What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

pinkus

Veteran
i got 1 fem at 71days under 315 cmh- how long do these go for?? - still pushing lots of white hair, and the tricomes are mainly clear, with a few cloudy, no amber... i want a knockout punch...

Whatever the strain, it's going to vary according to both genetics and the day/night cycle they are under.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Whatever the strain, it's going to vary according to both genetics and the day/night cycle they are under.

yep i agree... i bought these fem'd zam's last year, so i guess its ace's latest release... i'll post some pics, but i was hoping for a true 'pure' sativa... mine has leaves that look like they have some indica in em...

Sticky Sat

Have you been growing them in the meantime, or is this the first time you've cracked any since making the seed?

Hello ThaiBliss, :)

I grew it several times during the 5 following years but didn't make any more seeds with it.
Actually i cracked these to make new ones cause i wasn't sure the few left hadn't suffered from a "freezer accident"... Had forgotten what a satisfying strain it was, in many regards. Too bad the only male from the batch was sterile... Only about a dozen seeds left... I pollinated some buds of Sage 5 with the BH male and there's a few seeds from the Sweet Cindy male on the Sage 7 though... :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hello ThaiBliss, :)

I grew it several times during the 5 following years but didn't make any more seeds with it.
Actually i cracked these to make new ones cause i wasn't sure the few left hadn't suffered from a "freezer accident"... Had forgotten what a satisfying strain it was, in many regards. Too bad the only male from the batch was sterile... Only about a dozen seeds left... I pollinated some buds of Sage 5 with the BH male and there's a few seeds from the Sweet Cindy male on the Sage 7 though... :)
It's a good sign that you are a SAGE repeat grower. You are growing some of my favorites, SAGE and Bangi Haze.

Sticky Sat

I'm with you ThaiBliss ! I don't have your experience with both strains but all i've seen so far is extremely positive, and the hybrids you've done with them are beautiful and obviously very vigorous ! :)

Can't wait to see what the Bango (O x BH) will turn like.
On the pics taken yesterday they're 32 days from germination and 6 at 11/13.

The thin leaves pheno has shown its first pistil today after 7 day at 11/13. There's a small cutting soaking and i hope it will root...
attachment.php

The wider leaves pheno hasn't shown sex yet but is an easy cloner (like the O) as it already produced 2 roots in only 5 days.
attachment.php

I can't see how crossing the BH male on the O could give something bad...

O, 33 days
attachment.php

Attachments

• Bango slim pheno, day 32. 6 in flo.jpg
    Bango slim pheno, day 32. 6 in flo.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Bango fat pheno 32 days. 6 in flo.jpg
    Bango fat pheno 32 days. 6 in flo.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 25
  • O, day 33.jpg
    O, day 33.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31

Sticky Sat

Sage 7, day 33.
attachment.php

Because of the bad weather, the 2 Bangi Haze i used to post pics of here had to be harvested 2 weeks earlier than planned. Although not trippy, the high is nonetheless already very pleasant, so is the taste :)

BH 1, thin leaves pheno
attachment.php

BH 2, broader leaves pheno
attachment.php

The Sweet Cindys were closer from being ripe.

Sweet Cindy 1
attachment.php

Sweet Cindy 2
attachment.php

Attachments

• BH 1 bud.jpg
    BH 1 bud.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 39
  • BH 2 bud.jpg
    BH 2 bud.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Sweet Cindy 1 nug.jpg
    Sweet Cindy 1 nug.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Sweet Cindy 2 nug.jpg
    Sweet Cindy 2 nug.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Sage 7, day 33.jpg
    Sage 7, day 33.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 30

Sticky Sat

Hey my friends ! :)

Sampled a Sage 2 bud this morning, and despite the early harvest it was already sweet tasting and quite strong...

Not really the kind of high i'm after though, it leans too much on the Afghani side for my taste. Not a couch locker at all but definitely not a wake and bake strain... The real high lasted about 3 hours but i still feel it 6 hours after. There could well be a trippy side in it but also a possibility to black out... I was glad i didnt take more than 2 tokes on the joint. I don't have a high tolerance but the friend i shared the joint with smoke about 8 g/day, and he just had 3 tokes...

There's a few seeds on it from the Bangi Haze male pollination but i think they'd benefit from being BXed at least twice again on a Bangi Haze and/or an O... It's not like i have much choice anyway...
I hope i'll find a more uplifting pheno among the other 5... ;)

Sage 2 bud
attachment.php

Attachments

• O, day 34.jpg
    O, day 34.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Sage 2 early bud.jpg
    Sage 2 early bud.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Sticky Sat

Hey brothers ! :)

The broad leafed Bango pheno turned out to be a male... I'd have prefered a more sativa leaning one but he has an interestingly bushy structure so, even if we'll keep looking for a thin leafed one, he'll have his chance with the girls... :)

Bango male
attachment.php

The female looks like the perfect blend of her parents. The small cut taken from her produced its first root in only 5 days... ;)

Bango female, day 8
attachment.php

Sticky Sat

I sampled a Sage 4 bud this morning and quite enjoyed the high :) No heaviness here, the afghan heritage just gave some roundness. High duration was under 3 hours but the bud was dried in 24... I think this pheno could be really interesting for the Search with better growing conditions. Going to cut it tomorrow though, before the sooty mould starts to affect the crystallized bud leaves... Too bad this pheno is the most reluctant cloner of the batch...

