What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

Im'One

Would they grow in central Oklahoma. We are just now getting our cold spells. ? I could actually move plants intoa 14 foot tall shop building. Lighting might be insufficient.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Rev,

Sorry about the Bangi trouble. I hope you get a spectacular toke, at least, that makes it all worth while. Sometimes, one experience can make me very satisfied. Great weed can be that way.

I have a fascinating, at least to me, update. I'm seeing progress on the Laos and Thai. Got some pollen drops. I hope the Baglung Nepali gets ripe enough to produce a seed from these pollens. I'm throwing the pollen on that plant. Also, another of the three Laos I planted is male, two out of three so far. No sign of hermies. This is interesting because it is often reported how hard it is to find males in these equatorial exotics.

ThaiBliss

therevverend

Veteran
Would they grow in central Oklahoma

You'd run into the same problems that most everyone who tries these strains in temperate climates run into, these varieties are native to areas without 4 seasons. They may have a wet/dry cycle but it's 85 degrees every day in most of Thailand, January or July. A lot of the more 'borderline' tropical strains, Mexicans, northern India, South African, they at least have winter. In places with warm weather through October they're doable. Keralan, Thai, Central African, lowland Columbian, you need that intense tropical sun right up through Christmas.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
It has been a cold fall, and continues to be so. For the next several days, lows are expected in the low teens to low 20s. This is about as cold as it gets in these parts. I have brought my most cherished plants from the greenhouse into my house. This will screw up the light cycles, but I hope it keeps them alive, continues to ripen and make seeds. The handful left in the greenhouse will test the conditions that occur under this stress. I brought these in:

2 different Zamaldelicas
Male Gypsy Thai Stick x Neville's 21 x Mullumbimby Madness
Earliest and most spicy/peppery male Laos
Baglung Nepali as a female breeder for the S.E. Asians
Fett's 303

What a crazy and great year. My skills constantly get tested by these wonderful plants.

ThaiBliss

Thought I'd chime in a bit as I've followed this thread on and off since it started.

Finding strains with unique and trippy qualities has always peaked my interest and I've collected a nice variety of pure landrace strains as well as other landrace hybrids. I'm still searching for that special trippy effect that isn't dependent on mood or tolerance.
Closest I've found in ththe past were a super hazey pheno of Sage and Neville's Dawg (Neville's Haze x Chem D)

I'm currently growing outdoors in Hawaii and have the perfect conditions and climate to cultivate pure sativas. I'm actually surprised more people don't grow them here since the flowering time is much shorter than on the mainland and they perform well.
My Golden Tiger is a beautiful plant that produces a classic sativa high and does have psychedelic qualities to it. For me, it doesn't consistently provides a trippy experience but if you have a low tolerance and arent used to this type of cannabis, I can certainly see how it could. However it's a great antidepressant strain and gives me heavy feelings of nostalgia. It's the type of nostalgia that makes me feel like a kid again. Back when life was care free, there wasn't anything to stress about and it was all about living in the moment.

Surprisingly the trippiest strain I've grown since living here has been Blue Moon Rocks from BOG. The blue phenos that showed up the most had it more. The first harvest had a couple plants which had me lost in another world when I would listen to music. Everything looked more colorful and vivid as well. I almost felt like I had taken a tolerance break and just started smoke herb again. My eyes were bloodshot, which rarely happens. I saved the cuts of those phenos and the following test results have been similar at times but not quite the same as the first time. What I like the most about the strain is the way it alters my auditory perception. Music just sounds smoother and different, even if it's a song I've listened to a 1000 times. It's not an extremely potent smoke so I do find I might have to smoke more than some other strains to get these kind of effects. It has a sativa like ceiling in ways despite being indica dominant and the effects tend to be more on the trippy sativa side with earlier harvests. The terpenes on these phenos are definitely old school blueberry. I'm surprised more people don't grow this strain that are seeking something similar to some of the late 90s/early 2000s blueberries.

I have some Bangi Haze seedlings going at the moment inspired by ThaiBliss. I also hope to work with some of my other landrace sativa genetics in the future. Will let you guys know if I find anything special.

Cheers:tiphat:

Sticky Sat

Hi guys :)

Speaking of Bangi Haze... Despite their look, last harvested bangos still delivers a clear electric racy high...
attachment.php

attachment.php

the faithful O...
attachment.php

Cheers all... :)

Attachments

• bango 6.jpg
    bango 6.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 32
  • O 281119.jpg
    O 281119.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 35

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thanks for posting Witchdoctor. It's about time! LOL You are living in a perfect place to grow the greatest strains on the planet. I have visited Hawaii a couple of times in my life. I wish I was back in Kona right now swimming, snorkeling, growing, and sipping Mai Thais while watching the sunset. Feeling the rumblings of the volcano putting me in my place. Jesus!

I got to post about those plants in my house. I came home from work, opened the door, and got a face full of a stench of "how did the cat get locked in my house?". Nope. It's the second Zamaldelica I'm growing. It's pungent kerosene/turpentine and sour citric is marking it's territory in my heart. LOL It smells way more like Thai than the earlier Zamaldelica that was in my outdoor garden. Bowls me over.
picture.php

I think it is splayed out and airy because of not enough light this time of year. I'll have no hesitation growing those few seeds that I can find on her. She is so much later ripening than the other one.

