What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

BudToaster

Veteran
@Boo i kind of did the hang thing this last time. i don't like it. i prefer to trim the harvest as soon as cut. and get it on screens.

i like to get the RH down to 60% before i jar the buds. it can be too humid here sometimes. i do have a peltier dehumdifier that sits in a 3'x2'x2' box that does an adequate job but it is easy to overshoot the drying. must check it carefully.

oldmaninbc

The Tide pods are a nice luxury. Mom bought them. She buys me stuff like that. Not food so much, unless going to a diner or something. Purex any good? What sports are you interested in? How cold is it getting at night?
We use purex, it seems to do the job and my wife is much more concerned about laundry than I am and she don't mind it. Tide has a good name.
I am not much of a sporty person, no baseball, soccer, basketball and or golf. Sports has not done anything for me. My son likes baseball, he is up on it.
Fishing, hiking, exploring old mining sites, picking wild berries and such, that's what I enjoyed. Being out in nature brings me peace inside.

Night temp is a cool 10C today and over the next 2 weeks the highest will be15C and lowest was 8C

The big change is upon us, I am delighted.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
It’s hard finding 60F around here this time of year for me but I do bring them in my spare bathroom shower. Arlo says that tile is pretty cool so that’s about as cool as I can get it without driving our electric bill up and freezing us outta here
I have monster size here conditioning on both of my shops. I am going to hang them in one of the shop rooms, crank down the air conditioner, and close the door… I don’t know if Bridger temperatures help in the quality while it’s drying, but I think I’m gonna find out

oldmaninbc

For this harvest good enough is not going to cut it. I have put an inordinate amount of love and care in these plants and the genetics are off the chart. I am roughly 5050 today and I will take them first thing in the morning. A friend of mine told me to increase the potency. I should hang them in 60° temperature for about four days, I’ve never heard of that. If anybody has any valid thoughts on them I’d love to hear them… I have experience with this strain and it’s one of the best I’ve ever smoked so I’m taking all the care and precautions to make sure it’s the best it can be. Harvest of this quality pretty special in my eyes… The only downside I see with this particular strain is there so hard and dense they’re quite difficult to grind up due to all the resin inside the bud…
If that is your only downside, no pity from me.

I have always read that cooler temps are best for harvest.
I have no way to back this up but one of the best tasting and effects came from a plant that was dried in a very cold dark room. Smoking it you would have thought you were smoking a bowl of hash.

Maybe you seen my one post about the wine maker who sold expensive bottles of wine and when asked what makes your wine so expensive, his answer was, it's not any one thing we do but all the little things we do that add up to an expensive bottle of wine.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Then wear clean jeans or those slinky shorts that Doober wears should be changed everyday whether they need it or not. But I would advise him to wear them with his other issues…
Doober has issues? Typical for that generation…..my daughter struck out playing kick ball! True story. But she was a gymnast and a college cheerleader??

jokerman

Premium user
Well, that comment made me chuckle, clean undies for the game, Are you worried DB when you jump up to catch the ball your going to lose your pants or are you thinking a female companion might be in the works. Grandma always told me to wear clean underwear in case I had to go to the hospital.

I don't know about there but I can't afford tide Pods. Purex costs me .10 cents a load.
and less temptation to eat

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
We use purex, it seems to do the job and my wife is much more concerned about laundry than I am and she don't mind it. Tide has a good name.
I am not much of a sporty person, no baseball, soccer, basketball and or golf. Sports has not done anything for me. My son likes baseball, he is up on it.
Fishing, hiking, exploring old mining sites, picking wild berries and such, that's what I enjoyed. Being out in nature brings me peace inside.

Night temp is a cool 10C today and over the next 2 weeks the highest will be15C and lowest was 8C

The big change is upon us, I am delighted.

please send some of your weather down to the high plains of eastern Colorado High Plains where it is around 100 degrees…please

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I have monster size here conditioning on both of my shops. I am going to hang them in one of the shop rooms, crank down the air conditioner, and close the door… I don’t know if Bridger temperatures help in the quality while it’s drying, but I think I’m gonna find out
What’s the humidity in that room. From what I read 60% is good

