What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Sensi Seeds NL

Budget Buds

Grew a fem 3-pack last summer, they were not half bad, no idea if close to the orignal

#1 mild piney/earthy aroma
full

full

full

full

#2 stronger smell, peppery, earthy, floral, notes of fruit
full

full

full

full

#3 mild again, earthy/spicy
full

full

full

full
The leaf and bud structure looks pretty on point to what I had from peak, sos had a broader leaf but was also good. Killer plants mate , Thank you for the contribution :)

Carraxe

Veteran
Sensi was the shit in the 90s but they have been living on their past history for more than 20 years. They are the seedbank I would never recommend.

I have some of their cuts from the 90s and they are the shit. That's why everybody knows what a Jack Herer or a Black Domina is. But anything me of my friends grew out of Sensi's seeds in the last 20 years was overpriced garbage, no exception.

Best Northern Lights I had came from 1999/2000 Dutch Passion seeds, if I remember correctly. They called it Oasis. I've been testing several NLs from different banks, including Sensi, with bad results due to bad genetics.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Sensi was the shit in the 90s but they have been living on their past history for more than 20 years. They are the seedbank I would never recommend.

I have some of their cuts from the 90s and they are the shit. That's why everybody knows what a Jack Herer or a Black Domina is. But anything me of my friends grew out of Sensi's seeds in the last 20 years was overpriced garbage, no exception.

Best Northern Lights I had came from 1999/2000 Dutch Passion seeds, if I remember correctly. They called it Oasis. I've been testing several NLs from different banks, including Sensi, with bad results due to bad genetics.
That's pretty much my experience with them as well, in the 90's they had some of the best seeds available , my last grow with Sensi Seeds was in 07 with Sensi Skunk and California Indica. The Skunks gave me decent buds but each plant was different and I was not used to so much variations in their Skunk lines, the CI were terribly lacking indica, the plants were flowered at 20/25cm high, and ended at 150cm, a x7 growth for this cross was out of place. The buds were decent smoke, not bad , not great, I had a freebee in this grow who made better buds to smoke. I have not grown anything from them since this grow because I've found other seed producers with great offerings.

Carraxe

Veteran
Yes, the history of their destruction comes from the times they lost their genetic heritage. There is info around this forum from several years ago, just look for it. The law changed in the Netherlands and several seedbanks lost everything they had.

The problem is that Sensi sold different low quality seeds with the same names of the good strains they had originally. That credited them as a bunch of amoral fraudster.

In my innocence, I though that after 20 years after the lost of the genetics, they could have their genetics rebuilt. So I bought some of their genetics. They did not rebuild anything, and the first clue while growing them was that, both the pure indicas and pure sativas, had the shape of irregularly mixed hybrids.

The seeds were fake and only the newbies or people who had never grown their gear though that they weren't that bad. But they aren't even a shadow of what they were in the 90s.

Anyway, go ahead with these seeds and tell us what you find. Maybe they copied some real Northern from elsewhere.

Cheers

kro-magnon

Veteran
Yes, the history of their destruction comes from the times they lost their genetic heritage. There is info around this forum from several years ago, just look for it. The law changed in the Netherlands and several seedbanks lost everything they had.

The problem is that Sensi sold different low quality seeds with the same names of the good strains they had originally. That credited them as a bunch of amoral fraudster.

In my innocence, I though that after 20 years after the lost of the genetics, they could have their genetics rebuilt. So I bought some of their genetics. They did not rebuild anything, and the first clue while growing them was that, both the pure indicas and pure sativas, had the shape of irregularly mixed hybrids.

The seeds were fake and only the newbies or people who had never grown their gear though that they weren't that bad. But they aren't even a shadow of what they were in the 90s.

Anyway, go ahead with these seeds and tell us what you find. Maybe they copied some real Northern from elsewhere.

Cheers
To be honest the NL shown by @JustGrowing420 and @Dime look like decent plants, I have never grown any pure NL seeds so I can't tell if they look different than the old ones. A friend had a NL keeper in 95 who didn't make the same flowers than the ones pictured there but I only smoked this plant in the 90's not grown it.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview

Cheers
When they lost their genetic library ?
Shure they lost all and you have some orginals from 90s hahahah nice joke mate.
Walkman was also shit in 90's Nintendo and Super Mario too...🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
You were totally correct in choosing Sensi for your Northern Lights. They are going to be the _only_ ones who have even a _chance_ of being the true genetics, because every other seed vendor is full of bullshit stories that you just can't believe.

If I were in your situation, I'm not sure what I would do because Mike from PeakBC seeds no longer sells seeds and Sensi does not sell non-feminized NL here in the States.

From my first post here on ICM:

"That's when I realized I had reverse engineered Northern Lights.

