What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
More Seedlings...

Fett's 303:
picture.php

Somewhere along the line doubt crept into whether this seedling is Fett's 303. The seed container had a label that read "Fett's 303?" I'm don't remember how it happened. Here are some pictures from Gert Lush that I'm hoping this seedling will look like:
picture.php

picture.php

From someone named "Longshot". This looks very much like the leaves from the Thai Sick seeds I tried to grow as a youngster:
17078303_male_leaf2-med.jpg

These are some quotes from the "303 -papua new guinea gold" thread about the high:

"For those that have not tried 303....

...You are missing out, and should! this plant exhibits traits, similar to the likes of : Thai sativa's of the late 70's, Colombian Gold sativa, Malawi Gold, etc...Only these babies grow out easier/flower sooner!! Very sativa dom, some will branch heavily and grow out bush style..
But the bud production is no slouch on this sat. even indoors....
the ones kept in smaller containers, kept a huge dominate cola, with side branching / stretch kept to a minimum(due to small containers) and still produced a nice amount, of resin laden buds..reminiscant of the above flavours I mentioned..the high is truly exhilerating, slightly deliberating if you smoke too much Very nice strain to have in your garden....very easy to grow/clone, very forgiving indoors, if you arent a true sativa expert, still wont matter as it handles with ease... just my 2 cents
Thanks to Fet for bringing this to us..as without him, this strain may have vanished, or stayed only in his local circles....
have a good day...peace, Rushman"

"Its some of the wildest mostest potent weed I have ever smoked in my life and that includes the shit we smoked in Nam. Well, I guess thats because 303 is part viet combo. But hell ya man, I have. I can tell you this for sure. A friend brought some by one day that he had harvested. He was going on about how potent it was and I was like yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, he rolled a normal sized doobie, not one of those big fat ones but the size of a regular joint. He lit it and passed it to me. I took one hit, and even BEFORE I got the chance to inhale, I was totally fucking wasted. Thats one hit, just in my mouth. Well, when I did inhale, I found I could not even take another hit. The guy looked at me and said "now blow" so I blew the smoke out. But its the reason I could not take a second hit. I forgot to exhale the first one. What did I learn from this? NEVER and I mean NEVER smoke 303 by yourself. If there is not someone there to remind you to breath, you may not. "

"its not for lightweights or beginners "

"I smoke one hell of a lot of pot these days. Not a day goes by that I dont get just fucked up. BUT when I tried this 303, man o' man. I could just not believe it. Guess I could have been used to something like Jack Herer and Ak47 because thats what I smoke most often, that and WHite Widow but this 303 strain has to be experianced to be believed."

"yes they ****ing do go huge....these are big uns....but theys be the SHIT!....the 303 is some killer ****ing weed, hands down....soooo tasty....but long as hell, definitely sativa in nature...some of the best pot i have smoked ever....good luck with making seeds...aloha!"

LOL Sounds like Thai Stick to me.

Here is a quote about the lineage of Zoidfuel, from Moonunit, which if I understand correctly is Fett's 303. It is possible that this is simply another strain with Papua New Guinea Gold in it. It was not explicitly clear to me, but it would explain the shortened ripening time:

((old aussie sat(sourced here) x chinese indica (sourced here in oz)) crossed to ((old aussie sat( same line) x png gold( brought back for me from png))

Edit: This lineage above is Zoidfuel, not Fett's 303. I reread the thread and I quote Monkey5 here: "I do not know the complete breeding back ground of this strain but i have been told it consists of what flooded this land back in the early 70s the all great PNG Gold and various Hawaiian/ Fuji strains." I'd add that the 70s is when Thai Stick became widespread.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I usually wait until I am smoking a cured sample to cull plants.

I am curious about how you have the confidence to begin selection so early?
In general, your plan to smoke test is best, without a doubt. However, I have read about Zamaldelica extensively, and there seems to be consistency about the high from the Thai looking ones which are the type of high I'm looking for. I've have a lot of experience smoking Thai Stick, and also have grown Thai a number of times and I know what they look like. Thai Stick looks, smell, and high are seared into my brain. I'm counting on the smoke reports I'm reading about. I also grew one Zamaldelica that didn't look as Thai leaning as others I've seen, and it was STRONG, but the high wasn't as clear and energetic as I like, which matches reports of what the Malawi looking ones are like.

I usually grow three times the number of seedlings that I need females of, to allow for the culling of males and seedling mortality. This year I got good germination rates, and I have, so far, successfully prevented dampening off and slug attack mortality.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Other Seedlings growing with significant Thai heritage...

Gypsy Thai x Mullumbimby Madness x Neville's Haze:
picture.php

Laos:
picture.php

SAGE-ified Bangi Wicked Weed:
picture.php

Best,

ThaiBliss

romanoweed

to thaibliss are you shure vietnamese combo from canadian hemp is 303 x vietnam b. ? Eventually its just vietblack inreed.. Thats what i thought. But you eventually know.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
to thaibliss are you shure vietnamese combo from canadian hemp is 303 x vietnam b. ? Eventually its just vietblack inreed.. Thats what i thought. But you eventually know.
I know nothing about that, and I didn't interpret it that way. Frankly, I ignored that part of the quote. It was just part of a larger quote about the high, so I didn't want to cut it off. Interesting though that there was a reference to it. Have you ever tried Vietnamese Combo? If so, I'd love to hear a smoke report.

romanoweed

all i know spice brothers was havingthe 303 (recall right?), and i know they had the viet b. . So its very realistic that the vietcombo is 303 crosed to viet b. somehow. It is also realistic that its viet b x viet b. , just inbreed.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
viet combo from spice brothers should be vietnamese x vietnamese black :D no 303 in it.. I have asian beauty from Huesos(many many thanks!) which should be black vietnamese x lieu hanh(vietnamese black x neville´s haze) :D I bet its trippy as hell.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
good to see everyones fresh exotica getting started.

Hi Low,
Is that a low level of CBD for concentrates? If it is, and it seems really low, it is a theme of what I like in my selections.
...ThaiBliss
unless it's filled with a cbd-focused strain, these cartridges seem to run from 0 to 2% cbd.
within that range, energy/stone effects seem to be more terpenes-based...
i.e., i've had stony low-cbd cartridges (e.g., [email protected]%cbd) and energetic higher-cbd carts.
still, in my experience, vaping flower delivers the cleanest, most energetic/psychoactive effects (thc% be damned).

[edit: also cracking some nepalJam seeds, to find selections to do a "backcross plus" to the blue mtn. jam-leaning double jam]
only working with 4 cuts this season... re-vegged keepers from last fall's harvest:
-(cbg) durban- effects are green haze-like... clean energy/euphoria.
aromas: an oily "carrotwood" citric pungence, onion, gunpowder, sweet tobacco.
-double jam- the most up-lifting/happy thing i've ever vaped. it has very little energy, but lots of joy.
i think it's a blue mtn. jam-leaner, and may contain the effect nepal jam was going for, w/in its faster-flowering format.

the re-veg'd girls were put under window light in the attic, and the short days triggered flowering.
the faster-flowering durban, right, is a little more developed than the dubJam, left.
notice the difference in internode length between the dubJam and the durban...
the durban's INL spacing/style (and accentuated leaf serations) reminds me of some zamaldelica phenos.

ever-longer daylights are reverting these girls back to vegging, and clones'll be taken.

the other 2 cuts i'm working with are:
-compact fast-finishing energetic/euphoric purple OThaze
(very different to the introspection of most purples, and done ~16wks)
-classic long-flowering green OThaze.

going to work with feminizing, and make S1s, and crosses between, the four cuts above.

cheers

PS lost gloomslayer (#1) and the SAGE selection, among other things, to spider mites last fall.

burmese

Viet Combo Vietnamese x Vietanamese Black

Offspring of this cross has produced a range of outcomes from the trippiest to soaring highs while others can bring on paranoia, racing heart beat and hallucinations for those not used to it. Generally speaking Viet combo's most early finishing phenos are around 10+ weeks, which is the fastest pheno I've found to date. A large majority will finish around the 12 -14 weeks while the rare odd freak will try and push past the 15 week but what an awesome racing head high these have known to produce. A few to many hits from one of these wonders I found myself staggering around like a drunken sailor with no control over my body. Not for light weight smokers and recommended for only experienced growers if attempted indoors. For indoor grows I highly recommend flowering direct from seed and provide ample light to achieve maximum results. A good curing period is essential for a quality smoking session.

harvestreaper

Veteran
Viet Combo Vietnamese x Vietanamese Black

Offspring of this cross has produced a range of outcomes from the trippiest to soaring highs while others can bring on paranoia, racing heart beat and hallucinations for those not used to it. Generally speaking Viet combo's most early finishing phenos are around 10+ weeks, which is the fastest pheno I've found to date. A large majority will finish around the 12 -14 weeks while the rare odd freak will try and push past the 15 week but what an awesome racing head high these have known to produce. A few to many hits from one of these wonders I found myself staggering around like a drunken sailor with no control over my body. Not for light weight smokers and recommended for only experienced growers if attempted indoors. For indoor grows I highly recommend flowering direct from seed and provide ample light to achieve maximum results. A good curing period is essential for a quality smoking session.
that sounds terrific i searched that write up an it took me to a canadian company selling seeds of the strain,,i then found a thread here with a post saying the seed sellers a fake anyone know the truth of it ??

romanoweed

to Harvestreaper i dont know the truth but i googled this already, and everything said to me (it was multiple sources, 3 different forums and on one site there was a whole list ) stay away.. i still dont wanna claim to know, i didnt try, google it yourselve, but it sounds like they are selling birdfood under the name of great names. Besides, there is a Website where you can find Seedbankreviews, on one site alone.. whole list of reviews.. good

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
So what is the consensus regarding indoor vs outdoor in growing potent trip weed? Are uv-a and uv-b relevant? The same cut grown indoors vs outdoors, is there big a difference?

Call it instinct or superstition, but I want to give even the indoor stuff a touch of real sun at the end of flowering, be it on a balcony or behind glass. I just feel I'm not giving them a 100% without it. Glass blocks most uv-b, but not uv-a but there might be other factors. I doubt you could get all the benefits using just a uv-a light bulb to supplement your indoor lighting but it might still be beneficial. Just a feeling. What do you guys think?

Interesting strains btw Thaibliss! The Lao and Cambodian especially piqued my interest. Any background on those?

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
So what is the consensus regarding indoor vs outdoor in growing potent trip weed? Are uv-a and uv-b relevant? The same cut grown indoors vs outdoors, is there big a difference?
last fall, for the first time ever, i flowered my plants in the attic under skylights.
they rx'ed around 4-6hrs of direct sun daily, with the rest of the time in bright room conditions (while the sun was up).
with the skylights absolute pitch black night conditions were never achieved-
the city's metro glow lightly lit the room at night.

the green and purple oldtimers hazes (1 each) were previously flowered for their
first time the previous fall, under (adjustable) 1K hps (w/eyehortilux superhps bulb).
i re-vegged their stumps and flowered 'em under the skylights last fall...

edit: oops, forgot i had this pic.
of the grn OT haze under one of the skylights, last mid-nov.

end edit

the difference in the highs was remarkable.
under skylights the hazes were "hybrid strong", but without the muddiness of hybrids.
under the 1Khps, there was less intensity and euphoria, and more tending to hazy daziness, esp. after harvest.
the weed grown under skylights was ready to deliver excellent results just a couple of weeks after harvest;
as soon as it was properly dry enough really. the hps kaya needed a good cure much more.

these are the results i got using the exact same plants, under different light sources.
results may differ with other strains. these (pure) equatorials may have the more pronounced differences.
sunny may light up their terpene spectrum to their fuller, more complete/natural extent.
still have those cuts and'll be doing some breeding work with 'em soon.
re: the not absolute dark night environment- the only plants to throw a 'nana were a couple of the double jams,
right at the very end of flower (i.e., to be expected).

the skylights are double-pane glass, but whatever they were filtering out didn't seem to hurt what i harvested.

PS under the skylights was where i fought the spider mite war- good gravy, they loved that environment up there. :(

romanoweed

I heard you can use many different lamp-types , or models, CAUSE if you only use one, you got a very unflat frequency/color spectrum. there are many spikes/colors wich are much stronger shining.. For me its actually very easy to imagine that indoor is just a bader copy of Nature... atleast regarding light. So if you combine multiple diffrent types you flaten out the spectrum, so you could actually come closer to nature. But consider at equator the OVERAL lightintensity is stronger.. not a certain spikes, and cause many of tripweeed-genetics are around equator, you may be better off with indoor if you life at north.. There is a lamp wich shines lik natural light, but costs 100 thousands .. I think its to expensive, and you can see it with your eyes, if it is turned on in a complete dark room, it looks like midsummer at noon.. So i dont know if its important to have a flat frequeny Response, but since cannabis loves sun, i would check this parameter at first.. And like already researched there seems not to be an extra amount of uv at equator, atleat i didnt read this... it could only be that plats react only to uv-frequency, and therefore this is the only frequency you need to care of, but i doubt it.. If plant react also to red differently, wich is on the other side of Lightspectrum it looks rather that they react to full spectrum.. most species, humans, animals , plants react to the same frequencys like us, humans.. There are only rare eceptions sometimes in insects per example bees can see above, or below our spectrum, but this is rare..

spectrum of
sunlight:
picture.php

metal halyde:
picture.php

hps:
picture.php

I dont know all the lamps, but this is an example of some.. all are not flat in spectrum, thats why combining should help to flaten out. And im not anti-indoor..

And for the freaks the natural sunlight lamp for 100 thousands is from a company called coelux. just google if like

Last edited:

romanoweed

yes, i found one lamp that has a very flat response troughout the spectrum.
lep lamps , light edmitting plasama lamp.. this should be close enough
Its just more epensive..

lep on the left side:

picture.php

romanoweed

at lowfalutin did you grow under skylights with aditional indoorlamps or was it only skylight(sunlight) ? and wich latitude was that cause question of sun intensity?

therevverend

Veteran

I don't have anything scientific for you and I'm an outdoor grower which tells you something about my preferences. I'm sure we've both seen strains that can't express their full potential indoors and vice versa. It seems strange to me that a human invention, indoor lighting, can bring out something special in a plant that has always lived dependent on the sun but it's a strange world. We can debate about what a plant's natural habitat is, maybe most outdoor locales are missing something essential and indoor conditions somehow come closer to reproducing it. I think that's unlikely but it's possible.

There's anti-indoor and anti-outdoor sentiment which I understand but disagree with. Western Washington is comparable to Amsterdam as far as being the center of the indoor lighting boom and the revolution it started, for good and for bad. I've had to deal with a huge amount of prejudice against outdoor, many people won't even look at it. Many of those same people also profess to be Sativa lovers which is a contradiction. I'm amazed by the skill and patience shown by the growers around here who can grow tropical strains successfully indoors. Of course this isn't what these newly converted Sativa lovers are talking about, they're indoor grown 'Sativa dominate' hybrids. Tangie and Sour Diesel for example. They'd have a heart attack if they had to smoke a real tropical grown narrow leaf variety. It's LEAFY! Too much for their snooty connoisseur lungs to handle.

I used to have an old grow book from the mid-70s, introducing cannabis growers to indoor lighting. I wish I still had it, disappeared either borrowed or lost. It showed how indoor growing worked with pictures of a garage indoor set up with huge 8 foot tall thin leaf tropical plants filling a garage. The brand new halides were stuck up on the ceiling 10 feet up! The only Indica was in the very last page of the book, a squat odd looking thing. And a bit about how it could be especially useful for indoor growing. Little did they know?

Most of the bud shots were leafy monstrosities but there was one that impressed. It was an old school Hawaiian. Huge cola with beautiful gold and amber colors. Those old time Hawaiians must have been something else. Another example of prohibition destroying something special. You can't grow plants like that with all the damn helicopters. I've got a Hawaiian friend who's grandma and uncle were old time growers. He's almost 50 now, he says there's a picture of him when he was 4 climbing in a plant like it was a jungle gym.

harvestreaper

Veteran

Call it instinct or superstition, but I want to give even the indoor stuff a touch of real sun at the end of flowering, be it on a balcony or behind glass. I just feel I'm not giving them a 100% without it. Glass blocks most uv-b, but not uv-a but there might be other factors. I doubt you could get all the benefits using just a uv-a light bulb to supplement your indoor lighting but it might still be beneficial. Just a feeling. What do you guys think?

Interesting strains btw Thaibliss! The Lao and Cambodian especially piqued my interest. Any background on those?
dont know any of the science but for me the same cut seems to have a longer lasting effect when grown under the sun

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
at lowfalutin did you grow under skylights with aditional indoorlamps or was it only skylight(sunlight) ? and wich latitude was that cause question of sun intensity?
R- no additional lighting was used while in the skylight-lit attic room.
latitude here is 45.5° N (downtown portland).
temps were quite a bit lower, esp. in late-flowering, in the attic than in the hps-lit walk-in closet: low 60Fs vs low 70Fs.

cheers