What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

moose eater

For winter tires, we've been dyed-in-the-wool Blizzak fans, as nothing holds to snow and ice in a studless tire like them, though what I refer to as 'Kodiak ice', or ice with a glaze and a smidgen of micro-thin layer of water on top is a weak link for anything but chains.

For summer tires I just scored some Nokian Outpost 10-ply tires with over a 1.5-ton rating per tire for the camper van, as some of the places I go in the Yukon Territory have reasonably lengthy stints of unmaintained or poorly maintained gravel and chip-seal surfaces

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Michelin for the win. Bought a really nice set at Costco a few years ago. Very expensive but super handling high speed rated jobs. Within a week one developed a bubble on the side wall. To top it off, the tire was no longer available. The little mouse fart manager said he wasn't going to eat 3 tires....he didn't realize it was me standing behind him. With one hand around his neck, I prepared to punch his head threw the showroom window...he began throwing numbers out. I finally struck a deal for a set of Bridge stones, I was still out just under $200.00 bucks.

I contacted Michelin to inform them of the poor service I received from their vendor they were appalled. They asked me exactly how much I was out over buying the bridge stones. They sent me a check for full amount.
Last time I had a car here in the UK - a Jag 'S' type 'R' - it always ran on Continental (sport) tyres - never ever had a flat - and those 'Conti's - would happily run at 155mph - all the way thru Belgium 🇧🇪 - if the road was clear - but they were not cheap - about £200 each - 20 years ago -

moose eater

I know I'm being a dick... But it's ironic being in the Old Farts thread...reading you guys bitch about your kids... And their kids which are my age. Lawdamercy. 😅😅😅
I remember when my earring in the left ear and love beads, not to mention acid rock, was a clear sign of a 'bridge being out ahead.' Never mind all of that recreational drug use that killed me 40 years ago...

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
no tires for me today...the kid tried to sell me tires with cleats on them telling me they were quiet...I told him to stuff the tires where the moon don't shine...cleats are for off road use, not highway...I have a loaded superduty that is quiet as a church mouse and weighs in at about 8000 lbs...it rides like a caddilac and costs a whole lot more due to all the options...the last thing I wanna do is look kool and have a ride that hums...the new tires will be in stock on the 2nd...

BubbasPlace

Last time I had a car here in the UK - a Jag 'S' type 'R' - it always ran on Continental (sport) tyres - never ever had a flat - and those 'Conti's - would happily run at 155mph - all the way thru Belgium 🇧🇪 - if the road was clear - but they were not cheap - about £200 each - 20 years ago -
A buddy came home with new Maserati. About 800 a month average maintenance. Tires? I forgot what ridiculous price he said, the kicker was they only lasted about 8500 miles!

Bubba

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I know I'm being a dick... But it's ironic being in the Old Farts thread...reading you guys bitch about your kids... And their kids which are my age. Lawdamercy. 😅😅😅
It’s not all kids and kids kids but the ones that have lost respect and appreciation and the ones that were never taught it… imo anyways. some of that is our fault for sure but some have their own ideas…
‘if you were my kid hash, what would I be telling my friends about you?🤪. You seem to have respect for your elders and appreciation for some things at least but maybe you can explain it to this older generation why respect and appreciation is so rare amongst the younger generation and worse the older generation too….

moose eater

no tires for me today...the kid tried to sell me tires with cleats on them telling me they were quiet...I told him to stuff the tires where the moon don't shine...cleats are for off road use, not highway...I have a loaded superduty that is quiet as a church mouse and weighs in at about 8000 lbs...it rides like a caddilac and costs a whole lot more due to all the options...the last thing I wanna do is look kool and have a ride that hums...the new tires will be in stock on the 2nd...
Quiet?

I got pulled over here close to 40 years ago in my '64 Ford pick-up, by a Trooper parked on the side of the town's main thoroughfare, who had his window down and could hear my studs that were still in place after the removal date, while I was rolling by him at all of about 10-15 mph.

Maybe he was a piano tuner as a side-line occupation? But his hearing my studs in that circumstance sure surprised me.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
moose, I had a quadravan with 9 forward speeds and a 460 interceptor motor in it...tires with 38x16 and they didn't hum, they screamed as I drove down the road...took it to Vermont for the holidays...6 mpg about broke me but we had a ball so it was worth it...

moose eater

I remember when my earring in the left ear and love beads, not to mention acid rock, was a clear sign of a 'bridge being out ahead.' Never mind all of that recreational drug use that killed me 40 years ago...
It's largely about one generation establishing (or trying to) individual unique identity and greater freedoms in some cases, in different ways (or so they think) than those who came before them, and sometimes seeing our mistakes.

I told my kids when they were growing up that I wasn't going to specify grades for them that they needed to achieve, other than for auto insurance; B-average minimum if I was buying their auto insurance, as rates go up for those with lower grades than that. I -did- tell them that while most of us fail at this in some ways in life, to always try to do their best, as everything they do in life, and I mean EVERYTHING, has their name on it in one way or another.

I told them that I had no illusions about any of them being made to become rocket scientists, neurosurgeons, etc., but that they needed to be able to provide enough stability for themselves, if possible, to not constantly be pushing the river to try and eat hand-to-mouth, as that leads to a lot of possible outcomes that are not pretty.

I told them there are plenty of shallow people in powerful and profitable positions, and that whatever they did, if they were respectful and kind in their approach to others and life, that I'd view them as successes, well beyond whatever their annual salaries were/are.

moose eater

moose, I had a quadravan with 9 forward speeds and a 460 interceptor motor in it...tires with 38x16 and they didn't hum, they screamed as I drove down the road...took it to Vermont for the holidays...6 mpg about broke me but we had a ball so it was worth it...
Pulling a small boat on a trailer with that first-year TBI 350 and a 700R4, up and down the hills and valleys, with the van's weight, added cargo, and the van being about 10' in the air, heading over to and back from the Yukon Territory, reminds me every time that I no longer grow for sale and profit. :)

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I had a very lucrative operation going here for many many years but about three years ago I decided that I didn’t want to play the game nor did I want to pay the dues. Now I just grow for fun and the flowers, of course… I’ve got a friend that doesn’t live too far that grows phenomenal flowers and I smoke his when I don’t have mine… I can smoke his flowers for less than a cost me to grow my own… obviously he’s a good friend…😁
image000000.jpeg

jokerman

Premium user
Hell, chocolate at the right time in -my- life is key!!

76% cocoa to 92% cocoa, just in case anyone's considering a care package. Fewer carbs than not, per 3 squares serving please, and Ghirardelli and Lindt tend to be the creamier sources, though Lindt tends to add too much sweetener, to the point that it sometimes tastes closer to milk chocolate, despite the higher percentage of cocoa.

Boy, if I could only run the world!! I'll tell ya'!!

Never mind, that'd be a lot of work....
you would need a plane.

Mr_Hash

It’s not all kids and kids kids but the ones that have lost respect and appreciation and the ones that were never taught it… imo anyways. some of that is our fault for sure but some have their own ideas…
‘if you were my kid hash, what would I be telling my friends about you?🤪. You seem to have respect for your elders and appreciation for some things at least but maybe you can explain it to this older generation why respect and appreciation is so rare amongst the younger generation and worse the older generation too….
As usual, a very thought provoking set of questions @SubGirl . Thank you.🙂🥰

I agree it's not *all* kids kids. I'm also asking myself wtf is going on these days... But of course I had a pretty shit childhood... Not consequential to this conversation...but it turns out beating is different than spanking. Who knew?...so my perspective is... nuanced.

If you were my Momma, I would imagine you'd be telling your (close) friends that I grow the best weed east of the Mississippi... And that I'm an amazing Daddy to all my kiddos... That I'm strong in heart...and wealthy in life because of the love and generosity that I have, despite all the shit that I have been through.🙂

As far as the generation in question... Methinks it started with everyone getting a trophy when I was a kid...not learning that that you can have anything you want if you work hard and don't give up....and that you're gonna fucking fail... That life is hard... and it hurts...

Coddling victim mentality and telling adults they can play pretend for life seems to have consequences as well... But thats just my opinion. Oh the Internet, too...and cell phones.
😁
signal-2024-01-30-15-11-41-683.gif
signal-2024-01-30-15-11-21-109.gif

moose eater

I had a very lucrative operation going here for many many years but about three years ago I decided that I didn’t want to play the game nor did I want to pay the dues. Now I just grow for fun and the flowers, of course… I’ve got a friend that doesn’t live too far that grows phenomenal flowers and I smoke his when I don’t have mine… I can smoke his flowers for less than a cost me to grow my own… obviously he’s a good friend…😁 View attachment 18952999
Beautiful bud, Boo.

Yep, adrenaline and anxiety, no matter where it's parked in the brain or soul, gets as old as too many years of doing too much coke.

(I attended BB's 73rd birthday tour up here, by the way, but a pertinent song for those transitions in life, like commercial growing, larger smuggling endeavors, coke, methedrine, etc.).

Latest posts

Latest posts