Sage 4, day 45
attachment.php

The Sage 7 was put in 11/13 10 days after her siblings as she was late from a stunted germination... Although she's not as frosty, her bud formation reminds me a lot of an excellent pheno i found on my first run with this strain.
Very fast. At only 35 days she already looks done. I mean, not like she could be in drier parts of the world but at the point where things usually start going downhill here... Only white pistils left are the ones on the pic :)
I hadn't taken any clone before flowering her cause she was the most indica looking pheno of the batch. Now i'm glad i cut and reveged a 3 weeks old bud... We never know... ;)

Sage 7, day 35 bud close up
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sage 7, 35 days.jpg
    Sage 7, 35 days.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Sage 4, day 45 bud close up.jpg
    Sage 4, day 45 bud close up.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Sticky Sat

A pic of the Sage 4 bud. The pheno i sampled yesterday (and today again to be sure... ;)) Not bad at all... :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sage 4 nug.jpg
    Sage 4 nug.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Sage 2 nug.jpg
    Sage 2 nug.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Sage 1 nug.jpg
    Sage 1 nug.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 25

Sticky Sat

Hello my friends ! :)

Cut the Sage 7 this morning at 38 days. She could of course have gone a few days longer indoor or in a drier place but it's about as far as you can go here, especially since there's usually more rains after the full moon...

Sage 7, day 37 (both pics taken yesterday)
attachment.php

Also had to cut the Sage 5... She definitely could have gone 3 to 5 days longer but the white flies infestation and the progression of the black soot towards the crystallized leaves made me doubtful there'd be a real benefit in waiting any longer...

Sage 5, day 46.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sage 7, day 37.jpg
    Sage 7, day 37.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Sage 7, top bud close up.jpg
    Sage 7, top bud close up.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Sage 5, day 44.jpg
    Sage 5, day 44.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoked some Snow Cambodian Khymer Gold x Chiang Mai Thai, or Golden Dragon. I think one pheno was the Thai but both look alike for the most part.

The 'Thai' pheno was racy but I took samples at 12 weeks, so that might be some of it I am guessing. Trippy visually. Almost saw tracers of moving objects. Or when I moved my vision, the last thing I saw kind of lingered. Thaibliss would like the high I am sure.

The other pheno must have been the Cambodian and was more euphoric and stony I guess. Still all in the head but more body feel, less clear? More comfortable. I could take the plant down now as far as the high being good.

Hope the Thai one mellows a bit. The trip is kind of in the 'cold' realm. Very cerebral. Both must be at least high teens in thc. Strong.

Sticky Sat

I could take the plant down now as far as the high being good.

Hi Yesum, :)
Maybe we should free ourselves from the belief that the longer the plant goes the better the high will be. I'm a sativa lover but remember surprisingly uplifting cerebral highs from indicas cut 10 days earlier than they were "supposed" to be. Without the emergency that motivated this early cut, i'd never have thought possible to get that kind of high from an indica. Also had a JH that was much better 10 days before full ripeness.

H

hard rain

Hi Yesum, :)
Maybe we should free ourselves from the belief that the longer the plant goes the better the high will be. I'm a sativa lover but remember surprisingly uplifting cerebral highs from indicas cut 10 days earlier than they were "supposed" to be. Without the emergency that motivated this early cut, i'd never have thought possible to get that kind of high from an indica. Also had a JH that was much better 10 days before full ripeness.
I completely disagree. I see a lot of growers, even experienced ones, harvest sativa's several weeks too early. There are very few sativa's that are best harvested early. Most are also improved with a very long cure.
Almost every variety I grow I will harvest in stages; take a bud off each week until it is done so I get an idea of what the high is like at different harvest dates. There is nothing I have grown, sativa or indica, that was improved with early harvest.
Just to be clear, I am not chasing a couch lock high either. I prefer an uplifting, energetic sort of high mostly.
You grow lovely plants sticky. Love the look of the SAGE.

xet

Almost every variety I grow I will harvest in stages; take a bud off each week until it is done so I get an idea of what the high is like at different harvest dates.

Good form. This must also improve the quality of the finishing buds in the same way vineyards cut grapes.

Sticky Sat

Hey Hard rain ! :)

Thanks for your kind words mate ! :)

Well, for almost 3 decades i've been thinking just like you and, to be honest, i still do and will always try to make a plant give her best if growing conditions allow it. It would be crazy to settle for less unless there's something you especially enjoy in an unripe plant.
Guess it once again all depends of one's expectations but, often having to harvest early for weather reasons, it could well be more comfortable for my mind to believe every stage of ripeness has something good to offer us... ;)

Have to say that, due to surgery gone bad, my lungs can't take smoke anymore and i've been on daily cookies diet for 5 years now... I resumed smoking last week to sample at least once or twice each pheno of each strain. Despite the early harvest it was already a pleasure but the cookies high is so much more fulfilling... So, most of what you see go for cookies and it's not too bad. In fact it's already often a heartbreak to grind the buds. That being said, i'd gladly take the increased suffering of grinding ripest buds if my weather would allow me to... ;)

The Sage 3 bud i sampled this morning. My favorite so far...
attachment.php

She was the most TMV affected from the beginning. Very lanky extreme sativa look. Just ugly compared to the others, if you don't know sativas ;-) Creeper all in the head high, very uplifting in a creative way, visual distortions. I wish i could smoke more to confirm it but trippiness could be a few tokes away... There's a roundness to it though, and an easy landing after a quite long lasting flight... ;-)

Attachments

• Sage 3 bud.jpg
    Sage 3 bud.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: