What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

therevverend

Veteran
I've heard about the NL from other sources, I'd ask Charlie Garcia. I wouldn't take anything as fact from one of those Reeferman sites. It may have been garbled because Reeferman used NL in one of his Nepalese crosses.

Mextiza and Bangi Haze have been inbred quite a bit, which is different then what a lot of breeders do. It causes some problems but it has many benefits. It's interesting as time goes on and more people breed with this stuff, to see the fruits of the breeding ripen. I've heard NepJam is a bit mold prone similar to Bangi Haze, it's interesting how bullet-proof Mextiza was for me. When I say 'mold prone' I mean sopping wet with no sun for a week or two. Not 'mold prone', when a cloud rolls past the plant starts to mold.

Breadwizard

See, that just makes me want the Mextiza even more, damn it. I'm still trying to get a line going for my folk's microclimate, earlyness and mold resistance is paramount, but they dislike indicas. The struggle!

I do love my Purple Mexican selection, with the Oaxaca 79, an even more energetic version in Mextiza would be fantastic. Mextiza x Zamaldelica would be on my short list for trip weed chucks. The Nepal introspection may even help focus the zam.

On topic, I just put my male zamaldelica stud into flower with a few selections for tripweed lines this morning:

First Lady (inbred Mexican line from RC Clarke). Clear, energetic, with a bit of visual shimmer and "wierdness"
Lemongrass clone from DHN. Selection from a huge outdoor pheno hunt, Lemon Kush x Gelato. This one's for shits and giggles, if all else fails it should produce some tasty hybrid frost. The clone smells awesome and looks good, but the seedless run is still drying.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I remember a long time ago kaiki said that the Nepalese came from refer and contained some nl, in that period they had changed the description from 100% sat to 80% Sat ...
About oaxaca of ace/CBG, I read somewhere(phylos?) that it would contain a bit of afghan / kush...

Breadwizard

It may, if you look at the Galaxy view, some of the things close to it are Mexican x indica hybrids. Not closely related enough to form connection, but in general 3D space (my understanding of the Galaxy is that things close to each other in 3D space are likely related, at least genotype wise).

Of note is that the Oaxaca 79 is also related to a sample sent in by RC Clarke called "Mexico" so who knows. The pics ive seen of the straight Oaxaca 79 flowering look pretty sativa in habit, open, airy and foxtailed.

herbgreen

Veteran
Reeferman Seeds Nepalese Highland Regular cannabis is a pure IBL (inbred line) from Nepal

Reeferman Seeds not "Reeferman Genetics"

CBG worked 7 generations

made mextiza and nepal jam

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Smoke Reports

Smoke Reports

One thing that's plain is that there are not enough non-Afghan strains that finish in a short enough time to mature in the world's temperate zones.
Hallelujah!
Have you tried Ace's Meao Thai containing strains Thai Bliss?
It has Thai in it, so yes of course I have, many of them. I will try more because I've seen good things.

Golden Tiger - Didn't find one I liked, but bred well to SAGE. I'm it is dawning on me the it's the SAGE that is the good breeder. Golden Tiger has an excellent reputation, and I should try the rest of my seeds.

Purple Haze Thai - The only seed I got to germinate was a male, which I bred to SAGE and the results were very good, but not quite energetic enough for my tastes. I told you guys I'm very picky. Hahaha! I've kept those seeds, because there is just too much promise in those. With all my frustrations, I actually may revisit these. I have been enthusiastically recommending these to friends.

Zamaldelica - I found some very good potency in the first one I grew indoors. It was a little too spooky and introspective for my tastes, but so good that I'm DEFINATELY doing further investigations including last summer and this coming summer.

Destroyer - I have Destroyer and Destroyer crosses that I need to try.

