What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let the Nanan Bouclou sit in a jar for a bit. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but also smoked double what I had before. Which is to say maybe 3 good hits.

Got wasted this time. Damn intense but not noidy. Still you gotta hold on to something.:dance013: It does not play. The kind of high where you are somewhat glad when it starts to fade.

Not sure which side mine favors but being so speedy I would guess PNG. Took it with no amber resin and many white pistils too so I am sure that helped.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Nanan Bouclou:

Shared some with a friend. He is always offering smoke to me, and I turn him down most times. Frankly, I'm afraid of smoking other people's bud. I don't trust anyone. People are loading their plants up with fertilizer which increases chlorophyll and attracts mites. Then they spray something to kill the mites, and on and on with a cycle of intervening with the more natural growth of a plant. Even people that use compost tea to kill pests by spraying it on buds alarms me. Good grief! I use compost tea for watering/fertilizing the soil, but I don't spray my buds with anything. NEVER!

The times I have smoked with him, the bud was strong but kind of foggy in the high. His bud was not the hated couch-lock, but I felt I was in a stupor. I just don't like 90% of the strains that are popular.

So anyway, I gave him a bag of Nanan Bouclou that has been curing for a year. I also gave him some of last year's Miss Universe. Most people love that one. It is cerebral, but has a little stone to it that people recognize as "potency". I was afraid he wouldn't recognize the power of the Nanan Bouclou type of high. I was wrong. He smoked some and started texting me repeatedly, raving about the how good it is. I suggested we talk in person next time we get together, but he could not help his effusive praise. He has an energetic personality, but I think I could recognize the frenetic behavior that comes out when smoking the Nanan Bouclou. The next day I asked if he tried the Miss Universe and he did. He liked it but he went back to praising Nanan Bouclou. He kept asking if I really grew that stuff. I'm thinking he thought I was wimpy about his strong weed and couldn't believe I was growing and smoking something that is strong in it's own way.

I suspect it helps that Nanan Bouclou tastes so good. I had given him some Bangi Wicked, and he didn't rave about it. I had to ask him what he thought about it, and he said he liked it, but didn't say anything else. I like the high of Bangi Wicked very much. I think the taste is significantly below average. The cut of Nanan Bouclou that I bred has taste that is nothing less than world class, ganja or hash plants. To be fair, my friend mentioned it being "dank" once and mentioned it first, but then proceeded to talk about the high the rest of the time.

It feels good that most of the seeds I made this year have genetics that are 50% Nanan Bouclou, 25% Bangi Wicked, and 25% SAGE. SAGE smells much better than Nanan Bouclou, IMO, and is one of the best smelling plants I have ever grown. I have had, on occasion, trippier experiences on SAGE compared to Nanan Bouclou. SAGE is good always, but some grows/cures are special. The high is also noticeably affected by mood and environment. This is going to be one heck of a blend.

ThaiBliss

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
High hopes for these:

Zamaldelica:
picture.php

Has developed a chemical/solvant/perfumey overtone that wasn't this obvious when I grew her indoors (this is a revegged plant).

Panama Haze:
picture.php

What a beautiful plant... has a very bold redfruity/musk aroma, along with a enjoyable, fruity catpiss overtone (hazey, yeah!!) strong Oldest School Colombian influence (Panama Goddess x Purple Haze #23 according to dubi)

Honduras:
This plant is seeded, but has reflowered, and how... again more colombian influence!:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Repuk - Those look delicious. Hopefully, you will post repeated smoke reports on these as they cure. Wouldn't mind reading about how they smoked last year on the re-vegged ones.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Promised :tiphat:

I'm curious, how do seeding change the high or character of a plant? What are your experiences regarding that?

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
holas. crazy nice plants/pics you all have been sharing.
been enjoying some samples from my first-ever fully sun-flowered harvest.
(saving $100-120/mo on electricity)
here's my pure green OT haze keeper girl in the sunny
attic room where the flowering was done this time...

...under an angled skylight. she's got ~month left to go.

the double jams are down. some phenos are nice n' irie,
and some are trippy jittery over-focused over-thinkers.
woody and spice rack aromas are prevailing...

got 15 DJ seeds left, and want to hit a cut of the green
OT haze girl above with some pollen from them eventually.

and the VietBlkThai x NepalJam crosses resulted in some
tasty and strongly sativa energized phenos (which i wasn't
expecting). the woody citrus/lemon, meao thai-leaning pheno...

easygoing and non-jittery sativa energy and euphoric high on her so far.
i've only tested two of the 4 phenos of this cross, and both were
stonger (esp. in clear sativa energy) than either of the parental plants.
different kind of sativa high from these girls compared to hazes or double jams...
no jitter or over-thinking.

still have the (cbg) durban left to try.

cheers

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Promised :tiphat:

I'm curious, how do seeding change the high or character of a plant? What are your experiences regarding that?
When I was a kid, most weed had seeds and some had a lot of seeds. I yearn for those buds and seeds from back then. I did testing of strains last year from buds that I had seeded. I still got a range of differing character and potency of the despite smoking samples from seeded buds. In my opinion, seeding the buds affects the quality a lot less than most people seem to infer. Of course, I'd want my smoking stash to be without seeds for convenience sake. You sure don't want to smoke seeds. Better to grow them or eat them. :biggrin:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Low,

Thanks for the smoke reports and pictures. You seem to be like me. I don't let my best line go. If I find something better, I just cross it to my long held line.

I have heard Dubi describe the Vietnam Black high as expansive, which I take as a good thing.

It's been too long. We need to meet up and share our best smoke with each other. In the meantime, happy holidays to you.

T.B.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I checked my plants today. They look really bad. I last harvested a couple of days after what I think was the hardest frost this year. Those drying buds look good. It has been lightly frosting daily since then. The buds outside did not take it well. It almost seems that daily frost is worse than one pretty hard frost. This is a new experience for me. I don't think harvesting any more buds are worth the effort.

I'm posting a couple of pictures that are pretty ugly. I haven't seen anyone do this that I can remember, so I'm posting for informational purposes. I left a lot of bud on the stem rotting this year, but I still harvested enough to last me and to give out plenty of samples to friends for gifts and testing. Repuk's recent beautiful pictures are keeping my spirits high. :)

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I was a kid, most weed had seeds and some had a lot of seeds. I yearn for those buds and seeds from back then. I did testing of strains last year from buds that I had seeded. I still got a range of differing character and potency of the despite smoking samples from seeded buds. In my opinion, seeding the buds affects the quality a lot less than most people seem to infer. Of course, I'd want my smoking stash to be without seeds for convenience sake. You sure don't want to smoke seeds. Better to grow them or eat them. :biggrin:

Everything was seeded to high heaven back then. My car seats were full of holes from seeds popping in the joint like mini firecrackers. Like the majority of old timers, I wish I had kept some of those seeds :(

I was told that seeded bud losing potency was a myth. Now I believe it. I had a couple seed runs this year and after extracting the seeds, I put 5lbs of the un-seeded flower in JCones. Sure, some trichomes were lost in the process, but damn... not a whole lot because people bought it all after sampling it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now is the smoke/high different? I don't know. I'll have to test that next season.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I always thought the potency was not effected until a certain percentage the plants energy goes to making seeds. Then potency goes down.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm not a botanist, but if any thing, I would think the plant would go into high gear and produce the most it can. That would be bigger buds and *more cannabinoids.

There's got to be something on this from a reputable source on the internet.

igrowone

Veteran
I always thought the potency was not effected until a certain percentage the plants energy goes to making seeds. Then potency goes down.
from my own small experiments
i would say potency changes, not necessarily lower, i'd call it different
the quantity of drug material after seed removal is a lot lower, very light on the weight
thinking this varies over plants/cultivars

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
from my own small experiments
i would say potency changes, not necessarily lower, i'd call it different
the quantity of drug material after seed removal is a lot lower, very light on the weight
thinking this varies over plants/cultivars

Thinking back, seeded plants had less flower material. Unseeded plants had buds the size of baseballs. Same strain/seed batch.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
The few times I have made seeds I waited until flowers were mostly formed but still plenty of white hairs. Makes it easy to remove most of them while trimming and leaves you with plenty of good smoke.

