What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldfogey8

thats awesome!…I will be looking forward to your results..l

the last time we used corn meal , it caught on fire and now our stone is scorched…I have to look up how to clean the stone now and figure out why t caught fire….
I had a pizza stone that broke(don’t drop them😁)but I remember having to ‘season’ it with olive oil(to make it nonstick I think). I also would oil the bejeezus out of the dough before putting the toppings on it. Never had a sticking problem. However, I am not sure if the high heat of a pizza oven would be a fire hazard/smoke hazard with olive oil.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
good morning Neighbor!..

View attachment 18972429
IMG_2234.gif

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Tylenol nails the liver, Advil gets the kidneys in high dose/chronic usage. Taking a couple of either one of these daily, for a couple weeks, ain't going to fuck you up. It's when people start taking six to 10+ daily for months at a time that it just totally fucks your shit up.

And for me, it wasn't Advil that made me say things I regret, it was the alcohol. o_O

can’t do alcohol even though I love me a good margarita with Cointreau and Triple Sec….

but alas , my allergies won’t allow it……seems everytime I get around alcohol I break out in handcuffs…

oldfogey8

Thanks for the heads up brother! Internal bleeding was listed as a possible side effect and the kidneys are vulnerable as a side effect.

Like people, there is pathology in their populous, but all healthy dogs are smart enough to understand commands, so it really gets down to how important it is to them to maintain our good will. One of the things that I admire about the German Shepherd breed is how important their good standing in the pack is to them and therefore how easy they are to train. Also how evolved their brains are so that at the same time they are training us.

IE: The first thing I train dogs to do is to sit, as well as to shake while they are sitting there. I train them to sit first because I then make them stop and sit at every curb until they receive the OK command.

Those two commands are the only two commands that I use treats for and just use praise for the rest.

Lola had the sit down by the third piece of jerky and the shake after two more. About average for the German Shepherds that we've raised from pups.

An hour later I'm reading the newspaper and Lola walks up, sits down, and hands me her paw looking for another piece of jerky.

If you watch their eyes, they are not just seeing you, they are paying close attention and are reading you.

View attachment 18972432
Your pics are making me want to get a GSD. I have been an American Bulldog person for years and lost my last one last summer. We are looking to get a puppy mid-April. My wife is leaning towards adopting a younger shelter dog which I agree with provided the dog is not from a damaging household. But those are some great looking pups and are known for their intelligence.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
thats awesome!…I will be looking forward to your results..l

the last time we used corn meal , it caught on fire and now our stone is scorched…I have to look up how to clean the stone now and figure out why t caught fire….
The corn meal smokes if you leave it in there after you take the pizza out. I usually scrape it up and remove it dustpan style before closing it now. I think scorched is ok if you scrape it smooth again. Having the dough stick is very frustrating to me. It’s only happened three times but that was enough. With this gadget, you don’t need salmonella or cornmeal

Nannymouse

That's what we need to do resort back to bartering and trading.
...and dirt roads, with nobody to maintain them. I remember when our town had one block of cobblestone, then dirt. I really like the pavement, in town. I gladly pay my taxes and wish the dodgers would pay theirs, too. I guess that it's my way of being patriotic. Many folks who 'hate' taxes, would very much hate not having them.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I had a pizza stone that broke(don’t drop them😁)but I remember having to ‘season’ it with olive oil(to make it nonstick I think). I also would oil the bejeezus out of the dough before putting the toppings on it. Never had a sticking problem. However, I am not sure if the high heat of a pizza oven would be a fire hazard/smoke hazard with olive oil.
The stone should be preheated in the oven while you make the pie. You use The peel to put the loaded pizza onto the preheated stone. The problem we are having or me at least is keeping it from sticking to the peel while putting it on the stone. If it sticks to the peel, it’s a real mess when your toppings dump on the stone before the dough does.

CharlesU Farley

can’t do alcohol even though I love me a good margarita with Cointreau and Triple Sec….

but alas , my allergies won’t allow it……seems everytime I get around alcohol I break out in handcuffs…
12 years ago one of my older brothers died of alcoholic liver disease at 58, just like my father when he was 70, and my grandfather when he was 74.

It don't take a rocket science to figure that shit out.

I got kids, grandkids and now great-grandkids who need me around, so I knew the frequent use of alcohol had to stop. Now, I only indulge on the major holidays... and no Tuesday is not a holiday. :p

It's a long time between New Year's Day and Memorial Day. :confused: But damn I like the summer... Memorial Day, Father's Day, 4th of July and my birthday within 2 months. 🍻

Sun&Soil

The stone should be preheated in the oven while you make the pie. You use The peel to put the loaded pizza onto the preheated stone. The problem we are having or me at least is keeping it from sticking to the peel while putting it on the stone. If it sticks to the peel, it’s a real mess when your toppings dump on the stone before the dough does.
I'm admittedly ignorant to the subject, so excuse me if this isn't an option.

Can you season the peel, like you would cast iron or a steel pan?

SubGirl

Premium user
420club

You want the peel to be dry so that the dough slips off easy. I put cornmeal down on mine which helps it slide off but also lands on the hot stone causing smoke. Semolina flour is another thing you can use with less smoke I think. I think a nice seasoned by use not oil real wood with some porosity is best so the dough doesn’t suction itself to the peel. The one that came With my oven is not real wood and the coating is already melting off a bit even after a few uses. I’ll admit I’m no pizza chef but love homemade pizza. I just purchased a new peel that has a canvas cloth on it that can be kinda conveyored on to the hot stone without having to have that Italian shake that is sometimes required a novice like me sometimes screws up on.
IMG_2487.jpeg

They have a video on Amazon on how it works. I’m hoping it does work as it cost half as much as the oven itself. I like the oven and have made maybe 30 pies in it so far. It gets super hot and chars the bottom better every time I use it

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
So you have to sign up for Patreon to sign up to make a reoccurring payment to this site. Like everything today, overly complicated.

I'm only trying to give Constructive criticism. Make it simpler and offer a couple more options and I bet you get more support.

View attachment 18972152

In your face, but tasteful.

View attachment 18972154
Super easy, and even a way to gift someone in the community if you felt like making a kind gesture. Gifting is contagious and is fun when done anonymous.

I could probably have signed up for a Patreon account by now, but I'm dragging my feet with adding another account, password, and process to my life.

If there is a way to make a donation that is not reoccurring and will be good for 3 months, 1 year, 2 years, or lifetime that would be great, and I would be interested.
Patreon allows you to set any custom amount above the tier we have, and soon smaller tier will be available, too. You can also cancel anytime, and you won't be charged till another month passes since your last payment. Should be easy enaugh, and ofc we are trying to get better options, but most of them have crippling commisions. I would hate to see almost half the money going to them. That shit only worth to influencers that got tens of k's of supporters and don't care about wasting their money to get just a small part of it.

Sun&Soil

After a little research I noticed they may come in wood aswell.
If I had a wood one I would give it a good coating with butcher block oil anytime it gets wet and avoid using dish soap on it.

I don't know your situation, but am trying to be helpful while I sit waiting to meet up with a salesman and board as f k.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your pics are making me want to get a GSD. I have been an American Bulldog person for years and lost my last one last summer. We are looking to get a puppy mid-April. My wife is leaning towards adopting a younger shelter dog which I agree with provided the dog is not from a damaging household. But those are some great looking pups and are known for their intelligence.
We have rescued three German Shepherds, two males and Miss Layla, our first rescued female. The two males were hard cases with more than one owner that were unable to find a new home, and Miss Layla had worn out her welcome at the first one for herding the cats and goats.

Without exception they turned out to be wonderful obedient and loving dogs, doing their level best to maintain their esteemed pack member status.

The thing to remember about the breed is that they are smart so they will continue to test you and that they require a firm, fair, and friendly touch.

You don't have to strike them and shouldn't, because a stern look and a harsh voice is all that is required, and they will fear you if you beat them and run sometime when you desperately want them to come.

399402930_302601246032925_1202824099750991120_n.jpg