What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Donald, im curious if that is a pure Laos.
yes absolutely roman,
it might seem kinda chunky for a pure sativa ,
which i think it is also , but i have seen them like that before when i was younger and the gene pool was probably more diverse ,
dont forget i also live in the tropics so they always grow better than if they are out of the tropics ...

the other ones were slightly less fat and more leafy ,,
i selected the very best of them ,

oh and also i got it directly from the source in asia , so i can assure you it is laos ..

oh and also i sent the exact same seed to tb ,
he was lucky to even get them to flower before his season ended ,
indicating they are certainly a pure sativa and very long flowering ....

Betterhaff

Veteran
anyhow heres my shot at it with some zamal and some laos ,
note how golden the laos was even before the cure began ...
Hi Donald, you’ve been putting up some great shots, thank you.

Question. You don’t wrap the buds before you vac them or is that after they’ve been cobbed? Maybe it’s the machine I have but I have to wrap, basically to help keep things together and it seems to help with them from being crushed. If I try and vac naked buds they get crushed. The moisture content makes a big difference though. (I didn’t want to post up those bud pics again but those brought back memories).

SolarLogos

Question. You don’t wrap the buds before you vac them or is that after they’ve been cobbed? Maybe it’s the machine I have but I have to wrap, basically to help keep things together and it seems to help with them from being crushed. If I try and vac naked buds they get crushed. The moisture content makes a big difference though. (I didn’t want to post up those bud pics again but those brought back memories).
I have flower vacuum sealed in bags, but the flowers I don't want smashed go into quart mason jars as usual, then vacuum seal the lid on. If you're looking for a ferment/cure, it works great. They won't mold as long as the seal was clean and new and their is no air. Periodically check them as they are curing by tapping your fingernail on the top of the lid; you can tell the difference in sound between sealed and not sealed lids.
https://smile.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FCARWJAH-000-Wide-Mouth-Regular-Accessory/dp/B016OL1AB6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1HFD8ZGOWFJEQ&keywords=food+saver+jar+sealer&qid=1575821209&sprefix=food+saver%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-3
Hope it helps

SL

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

i kinda made a thai stick with the buds first ,
each was about an ounce ,
it was all relative sticky so wasnt too hard keeping them formed into the cigar shape ,
i was happy how they came out for sure ,
i gave some away and those folks were pretty happy too ...

thanks for the comments on the pics btw guys ... much appreciated..

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings Folks,

I spent quite a bit of time today getting Laos pollen on my remaining female plants, Baglung Nepali and the early flowering but Thai looking Zamaldelica. I've been trying to hit every remaining white pistil on the Nepali. During the last two weeks it was only the Gypsy Thai Stick cross male that had much pollen. If the Laos is viable, I'm thinking that about half the seeds will be the Gypsy, and the other half will be Laos on that Nepali plant. While hunting down every opening pollen sac I can find, and sneezing my @$$ off, I noticed some hermaphroditism starting on both the Gypsy and Laos males. This does not surprise me given the wildly inconsistent hours of light in my house that these plants have been enduring over the last few weeks.

This has all been less than ideal breeding, but I don't care. Acquiring true S.E. Asian genetics from plants that have had stellar reviews from growers that are old enough to know and that I trust, is exceedingly rare. The reports from Kangativa about his Gypsy Thai selection, and the reports about the Laos sound great. Hearing that the Laos is strong enough to peel paint, and is "weee doggie" strong from people who have smoked Thai Sticks is heartwarming. The plants I have grown have allowed me to confirm by physical structure and aroma are a match to what I was attempting to grow back in the 1970s directly from the Thai Stick seeds. I may spend the rest of my life culling 75% of my plants due to hermaphrodites and late ripening genetics. It will be more than worth it if I find the occasional plant that has two thirds of the potency and similar quality of those supreme genetics commonly available back in the 70s in the form of Thai Sticks.

Thank you Wally and Bushy. You guys are my heroes.

ThaiBliss
picture.php

LostTribe

Premium user
i was a bit concerned i/we might upset you and the thread tb ,
im glad you found it amusing instead ,

and your right about apples and oranges ,
i m sure now we were just getting our wires crossed and in fact we have many common experiences to share with one another,
its hard sometimes not to be passionate about something that almost consumes ones life ..

great new about the males dropping some pollen man ,
i hope its viable and you get something usable from the pollination,
it would be great to see you growing hybrids of those in the future and particularly finding something you like among them..

i noted on further grows of that laos that it took just the right amount of feeding , or lack of it , to produce the golden buds ,
the cuts i grew were fed quite well in comparison to the original mum and as a result didnt go golden ,
id say they were picked a little earlier too as i had issues with the rain ,
seasons have to be just right in order to replicate something done the year before , and that doesnt always happen sadly ... well not where i live anyhow...

im adding pictures of the mum i saved ,

first pic is the first grow of her ,
the following ones are examples of a few i did this year ,

same plant ..