Anytime I have smoked extremely seedy weed it has been weak. But I have never done any side by side experiments with same mom and dad.

I would think sam s knows a little on the subject.

therevverend

Veteran
In my experience seeded buds are less potent and don't have the same terpene levels. From experiments done with plants where I've seeded limbs on otherwise sinsemilla plants. But there is a lot of variation depending on how heavily seeded the limbs are and how mature the seeds are.

A bud that's solid seed, every pistil fertilized and every bract swollen into a big brown mature seed is quite a bit less potent and aromatic then a sensi branch right next to it. If the seeds are less mature and there's less seeds it's far less noticeable. And if there's only a couple mature seeds in the bud you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The size of the bud is also noticeably diminished. Seeded buds get heavy from the seed weight and the swollen bracts. It's still not comparable to a sensi limb that's fully matured without seeds, the flower producing layer after layer of resin and hairs begging for male pollen.

The main factor I'm thinking is the delayed senescence. Once a bud is fertilized it's job is to produce the finished matured seed. Once that happens it decays and molds so the seed will fall to the ground. Many times I've seen seeded limbs with dried out molding calyxes around each mature seed. This year I was picking mature seeds out of literal balls of grey goop that used to be flowers.

Meanwhile the seedless limb doesn't want to go into senescence it wants to stay active as long as possible. It'll go into further and further stages of terpene and resin production far past what a seeded limb will. Fighting the mold and decay as long as possible.

This is less pronounced in tropical strains. I've noticed branches will mature at different rates, sometimes a mature flower will shoot out a bunch of new white hairs. I don't have a lot of experience with seeded tropical varieties but it makes sense with the long growing season senescence wouldn't advance as quickly as plants grown at northern latitudes.

And of course this is not to say that seeded buds lack potency altogether. I've smoked extremely potent seeded ganja. But side by side, seeded vs unseeded, I'll always prefer the unseeded limb.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'd give plants more credit to be able to do two things at once. That being able to grow and seed at the same time. If it's primary objective is to survive, it makes sense that it would continue to flower. That's exactly what I saw this summer. They're autos and they just kept flowering and flowering up until September when I finally pulled them.

I got 4.5 lbs of flower(no seeds) from 6 plants.

therevverend

Veteran
I'd give plants more credit to be able to do two things at once.

That's an important point here we're not talking about seeded plants turning into garbage. They're still tasty. But usually trumped by sensi from the same strain.

The few times I have made seeds I waited until flowers were mostly formed but still plenty of white hairs. Makes it easy to remove most of them while trimming and leaves you with plenty of good smoke.

I always dry my ganja before removing the seeds. It's a lot easier and there's no risk of tearing the skin. I always do it in a kif box over a screen to save the resin.

I let my seed limbs go as long as I possibly can. This year I pollinated late. Should have let a few limbs go a couple weeks longer. Nothing is more frustrating then finding your seeds are immature. Except for finding that your pollen was no good and didn't make any seeds. Or having the seed limb go to grey mold.

I guess most frustrating of all is when you decide a plant is no good, decide not to pollinate it. Then it goes crazy and turns out to be your best one. This happened with my friend this year, I was practically begging him to pollinate it but he wouldn't listen. At least he got a clone.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Baglung Nepalese have arrived:
picture.php

These seeds are originally from the place where wild Cannabis is cerebral and strong. I read someone's post that said Nepalese Temple Hash is the most cerebral hash they had ever tried. I bought these in the hopes that I find plants that ripen in September here. I also had a cutting once that I thought was Nepalese. It was ripe by September 15th, and was quite good. It was a green pheno. I need the genes that ripen early.

Here is an excellent thread by Bodhiseeds: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=106157

Pictures and descriptions are pasted here are from the thread. Slight variations in strains from the area. Here are some descriptions.

"smooth, tasty, hits hard and surrounds the head like an inflatetable joy helmet."

"spicy mind inspiration, clear, motivational high."

1496815babbas.jpg

1496829.jpg

Lowland Nepalese:
1496847.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The plant in this picture is the spitting image of a phenotype that popped out of Bangi Haze. Here is Bodhi's picture of a Nepal variety:
1496815babbas.jpg

Here is my plant from Bangi Haze seeds:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts