What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Not sure how some folks judge the quality of a toke by whether its chunky or not ,
im with you guys on being fine with those airy buds ,

yours look great tb , id probably take them over a chunker as its more likely to deliver the kinda high im chasing ...

One question , how come those caterpillars are called worms over where you guys are , they seem to be a caterpillar to me , ie something that will turn into a moth or a butterfly , vs something with no legs that is generally found in the soil , or intestines etc ??

Sticky Sat

Hi guys, some more silver pearls pics... battling a thrips infestation at the moment but if not for that they'd be pretty girls...

the batch after a rain shower...
attachment.php

Underside view of the structure...
attachment.php

earliest male...
attachment.php

This one is light green like only one of the females... both have rather long slender branches and a coffee smell...
attachment.php

Quite narrow leaves...
attachment.php

Attachments

• sp 16-09.jpg
    sp 16-09.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 35
  • sp structure 16-09.jpg
    sp structure 16-09.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 41
  • sp male 10-09.jpg
    sp male 10-09.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 33
  • light green sp male.jpg
    light green sp male.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 39
  • sp male 14-09.jpg
    sp male 14-09.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 35

Sticky Sat

Some of the girls heads... While looking relatively homogenous there's differences in leaves shapes and smells...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sp 4 16-09.jpg
    sp 4 16-09.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 37
  • sp 3 16-09.jpg
    sp 3 16-09.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 36
  • sp 2 16-09.jpg
    sp 2 16-09.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 39
  • sp 1 16-09.jpg
    sp 1 16-09.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 33
  • sp 5 16-09.jpg
    sp 5 16-09.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 35

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Zamaldelica x destroyer,
She smells like lemons, it grows like crazy (I had to bend it and tie it because it's as tall as me)and started very late to bloom, and unlike its sisters it has these little buds, with little resin but very fragrant...
picture.php

picture.php

And this one...ok,isn't a weed, but its amazing at morning...
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
...yours look great tb...
One question , how come those caterpillars are called worms over where you guys are , they seem to be a caterpillar to me , ie something that will turn into a moth or a butterfly , vs something with no legs that is generally found in the soil , or intestines etc ??
Thanks sir.

Good point about the caterpillars. I didn't name them, but if I had to guess, it is because worm is used as a pejorative, due to it is "something with no legs that is generally found in the soil , or intestines etc". Examples are "stop eating my buds, you worm" or, "stop bad mouthing my buds if you are going to come back around and beg me for seeds, you worm". The following may be nicer, but a good pejorative sounds better than "smoke before you judge, you butterfly".

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Willydread - That Zamaldelica x Destroyer looks like something very special. Kudos to you for making a cross that has the potential to throw an intense Thai phenotype. The other genetics, especially Reunion Island and Mexican (possibly Mex. Red Hair), in it's heritage are no slouches either.

Sticky Sat - I think those Silver Pearls are very pretty girls, and looking prettier all the time. Honestly, at first I was disappointed in how fat the leaves were. Now, they are really showing off their sativa heritage. Someone corrected me about me thinking that they are predominately of Mexican heritage. I was confused between Early Pearl and Silver Pearl. I believe Early Girl is the basis of both of them, and a Mexican strain was the magic ingredient in Early Girl. I know that one plant of Early Girl showed me it's sativa Mexican side by it's effect. It was very good. I do believe that Early Girl is the one with the most Afghani influence. If Silver Pearl was created with the right Early Girl in it, it could be excellent. The ones you selected DO look gorgeous. Good old school Mexican is very underrated. IMHO, Mexican at one time was truly world class smoke. I believe the indigenous Mexican shaman's use of psychedelics substances, including mushrooms and Cannabis, and the location of shipping routes from S.E. Asia through overland routes near Acapulco to the Atlantic influenced the breeding of ganja to our great benefit.

ThaiBliss

SolarLogos

I've always wondered that myself Don, inchworm is another confusing word we use. Caterpillar are the larvae stage of moths and butterflies. Worm's don't have legs. I agree, they should be called caterpillar.

SolarLogos - That's the little brown b#st#rds in that second picture. Ugh! I thought they were tobacco worms or something.

Rev - The rains hit here yesterday afternoon, just after harvesting my Baglung Nepali. I showed a bud to a guy who made fun of how airy they are. After it had been raining for a few hours I was able to text him and say how he must wish he had airy buds and/or that they were already harvested. Mold is likely going to be a widespread problem this year. Also, the wasps can find the worms in the airy buds more easily.
ThaiBliss
I didn't get time to post this yesterday. We too got pounded by rain and wind yesterday morning. This is what I woke up to Monday, an 8' tall Honduran x Panama laying over horizontal.

She must have been that way a while, even after building a cage around her yesterday to stand her up and support her, she still doesn't want to stand up perfectly straight. Maybe a good sunny day will make her stretch up towards the sky a little.
I'm glad I picked the purple satellite when I did.
Peace, God bless

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
@thaibliss
Thanks, In reality it was just luck, it is the starting point for a totally sativa multihybrid, every year a male of a different strain will be added (this year it's Panama's turn x original haze), I'd like to see this lady grow in her natural form, maybe one day when the laws will change in my country ...
@sticky sat
Beautiful plants, in late '90,early 2000,i saw a lot of that in Switzerland....
Some clarifications :
Silver Pearl is shiva skunk x early Pearl,
Early Pearl was a sativa mexican (or mexi/columbian) called pollyanna, crossed with early girl,
Early girl was a indica (afghani or paki), probably with a touch of Mexi o Columbian...

Sticky Sat

Very pretty girl Willy :) i'm sure the resin will come ;)

Shame for your beautiful HonPan SolarLogos... I'll keep fingers crossed that your loving care help them kick back and produce even more.. :)

Sticky Sat

Hey Wally, could be because when we see caterpillars in the buds it instantly feels like having a worm eating our brain... :biggrin:

@Willy, thanks for the kind words and information... :)
i grew 4 original early pearls in 89... 2 males and 2 fems but they were ripped off seeded... the 4 were different phenos but all gorgeous...

Honestly they didn't look more sativa than the silver pearls, rather the opposite actually... Guess it's the genetics lottery... ;)

@ThaiBliss i have to say i wasn't too happy with the wide leaves too, although some of them really look like some i saw on pure Mexican i grew in 87... amazing plants that were also stolen...
Let's hope for the best and see what comes out... :)

Cheers all :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
makes sense , re the worms ,
funny you guys get pretty much the same sort of err , worm we do in our buds here ,
i usually just refer to them as bastards ,, lol ...

those silver pearls do look real nice sticky ,
i wonder if the wider leaf is due to the time of year your growing them ??

i know here ,particularly with the bud , during the shorter season they are more dome shaped , and into the long season they get a bit more spear shaped ,
anyhow either way they look particularly healthy and happy ...

Sticky Sat

makes sense , re the worms ,
funny you guys get pretty much the same sort of err , worm we do in our buds here ,
i usually just refer to them as bastards ,, lol ...

those silver pearls do look real nice sticky ,
i wonder if the wider leaf is due to the time of year your growing them ??

i know here ,particularly with the bud , during the shorter season they are more dome shaped , and into the long season they get a bit more spear shaped ,
anyhow either way they look particularly healthy and happy ...

Thanks for the kind words Wally... :) i totally agree regarding the changes in shapes along the year but honestly couldn't say in that case cause it's been too long since i grew this particular strain...

A sure thing is that the seeds were from extremely sativa looking plants, with very sparse buds, like the majority of plants i had from that strain at the time, reason why i stopped growing it pure... i actually had much bigger buds after crossing it with a pure south american sativa that had come from Perlas islands on a sail boat... :)

And yes, "bastards" seems a perfect general classification term for any plants' agressor... :D

Breadwizard

I thought early girl was an early mexican x afghani hybrid bred to be early finishing and mold resistant for northern California growing by Sandy Weinstein, and possibly having influence from RC Clarke as well.

Rumor that o deli's "first lady" may be from this gene pool, being an "early mexican" gifted by RC Clarke. I've got some at about week 7 of flower and is definitely showing signs of indica influence: Waxy dark green leaves, tight innernodes, flower habit. Here are some lowers at about day 40 of flower.
picture.php

It does appear pretty inbred, and has a desirable veg habit. Pleasing aromas of citrus and sweet pine. I'm thinking of crossing my favorite from the pack with my fav zamaldelica dad, could mix quite well, and even possibly finish outdoors here!

Edit: here's the other one I kept, at 23 days of flower. Looks and smells nearly identical.
picture.php

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Very pretty girl Willy :) i'm sure the resin will come ;)

Shame for your beautiful HonPan SolarLogos... I'll keep fingers crossed that your loving care help them kick back and produce even more.. :)
Thank you my kind friend. She is standing back up, but I had to build a bamboo cage around her, she didn't really want to straighten out at first. I'll get pics up on my thread soon, I had to build a cage around the Nevil's haze x Panama as her many arms were flopping down from the weight. Thanks for sending good vibes.
Peace, God bless

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Willydread - Thanks for the info on the Silver Pearls.

They remind me of something I once grew named Mikado. Also look a bit like C99. I have read some nice sounding descriptions. One person posted a description of the aromas as citric and pine which about sums up my list of favorite terpenes associated with the effects I like. Another seemed to have my experience with the Early Girl. Very cerebral, but also relaxing, while giving enough energy to want to do things.

Sticky - They look better and better as they develop. Looking forward to the next update.

I really love it when there are so many posts to read.

Thanks everyone,

T.B.

Sticky Sat

Willydread - Thanks for the info on the Silver Pearls.

They remind me of something I once grew named Mikado. Also look a bit like C99. I have read some nice sounding descriptions. One person posted a description of the aromas as citric and pine which about sums up my list of favorite terpenes associated with the effects I like. Another seemed to have my experience with the Early Girl. Very cerebral, but also relaxing, while giving enough energy to want to do things.

Sticky - They look better and better as they develop. Looking forward to the next update.

I really love it when there are so many posts to read.

Thanks everyone,

T.B.

Thank you for your nice words and for welcoming us here TB... :)

It's funny what you say about the C99, i was thinking the same yesterday... :) They likely share a common ancestor but i've never seen a sp done in less than 8 weeks... :) Curious to see how they'll fare with the new rh as at the time we almost never had any mold problem, even on nl or sk... i don't remember having ever seen mold on a sp... knocking on wood... :)

JohnnyChicago

Destroyer Haze

Tried this pheno for the first time yesterday and could describe it the best as a hazy Thai pheno.

Taste is spicy, lemony and woody with an uplifiting, creative, psychedelic high. Really reminds me the thais, but with some magic and power added by the haze. Can't wait to see how it will improve with the cure...
picture.php

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
purple trippiness?

purple trippiness?

Thai Chiang Mai x Panama Goddess,

This lady has been flowering indoors for months (my fault), took her outdoors some days ago:

picture.php

picture.php

Smells to sweet lemons and pine, with a hazey touch.

She's turning solid purple on all stems:

picture.php

High hopes on this other girl, a wild cross from possibly Zamadelica, is absolutely clear now her dad was the Purple Honduras male:

picture.php

Difficult to take a picture with proper color rendition, really beautiful super pale lime green leaves which make incredible contrast with all solid purple petioles.

Temps here hover around 18C min - 30C max, so doesn't look like temperature-induced purples.