View Image

View Image

View Image

All that is missing from that Tree is the xmas lights! Always amazing!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
For clarity. This is the Laos:
picture.php

The more mature Laos is, the more it looks like the Gypsy Thai.
Or, maybe this is the more leafy slightly stronger Laos. Maybe this is Donald's greenhouse one at it's vegetative growth stage. Donald?
Donald Mallard's Picture of more mature Laos leaves:
picture.php

This is the Gypsy Thai Stick x Neville's Haze 21 x Mullumbimby:
picture.php

Anyway, these above show the S.E. Asian look that are so seared into my brain.

Here is one of the offspring of my Wicked Weed line. I have been throwing Thai / S.E. Asian genetics at this line for 40 years and now ripens in October. The best weren't always the most Thai looking, or they would look identical to the ones above by now. I have never had pure or almost pure Thai/S.E. Asian genetics to cross this to since I started this line. I have been using Thai crosses that have proven to be good. I think you can see the leaf shapes that are similar to the pure stuff. I can't wait to see the results of bringing the genuine real deal stuff back into these hybrids:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey tb ,
thought i recognized the garden beds in that shot ,lol ..

otherwise yes it looks just like the thai cross you posted ,
and it is the laos as a youngen ...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Smoke Report

Smoke Report

Greetings,

I smoked some of the Zamaldelica bud. I knew it would be unlikely to be good because it didn't ripen enough before the first hard frost. I did hope that it would show enough to give me hope that it could be really good. I was disappointed. I got high, but it was weak, really weak. Perhaps a long cure would change things, but I doubt it. It looked way too early, and after smoking about 6 hits, more than I would ever normally smoke, I wanted to go get some SAGE-ified Bangi Wicked to get high. I didn't, because I wanted to see if it would blossom later, or keep me up all night, or have any effects that I didn't immediately notice. Nope, nothing of significance. It didn't have any negatives either, so that is good.

I think I'm going to dump the buds into the compost heap. I don't think it is worth trimming. I do have a cutting making seeds indoors. It is under terrible conditions, but I will smoke some when I think the seeds are done. You never know. I'll grow the Zamaldelica cross to SAGE-ified Bangi Weed, and perhaps the cross to Laos also, if seeds are successful. I'm not giving up, but unfortunately, I didn't get to test a good sample so far this year.
:cry:

I forgot to mention... I always give friends samples. One got passed on to someone else. I was told it freaked them out. I was told a guy went catatonic. His eyes were wide open, but he couldn't move. My friend was laughing about it. Probably smoked too much. Sativa leaning plants don't come on immediately. One has to be careful at first till you know what you have. They weren't sure which bud it was from. Damn it! I always label stuff because I want feedback. Not on my growing skills, but the test plants!!!! All my friends should know this by now. I harp on it all the time. It could have been the SAGE-ified Bangi Wicked because that was the most recent stuff I gave them. The other report came in on the SAGE-ified..., and I heard the term "baked" used. That's my next smoke report, for sure. LOL I was aching for some when the Zamaldelica fizzled. I smoke so infrequently, I need help. I work the next seven days in a row. I do have a stay-cation in January. I may have to wait till then.

ThaiBliss

H

hard rain

I might have a trip weed candidate. It looks trippy if nothing else. This is a Nanan Bouclou. Previously I haven't had any trippy NB's but this one is a bit like the start of a mushroom trip, where things are starting to get interesting. Colours are brighter, objects vibrate and stand out like 3D, and you have this feeling of excitement like something is coming but you don't know what.
This became a trifoliate, then fasciated (hope I got that right, just learned about it)
picture.php

Last edited:

mexicani-ar

Anyone got any pictures of Oldsog Super Silver Haze and pictures of the Cough (NL#5xHaze) used by Dynasty? I've heard great things about these Haze crosses but haven't seen many pictures.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I took a good look at my Gypsy Thai Stick x Neville's 21 x Mullumbimby Madness plant. It was drooping, and after I watered it, I turned up the lights to take a good look. It looked played out. Yikes!

I jumped into action and cut it down onto a big piece of craft paper. I shook it. Then I strained what fell off and all that was left was a very little pollen and some dried pollen sacs. I scraped off the sacs, and poured the pollen into a paper pouch and put it in a jar of dried rice. I did the same for Laos, then put the jar in the refrigerator.

I'm sneezing my ass off, and having a hard time breathing. OMG! If I don't die, a couple of days from now, it's going into the freezer until the next flowering period of my outdoors plants. I'll be anxious to see if this works.

The Laos plant was stinking like cat piss for the first time that I noticed. I LIKE!!! It's still alive, so I'll continue to hit the Baglung Nepali with it.

Got to go breath some steam,

ThaiBliss

YukonKronic

The NB sounds exactly like a good Zam... sorry to hear your early cut didn’t do it for you Thai.. I had the same experience when I did my first run of Zam... it really is the last two weeks where she starts to shine...
You may have better luck crossing a 10 week pheno into your line and looking for “the special” that way...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Yes, this is not something new. Some of the terpene vapors make my eyes burn and inflame my nostrils. But the pollen, whoa!