What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Something wicked this way comes

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i believe what earlmarne is saying is that he makes up a super concentrated solution thats pre dissolved into separate parts A and B and then uses that liquid to mix his tanks. i was doing the same thing for a while but now i just measured and kept track of how many scoops go into my res. i pour in X number of scoops, dissolve it for a few minutes and then add X amount of scoops of part B and my EC is always dead on and my ph at 5.8 and i havent looked back since!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
shit i read all the posts and got side tracked! i came in here to ask a question lol.

on the main rubber line whats the ID/ OD? i know in my notes i had seen 7/8" but im fairly certain thats the OD not the ID of the hose?

need to buy a bulk roll if anyone has a link to where they got theirs. im about to plumb two buildings with 12-16 sites each.

zeke99

Earl here are two definitive statements on mixing Jack's and Calcinit from D9, I defer to him:

hi, mixing equal weight is wrong. their instructions show several ways to mix it.

they recommend equal volume.

however, as snook mentioned, the best way to mix is by ec or ppm.

you also won't need any magnesium sulfate, the base formula has over 6% magnesium.

i'm going to assume that you don't have a meter and that's why you are talking about mixing by weight.

if you take a 1/4 teaspoon plus a 1/8 teaspoon of each, 3/8 teaspoon total of each, you will get approx 750 ppm or ec 1.5. this is per gallon.

if you do have a meter, you don't need to measure water volume.

600 ppm is 360 ppm jacks and 240 ppm calcinit 240/360=.67

750 ppm is 450 ppm jacks and 300 ppm calcinit 300/450=.67

900 ppm is 540 ppm jacks and 360 ppm calcinit 540/360=.67

i cannot imagine a situation where you will need a solution stronger than this.

i have grown a 22.5 oz plant in a 3.5 gal container of coco with 600 ppm for life with no displays or problems, no additives or boosters or even ph adjusters.

if you mix it properly you won't have any ph issues.

the ratio is 1/.67 jacks/calcinit

d9

hi, hg23!

it is a lot more accurate, i hit the numbers i want almost exactly every time.

it is easier and less time consuming as you don't need to know the water volume.

i mix in a clean container filled with ro water. i don't know the volume of water exactly.

i know the approx water level in my mixing container to add x tablespoons of jacks for my target ppm. i add that first, stir it in well and check ec. if it is too low you add more jacks at this time. if you have overshot you correct with more water.

stir well. i use a pump to recirculate and a boat paddle. you'll see a little white stuff in the bottom initially. that is the magnesium sulfate. it takes a little longer for it to dissolve.

after it has dissolved and your jacks ppm is correct add the calcinit.

again stir well and bring the ec up to the desired level.

always add the calcinit last. if you add more magnesium sulfate do it after the jacks and before the calcinit to avoid reactions.

i then pump this up into my volume tanks which feed my system.

the advantage to mixing a fresh batch in a separate container and then adding to existing solution is that you are adding a premixed, stable solution to a premixed, stable solution.

this does not allow reactions to take place that can occur with adding concentrated nutrients to a stable working strength solution.

zeke99

shit i read all the posts and got side tracked! i came in here to ask a question lol.

on the main rubber line whats the ID/ OD? i know in my notes i had seen 7/8" but im fairly certain thats the OD not the ID of the hose?

need to buy a bulk roll if anyone has a link to where they got theirs. im about to plumb two buildings with 12-16 sites each.

The Goodyear Garden hose is 5/8" ID & 7/8" OD

use a 13/16" step bit

Thirdtime

My mistake, everything i clicked on that page that said download wanted to install something, but I found the correct link. Thanks for putting it together

Desert Hydro

Veteran
My mistake, everything i clicked on that page that said download wanted to install something, but I found the correct link. Thanks for putting it together

jesus christ they make you go through a scavenger hunt just to find the link and download it. sneaky fucks trying to get you to download crap onto your pc lol.

thanks for the PDF! just found it as well

zeke99

yeah I tried a different site first and the download link was instantly broken. i just google "free file hosting" and don't do much investigation from there.

Earlmarne

Gunna start rounding up supplies.
Still on the fence on container size and need to re read some of this action on the float valve n stock or main res and res for topping it off.
Plumbing has always been a shortcoming of mine for sure. Fairly simple system but is intimidating to me.
Thinking may just copy d9s containers here with 7 g of medium and re think my flower into 3 k w 3 trees a month apart under a screen.
Idk. I like my 2 k vert system beyond running single ended bulbs and passive coco medium. Would be slick to run 5 ppks in there but it's already tight for floor space and I think horizontal lighting will be less work.
Probably going to have a ton more questions for you guys, thank you for all the insight

Earlmarne

For the intermediate ppk I am just recirculating a tub with a 185 eco ?
I see mention of a cloner also. I've had mediocre luck in the past with mini hempy perlite cloners.
Any leads on the specs for building these things?
I've been jamming through the dang 6 plant limit thread to no avail.

Smush

Hi delta9 and everyone. Major props on PPK. I'm a beginner hooked on reading about it.

Got a question for anyone that can possibly help me out - I'm trying to figure out some brand names for ordering some of the xlp perlite. I understand "xlp" is a Supreme Perlite brand name for extra coarse stuff. Can someone tell me if any of these are equivalent to the xlp perlite? It's for a 2" tailpiece. Are there any other brands you can recommend?

Mother Earth Coarse Grade Perlite - https://a.co/1jMwvfr
Mother Earth Perlite #3 - https://a.co/j1UzfFV
Mother Earth Perlite #4 - https://a.co/dd3w3tp

The #4 stuff is the biggest, but can it be too big?

