the buds so I am using a pencil with tape on the end turned out, and stick the thrips to that. Washing the buds did not really take the taste out.

These are at 14 weeks and look to need another 2 weeks. At minimum. The GT took like 6 weeds to show sex. hehe They are tiny plants maybe a foot tall. The GT is the sole survivor of a 5 pack, none of the others popped or grew.

The 6 Sumatran plants have little resin and are mostly just pistils and leaves with lots of hermie bananas/structures. I do not see any seeds so pollen is sterile. Someone here has good knowledge of this strain. :thank you: This is very much a raw unworked landrace or heirloom if you will. That is what it looks like at least.https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=37902&pictureid=2076742

Attachments

• sumatran and golden tiger.jpg
    sumatran and golden tiger.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 22

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Great looking plants peeps!

I remember smoking Sumatran back in the day. Great weed. Equal to Thai, but bigger fatter buds.

I had to post because of something amazing yet frustrating. I grew a Gypsy Thai x Neville's Haze 21 x Mullumbimby Madness plant last year that had the look and the aroma that convinced me that this came from genuine Thai Stick from my childhood. I planted it in March, and it grew until December before it even showed it's gender. I harvested it's pollen in late January or early February. It showed some hermie pistils only at the very end just before dying, in March.

I've had a cutting of it indoors since last spring. I moved it outside sometime this, 2020, late April. It hasn't shown it's male pollen sacs the whole time... until this week. Unfortunately, it is displaying hermie pistils right away.

Thai is hands down THE most difficult, challenging, and unpredictable plant that I have ever grown. I can't figure this stuff out. It makes no sense to me that this is starting to flower in September, when the very same individual started in December last year. Perhaps, it was triggered in April going from 24 hours indoor light to natural light cycle. And it took 5 months to start showing flowers. An alternative theory is that it takes 4 months to mature before it will even be susceptible to triggering, then another few months to even start to flower. I hope it works more smoothly and predictably if I move to the tropics.

Here are some pictures of the plant:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss!

romanoweed

I think i recall Clones switch faster into Flower than when you grow a Seed, unregarded the vegetation-lenght. The onset is faster i recall. Since its not pure tropical Genetic, the Floweringimpulse might been somewhen befor 12/12, wich is 23 September. Flowering impulse aroud 1st September, fast onset cause clones..

Im'One

I think i recall Clones switch faster into Flower than when you grow a Seed, unregarded the vegetation-lenght. The onset is faster i recall. Since its not pure tropical Genetic, the Floweringimpulse might been somewhen befor 12/12, wich is 23 September. Flowering impulse aroud 1st September, fast onset cause clones..

I have seen this in my short time as a grower.
I cut clones from a romulan grapefruit saliva leaning plant. They were on 20 hours light after they rooted and grew a bout s foot I took them to my greenhouse where they received 15 hours daylight. They began flowering and made buds but before finishing began to re veggie. 2 months later the days shortened to 12 hours and they finished. They smoke very nice and are stronger than the original plant

gorilla ganja

I remember smoking Sumatran back in the day. Great weed. Equal to Thai, but bigger fatter buds.

I had to post because of something amazing yet frustrating. I grew a Gypsy Thai x Neville's Haze 21 x Mullumbimby Madness plant last year that had the look and the aroma that convinced me that this came from genuine Thai Stick from my childhood. I planted it in March, and it grew until December before it even showed it's gender. I harvested it's pollen in late January or early February. It showed some hermie pistils only at the very end just before dying, in March.

I've had a cutting of it indoors since last spring. I moved it outside sometime this, 2020, late April. It hasn't shown it's male pollen sacs the whole time... until this week. Unfortunately, it is displaying hermie pistils right away.

Thai is hands down THE most difficult, challenging, and unpredictable plant that I have ever grown. I can't figure this stuff out. It makes no sense to me that this is starting to flower in September, when the very same individual started in December last year. Perhaps, it was triggered in April going from 24 hours indoor light to natural light cycle. And it took 5 months to start showing flowers. An alternative theory is that it takes 4 months to mature before it will even be susceptible to triggering, then another few months to even start to flower. I hope it works more smoothly and predictably if I move to the tropics.