BrassNwood

Veteran
Holy Moly I could be your father .
Im 69 today.
Happy Birthday.
I

I like a story with a happy ending -

- I had the astrozenica jab - now all sorts of people (1000's) - have brought cases against that company for side effects they have got - from taking that jab - perhaps it might have caused or contributed to my own recent heart problems 🤔 - I'll never really know - I suppose 😉
We know way too many people who took the jab and wound up with heart issues.
I have a question and enlightenment...my plants are pushing 10 weeks of flower, all trichs are covered in white and some are beyond amber, almost red...does marijuana degrade in potency...I'm wondering if I should take them down or wait longer...
I harvest at 10 weeks after years of checking trichomes. Mostly they come out looking like bad graffiti of amber on a field of mostly cloudy.
I put my plants in 48 hrs of total darkness before harvest. As a matter of fact the buds never see the light of day again until smoked.
The darkness period really only applies when kickstarting flower. Plants will finish a week to 10 days faster and the dark builds up the flowing hormone to very high levels.

Somewhere along the way it got mixed into harvesting and became lore. Testing showed a different story.
For this harvest good enough is not going to cut it. I have put an inordinate amount of love and care in these plants and the genetics are off the chart. I am roughly 5050 today and I will take them first thing in the morning. A friend of mine told me to increase the potency. I should hang them in 60° temperature for about four days, I’ve never heard of that. If anybody has any valid thoughts on them I’d love to hear them… I have experience with this strain and it’s one of the best I’ve ever smoked so I’m taking all the care and precautions to make sure it’s the best it can be. Harvest of this quality pretty special in my eyes… The only downside I see with this particular strain is there so hard and dense they’re quite difficult to grind up due to all the resin inside the bud…
Growing is only half the job. Dry and Cure is the 2nd chapter.
Beware of AC as it makes very dry air and that is bad in many cases. However, you are in Florida in high humidly so you may be forced to use it.

Time of day you harvest doesn't matter in the least. I start well before sunup and quit when it's too dark to see and do it all again the next day and the next and.....

Trim wet as it is so much easier. Picking broken fan leaves off of sticky bud's sucks.

Ideal dry is 777...... 7 days at 70 degrees and 70% humidity.

I don't have anything close to a controlled space and have to fight very low humidity that can ruin a hanging plant in a few hours. single digit humidity and triple number temps and hanging 3 hours post trim will dry it beyond the Cure point (55%) minimum. Dry to deep and it'll never cure.

It took several ruined harvests before I understood what the hell I was doing wrong. All that lovely smelling weed was turned to shit from overdying.

I trim close, hang until the smallest buds' firm back up, strip the buds from the branches and cut into golf ball sized nuggs.

The buds get placed in cutdown doubled paper bags 3 inches tall and stacked in new clean trash cans overnight to even out the drying. Out during the day and stirred to keep the dry going evenly.

I only take down off the plant what I can trim up in 10 minutes as longer then that and it wilts and makes trimming that much harder.
[IMG]

A jar of denatured Alcohol to dip and clean the scissors in keeps them from gumming up.
[IMG]

Hang until the smallest popcorn buds firm back up. In my local low 12 % humidity this can happen in just hours.

[IMG]

Strip all the buds from the major branches, cut into thumb sized nugs and bag them.
A pair of grape scissors works best for this.

[IMG]

Stack bags in new clean closed trashcan overnight.

Set back out during the day. They'll spend less time out and exposed as the days progress. Stir the bag contents a few times a day.

This slows the dry and made all the difference in how my end product started to come out. Soft and squishy = needs more time exposed. Stiff and almost crunchy = needs more can time. At the end of 7 to 10 days you want to be at 65-62% when the can is first opened in the morning as that is your best read. I suspended a humidity gauge at the top of the can.
[IMG]

At that point it is perfectly dried and can be placed in jars with no pesky burping needed.

[IMG]

Half gallon mason jars with a 60 gram size 62% Boveda humidity pack for insurance and a 60 day cure will give you as good as it gets.
[IMG]

This works in low humidity zones and will get you a can of mold in Florida hurricane season.
:)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Modify as needed for local humidity.

The last high humidity grower I taught this to wound up taking all the screens off his windows and laid them out on sawhorses in the house with the buds on them 12 hours under the AC and 12 hours in the can.

BrassNwood

Veteran
1724886603873.png

60x cross-section shot shows the topside with sun / light ripened cloudy and amber trichomes while the underside hidden from direct light remain crystal clear trichomes.

Think in averages and how much of the plant is shaded from direct light. As edibles (hash capsules) it needs to be a bit further along or it really is super speedy, and you have no chance of getting to sleep on a hash capsule that was made from clear / cloudy with no amber.