Nepal Jam - I did some significant testing of Nepal Jam. I smoked Jamaican ganja in the early 70s and it was SUPERB weed. It was EXTREMELY energetic and trippy. I would say it is an example of what I'm trying to get to, along with Thai Stick and Sumatran. I found a Nepal Jam that I thought was pretty good. It was only one out of ten that I grew that was female and good, IMHO. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to breed well to Bangi Haze, or to my own Wicked Weed line. I gave up on it.
Another one I'd recommend you try is Mextiza.
Mextiza - I had these seeds at one time, but after my experience with Nepal Jam, the desire for these got diminished. In addition, many of the smoke reports that I read seemed to indicate that it may be very good, but not quite energetic enough for me. It may be noteworthy that Charlie Garcia didn't release further inbred generations of this cross. It could have been for other reasons, but combining this with my breeding experience with Nepal Jam makes me suspicious. I traded these seeds for Neville's Haze x Tom Hill's Haze. Muhahahaha!

Copalita Oaxaca
- I have some seeds from Copalita Oaxaca. These were EXCELLENT. Again, not as energetic as what I'm aiming for, but talk about old school high... WOW!!!! Very floaty top grade Colombian type of high. Trippy, but narcotic in a good way. Not draining, or heavy weight feeling. More like soaring, but soaring through molasses. Fish bowl vision. Highly recommended. This may be what Mextiza is all about. A normal person should be extremely happy with this. I'm soooo damned picky! LOL I believe I gave a few Copalita seeds to the person I gave the Mextiza seeds to. Doubling down on the Oaxaca side may be were the breeding potential is. I hope the grower of Mextiza realizes this and experiments accordingly.
There's something about Bodhi's Snow Lotus male, I've felt it in a couple other hybrids I've tried, that has a human catnip effect. The taste, the smell, the effects are euphoric and addictive. It makes you want to smoke more of it for the sheer pleasure of smoking. I'm not sure if it's for you Thai Bliss. It's not couch lock at all but after several bowls it'll turn you red eyed and drunk below the neck. Strong body high. 2 or 3 hits of a joint are equal to smoking an entire joint of other stuff, as far as potency and psychedelic mind and time warping effects.

One thing I'm certain. I know the effects you're looking for Thai Bliss and I'll keep a lung out. We both know how rare it is to find something that's crystal clear in the mind but also potent enough to cause strong psychedelic effects.
I think you are on to me. Thank you for that, and thank you for "keeping a lung out for me".
:laughing:
If you see seeds or cuts you may want to try it. I got the flowers from a recreational firm in Washington state, they use light deprivation to market tropical heirloom quality strains that most commercial rec growers won't touch.
Great! And thanks again.

Bangi Wicked Weed x (SAGE x Bangi Wicked Weed) - I smoked some last night. This got a glowing report from a friend. I now know why he liked it so much. The taste and smell are spectacular. The high was very good, energetic, and positive. Thanks again Bangi Haze! Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with the potency, which I judge by taking three good hits only. I should try this again and test the ceiling by smoking a joint.

I will say I had a blast being high on this and visiting with a friend. After smoking, we went online, researched Hawaii, and searched properties for sale. 3+ hours just disappeared as we studied and laughed A LOT. Some time-warping possibility here. This is happy weed, like old school Mexican laughing grass. Nice clean come down without a trace of hangover.

The combination of flavor and quality of high was very impressive, but left me aching for more potency. One of the last times my friend and I smoked together was on the Nanan Bouclou. Remembering back to this made me yearn to smoke that again. I'm thinking about if I made seeds from the Nanan Bouclou. I don't think I did. I had such a hang over the next day from it, I think I decided to kill the cutting I kept of it, and I won't be able to recover the genetics of that individual. I do have a good amount of original seeds and now I'm thinking of growing it again. I have grown two females, and both were very different, but both had definite potential. My smoke report of Bangi Wicked Weed x SAGE x Bangi Wicked Weed veering off to Nanan Bouclou says it all, I guess. My search will never end, and that's not bad. LOL

ThaiBliss

djav59

Looks like Im on the right thread I m old school looking for the grail .
Last hybrid I tried and really liked was peyote cookies before that the real Blueberry.
So what the consensus on finding it?

Im'One

Hallelujah!

It has Thai in it, so yes of course I have, many of them. I will try more because I've seen good things.

Golden Tiger - Didn't find one I liked, but bred well to SAGE. I'm it is dawning on me the it's the SAGE that is the good breeder. Golden Tiger has an excellent reputation, and I should try the rest of my seeds.

Purple Haze Thai - The only seed I got to germinate was a male, which I bred to SAGE and the results were very good, but not quite energetic enough for my tastes. I told you guys I'm very picky. Hahaha! I've kept those seeds, because there is just too much promise in those. With all my frustrations, I actually may revisit these. I have been enthusiastically recommending these to friends.

Zamaldelica - I found some very good potency in the first one I grew indoors. It was a little too spooky and introspective for my tastes, but so good that I'm DEFINATELY doing further investigations including last summer and this coming summer.

Destroyer - I have Destroyer and Destroyer crosses that I need to try.

Nepal Jam - I did some significant testing of Nepal Jam. I smoked Jamaican ganja in the early 70s and it was SUPERB weed. It was EXTREMELY energetic and trippy. I would say it is an example of what I'm trying to get to, along with Thai Stick and Sumatran. I found a Nepal Jam that I thought was pretty good. It was only one out of ten that I grew that was female and good, IMHO. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to breed well to Bangi Haze, or to my own Wicked Weed line. I gave up on it.

Mextiza - I had these seeds at one time, but after my experience with Nepal Jam, the desire for these got diminished. In addition, many of the smoke reports that I read seemed to indicate that it may be very good, but not quite energetic enough for me. It may be noteworthy that Charlie Garcia didn't release further inbred generations of this cross. It could have been for other reasons, but combining this with my breeding experience with Nepal Jam makes me suspicious. I traded these seeds for Neville's Haze x Tom Hill's Haze. Muhahahaha!

Copalita Oaxaca
- I have some seeds from Copalita Oaxaca. These were EXCELLENT. Again, not as energetic as what I'm aiming for, but talk about old school high... WOW!!!! Very floaty top grade Colombian type of high. Trippy, but narcotic in a good way. Not draining, or heavy weight feeling. More like soaring, but soaring through molasses. Fish bowl vision. Highly recommended. This may be what Mextiza is all about. A normal person should be extremely happy with this. I'm soooo damned picky! LOL I believe I gave a few Copalita seeds to the person I gave the Mextiza seeds to. Doubling down on the Oaxaca side may be were the breeding potential is. I hope the grower of Mextiza realizes this and experiments accordingly.

I think you are on to me. Thank you for that, and thank you for "keeping a lung out for me".
:laughing:

Great! And thanks again.

Bangi Wicked Weed x (SAGE x Bangi Wicked Weed) - I smoked some last night. This got a glowing report from a friend. I now know why he liked it so much. The taste and smell is spectacular. The high was very good, energetic, and positive. Thanks again Bangi Haze! Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with the potency, which I judge by taking three good hits only. I should try this again and test the ceiling by smoking a joint.

I will say I had a blast being high on this and visiting with a friend. After smoking, we went online, researched Hawaii, and searched properties for sale. 3+ hours just disappeared as we studied and laughed A LOT. Some time-warping possibility here. This is happy weed, like old school Mexican laughing grass. Nice clean come down without a trace of hangover.

The combination of flavor and quality of high was very impressive, but left me aching for more potency. One of the last times my friend and I smoked together was on the Nanan Bouclou. Remembering back to this made me yearn to smoke that again. I'm thinking about if I made seeds from the Nanan Bouclou. I don't think I did. I had such a hang over the next day from it, I think I decided to kill the cutting I kept of it, and I won't be able to recover the genetics of that individual. I do have a good amount of original seeds and now I'm thinking of growing it again. I have grown two females, and both were very different, but both had definite potential. My smoke report of Bangi Wicked Weed x SAGE x Bangi Wicked Weed veering off to Nanan Bouclou says it all, I guess. My search will never end, and that's not bad. LOL

ThaiBliss
So...sounds like sage fems might be a good investment.?

djav59

The trippiest stuff I ever had was Cambodian late 70s it was thin stringy brown stuff raggedy looking but the most unbelievable chocolatey,earthy smell and taste .
One or two tokes and I saw the full moon coming from behind the clouds ,and thought it was a UFO for a few.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
So...sounds like sage fems might be a good investment.?
Hard to tell. Even with inbred lines or selfed genetics, there is a lot of variability. One of my pet peeves is people making definitive statements about a "strain" based on having tried one, and being stubborn about their assessment. All I can say is that the cutting of SAGE that I had was the one of the best plants I found in the last 15+ years. It was trippy (by my definition), profound, euphoric, and soaring. For anyone who can acquire SAGE genetics, I'd recommend looking through them for a winner. However, I would apply this to all that is Haze. You may have to search through scores of plants, but when you find one, you will be a Haze aficionado for the rest of your life. There is a reason it is in almost all our modern genetics. SAGE has Haze in it, and also old school Mexican.

herbgreen

Veteran
Hard to tell. SAGE has Haze in it, and also old school Mexican.

I know the official description of SAGE says 'haze' for the sativa side

However, I think that's really old description and back then in Amsterdam that was what it was closest to

In Amsterdam I think any high quality sativas can end up getting called haze

Adam Dunn has stated what they crossed to Afghani was something called "Triple A" they got in California

Its not know what it really is but being it was from Big Sur Area and more or less back then that most anything that good was BSHW

Its not really known what it is and thats why the word 'haze' was thrown at it long ago and its just been there in the description since then

Yeah, I dont think its like 'original haze' Its more of really good sativa and crossed to Afghani

Adam Dunn got into a deep discussion couple times on SAGE but never mentioned haze

herbgreen

Veteran

Ignatz

Veteran
Hallelujah!

¤long list¤

ThaiBliss

Long list... and no love for the Double Thai?

picture.php

DT day 45

:tiphat:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I know the official description of SAGE says 'haze' for the sativa side

However, I think that's really old description and back then in Amsterdam that was what it was closest to

In Amsterdam I think any high quality sativas can end up getting called haze

Adam Dunn has stated what they crossed to Afghani was something called "Triple A" they got in California

Its not know what it really is but being it was from Big Sur Area and more or less back then that most anything that good was BSHW

Its not really known what it is and thats why the word 'haze' was thrown at it long ago and its just been there in the description since then

Yeah, I dont think its like 'original haze' Its more of really good sativa and crossed to Afghani

Adam Dunn got into a deep discussion couple times on SAGE but never mentioned haze
Hi Herb,

I appreciate your desire to be precise. We have been on this merry-go-round before. Communication is difficult, and we often take shortcuts. Also, people often don't want to reveal the truth, but it frequently slips out by accident. There is a natural tendency for a person who has put their own work into a project to not want something to sound like just another knockoff. I'm not accusing any specific person of any specific intentional misdirection. I'm just writing about human behavior in general. The desire for precision can be antithetical to the communication shortcuts or the person's motivations that lead to how people communicate.

One last human tendency I'd like to mention is the desire to identify what is correct, and what is not. I'm sure that deep down, we all understand that nothing is so simple. We need to constantly keep this in mind. There are more possibilities than that is right and this is wrong. It could be that this is right and that is wrong. Notice the order of this and that. Two "truths" could both be correct, or both two "truths" could be wrong. That's four very distinct possibilities right off the top of my head. It's probably more accurate to think of it as infinite possibilities.

Let me start with my strain, Wicked Weed, as an example. During my breeding history, I have alternated between using established names that have gone into it and making up a name, in this case Wicked Weed. I know it's a stupid name, but it's a name that I can encapsulate all of what I have done and all that has gone into it.

Wicked Weed from oldest to newest approximately equals:

Purple Asian
Pigweed (Mex. x Indica)
Perky (Thai x Afghani)
Seeing God (Unknown possibly Nepalese)
White Lights (White Widow x Northern Lights)
Western Winds (S.E. Asian x Indica)
Purple Bud
Skunk#1
Burmese
Train Wreck (Thai x Afghani x Mexican)
Bangi Haze
SAGE

B.T.W., this is also a gross over-simplification because it leaves out line-breeding and back-crossing.

Obviously, it is much easier for me to refer to it as Wicked Weed, or Bangi Wicked, or my most recent reference as SAGE-ified Bangi Wicked.

It's all the truth, yet it's all different.

When I was younger, back in the 1980s and 90s, Haze was described as Colombian x Mexican x Thai x South Indian. This reflects the first description I ever heard of Haze. Of course for others this is not the truth. Their truth is that Haze was three different types of Colombian. Their truth is specific to a point in history. For some of us, this might mean that someone was using Haze as a description for good sativa. For others, maybe the Colombian in this "Colombian x Mexican x Thai x South Indian" was a shortcut for three types of Colombian, and this is just a further working of Haze, so it's still Haze, not just a marketing ploy.

You mentioned that Adam said the strain that was used for SAGE was "Triple A". What I have to wonder is, does the "triple" part refer to the three different types of Colombian in Haze. Some coincidence, since we have also seen SAGE described as Haze which for some, is defined as three Colombians? Triple A and Haze are both from California. Another coincidence. I'm often suspicious of one coincidence, and this is two about the same subject.

This is what I know from experience about SAGE and Big Sur Holy weed. I'm stubbornly holding to this. They are related. I have held cuttings of each gifted to me from different sources at overlapping periods of time. I also had more than a dozen other cuttings being kept in a cabinet along with those. I could very easily, without looking at labels, pick out the two that were BSHW and SAGE. Depending on the stage of development, there were times when I could not distinguish the difference between BSHW and SAGE. I'm pretty good at shapes and smells. I am somewhere on the autistic continuum, more autistic than most. I can see things that other people seem to be blind to. I pay for these super powers by not being good at preventing myself from blurting out the obvious truth, to me anyway, before considering other's sensitivities to that truth. LOL. It is so blatantly obvious to me that SAGE and Big Sur Holy Weed are closely related. No one will ever convince me otherwise, because it would seem so laughably obtuse to me, given that I see it with my eyes, and smell it with my nose. It would be like someone saying rain is not wet, to me. For others, it isn't that way, I suppose... :dunno:

I see some slight, vague similarity between what people call Purple Haze and Purple Zacatecas. This has been reinforced by reading someone's speculation that Purple Haze is Purple Zacatecas. It also matches the history of strains and growers fleeing Mexico because of the widespread spraying of Paraquat in Mexico back in the 1970s. I lived that history, from a consumer's perspective in the U.S. Supply from Mexico quickly shifted to supply from Colombia. I would have no problem with someone else's evidence that this is not the case. This is not obvious to me, just within the realm of possible, based on my observations.

This is a bit off track, but here is another thing I know. Neville's Haze has Thai in it. I found one that had the very distinctive Thai high. This is completely obvious to me. Now I believe I have read that Neville's Haze was Haze C, Haze A, and Northern Lights. I'm not sure about that, but I think the formula goes something like that. Maybe it's Haze C X (NL x C). Either way, it would mean that this information about Thai was hidden from us, or that the Haze used was Haze defined as something more than just Colombian. Who knows, and who cares. The only reason I care is because I adore Thai, and I'm looking for Thai expressions from previous crosses, and I've found it in someone's Haze.

The bottom line for me, regarding SAGE, is that I'm assuming all are telling the truth, and that they are all correct. There is an evidentiary trail that this assumption is correct. Why not just roll with it? I still highly recommend SAGE, Big Sur Holy Weed, and Haze, and I see similarities in the highs from all these.

ThaiBliss

Ignatz

Veteran
Ha! Honestly, I'm a little surprised. You seem to have plenty of ace gear, but not the DT?
Maybe one day you meet someone growing them.
If you have Double Luck, they are making shitloads of seeds. :biggrin:

picture.php

DTd51 1/sl

As for the smoke report, how about june? Now is ~w15, will come down soon-ish. :tiphat:

herbgreen

Veteran
I'm right there with you on the Mexican/bshw as far as SAGE

The triple A is just a classification of how good it is And they were told it might have been 'Chamba' but they dont know and came to conclusion its probably BSHW

If you listen to this edition of Adam Dunn Show its all right here @ 23:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB5Def_ueeM

start @23:00 will make the most sense

(dont start at the beginning the sound is messed up first few minutes )

Good conversation with Kagyu of coastal seeds

BTW kagyu works with a lot of thais, colombians, and landraces really interesting guy

Heres another interview w/him i ran accross today talking to chris carr in santa cruz ksco radio 'cannabis connection'

https://soundcloud.com/the-cannabis-connection/kagyu-coastal-seeds-10272017

Last edited: