What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Slownickel Organic Grow 2017

mapinguari

Veteran
I'm waiting to hear how you're gonna veg there, slow. Could it make sense to have a no-veg outdoor perpetual flower situation?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm waiting to hear how you're gonna veg there, slow. Could it make sense to have a no-veg outdoor perpetual flower situation?

Excellent point and one of my biggest concerns.

Apparently a small light bulb for half an hour at night disrupts the dark cycle. I already have an experiment going on that one.

Where I think there is a lot of room to play is with nitrates vs ammonia. If I grow out veg with nearly all nitrates, the plant will not flower as easily. Nitrate is the signal to veg. Ammonia and organic N is the signal to the plant to flower.

I am about to test some autoflower as well. Any opinions Mapi?

These trials I have to run against varieties.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've found once I go past 10-11% NH4 bad things happen veg or flower... in a peat based mix

Please explain your math and timing.... Ammonia without enough Mo can go toxic. It is called ammoniation.

Are you talking soil or hydro or coco or some hybrid mix?

gorilla ganja

Excellent point and one of my biggest concerns.

Apparently a small light bulb for half an hour at night disrupts the dark cycle. I already have an experiment going on that one.

Where I think there is a lot of room to play is with nitrates vs ammonia. If I grow out veg with nearly all nitrates, the plant will not flower as easily. Nitrate is the signal to veg. Ammonia and organic N is the signal to the plant to flower.

I am about to test some autoflower as well. Any opinions Mapi?

These trials I have to run against varieties.

Nitrates will delay flowering for sure. I have made the mistake up North by accident with disastrous results. Even last season experimenting with high fertilizer levels and autos, I delayed them.
It is a problem up here to have high nitrogen levels.
But would be a very interesting experiment to delay flowering on purpose down south with higher N levels.

Peace GG

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nitrates will delay flowering for sure. I have made the mistake up North by accident with disastrous results. Even last season experimenting with high fertilizer levels and autos, I delayed them.
It is a problem up here to have high nitrogen levels.
It would be a very interesting experiment to delay them on purpose down south with higher N levels.

Peace GG

GG,

The idea is not to push high N, the idea is to use a high Nitrate vs Ammonia or Organic Nitrogen. Not high N... I concur completely, and to quote Dr. Reams... Nitrogen is the enemy of Calcium.

:thank you:

MrBungle

The basic mix I've been using is peat, ewc, perlite, crushed oyster shell,and a few other goodies...

I was using ammonium sulfate @ .1 grams per gallon ( would bump my solution to 11% NH4 with the small amount of NH4 in CaNO3) as part of my base fertilizer solution, but found it would bottom out the media pH in flower..

. So I cut it out in flower and maintained it in veg... eventually it bottomed out my veg too... so now I add the ammonium sulfate every other feeding in veg.. and avoid it in flower all together unless I see pH skyrocketing up

Space Case

Veteran
The basic mix I've been using is peat, ewc, perlite, crushed oyster shell,and a few other goodies...

I was using ammonium sulfate @ .1 grams per gallon ( would bump my solution to 11% NH4 with the small amount of NH4 in CaNO3) as part of my base fertilizer solution, but found it would bottom out the media pH in flower..

. So I cut it out in flower and maintained it in veg... eventually it bottomed out my veg too... so now I add the ammonium sulfate every other feeding in veg.. and avoid it in flower all together unless I see pH skyrocketing up

I never feed Ammonium Sulfate in veg, and only in flower if they yellow a bit during and right after stretch period, and then never more than about 5ppm of additional NH4

Slipnot

Hey slow is this land in USA ??? and if its not how are you getting soil tests done because to my understanding .
No soil or earth of any kind is allowed into the United States without a permit issued in advance by USDA Plant Protection and Quarantine Permit Unit. and what i am seeing is soil tests done in USA
Just curious is all

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Mr. B,

How much ammonia is in your Cal Nitrate? You sure about that one? How did you come up with that number? You are not in a media with EWC mixed in, that is a hybrid soil. EWC is a humus source and is a very real contributor to the CEC. .

What is the pH of your water?

Personally I would stop using synthetic N after week 2 or so and start using all amino acids.

Many folk don't get enough Ca nor P into their soil early and as a result are forced to play catch up with N.

I didn't see any gypsum in your mix. Seems like you are using all carbonates for your calcium source. Without enough Ca in the system, it is hard to get the results that one hopes for....

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey slow is this land in USA ??? and if its not how are you getting soil tests done because to my understanding .
No soil or earth of any kind is allowed into the United States without a permit issued in advance by USDA Plant Protection and Quarantine Permit Unit. and what i am seeing is soil tests done in USA
Just curious is all

Slipster,

No, the land is in Peru.

The permits from USDA APHIS are in place by the lab. Most decent US labs can take soil from any where on the planet if they have their protocol in place.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never feed Ammonium Sulfate in veg, and only in flower if they yellow a bit during and right after stretch period, and then never more than about 5ppm of additional NH4

Personally I run a nitrate/ammonia ratio on my fields. I vary the ratio depending on where I am in the plants cycle...

Were you monitoring the pH of your mixes when you were running all that nitrate in veg? Or was part of your program aminos and teas?

MrBungle

every time I add gypsum I run into issues, I just recently tried it again after reading the threads :D ....

Yara Cal nitrate is 14.4% NO3 and 1.1% NH4 according to the labels on my jars

I used Amm Sulf cause thats what I had... just recently got my hands on MAP... I also have some aminos I have to dig up..

my tap water pH is high around 8.. but it doesn't really affect my media pH in my observations

Space Case

Veteran
Yara Calnit, which is the most common and cheapest brand of Calcium Nitrate for most of us in the US, has something like 1.5% NH4, naturally occurring from the Norwegian mines. They don't bother refining it out, which is why it is cheaper.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
every time I add gypsum I run into issues, I just recently tried it again after reading the threads :D ....

Yara Cal nitrate is 14.4% NO3 and 1.1% NH4 according to the labels on my jars

I used Amm Sulf cause thats what I had... just recently got my hands on MAP... I also have some aminos I have to dig up..

my tap water pH is high around 8.. but it doesn't really affect my media pH in my observations

Mr B,

What kind of issues do you see? I had an asparagus grower here in Peru that said the same thing. We finally sent a sample of that gypsum to the lab and found that it had more sodium than it did calcium. When he finally got a good source, the results were amazing.

With that said, if you have an extremely porous medium, you may be washing everything out with your dosis of gypsum. Or you may have a metal issue like Zn, Mn or Cu which is disappearing with the Ca.

Please continue. Photos? Analysis maybe?

Slipnot

i add this to the fields every so often 80 lb sacks and look the hell out

hydrated double salt 5Ca(NO3)2 ·NH4NO3 ·10H2O.