What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

therevverend

Veteran
it is throwing off my concept of Mendelian theory.

Mendel's law and the transfer of genes isn't my strong point, probably like a lot of growers, but I have a rough understanding. Non-Mendelian inheritance is worth reading up on. Non-Mendelian inheritance is a general term that refers to any pattern of inheritance in which traits do not segregate in accordance with Mendel's laws. The gist is that there's a lot of other ways for a plant to inherit genes.

I'd think cannabis with it's adaptability and fast growth would manifest all sorts of different traits when hybridized. Almost all the strains everyone's growing are multi-multi-multi hybrids the amount of combinations possible are headache inducing. Mendel's laws are clean and simple when it's green vs purple I'm thinking there's dozens of traits clashing in modern cannabis strains.

It's a fun time to be a cannabis breeder but also a difficult time because true breeding strains are so rare. Really hard to fix the traits you want with so many different ancestors.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Wow Repuk, that is an amazing picture. Looks like a Colombian.
...Non-Mendelian inheritance is a general term that refers to any pattern of inheritance in which traits do not segregate in accordance with Mendel's laws.
Shows how little I know. I was thinking Mendel was full of it.
Almost all the strains everyone's growing are multi-multi-multi hybrids the amount of combinations possible are headache inducing...
It's a fun time to be a cannabis breeder but also a difficult time because true breeding strains are so rare. Really hard to fix the traits you want with so many different ancestors.
Exactly, but that is what makes it so astounding to me that offspring do seem to want to re-aggregate in ways that look like a pure ancestor. From my limited understanding of breeding principles, I would expect much more diversity, and seeing plants that look like pure ancestors to be extremely rare.

Thanks for your engagement on this topic. Thanks to everyone for all their posts. Keep them coming.
:tiphat:
ThaiBliss

OldCoolSativa

I've experienced trip weed twice. First time was 1974 in South Jersey and it was probably Mexican, but who really knows? My friend had scored about an eighth from his brother and told me it would make us trip, that it had psilocybin mushrooms in it. This didn't make sense to me because shrooms were worth more per ounce than weed, so why would a dealer adulter weed with something more expensive than weed? I remember looking at the weed trying to find chunks of dried mushrooms but it just looked like regular weed to me. I don't remember if it had an unusual smell or taste, and I don't remember it being terribly expensive. I do remember the effect though, and it was full-on hallucinations. We smoked a couple bowls and went to a playground where I laid down on a carousel looking up at the puffy white clouds in the late afternoon sky. My friend started to push me around on the carousel and the clouds started to form faces that were dancing around a circular room. I say Tricky Dick Nixon and Spiro Agnes waving at me, then they morphed into Mickey Mouse and Pluto, then they morphed into the Three Stooges. I never experienced anything like it again until I dropped acid 6 years later in college. It was the best weed I've ever had. I actually remember thinking at the time that I should save seeds from the bag because it was so special.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thaibliss said:
Sorry about the loss of the Kali Mist. Thanks for jazzing me up on hopes that my Kali Mist cross might be good. I liked the KM mom very much, but this looks and smells very different. It's way more like S.E. Asian. I have high hopes!

The traits I remember:

- purple striped
- olivish green hue
- cuts grew with very little fans, trimming was a 1 minute job per cut, being mostly stalks and buds.

Growth was hybrid indica/sativa fashion, buds weren't very big (like small pine cones, tennis balls), 4 per node. No "colas per se" but in the seedling, which was great because buds were dense and rock hard.

Remember watching a "The 20 Dollar Bag of Buds" (scoring in Jamaica), it remembered me a lot of my Kali: Big, bare stalks, with homogeneous sized buds stemming directly from main stem/branch stalks.

Cuts were ready in 9-10 weeks. Rooted (no hormones) in 24hours. Never had a pest. I gave them 3-4 vegging days until they were 15-20cm/8" then flowered them, which ended up being 1,5m/40-45", becoming "donkey dicks", though buds were optimally spaced out.

Remember cramming 12 of them on a 1x1x2m (3x3x6') tent... saw they could have been 16.

Gonna try diving in my backups to see if I find pics of her.

Been thinking on getting a Kali China breeders pack, to search for a similar girl... specially amongst the Elite F3xF4 line, the most sativa leaning.

Growing structure: exactly the same as those old "assembled" plastic xmas trees, 4 sub-braches at 45º versus the main stem on each node.

Ultra short side branching, was a joy for SOG.

Sticky Sat

Hello my friend ! :)

Way to go............ Now i won't be able to stop dreaming about that Kali mist.... ;)
I sure hope you'll find one that come close enough in the KC breeder's pack :)

This Timanfaya is a beast ! I wonder how it would grow with our short tropical days...
Thanks a lot for the interesting links ! :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Kali: Big, bare stalks...
I see that as a Thai/S.E. Asian trait. Most of the ones I have grown have a lot of stem. It reminds me of bamboo. I think you can see that a bit in my last posted pictures.
Gonna try diving in my backups to see if I find pics of her.
I hope you find some pics for us.

OldCoolSativa - Thanks for the trip weed story. When I was a child, there was an argument if Cannabis is a hallucinogen or a narcotic. It turns out, it's both depending on the strain.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks to you Sticky!

Definitelly, there was SE Asian on her. But in a similar chamaleonic way to Thai-Chi for example, it can be sooo whimsical! I saw that SE olive green on my (rather Indica looking) Kali China. Also a mutation on the leaf. I think my KM mom had one too will try to make memory (you know, being a stoner, and being overly traumatic period, you tend to "erase" the hard disk altogether! :biggrin:)

Just realized I lost the mom... and much more things, basically everything, so... no photos apart from one in the forum of a male who looked reaally like her, I didn't upload pictures either during that time (logical).

On a different matter:This thread goes about effects, experiences and our search, I just came across Carl Sagan beautifully written short essay on how he felt, and used it. Had to share as he wonderfully describes the kind of effects I had, or have fully or partially experienced, and seek overall in sativas. which for me, is "the" cannabis: https://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/

Didn't had a clue he was an activist. R.I.P.

Curious on his preferred strains, cause it was clearly cerebral and trippy.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The Kali Mist cross that I like took on a trait from a Burmese plant I used a few generations ago. As the plant matures, a big knot forms at the base of the stem:
picture.php

My Old Wicked Weed x Bangi Wicked is starting to throw off some very nice aromas. It smells like cantaloupe with a touch of mint to it. It reminds me also of a minty orange chewing gum. I like the aromas, but it reminds me of the Nepal Jam in this branch of the lineage. I once found a nice Nepal Jam, but I didn't like the results of the breeding of it with what I already had in Wicked Weed. The aroma is souring me on this plant. It does have the long pistils that make pretty looking sativa leaning buds:
picture.php

Here is a picture of a bud of my Goo x Bangi x Wicked lineage. I did not like the mother plant as much as the Kali Mist. It had significant paranoia and nervous muscle twitching in relation to the potency of the high. Kali Mist was stronger without the edginess. Goo may have had a cleaner high cerebrally than Kali Mist, but the physical edginess is another way for the high to be "dirty". If the this plant does not work out, I'll dispose of the seeds of this. I still have a Goo sister lineage to try. Evaluations take me a long time. Meanwhile, this is a pretty bud:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

This is my male SAGE x Bangi Haze x Wicked Weed hugging Bangi Haze x Wicked Weed and Nanan Bouclou. He is doing his thing, as I'm seeing seeds forming:
picture.php

picture.php

I have a rooting of this male in case it makes good children. I keep the cutting small, and while trimming it back the other day I got a real good whiff. It was a big dose of that SAGE-ish sweet gunpowder/incense aroma. I'm LOVING it!
:yay:
It also seems to be relatively early compared to any of the Kali Mist cross children. Before the crossings with Bangi Wicked Weed, SAGE was significantly later ripening than the Kali Mist cutting I had.
:dance013:
ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Here are the growing SAGE-ified seeds of the future. Crossed (backcrossed) to Bangi Wicked:
picture.php

picture.php

Nanan Bouclou:
picture.php

I am very confident with these crosses. I love the Bangi Haze x Wicked Weed generation. Getting SAGE in there is long overdue. This should reinforce the trippiness.

Nanan Bouclou is on par with the very best selections of Bangi Haze with respect to clarity and energy of the high, but the flavor is far superior. In fact, the taste is far superior to all others except one in my lifetime of growing. The terpenes have many similarities with SAGE, but even sweeter. It's hashy, piney, sweet honey.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
My Old Wicked Weed plant, the bowling ball, is about to roll downhill. I'm glad I caught it in time.
picture.php

picture.php

I tied the uphill stakes to the fence. I hope it does not bring down the whole fence!
picture.php

Here is a close-up of the tops:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The Goo Wicked and the Bangi Wicked crosses already fell over before I had a chance to trellis them. Here is the Goo:
picture.php

picture.php

Bangi Wicked:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Last, but not least, is the Kali Mist Bangi Wicked cross. There is not much change in the size of the buds:
picture.php

I am seeing more sites with buds compared to last week, but the buds don't seem any bigger. There are now lots and lots of tiny buds all over the plant.

Here are some pictures of a related strain on the same day as last year. These are pictures of Miss Universe, which has significant Kali Mist in it's lineage:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Miss Universe is clearly more developed than my Kali Mist cross. This is bad news, since Miss Universe was not harvested until the last week of October. I hope my Kali Mist cross catches up a bit, and the weather is as good or better than last year. Last year's weather will be hard to beat. It was one of the best in the 35+ years I have lived here.

If it finishes correctly, I think my new Kali Mist cross will be better quality and stronger than Miss Universe. Many of my friends thought the high of Miss Universe was the best from last year. I preferred Nanan Bouclou. Miss Universe was noticeably cerebrally active, but had a very relaxing side to it. It wasn't couch-lock, but it had a heaviness or fogginess to it. It was like two highs in one, which I think a lot of people are hoping for in a sativa indica hybrid. I don't. I'm being really picky here, but I'm looking for a soaring spirit and electric energy in addition to the potent trippiness in the high. The pure Kali Mist cutting I bred to was much better in this regard. Crossing it to Bangi Wicked made it earlier. If anything, I'm confident Bangi Wicked will also make it more clean, clear, and energetic.

So far, this September is cooler than last year. I love this weather for my personal comfort. Highs of between 70 and 80 is perfect for me. I'm hoping for warmer days to come for the sake of my plants.

Hope everyone else's gardens are doing well,

ThaiBliss

Sticky Sat

Congrats for these amazing beauties TB ! :) Looks like serious trimming job ahead... ! ;)

I'm looking for a soaring spirit and electric energy in addition to the potent trippiness in the high.

I'm totally with you brother ! :)

A great week end to all !

Cheers ! :tiphat:

Homebrewer

Veteran
Kali Mist f2 below. She has a very complex aroma at the moment: earthy-citrus zest with undertones of bubblegum and spice.

picture.php

picture.php