What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
That is a good formula for atomic energy based on C as the speed of light, but 1/2MV squared is the formula to use for projectile energy.

You take the projectile weight in pounds and divide it by 32 to get its mass and then multiply 1/2 of that number times the square of the velocity in feet per second, to get foot pounds of energy.
I love that you know the formula GW. Have a sweet day. 🥰

jokerman

Premium user
10.46am - Leah (the Mrs) got a day off work today - so we cooked a big breakfast with scrambled eggs/cream/spring onion/cilantro/garlic and extra mature cheddar 🧀 baked beans - fried tomatoes - sausages - and baguette bread toasted with butter -
Made it a rock and roll breakfast by playing lots of Chuck Berry - and dancing 🕺 around the kitchen with my daughter (she loves ❤️ rock and roll music ) - while my son practiced the 3 chords he's just learned on the ukulele -

All in all - we all ate very well - and had lots of fun 😁

Ukulele !
Speak to Subbie of the South☝️☝️
She took classical ukulele in school I was told.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
@Gypsy Nirvana -- We had a hurricane (Andew) that wiped out the town of Homestead in the southrin' tip of Floriduh about 35 years ago.

View attachment 18955179
View attachment 18955180

This got some serious building codes enhancements passed. ALL new construction in Floriduh since then has to meet these new standards.

It is amazing to watch "Cabin Masters" on TV. <-- A group of folks who rebuild cabins in Maine. The amazing part is how they just toenail rafters into place with a single screw, and put new roofs on. And just tap on the tarpaper here and there.

In Floriduh nowadays, rafters are tied in with triple metal sheet tie-downs to the walls. The cement blocks of the walls of the houses (not wood) have steel rebar tying the slab to roof every 18" and are filled with concrete to boot.

The tops of the walls have huge steel I-beams on them

The roofs themselves have nails with 2-inch "washers" every two inches in all directions across the entire roof.

My insta-close steel shutters are good for 200+MPH.

Alla this stuff makes houses down here considerably more expensive.

BUT! Since I built Chateau Sneakydicker 30 years ago, we have had five hurricanes. Not 10 cents worth of damage in total.

Folks down here joke that if their houses go in a storm, they will go as a unit: intact with roof and slab.
Ya - the house 🏠 I bought in West Kalayaan/Subic Bay years ago was made to USA Hurricane/Typhoon spec - and we were glad it was when a category 3 Typhoon ripped thru that part of the world 🌎 around 2011 - loads of fallen trees 🌳 - and the power went out for 12 hours or so - but the house was totally unaffected by it - originally all the homes in that area were for US Naval/Marine officers - sea Captains etc - and they had all the homes on that estate built solid as a rock - to be able to make it thru the worst of the worst weather -

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
it is Sunday , Sunday , Sunday!

Know your wrenches and for the European crowd , spanners

no quiz , it is Sunday after all

IMG_8110.jpeg

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have any of ya'll seen the .17 Incinerator based on the 50 BMG?

jokerman

Premium user
Have any of ya'll seen the .17 Incinerator based on the 50 BMG?

Ho Lee Fuk
My squirrels never got that bad
watta round

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Another tenant received a letter from the electric company informing them that they used 37% more energy last quarter vis a vis the same quarter last year, and disproportionate to the other similar sized dwellings in the hood. I can't imagine why, because it is the same equipment and the weather wasn't that different, so agreed to check the amp draw on all the legs to look for anything out of order.
Maybe he has a secret grow grow in there…with some electric eating lights and heaters 🤪

buzzmobile

Veteran
It's pretty obvious why Florida has high home/car insurance rates - <hurricanes/Typhoons>
That's part of it.

Unca Walt

420club
The storm that wrecked Homestead was incredibly rare.

Most folks see Floriduh as being a place that takes occasional breaks from devastating hurricanes just long enough to repair the houses.

That, Pilgrims, is "Wowser Fake News" hyped like mad. The only hurricanes to hit the US this year were in Calihornia and Maine. <-- TINS Zerio for Floriduh.

Here's Anderson Cooper standing in the bottom of a ditch to show the terrible 6" flooding:
1707053358991.png

And the guy bracing himself against the nonexistent wind... just before some folks in shorts casually walk by in the background behind him:
1707053527141.png

To give you an idea of just how utterly rare the Homestead hurricane (with pre-storm shitty housing standards in place) was: It was a Category 5 when it hit.

The last time a Category 5 hit was in the year 1900. Yup.

So we are getting ready because we are due for another one sometime about the year 2097.

Just around the corner.

Meanwhile, yesterday I was outside sitting in a folding chair, stripping Christmas tree needles off some branches of a neighbor's discarded tree to make a scented pillow.

I had to move into the shade because my knees were getting sunburned -- I was wearing shorts. It was 78F.

Last edited:

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
@buzzmobile -- A lotsa folks might think it is not a good idea to leave a BP weapon loaded because of the corrosive salts.

But the corrosive salts only get there when the beast is fired, so leaving a BP rifle loaded really is OK.
I was wondering how long you could leave them loaded before shooting them. Say I had one loaded up in the coat closet by the front door for say two or three years “just in case”. Would it still fire ok after sitting up for that long? Seems like a fresh pack would be better for some reason…

buzzmobile

Veteran
@buzzmobile -- A lotsa folks might think it is not a good idea to leave a BP weapon loaded because of the corrosive salts.

But the corrosive salts only get there when the beast is fired, so leaving a BP rifle loaded really is OK.
My father in law gave me a reproduction .44 Navy Colt revolver one Christmas. I have not shot it for many years, but when I did it got a tear down and a soap and water bath before a light oiling to finish. It shoots well but I need caps and balls.
P2040049.JPG