Thanks a lot for the help! I'll definitely be reading along.

tilopa

Fascifuckinating!!!

Just finished reading this entire thread, spent the weekend reading Delta's other threads, must have spent 15 hours of solid reading. On friday I came to the forums looking for tips on a top drip-to-waste system I was planning on building, now I'm hooked on ppk.

When I stumbled onto ppk a couple days ago I had a million questions, now everything is illuminated, thanks to Delta and others with there generous advise and sharing of knowledge. Seriously thanks.

Trying to make some decisions with my situation:
- 10x10 flower room.
- 4x10 veg.
- 9 foot ceilings all around.
Was initially thinking I would do a ppk to waste just to simplify things a bit, meaning a central res pump to individual plant stations and have the bottom bucket go to waste - the floor of the shed I'm using is river rock with pea gravel underneath so draining straight on the floor is not a problem. Are there any real disadvantages to this other than it requires more time mixing nutes and more cost of nutes? Maybe at the end of the day it won't be that much simpler that a recirculating system.

But the main decision I'm pondering is how many plants to do. I'm coming from doing 9 plants in smart pots per 1k light in 4x4 tray so it is hard for me to wrap my head around 1 plant per light. Though I have seen the success of it from your pics Delta. Though your room has much more space to work with, and I guess my concern with having so few plants is if I fuck something up I could loose a significant percent of the total crop. Anyway, I was thinking maybe I could do 4 per light in 5 gallon buckets, does that seem like a good compromise? I could have 1 pulse res for each group of 4, and a control res outside the room, and volume res outside of the building in a small attached shed.
Or should I just go for it and do 1 plant per 1k DE light. By the way, do you think I could do that with only 9 foot ceilings?

Thanks in advance for any advice if you have time. And thanks again for all your generous knowledge sharing, it has truly been an inspiration for me.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Fascifuckinating!!!

Just finished reading this entire thread, spent the weekend reading Delta's other threads, must have spent 15 hours of solid reading. On friday I came to the forums looking for tips on a top drip-to-waste system I was planning on building, now I'm hooked on ppk.

When I stumbled onto ppk a couple days ago I had a million questions, now everything is illuminated, thanks to Delta and others with there generous advise and sharing of knowledge. Seriously thanks.

Trying to make some decisions with my situation:
- 10x10 flower room.
- 4x10 veg.
- 9 foot ceilings all around.
Was initially thinking I would do a ppk to waste just to simplify things a bit, meaning a central res pump to individual plant stations and have the bottom bucket go to waste - the floor of the shed I'm using is river rock with pea gravel underneath so draining straight on the floor is not a problem. Are there any real disadvantages to this other than it requires more time mixing nutes and more cost of nutes? Maybe at the end of the day it won't be that much simpler that a recirculating system.

But the main decision I'm pondering is how many plants to do. I'm coming from doing 9 plants in smart pots per 1k light in 4x4 tray so it is hard for me to wrap my head around 1 plant per light. Though I have seen the success of it from your pics Delta. Though your room has much more space to work with, and I guess my concern with having so few plants is if I fuck something up I could loose a significant percent of the total crop. Anyway, I was thinking maybe I could do 4 per light in 5 gallon buckets, does that seem like a good compromise? I could have 1 pulse res for each group of 4, and a control res outside the room, and volume res outside of the building in a small attached shed.
Or should I just go for it and do 1 plant per 1k DE light. By the way, do you think I could do that with only 9 foot ceilings?

Thanks in advance for any advice if you have time. And thanks again for all your generous knowledge sharing, it has truly been an inspiration for me.
i say one per light if you are doing the PPK route. SCROG them just like he does and keep them low as possible to stay out of the crazy intense section of the DE lighting. i will be running them on 8' ceilings. it can be done but you must scrog them low as possible or dim the lighting, or use super spreaders.

i would not suggest DTW in the PPK. kind of defeats the purpose of a self maintaining system. it works perfectly when done properly. my first run i did 4 plants and 5.25lbs with only 3600 w. nothing too crazy but it was great considering it was 4 plants in my spare room lol

My apologies for being a pain, but I just cant seem to sort this problem out.

Everytime I have grown in coco, I have ran into a magnesium deficiency. Where am I going wrong? I never had this problem in bubblers but I do understand coco holds onto a lot of magnesium.

I have used calmg but thought it makes the problem even worse because of the excess calcium. So instead I have now brought Epsom salts which I dissolve in hot water and feed at an EC of 0.2 before adding the rest of my feed. My PH stays between 6-6.5.

Do I need to feed a higher EC of the epsoms? It's definitely a magnesium deficiency the leaves are just a lot lighter in the veins compared to the rest. The plants have been in veg now for 4 weeks and are approx. 3ft tall and 3.5ft wide. Looking very good overall but the leaves closest to the lights just seem to be showing warning signs of a mag deficiency.

If anyone could please help shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are all well and God bless

tilopa

i say one per light if you are doing the PPK route. SCROG them just like he does and keep them low as possible to stay out of the crazy intense section of the DE lighting.

I think I will do 1 per light. Unfortunately my DE's are hoodless (it's the integrated unit like the Gavita), so I'll have to deal with the heat and keep enough distance from canopy.
Has anyone figured out how to do DE vertically? I think it can be done, you could have 2 wires holding the ends together and only blocking the light minimally.

My 10x10 foot rooms with 3000 watts and 4 plants are yielding 6 pounds on average now.

That is engouraging, especially for the wattage. Is there a reason you don't do 4k lights, 1K per plant? That is what I was planning on doing for the same size room.