I want to say again that I have much, _much_ respect for the creator of Northern Lights, NL Seattle Greg. I have read everything I can find that he has posted online and I totally understand why Northern Lights is the legend it is. A Viet Nam vet who developed it for over fifteen years before Nevil even heard of it. He worked it because he _needed_ it for PTSD. Without even being aware of NL Seattle Greg's existence, I have followed a similar path. Much respect to Nevil Schoenmaker for taking the work of NL Seattle Greg and further developing Northern Lights to refine and standardize it into a monumental, foundational developmental stock of cannabis. Respect to Ben Dronkers for further refining and sustaining Northern Lights and keeping the genotype intact until I could purchase it in 2000.

When I received the mail from Gypsy Nirvana in 2000, I had been cultivating cannabis indoors for almost 15 years and outdoors for almost 30. Standing there looking at the three genotypes of cannabis that came together to form Northern Lights made me wonder, how many other people had worked with just one type of cannabis for almost 20 years?"

This thread will tell you probably more than you want to know:

If after reading that thread you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help.
Weren't you butting heads with me for months because I said Nevil Nevil never released pure NL5 because the only NL5 seeds he got were 5x2?
And now you have a whole thread saying its 5x2.
Well, thanks for coming around and for taking so much time and effort to make a whole thread straightening out the whole story. Thats a lot of research - much respect

smile

Budget Buds, CSI Humboldt did a big preservation project a few years ago using original Seattle Greg NL. Think I remember seeing S1 NL seeds on their website a while back.

I would take a look there, as they were serious about preserving the NL, and were working with the original source genetics.

Hope this helps.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Budget Buds, CSI Humboldt did a big preservation project a few years ago using original Seattle Greg NL. Think I remember seeing S1 NL seeds on their website a while back.

I would take a look there, as they were serious about preserving the NL, and were working with the original source genetics.

Hope this helps.
If CSI Humboldt has some NL for sale he is the one who will deliver the real deal today, all his lines are legit and confirmed by people who know the originals.

Carraxe

Veteran
When they lost their genetic library ?
Shure they lost all and you have some orginals from 90s hahahah nice joke mate.
Walkman was also shit in 90's Nintendo and Super Mario too...🤣🤣🤣

Yes, I keep several strains from the 90s, and their origin has been meticulously registered decades ago in Spanish forums. Have a look on my threads. I keep a Jack Herer and a Black Domina ('98 cut). There are plenty of reasons to keep them.

You can also look for info on Sensi, there is plenty of info here about their decay, with a lot of personal testimonies.

It always impresses me when somebody brags on his ignorance. You can read some links in this forum, it will make you wiser. But just acting less stupid would be enough.

Go read, it will do you good.

goingrey

Yes, I keep several strains from the 90s, and their origin has been meticulously registered decades ago in Spanish forums. Have a look on my threads. I keep a Jack Herer and a Black Domina ('98 cut). There are plenty of reasons to keep them.

You can also look for info on Sensi, there is plenty of info here about their decay, with a lot of personal testimonies.

It always impresses me when somebody brags on his ignorance. You can read some links in this forum, it will make you wiser. But just acting less stupid would be enough.

More people talking out of their ass and repeating what others have said than personal testimonies really. Reading that Spanish forum nonsense and their "historical facts" will make you dumber not wiser I'd wager. And like Guy Brush's experience with runts and non-germinating seeds sounds more like old seeds than any kind of proof of a genetic change.

kro-magnon

Veteran
More people talking out of their ass and repeating what others have said than personal testimonies really. Reading that Spanish forum nonsense and their "historical facts" will make you dumber not wiser I'd wager. And like Guy Brush's experience with runts and non-germinating seeds sounds more like old seeds than any kind of proof of a genetic change.
I had my first pack of Sensi Seeds in 96, went to Amsterdam to buy it and I've witnessed the quality of Sensi Seeds lower drasticly after the law changed in 98, my own personal experience not a borrow one or made on recent Sensi Seeds like some here;

Carraxe

Veteran
Well, the best is to have personal experiences, that I already have. If somebody wants to get their own bad experiences, they are free to keep deaf and blind to all bad experiences Sensi has provided.

I doubt very much you have read anything from the forums I write and read, where I know people in person.

I have also grown a lot of their modern and old gear, so I can talk with experience and knowledge.

But you can show your ignorance as much as you feel you should.

Cheers

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview

I grew 100s Sensi Seeds in last year I dont need to look on yours pictures...have a good day. 😉

goingrey

I had my first pack of Sensi Seeds in 96, went to Amsterdam to buy it and I've witnessed the quality of Sensi Seeds lower drasticly after the law changed in 98, my own personal experience not a borrow one or made on recent Sensi Seeds like some here;
I'll be sure to avoid any 1998 stock I come across.