What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

FoxFace

Greetings,

Super Laos is starting to get pissy. When I rub the stem and smell my fingers, I smell lemon. When I walk by the plant and get a whiff of what it is throwing off, I'm starting to smell the cat piss (citric pine) type of aroma. The biggest Laos, is getting close to 2.5 feet tall:
View Image

Gigantor strain.

ThaiBliss
she looks sexy good work you are doing with her ThaiBliss:huggg:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thanks FoxFace, Randy.

I'd like to hear the answer to the question to Leet. I think I have some of those Mango Haze seeds laying around somewhere.

So here is another picture of my favorite Gypsy Thai cross. I've been rubbing the stem so much I'm starting to go blind. Can't say mom didn't warn me:
picture.php

Here is a picture of Fett's 303:
picture.php

Here is my favorite Zamaldelica. It is starting to take off in our recent heat:
picture.php

Edit: I just smelled that big "animal mother" Laos. I got a very pungent smell of lemon menthol. Reminds me of old school Hawaiian... or my Bangi Wicked.
:dance013:

ThaiBliss

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
thai.... how long do these go?? i posted a pic of mine about 3weeks ago, n dubi commented looks to be an african leaner... we r now at 72 days, tricomes 90% clear, hairs white.. i'll get up some pics

ThaiBliss

Veteran
thai.... how long do these go?? i posted a pic of mine about 3weeks ago, n dubi commented looks to be an african leaner... we r now at 72 days, tricomes 90% clear, hairs white.. i'll get up some pics
I grew a Zamaldelica indoors a long time ago, and I remember it being a 12 week ripening pheno. I'd love to see pictures. My new favorite is based on traits I can observe so far. The first one was very strong and easy to grow, but not as cerebral/soaring/positive as I like them. I always wonder when I read "African". Does that mean Malawi? I say that because I think Africa might be the closet continent to Reunion Island.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Good Morning Thai (trip) Lovers!

I've had to work the last 6 days in a row. This is the first time I've been able to linger in my greenhouse as the sun is rising. I'm blown away by the array of plants I've been growing this year. This is the year of the Thai! All these penetrating lemon, pine, and menthol aromas have me tingling.

Many of the plants are starting to show pre-flower structures. I see a likely Laos female, and I may have to get my jeweler's loop out today since my favorite Zamaldelica looks like it might be female. Unfortunately, my favorite Gypsy Thai cross looks like a male. I'm not sure I care. It stands out, starkly, because of the lemon/pine cat piss aroma. It also has the most yellow green color and thin leaves. All the others smell so much of incense, which I have never associated with Thai. I grew one of those incense phenos indoors, and while I did a terrible job of it, the bud didn't impress me. Because of the contrast between my favorite pheno and all the rest, the high numbers of S.E. Asian related plants I have, I think I'll pass on the incense phenos and just keep the male. I intend to breed this Gypsy Cross plant. It may or may not be this year but I'm going to try and preserve it as a cutting for testing in my outdoor line, or another S.E. Asian gem.

This brings me to my favorite Zamaldelica plant, and the other 10 of them. It is somewhat by chance that my favorite is next to my favorite Gypsy cross. I do move my favorites to the front of the table they are on in my greenhouse. So I'm smelling the lemon pine vapors, and I get a little mixed up about which plant they are coming from. I have to smell each of them again. I am judging aromas from two places, from rubbing the stems, and from inhaling near the apical meristems. From the inhalations of the meristems, the Gypsy cross leans more towards the cat piss, and the Zamaldelica leans more towards the lemon/pine cleaner (solvent). It's splitting hairs, I know. They both trigger my memories of Thai Stick from back in the day.

I'm standing there staring at and smelling all my Zamaldelicas for a long time, seeing if I can identify my second favorite one. I see that my previous second favorite looks like it might be male, so I can't. I just can't find another one that smells anything like my winner selection. As I stare at them, my favorite is light years away from the others in so far as looking like a sativa. All the others have much fatter leaves and have more rich/earthy/sweet aromas that don't give that penetrating, rear my face away because of dangerous vapors reaction.

Again, I have a lot of plants. I always grow about 3 times more than what I intend to end up with. I also planted more because many of these are old seeds. I wanted to make sure enough sprouted in one attempt so that they are close in age for comparisons of vigor. I am going to cull viciously now. I expect pistils to start appearing this week, which will help. Given the numbers I started with and the clear differences I'm seeing, the Gypsy cross has already taken the brunt of it, and Zamaldelica is next.

When I say cull, and it comes to Zamaldelica, I mean pass them on to others so they will be grown. Harvest is a pain, and it helps to have ripening spread out over time, so I think there are a few people who will appreciate a late ripening plant if I assure them that they will be very potent. It will also give me a chance to learn a lesson if any of the ones I give away come out better than my personal selection.
:biggrin:
ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I just got back from the greenhouse in the midday heat. That Gypsy cross I love so much is throwing off a metallic aroma now. OMG!!!! Cat piss and metal shop, just like the Neville's Haze acid pheno. Best plant of the year. Too bad it's probably male. Wait, no! This may be the best thing that has ever happened to me in my cultivation hobby. If it breeds good children, I may want this for the rest of my life. I need to start some more of those Neville's Freak children.
:jump:
:crazy:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here is one I've neglected to post. I neglected it's health with those gnats. This one is finally getting healthy enough to work up a head of steam. Baglung Nepali:
picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
oh thai, the stench in your yard...:) very very nice work
:dance013:I get my nose all up in those plants every day. Always enjoying and evaluating. Nice to have some pure Thai/S.E. Asian and clear S.E. Asian leaning plants as benchmarks for comparisons.

This little SAGE-Ified Bangi Wicked finally is getting strong. Not the best aroma yet, but among the top 3 or 4. Here it was earlier:
picture.php

Today:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

It got hot this week and I had to move out of the greenhouse. I wish I had several in the ground by now, but the plants aren't showing gender yet. I wish I had planted earlier. I've been leaving them in the small 5 x 5 inch pots hoping it would stress them a bit and encourage them to throw a pistil or two. Many are showing something in the right location, but nothing definitive yet. I had to cut back 2 of the Laos, because they were getting too large for the pot size, and might get damaged. I also need to encourage branches to grow at the first node so they can be cut way back and kept small until they get near flowering.

My favorite Zamaldelica got a big black mark against it. At several nodes it looks like it is about to throw a pistil. At one spot, it looks male. This ambiguity is very bad. I've seen plants straighten out and be fine, but... I'm worried. It still stinks to high heaven in the ways that I like. I don't mean that as an aroma preference, but a preference because of an association of the aroma with powerful weed I have smoked in the past:
picture.php

Here is the last Laos not cut back. She is such a beauty, and while she doesn't have the incredibly strong menthol aroma that the other 2 Laos have, she does have a nice combo of lemon and turpentine fuel aroma. B.T.W., I do however associate the menthol smell with strong weed and it is dominant in my outdoor Wicked line:
picture.php

The Neville's Haze leaning Gypsy Thai Stick x Mullumbimby Madness x Neville's Haze #21 is my favorite so far this summer. What a Thai Stick stinking monster! The sharp penetrating smell of this one dominates the area where the plants are. It's not flowering, of course, but I can smell it from 6 feet away over all others. Good God I'm lucky to have found her! Neville (trip in peace) was my brother I never met, but my brother just because he seemed to prefer the kind of weed that is like the Thai Sticks that I grew up smoking and adored. What a service to the culture he was. This one is for you. My understanding is that his Neville's Haze 21 was his choice to move the grail to the next level. He didn't want to experiment with Gypsy Thai Stick because it was too wild, unruly, late flowering, etc. Well, thanks to my friend/benefactor, I get to. From this vantage point, it's looking like it might have been the wise choice for a Thai Stick lover like myself:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to cut back some of my big plants like the Gypsy Thai Stick cross. I may never see it again in it's natural glory. It will be hacked back, hack backed again, and again to keep it small enough to control in my yard and greenhouse. Here are a few pictures before I do:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Best Trips,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
... for a good, and i know you'll make wonders in the end...
No biggie. It's been my plan all along. Just wanted to document how it looks before the chop. Maybe the child of that will get grown without altering the natural structure. This could happen if the Baglung Nepali really ripens in September, and it is the one that gets crossed with it first. It's been a wondrous spring to see these S.E. Asian plants. I think I'll get one last picture of the heavy Thai leaners if the sun comes out today.

Best,

ThaiBliss

Breadwizard

I've been considering using these sort of "semi auto flower" sativas to help finish long flowering trip weed genetics further north. Would you consider the baglung Nepali potant? The other genetics that have this early start genetic trait seem to be higher in CBD, being sativa hash plants from the Levant or Mediterranean areas (Sinai, morocco, lebanon, Syria).

I've grabbed a pack of the Syria from RSC to breed an F1 with an early Mexican from RC Clarke, to help with the finicky microclimate at my folks place, but was expecting the Syrian to up the CBD level, possibly removing the trip weed quality.

How does the baglung affect the high when crossed with a trippy sativa?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I've been considering using these sort of "semi auto flower" sativas to help finish long flowering trip weed genetics further north. Would you consider the baglung Nepali potant? The other genetics that have this early start genetic trait seem to be higher in CBD, being sativa hash plants from the Levant or Mediterranean areas (Sinai, morocco, lebanon, Syria).

I've grabbed a pack of the Syria from RSC to breed an F1 with an early Mexican from RC Clarke, to help with the finicky microclimate at my folks place, but was expecting the Syrian to up the CBD level, possibly removing the trip weed quality.

These are good questions. I grew a plant I suspected to be Nepalese long ago. It was called "Seeing God" by the person who shared the cut with me. The high was strong and on the cerebral side, but not as clear as I prefer. Finishing in the second week of September is extremely valuable to me here. I ache for that cut back in my hands. See my signature.

My other experiences with Nepalese are NepJam and Bangi Haze. NepJam didn't work out for me. Now Bangi Haze I loved!!! I have found a couple with exceptionally clear and very high quality highs. Some not so clear were very strong. I love the clear ones, but they don't ripen till mid October. It appears that in the hands of the right breeder, there can be exceptional success. These are the reasons I'm exploring Baglung Nepali. Time will tell.

Here is my table of Thais:
picture.php

picture.php

I have great news. This year has been very slow for my plants to show their gender. I finally found two plants throwing pistils. The first one I found is on my favorite Zamaldelica!
picture.php

The second plant with a pistil is my most healthy and vigorous Baglung Nepali. It was hard to get a good picture because it is cloudy, cold, and windy:
picture.php

I'm going to grow 4 plants in "beast-mode" this year, as big as they desire. Because of Yoss33's lead, I've taken to growing one of them as a stretch. That is, one that might not ripen in time before frost or mold. I've had some luck with it. I got a lot of fine quality bud from the Kali Mist cross last summer even though more than half of the plant froze and ruined a lot of bud. The risk paid off. I got rid of all the other bud I grew last summer, and some I saved from the previous summer, because the Kali Mist cross grown outside was so much better. LOL!!! Thanks Yoss and Homebrewer for the help, encouragement, and leadership.

The Zamaldelica is my stretch plant this year. This particular plant is even more of a stretch because I'm not convinced it is solidly female. There is some ambiguity. No guts, no glory. I have a second favorite for the container/yard/greenhouse, as a backup plan. It is not showing any sign of gender yet, but it is a real beauty and resembles more what Yoss grew last summer, except for showing pistils early.

Cutting down my selections, and getting two in the ground will reduce my labor, as I have been watering twice a day in those little pots. Things are finally moving along.

ThaiBliss

ahortator

Veteran

Hi. I know it is not my business. But I wouldn't consider to use any strain from hash making areas if you want to keep the proper high of a sativa to bring down the flowering time. In my experience the small shortening of the flowering time doesn't worth the lose of the real sativa (trippy) high.

Hash plants are selected by bulk because they make the hash mixing all the crop so it is difficult to find an outstanding plant in such strains. On the other hand ganja plants are smoked usually from the same plant so the selection is much better and you will find most plants in such strains are good, or at least much better than if you smoke weed from a Middle Eastern strain single plant grown at home.

CBD is not great, it is only legal because it was allowed in most countries as it is the main cannabinoid hemp has. I have grown hemp and I have smoked it when I began to grow because actual ganja seeds were impossible to get for me. Hemp has no psichoactivity only gives you a headache.

If you are lucky enough to have an "Early" Mexican from Robert C. Clarke, and you want to keep the type of high, my advice is that you make more seeds grow them and try to find the earlier males and females and mate them bringing down the flowering time instead crossing them with something which makes the effects dull after not bringing down so much the flowering time.

I have grown an "autoflowering" Mango Zamal with 15 weeks of flowering time to discover later the high was nothing great but couchlocking (however it was strong but not pleasant, "trippy" or true sativa like) because the breeder used an Afghan/Skunk type hybrid strain to "cut down" the flowering time of the Zamal female, instead the South Indian they claimed.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I'm not sure I'd make assumptions about all hash plants in one category. I'm very sensitive to couch-lock. I hate it, and it get's culled if it shows up. Nepalese hash is famous for being the most cerebral hash. I think the breeder of Bangi Haze has done a fantastic job breeding Congolese with Nepalese. There are some chemotypes in Bangi Haze that are exceptionally clear. I'm a lover of the Thai Stick high, but the special Bangi Haze individuals I have found are far cleaner and more clear in the high than any Thai Stick I have smoked. It is more on par with the Mexican grass from the late 1960s and early 70s, the most cerebral highs I've ever experienced. Those were the days of thinking that you smoked 6 hits and you don't feel anything... until you realize you've been laughing your ass off at the most trivial things. Everyone else who smoked is getting the same "joke". Others who didn't smoke are laughing along, with a "contact high", but shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at us at the same time. They laugh along because genuine joy is so rare to see. You usually only find it in the belly laugh of a 3 year old child.

Another plant that looked very much like a hash plant was Burmese from Vancouver Island Seed Company. They looked like the sturdiest most thick stalked indica plants I've grown, though the buds did stretch out a bit like sativas. That was very cerebral, trippy, and strong as well. The results of lab testing of my line at the time of my most recent out crosses with Burmese and Train Wreck showed very low levels of CBD. The summary page rounded it off at 0.0% More importantly, it was good smoke. Train Wreck was made by combining Thai, Afghani, and Mexican. I chose it as a rare success story of using Afghani to make it ripen earlier, at least the individual that I smoked and bred.

On the contrary, I introduced a pure indica in my line once and deeply regretted it. It took many generations of inbreeding and out crossing to get rid of the couch-lock that infected my line. It was a nightmare, but was too stubborn to abandon the line. Hehe!

I will make seeds using the Baglung Nepali, but I won't use them until I smoke the Baglung first. If I do use them, I will not breed further until I test the results of the cross. Constant testing is key. I always have several parallel lines (cousins) to experiment with before eventually choosing one to move forward with. I am currently testing the effects of the SAGE-Ified experiment. The Kali Mist outcross was successful and I'll move forward with that branch of the line, but not before using the SAGE-Ified double backed onto the Bangi Haze experimental cross, which was very successful. I love SAGE. I may outcross wildly, but I'm actually very cautious. After crossing to the Kali Mist cross, the results will only have about 12.5% of the SAGE in it. Bangi Wicked will be more than 75% of the genes in new leading edge of my line. I've been dallying on that generation for about 5 years now because of the exceptional consistency of good results of that cross. I want to test more SAGE crosses before introducing more of that.

I know it appears to be a jumbled mess of a pollen chucker, and it is. LOL. I like the results. It is custom bred to my head. Hmmm... sounds like a new tag line to my avatar. More than 95% of the time I smoke anyone else's weed, I regret it. I like mine line better. I usually like my failed experiments better than most other people's weed grown in my area. I'll report on the Baglung Nepali, good or bad, by this time next year.

ThaiBliss

Latest posts

Latest posts