What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

OleReynard

Yeah when you have the time to carefully prepare for the inevitable and part of that preparation requires you to be strong for the loved one passing, it can have kind of a numbing effect on the grieving process. I went thru something similar when my mother passed from cancer at age 93. She felt she had lived long enough and she had already outlived all her siblings and spouses as well as many of her friends. So when she was diagnosed with cancer she refused any treatment other then pallatative care and then when the end was near she switched over to hospice care. She discussed her diagnosis and her choice on treatment about a month before her passing with me and my two brothers. That gave us all about a month or so to come to terms with her impending death. As a result we all took it quite stoically at first but then each of us had our own more emoptional experience quietly at a later date. For me it was when I went to make my weekly Sunday call to her to touch base and realized she wasn't there to answer the phone, as I was dialing her out of habit. It will likely come for you at some time in the near future when something reminds you that she is gone. The thing I found most helpful at times like that was to try not to focus on the loss but instead force myself to think of all the happy memories I had.
You only called your momma once a week, what is the matter with you.
I call every other day and still feel guilty.

oldmaninbc

I hear you there Unca Walt, after my last of the 6 Furbabies my wife and I started with, passed away. I decided to never have another pet because it's just to painful to deal with anymore. The last one was a lovely Calico cat we named Miss Patches, she was a good family member, a good friend and companion and she hung in there until she was 22. That was 2 years ago when I was 62 and I thought about getting another cat to replace her but then I thought about how I really couldn't afford all the costs for food, toys, litter, health care etc. and had to recognize I couldn't really afford it anymore. What really got me though was thinking if a new cat managed to live as long as Miss Patches that would have me at 84. Now I know 84 is an age many people achieve but given my health my family's health history and being realistic about it all. I concluded there is a fair chance I won't make it that long. The only thing I can think of as being worse then taking on a pet you can't afford to care for properly would be to take on a pet that might out live you. The reason being that most people don't want to take on older cats and dogs. They want kittens and puppies that they can raise from scratch. So older pets often get put in a rescue place or in the local humane society and they more often then not get passed over until the place they're staying at beomes so overcrowded that they end up being euthanize and I don't want to ever put myself in a position of possibly doing that to a beloved pet.
Good day HempKat we gave ourselves the same reasons as you for not getting another cat. My doctor who was concerned for me when my cat died said many of his patients say the same thing. I was OK, I was just sad.

Before covid the cost of our cat was around $2,000 a year, when I look at the cost today it would be $3,000 a year multiply that by a minimum of 10 and you have a lot of money that might be needed in the future, by us.
I could not stand the the thought of a cat who has only know affection to wind up somewhere, stuck in a cage around multiple other cats, with no one to offer the cat affection and a violence free life.

I am good with it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I assume that the Rainier cherries come from the Pacific Northwest, I find them far more yummy than the sweet red cherries. When I get up, Ivan is always by my side, looking for handouts, but he knows when it comes to cherries and almonds he doesn’t get any. Truly amazed at how attentive and loyal Ivan has become, while there will never be a substitute for Dutch, Ivan owns my heart at this point… I was talking via PM with Dog last night and I told him that I’ve got a line on two different lineages of German Shepherds. Ivan has relatives in Texas and the breeder in Chicago has got some beautiful red dogs. I dream about a new puppy, but all my efforts are here at home with my boys now…
I'm eating Rainier Cherries as we speak, and they are choice. We have the perfect climate for them.

Always room for another pup to dig one more hole in your heart alongside the rest. The best part is that they don't actually leave the hole in our hearts empty but stay with us there and keep it always filled with love.

444827062_428139926814642_6413355142532619191_n.jpg

Unca Walt

420club
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There It Is.

Classic angina. Hey @D.B. Doober -- Lissen to Subbie. And yer Unca.
It seems to happen a couple times everyday it usually happens when I'm at rest just like sitting there and then I get like a really bad pain it's like a vice like squeezing in my heart and my chest but then it goes away it usually happens after I smoke

I sent him a private message. His heart is being tortured by lack of the stuff that makes it alive. Stop putzing around, D.B. -- WHILE YOU FREAKIN' CAN !!!

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Wait until they pass away…you then realize you should have called Mom more frequently…I spent a week in the summer and a week in the winter visiting/maintaining her home and I now wish I spent more time with Mom
My mom passed in 2006. Real father just before that. I wasn't close to either. Pretty much their choice....I was the Black Sheep of the family.

Talk or see my daughter daily. We are best friends. I think because both me and Mrs Pute came from broken homes we went out of our way to raise our daughter in such a way that caused the relationship we have today.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good day HempKat we gave ourselves the same reasons as you for not getting another cat. My doctor who was concerned for me when my cat died said many of his patients say the same thing. I was OK, I was just sad.

Before covid the cost of our cat was around $2,000 a year, when I look at the cost today it would be $3,000 a year multiply that by a minimum of 10 and you have a lot of money that might be needed in the future, by us.
I could not stand the the thought of a cat who has only know affection to wind up somewhere, stuck in a cage around multiple other cats, with no one to offer the cat affection and a violence free life.

I am good with it.
We arranged for a home and the cost of our pet's upkeep in our wills. They will no doubt miss us, but they will be well taken care of in a loving home.

We've also stopped raising pups, but rescue adults instead, so that they exchange being stuck in a cage for the good life. They have been oh so appreciative.

Unca Walt

420club
It sounds like it's angina honestly. Well I'll discuss it tomorrow at the doctor. So now I have a penis and angina.
INADEQUATE RESPONSE!!!!!!! DENIAL TIME.

GET YOUR BUTT TO THE ER, AND THEN GO TO YOUR DOCTOR TOMORROW WITH THE INFORMATION THE ER WILL GIVE BOTH OF YOU.

The ER will very possibly put you in hospital and if so, your doctor can see you there. This is not something to play with.

Your heart is shooting pain. If you had an infected fingernail, it would hurt you and you would do something about it. This is a quantum jump above fingernail infection.

oldmaninbc

Wait until they pass away…you then realize you should have called Mom more frequently…I spent a week in the summer and a week in the winter visiting/maintaining her home and I now wish I spent more time with Mom
I was separated from my Mom by distance and my stepfather. There were many years we lost touch. Then sparring phone calls, which picked up. When My stepdad died, I started talking to my Mom on a regular basis and we were no longer estranged. My Mom lived for several years and we had wonderful conversations. Because of my health conditions long distance travel is out of the question.
My doctor said to me once, I'd I have to give you so much morphine to travel you would be drooling all over yourself. I didn't tell him I don't need morphine to drool on myself:)

The last time I phoned my Mom in the morning she had passed away that night, so the last phone call I had with her was my last with out knowing it. I am glad we told each we love and miss each other.

oldmaninbc

Yes - must be rather uncomfortable to do any sort of active sport - with such large kasunga's bouncing around on a woman's chest - even with an over shoulder boulder holder that has great tensile strength - maybe that's why you don't often (if ever) see top tennis players - with more than a handful 😉 - great for feeding babies though - I was breast fed till 9 months old (then started biting ) - and my Mum was suitably well endowed enough to be able to feed 6 kids that way - but not all at once -
You mean your Mom didn't run multiple feeding lines from her breast to several kids at one time while doing the dishes, scrubbing the floor and planning the days meals:)

Unca Walt

420club
Yeah when you have the time to carefully prepare for the inevitable and part of that preparation requires you to be strong for the loved one passing, it can have kind of a numbing effect on the grieving process. I went thru something similar when my mother passed from cancer at age 93. She felt she had lived long enough and she had already outlived all her siblings and spouses as well as many of her friends. So when she was diagnosed with cancer she refused any treatment other then pallatative care and then when the end was near she switched over to hospice care. She discussed her diagnosis and her choice on treatment about a month before her passing with me and my two brothers. That gave us all about a month or so to come to terms with her impending death. As a result we all took it quite stoically at first but then each of us had our own more emoptional experience quietly at a later date. For me it was when I went to make my weekly Sunday call to her to touch base and realized she wasn't there to answer the phone, as I was dialing her out of habit. It will likely come for you at some time in the near future when something reminds you that she is gone. The thing I found most helpful at times like that was to try not to focus on the loss but instead force myself to think of all the happy memories I had.
For those whom it may concern -- a piece of info that may become important to you:

If/when the time comes you realize you cannot get better, and there is no quality of life, you have a painless recourse.

This from MySonTheDoctor:

"As a general rule of thumb, a person can survive without water for about three days."

Moreover, any discomfort fades away after two days.

HAH. I checked. Seems Medical News Today agrees with Scooter:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325174#how-long-can-you-live-without-water

Like we useta say: There It Is.

oldmaninbc

Feeling chest or heart pain more and more. It used to just be after I smoked...would be a squeezing pain. Now it happens when I wake up. Doctor appointment tomorrow I will ask for a referral for cardiologist
Hello DB, smart move, get to the doc, find out what is going on.

I had to give up smoking in the interest of longevity. I do not miss it any longer, well not much.

Good day to you DB

Unca Walt

420club
When my mom and stepfather got older, I set up part of my house as a two-family abode. They had their own private bedroom, bath, kitchen, living room with fireplace, and entrance.

Latest posts

Latest posts