What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

imiubu

That would be rather silly in my opinion. Your tongue is designed to taste just five things: Bitter, Sour, Salty, Sweet and Umami aka savory. The rest of what we call flavor is actually scents detected by the nose as we eat something. So for example when we eat a peach, the tongue is picking up the sweetness of the fructose in the peach but the rest of the "peach" flavor comes from the smell of it that our nose detects. That's why the flavor of things are so very much like the way the food smells.

It seems like an absurd overreaction to avoid all sugars unless you are unfortunate enough to be a type one diabetic. If you deny yourself all sweets you deny yourself one fifth of the things your tongue was designed to taste. The sugar you most want to avoid is table sugar aka sucrose. Sucrose like fructose is natural and mostly derived from sugar cane or sugar beets. The difference however is that its a combination of two sugars, frutose and glucose. This makes it complex and therefore harder to process then other natural sugars like frutose found alone in most fruits.

It's definately a good idea to limit your intake of sugar, especially if you're diabetic but it's not necessary to eliminate it completely. Instead learn to replace things like ice creams, baked sweets and soda/flavored drinks with fresh fruit an fruit juices (no sugar added). Not only can you still enjoy the sweetness of the fruit and have it be less harmful for your body but many fruits are loaded with antioxidents and other nutritional goodies that have benefits for things like your heart, brain and other important organs. Some are even so loaded with these nutritional benefits that they are classified as super foods. My personal favorite of this group is blueberries.

Of course just like any sugar one should consume fruit in moderation. Eating too much of a good thing can still have harmful effects on the body.
On the subject of sucrose/ fructose et al, I will kindly say that;
We will just need to agree to disagree.

I am a sugar addict and any sweets trigger that deeply founded addiction.
I do not deny myself anything of nutritional value that is beneficial to my health and well being :)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Anybody seen Gypsy? I dont have time to read all these posts ( there is like 50 !!!! 🤪). I thought that High Times article might stimulate some memories and get his book moving again. 🌈
Ya - I'm about (somewhere) - had a quite weekend - lots of snooz'in - and actually got back to a little writing today - still have a bit of a numb chest around the pacemaker - but no real pain - just a little muscle ache from exercising - been a good boy in recovery - ate - slept - and walked mostly - can now carry a full backpack again - just need a bit more mental clarity - and I should get that by applying myself to writing again - after all those meds I was taking for pain and what-all-else - makes it hard to focus - I find 😊 - kinda scrambles the grey matter - lol

imiubu

I miss having chickens. My old jack russells spent 3 days eating through the wood on the side of the coop one winter, one was always being sick in the kitchen, brown watery puke... it was the creosote on the wood, we worked out.
We came home from work one night to one and a half chickens in the garden and a blood soaked couple of terriers.
Then I found the eaten away hole in the shiplap.

Little monkeys!
They are 'ratters' or 'varmint' dogs after all :)

imiubu

Ahh - it still hurts a bit - when I sneeze - but that's usually just once a day on average - <nose starts tingling - just thinking about it >
Good to see you :)

Have you considered Omega 3 Fish oil supp's or... eating a can or two of sardines a week?

From my own personal experience, I was totally flabbergasted by the improvement
of mental clarity and the complete annihilation of my brain fog once I began eating just
1 can of those little fishies each week.
Folks close to me commented on how I had become so 'sharp' minded again.
So, it was not just in my head ;) Others noticed it immediately also. Cool.
Thank you little fishies :)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
On the subject of sucrose/ fructose et al, I will kindly say that;
We will just need to agree to disagree.

I am a sugar addict and any sweets trigger that deeply founded addiction.
I do not deny myself anything of nutritional value that is beneficial to my health and well being :)
No problem, I wasn't trying to suggest what you should do I was just expressing my opinion with regards to your suggestion about what i should do with regards to sugar.

OleReynard

Have you considered Omega 3 Fish oil supp's or... eating a can or two of sardines a week?

of mental clarity and the complete annihilation of my brain fog once I began eating just
No fish oil for heart surgery's I thought?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

2024-06-1014.38.504221924296290117340.jpg

Ahh Haaa! - look at what was lurking in the larder - one is date stamped 09/24 and the other 11/24 - so best start snacking on them now - Mmmm - I'll put some on a crumpet -

Latest posts

Latest posts