ThaiBliss!

The faster flowering may be brought on by being rootbound. I see your plants are in smaller pots. They look super healthy tho.
I have several strains that I use this technique on, to finish them earlier in the far north.
I suspect some Narrow-leaf varieties may be triggered to flower early by being rootbound.

Peace GG

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

ThaiBliss!

I have seen some Thai sativa lines show sex in 4 to 5 weeks once they went from 18/6 to 12/12 and some Thai lines can take up to 4 months to sex.

Even the faster ones to show sex can go 20 plus weeks to flower.

I believe the Gypsy Thai did throw a few male nannas but plants do look nice and very healthy.

RED 1

The faster flowering may be brought on by being rootbound. I see your plants are in smaller pots. They look super healthy tho.
I have several strains that I use this technique on, to finish them earlier in the far north.
I suspect some Narrow-leaf varieties may be triggered to flower early by being rootbound.

Peace GG

I could have been finishing one of The GT Thais 1 1/2 months earlier, because she got root bound.She wanted to flower as early as July.,planted early May.Eventually she flowered in early September

RED 1

Zamaldelica

Zamaldelica

I could have been finishing one of The GT Thais 1 1/2 months earlier, because she got root bound.She wanted to flower as early as July.,planted early May.Eventually she flowered in early September

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I have seen some Thai sativa lines show sex in 4 to 5 weeks once they went from 18/6 to 12/12 and some Thai lines can take up to 4 months to sex.

Even the faster ones to show sex can go 20 plus weeks to flower.

I believe the Gypsy Thai did throw a few male nannas but plants do look nice and very healthy.
interesting how they fare out of their homes ,
in natural settings they grow and are harvest in 5 months , 6 maximum , so thats 20 weeks in total for most , seed to harvest ..

im sure both the indoor setting and the 18 hr days messes with them a bit , hence their reactions to it ..

are you saying you saw hermies after onset of flower ??

wouldnt that be going against your statement that never happens

maybe some of us that saw different to what you saw were not such bullshitters after all hey?? .

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
interesting how they fare out of their homes ,
in natural settings they grow and are harvest in 5 months , 6 maximum , so thats 20 weeks in total for most , seed to harvest ..

im sure both the indoor setting and the 18 hr days messes with them a bit , hence their reactions to it ..

are you saying you saw hermies after onset of flower ??

wouldnt that be going against your statement that never happens

maybe some of us that saw different to what you saw were not such bullshitters after all hey?? .

I dont think i have even seen you grow a Thai apart from Profs in all my years on line Donald zoidfuel and Web weed was your main fortay is what i remember mostly grown by you.

As i posted Donald i have grown Thai lines for over 40 years now some Thai lines can show sex once put into flower in 4 weeks but they still need a long flowering time.

Other Thai lines can go longer to show sex now for a guy that claims to be a Thai cannabis expert you seam to know very little on the topic.

Indoor growing is used by many University Ag departments around the world they can mimic any out door environment so spare us you live in the tropics and only i can grow good sativa bull shit.

Ow i chatted to a member of the forum that lives in Thailand and he told me the good old school Thai is still a live and well in its homeland.

I am so sick of your bull shit Donald why do you need to continually trash threads ?.

Koondense

Veteran
Could you please make it less personal?

I think Donald's point or question is a very valid one as we all know the indoor veg schedule is far from what outdoor plants experience in the tropics and subtropic regions.

For me this kind of questions raise the bar of such threads, personal bs is of nobody's interest so please stop poking into each others buttholes.

Cheers

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
i have grown Thai lines for over 40 years now some Thai lines can show sex once put into flower in 4 weeks but they still need a long flowering time.

liar. it is only in your head. show pics of your fields, or go to narrate your tales back to mns forum :D

Last edited: