What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Something wicked this way comes

av8or

I think I will do 1 per light. Unfortunately my DE's are hoodless (it's the integrated unit like the Gavita), so I'll have to deal with the heat and keep enough distance from canopy.
Has anyone figured out how to do DE vertically? I think it can be done, you could have 2 wires holding the ends together and only blocking the light minimally.

That is engouraging, especially for the wattage. Is there a reason you don't do 4k lights, 1K per plant? That is what I was planning on doing for the same size room.

Yeah, I hang a 1k mh in the center of the room, then split a 1k ballast into 2x500 watt hps bulbs. All vertical. It's the classic X pattern from Heath

Mr Blah

My 10x10 foot rooms with 3000 watts and 4 plants are yielding 6 pounds on average now.
I pretty much do the same thing in a few of my rooms;5-600hps hanging.
Do you run Co2, sealed room?

I seem to never be able to get over 5# in my best room.
Must be strain dependent?

av8or

I pretty much do the same thing in a few of my rooms;5-600hps hanging.
Do you run Co2, sealed room?

I seem to never be able to get over 5# in my best room.
Must be strain dependent?

Yeah...sealed, co2 @750, temp 82, rh descending from 70 to 45 throughout the cycle. The indoor scene in Oregon lends itself to really great strains. Also, I progressively harvest over 2 weeks on each plant. I fill out almost all of the cubic space in the rooms, too. Veg takes about 3 weeks from a 12" rooted clone.

Speed of green

Hi delta9 and everyone. Major props on PPK. I'm a beginner hooked on reading about it.

Got a question for anyone that can possibly help me out - I'm trying to figure out some brand names for ordering some of the xlp perlite. I understand "xlp" is a Supreme Perlite brand name for extra coarse stuff. Can someone tell me if any of these are equivalent to the xlp perlite? It's for a 2" tailpiece. Are there any other brands you can recommend?

Mother Earth Coarse Grade Perlite - https://a.co/1jMwvfr
Mother Earth Perlite #3 - https://a.co/j1UzfFV
Mother Earth Perlite #4 - https://a.co/dd3w3tp

The #4 stuff is the biggest, but can it be too big?
Thanks a lot for the help! I'll definitely be reading along.

It can be too big, i had to toss the media from my first 5 plant sites because i bought the largest stuff they had, you are looking for coarse horticultural grade. its about the size of a raisin with some smaller particles.

ptobably 2-3x the size of the MVP
This is the right stuff.
https://bariteworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Perlite-SC-Gradation.jpg

This is the stuff i had to toss.
picture.php
picture.php

tilopa

hey! so, what you are looking at is 7 27 gal tubs around the sides of an 8' x 8' room. the first tub has a 750 gph pump in it. it is fired for 30 seconds every 30 minutes using a repeat cycle timer. this evacuates the tub the pump is in and redistributes the solution equally to the other six tubs via the red hose you see going around the room.. valve controlled at one gal each. this is enough cyclic volume to homogenize the solution. then our old friend gravity equalizes water levels through the return lines.
Delta9, can you help shed some light on this for me. What kind of valve do I need for this? Is the red hose a regular garden hose? And why do you do this extra process for intermediate veg? I guess the clue is where you say "homogenize the solution", what does that mean?

these are connected to the plant containers with 1/4" od, .177 id drip tubing with little t's on the ends. if you keep them all the same length you don't need valves.
The pumps will have a 1/2" tube coming out of them up to the lid of the tote, and from there you punch 1/4" tube into it? And making sure the length of the 1/4" tube is the same for all plant sites means they will be evenly distributed?

Thanks much.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
just pulled down my two mothers in rockwool pots under 600w of LED each. one did about pound(just a few grams under) and the other did 18 zips and some change. now the same cuts will into PPK and see how they do.

my vert donuts are ABSOLUTELY SLAYING IT. im so friggin impressed. i had seen a guy on here that was doing PPKs with vertical bulbs in the center of the plant and the plants were scrogged around a cage. anyone know who that was or have a link to his grow? i may wanna try that style

zeke99

So I just finished my first harvest in quite some time. The nugs were frosty, but I am unhappy with the size and yield.

Hoping to receive constructive criticism.

Details: 2 gallon PPK, 1.5" tailpiece, 6.5' cube tent, 1K lighting hung centrally, the GE metal halide bulb, jacks & calcinit. Tent is in a vented room. 8" fan pulling through a filter, ducted out the window. Daily adjustments were made to keep temps.within range of 73 to 83. The average daylight temp in was slightly lower.

Last edited:
any ppk users have a "draining circuit" built into their plumbing?? Basically a hose with a ball valve on it that is dedicated to emptying out the PPK system?

I am looking for ideas on how i can design one.

I just finished my first grow with PPK and i want to completely empty out the remaining water from the buckets so i can clean the buckets a little (a lot of build up is sitting at the bottom of each bucket). I didn't install any way to drain my ppk system and would like to tomorrow so that i can easily drain out the water to clean the buckets.

I'm thinking about just replacing a Barbed Elbow with a Barbed Tee so that i can add a hose with an inline ball valve that would be turned on just for draining.

But im not sure how that would work because the hose would be at ground level and it would be hard to "syphon" the water when the entire plumbing is at ground level. i would probably have to strategically pick up PPK sites to get the water to drain out. Anyone have any ideas on how to efficiently do this?

PS - just want to expand further and say i see d9s drain circuit on page 1 and am thinking about doing the same thing but im not sure what he hooks that hose up to when he wants to drain every thing and how does he overcome the fact that the entire plumbing is ground level?

Get a hand siphon pump. Can put a hose on it and pump in to a bucket. At least that's my plan...

Gry

Veteran
I use a "pool [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]toy" bough[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]at a dollar s[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ore. Looks like a large syringe.
When it gets a little sticky, canned
pam works well.
[/FONT]

Mr Blah

I got a 1/2" ball valve connected to a 1/2" godyr rubber hose that is shoved into a tad bit smaller hole in a couple of my control buckets for draining. It takes as much time as a having a cup of coffee to drain.
After I drain I have to go to each site and use the shop vac to suck out what doesn't come out. No big deal but I believe there is no other way.
This is where a 4 site is much more manageable. :biggrin:

420ish

i use a 158 gph pump into a 5 gallon bucket.you can use the goodyear hose with an end still on and hook up a water shut off valve.install the hose just like the one connecting to the res.then you can connect a complete hose to the other end of the shut off valve and hook up to a utility pump.

420ish

this is how i make all my barrels now.you could do the same thing in any of the buckets in your system and then hook a hose up to the shut off valve and connect that to a utility pump to pump out the system.i have three barrels like this with 55 gallons and no leaks.

Thanks for all your input guys! I went and bought a hand siphon pump and pumped it out by hand. It was a PITA because the hose that comes with it is packaged rolled in a loop which causes the hose to curl up, making it very frustrating to make the hose stay at the bottom of the bucket. And there were times when the hose was at the bottom but the output hose was curled up and facing toward me and it would blast me with the water, making a mess. I will be installing a drain circuit into my plumbing after my next harvest I guess I spent so much time pumping by hand I was too tired to go through and do the drain circuit. Lesson learned!

Also, I put a plant from my veg room into my flower room and I noticed there was a root ball about the size of a coconut sitting in the bottom ppk bucket. Apparently it grew out of the screen at the end of the tailpiece somehow

Here are pics of the big root ball.

Is that root ball an indication of anything going awry down the line? I'm going to drop a SCROG screen over it so I need to make sure I won't need to pull the SCROG screen off once I'm in flower. Hoping this root ball won't cause my tailpiece to clog or cause my plant to drown?

Mr Blah

Also, I put a plant from my veg room into my flower room and I noticed there was a root ball about the size of a coconut sitting in the bottom ppk bucket. Apparently it grew out of the screen at the end of the tailpiece somehow

Here are pics of the big root ball.

Is that root ball an indication of anything going awry down the line? I'm going to drop a SCROG screen over it so I need to make sure I won't need to pull the SCROG screen off once I'm in flower. Hoping this root ball won't cause my tailpiece to clog or cause my plant to drown?
How long did you veg?
Mine has grown down the pipe as well but found out when I vegged a long time without checking it would grow down. The potential for problems is much greater if it grows down the pipe. For me it would cause a plug and flood the room...or could.
I know check before I throw them into flower room. If I see roots just rip them out.
When I am cleaning the room after a cycle I notice they do come back but much smaller than if I would of left it from Vegging.
Hope that helps.:biggrin:

How long did you veg?
Mine has grown down the pipe as well but found out when I vegged a long time without checking it would grow down. The potential for problems is much greater if it grows down the pipe. For me it would cause a plug and flood the room...or could.
I know check before I throw them into flower room. If I see roots just rip them out.
When I am cleaning the room after a cycle I notice they do come back but much smaller than if I would of left it from Vegging.
Hope that helps.:biggrin:
Thanks Blah! she sprouted some time around end of may so shes been vegging around 3 months (a lot longer than planned). But for her first two weeks as a seedling she was stunted because she was too wet and i didnt realize it until two weeks as a seedling.

Should i take fiskars and just snip off the roots that are coming out the tailpiece? and just leave whatever root is inside the tailpiece? (i dont think i can take the screen off the botttom of the tailpiece without all the perlite falling out. If that happens, i dont think i can put perlite back in it without removing the plant from its container)

Earlmarne

Got my cloner up and running.
Been cleaning my veg , flower n lung rooms all week. Will be glad to see the coco go.
Now to build my intermediate veg system.
I got me a few totes and pumps and hose n crap.
Would love some insight and or direction if anyone could spare some?
I'm going to go hard on this build here over the next few weeks. Thank u all for all the help

Mr Blah

Thanks Blah! she sprouted some time around end of may so shes been vegging around 3 months (a lot longer than planned). But for her first two weeks as a seedling she was stunted because she was too wet and i didnt realize it until two weeks as a seedling.

Should i take fiskars and just snip off the roots that are coming out the tailpiece? and just leave whatever root is inside the tailpiece? (i dont think i can take the screen off the botttom of the tailpiece without all the perlite falling out. If that happens, i dont think i can put perlite back in it without removing the plant from its container)
Ya, 3 months is a long time and roots will eventually go down.
All I do is rip them off at the bottom of the screen. I too thought of taking off the screen but glad I didn't as it would be impossible to get it back on with perlite in the tube.
My thought is; if the roots hit the water than it grows like a motha. So I delay it as long as possible by ripping them out each time I check.