ThaiBliss

Sticky Sat

Great news about the Thai smelling pheno TB... :)

Thanks for the kind words Wally and AfricanMagic... :)

@AfricanMagic... it's more exactly an O x Bangi Haze cross... :)

Cheers all... :)

right

I love the look of your bangi haze Stickysat. I wonder if some of the loose bud structure on some of these sativa are a way of dealing with the humidity in the jungle?

Sticky Sat

Thanks Right... :) can't say for sure but it would make sense... :) the twigs on sticks aspect is made worse by the long days season though... gets a bit denser and less leafy during short days season... :)

Thanks for posting Witchdoctor. It's about time! LOL You are living in a perfect place to grow the greatest strains on the planet. I have visited Hawaii a couple of times in my life. I wish I was back in Kona right now swimming, snorkeling, growing, and sipping Mai Thais while watching the sunset. Feeling the rumblings of the volcano putting me in my place. Jesus!
:tiphat:

Hawaii is a wild place to grow outside, I'm truly blessed. Pure sativas are the only strains that don't do well year round here, but they do incredible during the short season (October-March). My Golden Tiger will flower during the long season but it takes about 12-16 weeks to finish. I can get it finished in under 8 weeks during the short season. I have another unknown pure sativa strain that wont even flower during the long season. That one takes about 12-14 weeks once it starts to bloom in August. I think I'll be able to get it down to 8-9 weeks now that we are fully in short season.

Heres a shot of my harvested Golden Tiger taken at around 7 weeks during short season! If I push to 8 sometimes it's actually too long and it loses some of the uplifting effects I desire.

Attachments

• 20191203_100436.jpg
    20191203_100436.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 31

romanoweed

Are you serious Witchdoctor? You get a Golden Tiger ready in 8 Weeks?? I think you are the only one i ever heard saying something like that. What is the Explonation for that?? im reaaally curious!!

Are you serious Witchdoctor? You get a Golden Tiger ready in 8 Weeks?? I think you are the only one i ever heard saying something like that. What is the Explonation for that?? im reaaally curious!!

Honestly I'm not exactly certain why things finish faster here but I believe it has to do with the high UV index the sun provides. Much higher than anywhere on the mainland and certainly better than any artificial lighting. Nothing has taken longer than 7 weeks to finish during short season. My hybrids and indicas are done in 6-7 weeks and Golden Tiger 7-8. My unknown sativa I think may take 8-9 but would probably take at least 16 weeks anywhere else. I also use the gas lantern technique for veg (12-1) which I believe triggers more aggressive flowering when switched to bloom. I'll know more as I experiment with my other landrace sativas.

I should also mention it's kinda incredible most strains flower year round here. During the summer solstice we get around 14 hours of daylight, so somehow they are able to flower on a 14-10 lighting cycle. Hybrids and indicas generally take 8-10 weeks to finish during this period.

romanoweed

I think 14-10 means : the 14 stands for the Dayhours... So , i think that when the Dayhours are at 14 Hours, thet the Plants feel, that it might become Summer eventually, and since the Buds already formed halfway, they decide to fast Flower to the End!

Imagine it like: when you are used to do things, you just cant accept them otherway around. Imagine when you was in Holydays, sometimes you felt just strange, cause just everything looks and smells different. That is probably same with the Plants: they could flower theoretically also with increasing Hours, i mean it would be physically possible, why not, but they are just used to not flower with increasing Hours , they would feel strange, so they decide to flower fast to the End and are Able to Speed up flowering. Shure im Aware that they would anyway not flower with increasing Hours since its a Survival-Mechanism to finish in moderate Climate.
But apruptly placed where is no winter, such a Plant would like said not Need that Mechanism. Probably this work only if there is some northern Heritage in a Strain. ( Probably the Malawi side of Golden Tiger bares enough Indica Heritage from Himalaian Origin, aswell as Meao-Thai in it is strongly aclimatisized to Spain)

Same with Rootbound: Plants can finish Flowering faster, altho often the look is compromised heavily, but they Flowers are finished faster.

Its interesting Thematic for moderate Climate sativa Enthusiasts like me. But i have no idea, if my Theroy is right.

Gas-Latern Technique?? tell me more!

Last edited:

romanoweed

Oh, i read about Gas-Latern Techique and they indeed write that this unnatural Cycle can cause Plants to start Autoflowering , or to flower even under 16 hours Light!!! never heard that., but this fits with your Observations!

So, probably you irritated the Plants so they went completely into Flowering-for-Savety-Mode. Just finish as soon as Possible.

Alltho i read the technique is used to get cheaper Electricitybill and different Growth.

Never heard that. Now, did you see a certain Strain behave consistently like that? Did your golden Tiger 8 Week fastflower every single Time ?

Oh, i read about Gas-Latern Techique and they indeed write that this unnatural Cycle can cause Plants to start Autoflowering , or to flower even under 16 hours Light!!! never heard that., but this fits with your Observations!

So, probably you irritated the Plants so they went completely into Flowering-for-Savety-Mode. Just finish as soon as Possible.

Alltho i read the technique is used to get cheaper Electricitybill and different Growth.

Never heard that. Now, did you see a certain Strain behave consistently like that? Did your golden Tiger 8 Week fastflower every single Time ?

Flowering year round actually has very little to do with the gas lantern technique aside from triggering quicker flowering.

Fact is, everyone who grows outdoors here does it year round for the most part, no special techniques others than supplemental light for veg. Most people here still run 18/6 and 24/0.

As I said before, the Golden Tigers only flowers fast during the short season. It's not a one time accident. I'm able to pull a new harvest every month with my perpetual grow system during the short season.