What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

elanius

Veteran
yesum, im glad you posted your experience with F13 and Highland Guerrero x Blueberry and i agree, the trip can be found even with such short flowering mostly sativa as F13. The reason behind this is the B130 male (Blueberry Sativa - thai pheno), this male was really special and it fathered both F13 and HMxBB. From the HMxBB plants i grew, only one of the phenos were trip weed, and it was BB dominant. I remember the high very clearly to this day. The first part of the high was like cocaine and then just a profound trippy experience, long lasting and devastating for unseasoned smokers. The rest phenotypes of HMxBB were great sativa high with all around effect, that was very...satisfying and well rounded. But this pheno #3, it was something else entirely. I gave the cut to my friend, as he is a seasoned smoker and i was curious about his opinion. I also told him it is strong, smoke with caution. He loaded a pipe and long story short, he was hiding in the corn field for 2 hours, scared to be found by his wife. :biggrin:

I have made F2 from this pheno of HMxBB and going to try few this year, just curious whats in there.
picture.php

Rio

I have passed out of herb a number of times. She's got both powers and limits. I know I just haven't reached the ceiling this time :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I bet I have made comments on pictures of plants over a hundred times by saying I see Thai in that plant, that plant looks like Thai, or something to that effect. I'm obsessed with Thai plants because of the high from smoking Thai Sticks and on occasion loose pack Thai, possibly from a brick. Thai is even in my online identity, ThaiBliss. I have grown Thai seeds a number of times, mostly unsuccessfully. I have grown Thai successfully on my first HID lamp grow. It was really strong, excellent weed but not quite the same electric and intense effect. I only got the full on Thai Stick effect from that Neville's Haze freak pheno. All this is to say that I have seen Thai plants many times straight from seeds found in the Thai Sticks themselves. Some pictures of plants that are grown from seeds that Cannabis seed companies sell as Thai sometimes look a lot like Thai plants I have grown.

This is the first time in 30 years I've seen a plant that looks like it IS Thai. That plant is Laos:
picture.php

picture.php

I'm a bit worried. It has been raining a lot the last few days. We got over 4 inches. The official start of the dry season is April 1st. We have more rain than average for the entire dry season, 6 months long, in the first week of the dry season. I see mold growing on the top of the soil that the seedlings are growing in. We need some sun to dry out the soil and kill that mold.
:badday:

ThaiBliss

Last edited:

Breadwizard

Here's a pic of the thinnest leaf specimen from my zamaldelica plants, 'd' she's (wistful thinking) plugging along, already begun training (manifold style). How much do these stretch? I'm guessing 3-4x?
picture.php

Edit: the lower right plant is a seedsman Jack herrer (o haze x "red skunk") that will replace my multi-grafted mother plant in the upper right that's getting long in the tooth.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here's a pic of the thinnest leaf specimen from my zamaldelica plants, 'd' she's (wistful thinking) plugging along, already begun training (manifold style). How much do these stretch?
Hi Breadwizard,

Looking nice, healthy also.

I don't know how much it will stretch except my impression from the first batch I grew it was less than your normal pure sativa. They were relatively easy to grow.

T.B.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here is one of my more interesting looking Zamaldelicas:
picture.php

Gypsy Thai Stick cross:
picture.php

Fett's 303 is healthy and smelling nice with it's lemongrass and basil aromas:
picture.php

Last, but not least, Laos, possibly famed golden Thai, certainly beautifully golden in either case:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

therevverend

Veteran
This is the first time in 30 years I've seen a plant that looks like it IS Thai.

I'm curious what the markers are. I'm guessing the 'alligator' type serrations on the leaves? I know with a seedling there isn't a lot to describe, it's an experience thing. I've been drenched for the last couple weeks as well, it's a typical NW April. My rainy season doesn't end for at least another month. The temperature is getting up to 65 degrees F soon and that makes all the difference. Highs of 55 degrees don't do much for me.

I don't have fungus growing on my soil but I've got some green algae, fungus would be the next step. Rain in the forecast, shuttled a bunch of plants indoors last night to let them dry out, got the rest partially covered so they won't get too wet.

I was thinking about your high CBG strain, I wonder if there's an interest? You'd think a medical type person would be interested in a strain that tests as high as yours. Might be a good question for Sam the Skunkman. I wouldn't give him any for free though..

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Last, but not least, Laos, possibly famed golden Thai, certainly beautifully golden in either case:
View Image

Reminds me a lot of the Lao I grew, sharp features, light green color, something I find very appealing

It seems the 303 has made a comeback somehow, I remember drooling after those back in OG times. Pls make seed with something of similar calibre! Are you going to finish those tropicals in a greenhouse?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thule - Nice looking plant. Would you consider the Laos you grew similar caliber? I'm going to attempt to finish the 303 in a greenhouse. My goal is seed from my trip weed line. I'm not sure I can get it to finish well enough test it properly. I suspect the true test is when I cross it to something early enough to finish outside in my climate. I will certainly keep a cutting for backcrossing and/or crossing with something similar enough to preserve the 303 line. Aren't you an extreme northern grower? Can you suggest something of high caliber that finishes very early?

Reverend - Yes, at this point it is mostly the serration shapes. See Thule's picture as another great example of the Thai / S.E. Asian morphology. Later, it will be the bamboo like structure from extreme internode length and upright structure.

Dave - Here is the history of the genetics as I remember them:

50% Gypsy Thai - This is from a cutting that Kangativa saved as the best and most potent from at least several packs of Gypsy Thai Stick seeds. He raved about that cut and what could be found in those seeds. I think it was one of the longest ripening ones, to the chagrin of subtropical growers.

50% Mullumbimby Madness x Neville's Haze male - This seemed to be about the time of the "Neville's Grail Project". I suspect this was a cast off from those experiments. The person who shared these with me seems to be a fond caretaker of Mullumbimby Madness, and crosses it to everything of high repute.

What a coincidence! Beanz just posted a picture of what are probably the same seed batch:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8551140&postcount=5196

I guess it is the Neville's Haze 21 male that was crossed to Mullumbimby Madness.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
These sucka's, Laos and Gypsy Thais, are out of control. The tallest one has internode length of about 4 3/4 inches! In a month they'll be piercing my greenhouse roof. I swear a plant tripped me as I was walking out (trip weed) of the greenhouse. I think it was a female just flirting with me.
picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Thule - Nice looking plant. Would you consider the Laos you grew similar caliber? I'm going to attempt to finish the 303 in a greenhouse. My goal is seed from my trip weed line. I'm not sure I can get it to finish well enough test it properly. I suspect the true test is when I cross it to something early enough to finish outside in my climate. I will certainly keep a cutting for backcrossing and/or crossing with something similar enough to preserve the 303 line. Aren't you an extreme northern grower? Can you suggest something of high caliber that finishes very early?

The Lao came to an abrupt end so I can't tell how potent it was. Pity, since it was my favourite plant at the time. To me it's rarely about potency anyway, I do grow quite north thus early maturation time comes before anything else. I couldn't recommend any certain strain for your much longer season. Nepal, Thyphoon, Leb and others are grown to some extent, these are high yielding landrace based strains but potency can be a hit or miss..

Now people have crossed those strains with their favourite indoor and autoflower stuff and the strains are close to indoor in potency. Remember we get a lot more lumens per day here than the tropics.. There are potent high yielding private strains in circulation, all would have the earliness gene locked in but expect a mish mash of expressions! I myself prefer the single origin strains to play around with. There's a Nepalese strain for example that finishes far north, I've used it to cross with later flowering sativas and I think it's paying off.

Not my video but this is what those Nepalese look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6DXEEqpsc

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thule - Thanks. Nice video. I'm growing a Baglung Nepali right now. I've also have used Bangi Haze with Nepalese in it to make strains ripen earlier. Searching for a good Durban Poison also. Thanks for your posts.

My apologies to you. That is at least twice I misremembered the latitude that you grow at. I'm sorry.

Happy 420 All,

ThaiBliss

gorilla ganja

Ace has Purple satellite a 1979 Oaxacan gold purple IBL x Nepalese Sativa, from Green mountain seeds. Supposed to be 100% sativa that will flower with 15 hr days.

Don't know if it has the head trip your looking for ThaiBliss but may be a candidate for early flowering. Starting to see a trend with Nepalese strains like you mentioned.

I just got me a pack of supposed land race Nepalese as well as a pack of the purple Satellite hoping for some early plants that can finish at 55 north.

Peace GG

F

Fermented

I see mold growing on the top of the soil that the seedlings are growing in. We need some sun to dry out the soil and kill that mold.

You need to remove the molding fertilizer pellets or loose manures and stir up and lossen the surface of the soil and it will be ok. Use well composted, natural ferts for best results.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I see mold growing on the top of the soil that the seedlings are growing in. We need some sun to dry out the soil and kill that mold.

You need to remove the molding fertilizer pellets or loose manures and stir up and lossen the surface of the soil and it will be ok. Use well composted, natural ferts for best results.
Good advice.

I was looking for some steam sterilized organic soil for starting the seeds. I was recommended the soil I used for seedlings. It wasn't steam sterilized, but I was told a lot of people use it for starting Cannabis seeds because of the lack of strong amendments, like some of the other soils they sell for older plants. This soil was new to me. In years past, I used a mix of pearlite and peat, then as they get a few weeks old, put them in a hotter and chunkier soil mix that I have been using with great results over the past few years. I'm not sure this would have been a problem if it had not been raining for weeks at a time just as I planted.

The weather recently has been getting to be more normal for this time of year, so I hope this helps.

ThaiBliss

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey tb ,
heres a shot of the top of the laos ,
still sometime to go ,
but the buds are developing nicely ,

being in the green house out of the weather ill leave her as long as im able ,
then a cure will be in order i suspect...

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
hey tb ,
heres a shot of the top of the laos ,
still sometime to go ,
but the buds are developing nicely ,

being in the green house out of the weather ill leave her as long as im able ,
then a cure will be in order i suspect...
Wow! Nice job. Best wishes for a nice finish.
:tiphat:
Thanks for posting that here.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

My plants are recovering, hopefully, from the fungus gnat onslaught. I gave it right back to them by applying a million body snatching nematodes. It is nice greenhouse weather, in the low 70s with a breeze. The breeze allows me to keep the greenhouse in the mid to upper 80s with both ends wide open.

This is, at the moment, my favorite Zamaldelica out of 12. If I'm not mistaken, it is leaning towards the Zamal and Thai side of the gene pool. I think this because of the way that the leaflets on the newer leaves look like they are trying to get as far apart from each other as possible. I'd prefer to have an expression just like what Yoss33 grew, but this one looks pretty nice:
picture.php

I see a bit of the leaflet big personal space on the Fett's 303. Notice the third set with 5 leaflets. The newer leaf has that long middle finger leaflet look I've seen on other Thai and pictures of Fett's 303:
picture.php

I'd post more pictures, but I'm embarrassed of all the deformed leaves from the gnat attack. I will comment on one of the Gypsy Thai Stick x Mullumbimby Madness x Neville's Haze 21. The strongest smelling one has the cat piss aroma. Could it be that aroma comes from an equal balance of limonene and Pinene? Those are my 2 favorite terpenes based on my association with the effect it might have on my high.

I grew one of these Gypsy cross seeds indoors, and it didn't have the cat piss. It was orange marmalade and incense. I was disappointed in it, but it was an extreme experiment where I tried to keep flowering it until it would stop throwing fresh pistils. It never did, even with extremely low fertilizer and 11/13 light cycle. I gave up after 9 months of flowering. The high was surprisingly pleasant and good quality for how late I let it go, but lacked the trippy and electric fire I'm searching for.

I have to get with Dave Collier and ask him if he experienced any cat piss phenos in pure Gypsy Thai Stick, and how it compared to the others he has grown. I know he likes growing it and has a good deal of experience growing it well indoors.

ThaiBliss

Latest posts

Latest posts