What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

therevverend

Veteran
Harvest time's creeping up on me, summer's flown right by again. Great to look at everyone's plants at this stage. There's a real chance I could get rained out this year, this is the wettest September in many years. 20 years ago it was common, I'd try to have all my plants down by September 20th. Mushroom season would start one week into October. Things have really changed.

My Bangi Haze is the slowest plant to flower. Almost everything else is getting dense, producing full-on flowers and crystals. It's just starting to produce tufts of hairs. Very strange, the other time I grew Bangi she was early. Done first week of October. All along i"ve considered her an anomaly, a mutation or rare phenotype. I'm certain I didn't mix up my labeling.

She's got a wonderful fruity smell, very strong. You don't have to rub the stem, just getting close to it the fragrance fills the air. Very curious what the flowers will smell like, experience has shown that stem rubs aren't necessarily what the resin will smell like. During Veg I could see the resin glands on the new leaves, I'm expecting a lot of frost. Even for a late bloomer I'm surprised by how big she's gotten. She really stalled out in June and early July, since then she's come on in a hurry. Here's what she looks like. You can tell I'm a pro because you can see my fingers on the lens.

picture.php

Tall and bushy. I had stem rot issues with the strain in the past, her neighbors already have it so I'm worried about her chances of making it to a successful harvest. The good part about her not flowering already is the torrential rains and humidity haven't had an effect. Fingers crossed for an Indian Summer, maybe once she buds up we'll get two weeks of sunshine.

The frustrating part about the early rain is how early some of my other plants are finishing. It came at the worst time for my Purple Luis, the long candelabra flower structure is unstable already. Add in moisture saturation and wind and they're bending all over the place. The smells are wonderful, fruity purple.

picture.php

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
OMG, what beauties!! :yummy:

My possibly Zamaldelica cross has solid purple petioles:

picture.php

Guess this points to the purple honduras male as the parent...

Sticky Sat

Beautiful plants from all of you guys :)

few nug shots from last batch... took almost 2 weeks to dry because of the rain... 2 last sunny days finished it...

O
attachment.php

O 88
attachment.php

Sage
attachment.php

O close up
attachment.php

Attachments

• O 9-09.jpg
    O 9-09.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Sage 9-19.jpg
    Sage 9-19.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 30
  • O 88.jpg
    O 88.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 30
  • O close up.jpg
    O close up.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28

Sticky Sat

And a few from the silver pearls...
they're good easy girls but dont like their roots too wet... nice structures for most... from 3 to 4 '

attachment.php

first hair...
attachment.php

Male
attachment.php

leave's details... they're huge...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers all :)

Attachments

• SPs 12-09-19.jpg
    SPs 12-09-19.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 28
  • sp male.jpg
    sp male.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 27
  • silver pearl first hair.jpg
    silver pearl first hair.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
  • sp leaves.jpg
    sp leaves.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30
  • sp leaves 2.jpg
    sp leaves 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 28

Sticky Sat

Hi Sticky Sativa,

What strain is O?

Hi Siever :)

O is an S1 from a totally sativa dominant Agent orange pheno x Congo i ran for 6 years before losing it... Glad that at some point she produced a lone nanner (only got 4 seeds)
Been running the O for 10 years now... there's much stronger strains but she's good enough for me, very uplifting high with a glowing loving feeling, clean landing, super mold resistant and a fast 6 weeker... :)

Some of the most beautiful bud shots I've seen. Perfect job both on the growing and the photography my friend. Wish I was near by to get a lung full of that with ya!

Peace, God bless

Thanks for the much too kind words brother... :) Taking pics is almost all i use my phone for... :)
It would indeed be a great joy to share but no more lung full for me... i can only eat cookies due to a botched surgery that nicked my lungs...
Sure miss the terps but cookies are great though... i daily enjoy very long flights at reasonable altitude... ;)

Cheers all :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Sticky Sat - You always have those really sticky looking sativas. Loving the glow that those Silver Pearls are showing also. I hope they match your standards. Love your posts here about them all.
:tiphat:

I'm trying to keep up. Here is the tip of the spear, literally and figuratively, of my Wicked experiments, SAGE-Ified Bangi Wicked:
picture.php

picture.php

I really had a nice morning in the garden. This SAGE-Ified mama is disappointingly late, but the resin coverage is looking very nice. Buds are keeping the Bangi Wicked tightness. Looks like the best of both worlds from SAGE and Bangi Wicked are coming through even though they only have 25% SAGE. I confirmed seeds took from the pollination of it's brother with the early flowering and strong aroma. I dusted another top with it, and put it down. Any other pollination this year will be from the 50% SAGE father or a couple of Baglung Nepali sprouts I recently started.

I should get an early sample of the Baglung soon. Here is a Baglung Nepali looking ripe:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

SolarLogos

Sticky Sat - You always have those really sticky looking sativas. Loving the glow that those Silver Pearls are showing also. I hope they match your standards. Love your posts here about them all.

I'm trying to keep up. Here is the tip of the spear, literally and figuratively, of my Wicked experiments, SAGE-Ified Bangi Wicked:
View Image
View Image

I really had a nice morning in the garden. This SAGE-Ified mama is disappointingly late, but the resin coverage is looking very nice. Buds are keeping the Bangi Wicked tightness. Looks like the best of both worlds from SAGE and Bangi Wicked are coming through even though they only have 25% SAGE. I confirmed seeds took from the pollination of it's brother with the early flowering and strong aroma. I dusted another top with it, and put it down. Any other pollination this year will be from the 50% SAGE father or a couple of Baglung Nepali sprouts I recently started.

I should get an early sample of the Baglung soon. Here is a Baglung Nepali looking ripe:
View Image

ThaiBliss
Greetings ThaiBliss,
Do you get cutworms up where you're at? I hadn't seen any all year until yesterday, I pulled 7 off of my purple satellite. Just a heads up if you do. Nepali looks great, I really enjoy your posts.
Peace, God bless

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings ThaiBliss,
Do you get cutworms up where you're at? I hadn't seen any all year until yesterday, I pulled 7 off of my purple satellite. Just a heads up if you do. Nepali looks great, I really enjoy your posts.
Peace, God bless
Thanks SolarLogos.

Yes, we do get big cutworms that you see on tomato plants. We also get small worms that attack buds. I forget what they are called, but I don't think they are cutworms. I don't really notice them until I see some mold. Then I realize that the mold is there because of the worm chewing around in the bud and the plant is leaking juices. The damage to the tissue and the wetness allows mold to get a hold. Never noticed so many pests until Cannabis became the top 1 or 2 crop in the valley by ACREAGE! It has been the top dollar crop for at least 25 years, but now... Holy F#ck! The hemp is coming in, at the same time as my Baglung by the way, and the whole valley stinks like it's spring with all the floral/herbal aroma. It is simply amazing. I always knew it was the right climate here to grow. The signature phrase of the town I live near is literally "Its the Climate". There is a sign over the main street. People love the hot dry days and cool nights of the summers.

Sticky Sat

View Image
View Image

View Image

ThaiBliss

Thanks a lot for the nice words TB... :) like all of us i try my best but i think the stickiness is mostly due to our latitude and short days...
During the long day seasons buds aren't that sticky and i'm actually happy when they're not soggy... ;)

That Sage-ified Bangi Wicked looks beautifully wicked... ;)
The Nepali is also an exotic beauty... Can't wait for the smoke report... :)

therevverend

Veteran
I don't get cutworms up here, at least not enough to cause damage. There's quite a few kinds of parasitic wasps that will control cutworms. Trichogtramma species, Chelonus, Cotesia Marginiventris. Cool rainy weather suppresses the wasps.

There's nematodes, Steinernema carposapsae that works during the wet weather. The Steinernema species are the most widely marketed, Biosafe, Exhibit, EcoMask, Exhibit SC, Sanoplant, are brands of parasitic nematodes you can buy.

There's a nuclear polyhedrosis virus (NPV) that kills the caterpillars. Mamestrin, Virin-EKS are brand names. Spinosad kills 'em, Dibflubenzuron is a synthetic form of a natural chitin inhibitor you can use. There's synthetic pheromone lures out there.

I'm seeing there's a cutworm bait, hardwood sawdust, wheat bran, molasses and water. Apply it in the evening and they get stuck in it overnight. You can lace the bait with insecticide to finish them.

Cutworms and army worms start out on the ground a lot of the time, tanglefoot will stop them from climbing up plants. Impressed by the amount of different means to eliminate the little bastards. I have no idea of the efficiency of each particular type of cure but it seems like trying them out would be better then watching the buds turn to mush.

I'm listening to the rain beating on my roof, I'm going to have to sweat it through 4 days of rain. Not going to be fun, going out to look for new grey mold and broken limbs every day. My plants have been leaning badly, tying them up every day is a chore.

SolarLogos

I don't get cutworms up here, at least not enough to cause damage. There's quite a few kinds of parasitic wasps that will control cutworms. Trichogtramma species, Chelonus, Cotesia Marginiventris. Cool rainy weather suppresses the wasps.

There's nematodes, Steinernema carposapsae that works during the wet weather. The Steinernema species are the most widely marketed, Biosafe, Exhibit, EcoMask, Exhibit SC, Sanoplant, are brands of parasitic nematodes you can buy.

There's a nuclear polyhedrosis virus (NPV) that kills the caterpillars. Mamestrin, Virin-EKS are brand names. Spinosad kills 'em, Dibflubenzuron is a synthetic form of a natural chitin inhibitor you can use. There's synthetic pheromone lures out there.

I'm seeing there's a cutworm bait, hardwood sawdust, wheat bran, molasses and water. Apply it in the evening and they get stuck in it overnight. You can lace the bait with insecticide to finish them.

Cutworms and army worms start out on the ground a lot of the time, tanglefoot will stop them from climbing up plants. Impressed by the amount of different means to eliminate the little bastards. I have no idea of the efficiency of each particular type of cure but it seems like trying them out would be better then watching the buds turn to mush.

I'm listening to the rain beating on my roof, I'm going to have to sweat it through 4 days of rain. Not going to be fun, going out to look for new grey mold and broken limbs every day. My plants have been leaning badly, tying them up every day is a chore.
Greetings my friend. These are the two varieties of cutworms that we get.

Green is the most common. In a day, they can bore down the center of a top cola, eating only long the stem, leaving feces everywhere in it's path.

I usually us BT and it does work very well, but I stopped spraying the PS (only plant I was spraying) and hadn't seen any, so I didn't want to spray just before harvest (big mistake, won't do it again). BT is supposed to be safe and able to use up until harvest.
I picked 7 cutworm off of the PS, luckily they hadn't done much damage. I then harvested them before it got worse. By Friday, every trichome was swollen and I was seeing a few amber, all cloudy and no clear. Everything else is in early flower. They usually won't be effected because the worms seem to prefer mature buds. By the time the other plants mature, they will be in the greenhouse and it will be too cold for the cutworms.

Funny you mentioned nanners as a sign of harvest, because I always thought that cutworms were also a sign of harvest because it seems they only like ripe buds, at least around here.
I'm going to give your other remedies a try. Thanks again for your input TheRev, your knowledge is always a pearl to me.

Peace, God bless

ThaiBliss

Veteran
SolarLogos - That's the little brown b#st#rds in that second picture. Ugh! I thought they were tobacco worms or something.

Rev - The rains hit here yesterday afternoon, just after harvesting my Baglung Nepali. I showed a bud to a guy who made fun of how airy they are. After it had been raining for a few hours I was able to text him and say how he must wish he had airy buds and/or that they were already harvested. Mold is likely going to be a widespread problem this year. Also, the wasps can find the worms in the airy buds more easily.

picture.php

picture.php

It kills me how people judge weed by bag appeal. I haven't smoked it yet, but if it is good... This is the reason commercial ganja has all gone to shit. It happens too slowly for most people to recognize what's going on.

Here is another story along the same line. Last year I gave a sample of something else to the same dude who again didn't like the looks of it. It got mixed with a lot of other samples, but I mark my bags with what it is. The very same guy on the very same day who gave me shit again about the looks of the buds asked me for seeds of the kind in a previous bag. A friend of his down the line wants to grow them. The name on that bag was Kali Mist Cross. Now that is the results of a true test. The guy who gives me sheit is still too blind to see it.

ThaiBliss

Sticky Sat

Beautiful Baglung TB :)

Glad you were able to cut it before the rain... Can't wait for the smoke report... :)

You're so right about most people only judging by looks... Wouldn't be so bad if they were only depriving themselves of some of the best but i'm afraid they often vote with the same mindset... ;)

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
SolarLogos - That's the little brown b#st#rds in that second picture. Ugh! I thought they were tobacco worms or something.

Rev - The rains hit here yesterday afternoon, just after harvesting my Baglung Nepali. I showed a bud to a guy who made fun of how airy they are. After it had been raining for a few hours I was able to text him and say how he must wish he had airy buds and/or that they were already harvested. Mold is likely going to be a widespread problem this year. Also, the wasps can find the worms in the airy buds more easily.

View Image
View Image

It kills me how people judge weed by bag appeal. I haven't smoked it yet, but if it is good... This is the reason commercial ganja has all gone to shit. It happens too slowly for most people to recognize what's going on.

Here is another story along the same line. Last year I gave a sample of something else to the same dude who again didn't like the looks of it. It got mixed with a lot of other samples, but I mark my bags with what it is. The very same guy on the very same day who gave me shit again about the looks of the buds asked me for seeds of the kind in a previous bag. A friend of his down the line wants to grow them. The name on that bag was Kali Mist Cross. Now that is the results of a true test. The guy who gives me sheit is still too blind to see it.

ThaiBliss
Unfortunately, few know how to appreciate a true sativa ...
I often enjoy giving away some of my Sat to friends, I saw people laughing at my zamaldelica and, after half a spliff, becoming pale and prey to paranoia and terror