What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

CaptainLucky

@moose eater The weight of a black powder rifle bullet is huge compared to modern bullets.

My Big Boar oink-hunting .58 caliber BP rifle shoots conicals that weigh 555gr. Here is a knockdown power comparison.

Each of these bullets were taken from deer. 30.06 vs .58 And yup the monster slug wound up just about an inch across!

If you lookit the perfectly mushroomed conical, you can easily imagine the shock it had to deliver to get that misshapen.

View attachment 18955138

That sucker kills, skins, and cooks with one shot.
That’s why in the Civil War there were so many amputations. Those bullets are devastating. CL🍀

buzzmobile

Veteran
How much of a shake-down do you experience with US Customs, when you're flying back from Costa Rica into either Miami or Atlanta, buzz?
Miami sucks big. There's no way I would consider having any 'souvenirs'. I did find a 30 year old bottle of Centenario rum at a little bodega that I brought home for myself and there was also a boxed set of several aged years of Centenario rums that I bought at the duty free shop in Liberias. It was sealed and taped in the shop so it would be easy to go through US Customs.
The 30 year old is a nice looking bottle.
1707047337218.jpeg

When I stepped up to the Customs Man for a scan he took the bottle and placed it into the machine and a RED light came on. So he removed it from the machine turned it around and put it back in the machine. RED light came on again. Customs Man removes the bottle and says he will run the bottle one more time nodding to the long line of folks behind me. He also told me that another RED light would mean my bargain find would not go home with me. He turned and pushed the bottle firmly into the scanner again and GREEN lit up. YAY!!!

Then he took the sealed bag and sliced it open removed the boxed set of rums and proceeded to tear open the package removing individual bottles to scan them one at a time. So much for gift wrapping a souvenir for friends. LOL

buzzmobile

Veteran
Same here. Just heard last week that Colo has the third highest insurance rates in the country. Huge increases again this year.

Unca Walt

420club
That’s why in the Civil War there were so many amputations. Those bullets are devastating. CL🍀
@CaptainLucky -- Some Civil War trivia: For a short time, there were explosive bullets issued to Union troops.

These bullets were "hollow points" in which a drop of mercury was placed. Then the top was sealed.

When the bullet was fired, the mercury would be flattened in the bottom of the small hollow in the nose of the bullet.

When the bullet hit, the heavy mercury drop would keep on going, and explode the tip of the bullet. It made devastating wounds.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I suspect that the slower a projectile is moving, the more it hurts upon penetration.
Georgia has nothing on Georgia.
This line from the article seems like an understatement:
Reacting to the imminent threat, the homeowner opened the door and fired his muzzleloader rifle at one of the intruders, effectively stopping the attempted break-in.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Had the delayed brunch a bit ago, as described. But my wife added some nice home-fried spuds from our crop of German Butterballs from last summer. (We used to grow 7 or 8 varieties of really nice spuds. This last summer we grew 2 varieties: Yellow Finn and the German Butterballs).

Delectable, but not good for glucose beyond a tiny amount. I won't tell anyone, though.
I'm patiently waiting while listening to MamaD making sounds of sausage gravy and biscuits construction in the kitchen. I can hardly hear her above my growling stomach. I hope I can last. I am feeling weaker by the moment.

Thank you, Donna. That helped.

Unca Walt

420club
It's pretty obvious why Florida has high home/car insurance rates - <hurricanes/Typhoons>
@Gypsy Nirvana -- We had a hurricane (Andew) that wiped out the town of Homestead in the southrin' tip of Floriduh about 35 years ago.

1707051233221.png

1707051401049.png

This got some serious building codes enhancements passed. ALL new construction in Floriduh since then has to meet these new standards.

It is amazing to watch "Cabin Masters" on TV. <-- A group of folks who rebuild cabins in Maine. The amazing part is how they just toenail rafters into place with a single screw, and put new roofs on. And just tap on the tarpaper here and there.

In Floriduh nowadays, rafters are tied in with triple metal sheet tie-downs to the walls. The cement blocks of the walls of the houses (not wood) have steel rebar tying the slab to roof every 18" and are filled with concrete to boot.

The tops of the walls have huge steel I-beams on them

The roofs themselves have nails with 2-inch "washers" every two inches in all directions across the entire roof.

My insta-close steel shutters are good for 200+MPH.

Alla this stuff makes houses down here considerably more expensive.

BUT! Since I built Chateau Sneakydicker 30 years ago, we have had five hurricanes. Not 10 cents worth of damage in total.

Folks down here joke that if their houses go in a storm, they will go as a unit: intact with roof and slab.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@moose eater The weight of a black powder rifle bullet is huge compared to modern bullets.

My Big Boar oink-hunting .58 caliber BP rifle shoots conicals that weigh 555gr. Here is a knockdown power comparison.

Each of these bullets were taken from deer. 30.06 vs .58 And yup the monster slug wound up just about an inch across!

If you lookit the perfectly mushroomed conical, you can easily imagine the shock it had to deliver to get that misshapen.

View attachment 18955138

That sucker kills, skins, and cooks with one shot.
Good examples of the evolution of weaponry. At 1/2 Mass X the velocity squared, all things being equal, if you double the bullet mass you double the energy.

If instead, you double the speed, you quadruple the energy available, which is the direction armament has evolved.

Because of chamber pressures, there was a practical limit to how fast you could propel a bullet from a musket using black powder, so larger cast bullets were used, which mushroom easily, but lose velocity and energy fast, with attendant bullet drop. IE: A 58 caliber ball at 1300 ft/sec has muzzle energy of 967 ft/lb, but it is down to 455 ft/lb by 100 yards.

Gravity is a uniform 32 ft/second squared, so doubling a bullet velocity cuts bullet drop in half over the same distance traveled.

As smokeless powders and improved steel supported higher chamber pressures and velocity, the equal accelerating forces in the opposite direction aka recoil became excessive, and at higher velocity less bullet mass was required to be lethal, so bullet diameter and weight dropped as velocities increased.

Lighter bullets at higher velocities require more spin to stabilize, so it became necessary to clad the bullets to keep them from exploding in midair from centrifugal forces.

Consider that a rifle with a 1:10 twist propelling a bullet to 2800 ft/sec, sends it down range at 201,600 rpm.

Cladding reduces mushrooming so unless the bullet is designed to rapidly expand, they don't do it as readily as a cast bullet and are more likely to not fully dissipate the energy inside the target.

On the other hand, if you do fully expend the available energy in the target, the damage can be extensive. Consider hollow points and Glasser Safety Slugs.