What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Just left bigsur51's surfing movie running - while I looked for a spare cap for buzzmobile - that I could spare - and have loads of American Baker Boy caps - so yeah - I can help you with a spare cap - but alas - I don't have any spare balls -
*spare cap
2024-02-0413.57.332916815833822652657.jpg

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Just left bigsur51's surfing movie running - while I looked for a spare cap for buzzmobile - that I could spare - and have loads of American Baker Boy caps - so yeah - I can help you with a spare cap - but alas - I don't have any spare balls -
*spare cap
View attachment 18955200
Buzz would look sexy in this cap. Does it have ear flaps?

Unca Walt

420club
I was wondering how long you could leave them loaded before shooting them. Say I had one loaded up in the coat closet by the front door for say two or three years “just in case”. Would it still fire ok after sitting up for that long? Seems like a fresh pack would be better for some reason…
@SubGirl -- It depends on the weapon. If your weapon is primed with caps, then the clock begins to tick.

Reason: The powder in the chamber behind the bullet has air access through the primer nipples on a pistol.

On long guns, if you have the shotgun shell primer gadget that screws airtight/watertight shut (like I do), it is the same as sitting in the powder can.
1707055254463.png

You can load your BP rifle, put it under water and leave it... Take it out, pour the water out of the barrel, and pull the trigger: It will shoot.

jokerman

Premium user
Depending on the read I like to drink my coffee slow ,( depending on the read) ( safer that way)
Coffee gets cold. I decide to buy a 24 ox soup thermos for mine coffee to keep warm.
The dam thing keeps it hot. hot as Subie playin "Purple Haze" on her electric ukulele☝️

Unca Walt

420club
My father in law gave me a reproduction .44 Navy Colt revolver one Christmas. I have not shot it for many years, but when I did it got a tear down and a soap and water bath before a light oiling to finish. It shoots well but I need caps and balls.
View attachment 18955196
I have that exact model pistol -!-

FUN to shoot at night. It gives a ten-foot flame. PLUS a nimbus flame from the middle.

BTW: The .44 balls are sold in THREE sizes. Get the smallest. You will NOT be able to load the largest without having to actually shear the bullet.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I regularly leave BP revolvers loaded for extended periods of time and never had one fail to fire.
Grease over the balls or conicals and properly fitting caps make for a fairly tight seal.
We've been playing around with them for a few years but not as long as walt.
Immediately clean in soapy water after firing or corrosion will wreck your gun.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
@SubGirl -- It depends on the weapon. If your weapon is primed with caps, then the clock begins to tick.

Reason: The powder in the chamber behind the bullet has air access through the primer nipples on a pistol.

On long guns, if you have the shotgun shell primer gadget that screws airtight/watertight shut (like I do), it is the same as sitting in the powder can.
View attachment 18955202

You can load your BP rifle, put it under water and leave it... Take it out, pour the water out of the barrel, and pull the trigger: It will shoot.
Was wondering if house humidity would effect it but I didn’t know about the screw in gadget.

jokerman

Premium user
*spare cap
View attachment 18955200
My Mia would get on top of my head wearing a base ball cap.
Was so funny having her stand on the brim and look at me.
She also Chews the shit of any top button right off!
My Mia is a Sun Conure

Last edited:

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I have that exact model pistol -!-

FUN to shoot at night. It gives a ten-foot flame. PLUS a nimbus flame from the middle.

BTW: The .44 balls are sold in THREE sizes. Get the smallest. You will NOT be able to load the largest without having to actually shear the bullet.
Shaving that ring of lead is desired as it assures A tight fit sealing the chamber preventing chain fires and increasing pressure.
Without shaving A ring the rounds tend to back out the chamber and jam the cylinder from rotating.
We shoot BP revolvers at least weekly cuz its a ridiculous amount of fun.
The downside is powder and especially caps are scarce and extremely expensive.
These days under our current regime.