What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Not bieng funny mk, but just eb's climate alone means ohaze or at least full blood nld is probably on the menu quite often.

Plus where did you get one in six from, is that 12%. Tom said 5% were good, sam says only the long flowering plants. Is this under sun, sodium or mh, maybe mixed spectrum?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
G `day Sam

I think the more pertinent question is what did you sell to Nevil .
That`s the stuff that has kept Haze in vogue .

If not for the hybrids NL#5 x Hz C Haze then Jack Herer , SSH .
Haze would probably have gone the same way as RKS .

Those 2 males that he called Haze A and Haze C ,they produce distinctly different off spring .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hello Elmer, in my opinion, either they were VERY different phenotypes, or they were crosses,remember that haze B (for years the alleged mother of nina, but this is another story) is described as a hybrid ...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Not bieng funny mk, but just eb's climate alone means ohaze or at least full blood nld is probably on the menu quite often.
but you are very funny. climate is the same as for Bushweed for example, who grew original haze, he got via Heirloomgrower and Kaiki, and he said its superior to neville´s haze.. he grew tons of NH if its known to me... let EB speaks for himself please, it seems he wants to discuss it very hard :D LOL but of course without him growing many original haze plants, it will be even harder.. I cant wait to see his great pics of OH. thanks.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Plus where did you get one in six from, is that 12%. Tom said 5% were good, sam says only the long flowering plants. Is this under sun, sodium or mh, maybe mixed spectrum?
after you will grow it on larger scale, we can discuss it.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I have totally opposite experience than EB. NL5haze is diluted and fake haze imo.. pertinent question would be how many OH females did EB grow? :D I will try to grow vintage neville´s haze this year next to tom hill haze and I let you know dudes, what is better, as far as cerebral and no ceiling qualities regarding. and from my experience is every 6th female of thh outstanding.. so 12 girls dont seem too many.. but anyway, good luck Mac.

G `day MK

Haven`t grown any O Haze .
Grown OHaze / skunk . Nevil`s Hz , Thai .

The folks who smoke my stuff come back for more . I give them what they want . That dictates ...

I know that when I smoked the brick in Thailand by the time I arrived back home I missed the hybrids . I have a lot of nervous energy . I like the bass with the treble .

That doesn`t change the fact that it is like I said the 2 males that have created the legend .
How many times did an OHaze win the cup in Amsterdam ?
The cups were huge as far as marketing . Folks bought the cup winners in the coffee shops and bought those seeds and grew them .

I have a bunch of Tom Hill crosses from Mad Mac I will get to in the near future .
I enjoy strong Indicas and hash late in the evening as well .
Smokin ECSD x Nevil`s hz Bx right now .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Hi! EB. bro please grow some. tom hill haze crosses is still not same as thh line, you know it better than me. of course, people are different. Nl5haze is commercial and huge yielding while inbred OH is not. but really believe me, taste and high is better.. but that was said by Sam already. so this post is pleonasms. if the vintage neville´s hz will be better than haze cuts I have, I will say it. Im not fanboy of anybody. cheers.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
definitely no frankincense in thh.. there are more types of incense smell in haze though. Tom Hill selected for thai leaning phenos according to his words if I remember it well. but question is if there is some thai in positronics ohaze.. good question for SamtheSkunkman, I think.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Bluehemp had a Positronics Haze hybrid for sale.

Attachments

• 20190306_143231.jpg
    20190306_143231.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 27

OldCoolSativa

sooo in the meantime i got some Tom Hill Haze beans... and voila ...
... now i have here 25 THH... 13 males and 12 girls...

Wow...I only find males in 15-20% of the Colombian (punto rojo and PR x mangobiche) landrace seeds I've popped. That tells me that THH is now many generations removed from the haze archetype plants that were grown out, presumably in the 1960s, because there has obviously been a lot of selection for sexual stability if you're getting half males.

G `day Sam

I think the more pertinent question is what did you sell to Nevil?

I'd be interested to know the answer to that. Nevil has said that some of the haze seeds he bought were labelled 1969, 14 years old at the time. Despite the stories that the first haze plants were of Colombian origin and that Thai was crossed later, people describe Haze C leaning plants as having similar structure, aromas and effects as Thai. Were Thai genetics in haze as early as 1969?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Wow...I only find males in 15-20% of the Colombian (punto rojo and PR x mangobiche) landrace seeds I've popped. That tells me that THH is now many generations removed from the haze archetype plants that were grown out, presumably in the 1960s, because there has obviously been a lot of selection for sexual stability if you're getting half males.

I'd be interested to know the answer to that. Nevil has said that some of the haze seeds he bought were labelled 1969, 14 years old at the time. Despite the stories that the first haze plants were of Colombian origin and that Thai was crossed later, people describe Haze C leaning plants as having similar structure, aromas and effects as Thai. Were Thai genetics in haze as early as 1969?

Did the haze exist in 1969 - the seeds were stored optimally to sprout after so many years? Or maybe things went a little differently? After so many years the memories do not correspond totally to reality ...
(different things happened in my adolescence did not go as I remembered ...):biggrin:

bigherb

Veteran

No Sams said he gave them seeds in 72 and later off the stick Gold thai Aka Laos in 76 . R.L was the only one to cross the Thai and S.Indian . Sams says most OHaze is pure Colombian

The exact quotes are in this thread

1luvbigherb

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
picture.php

Pretty sure its well established they used multiple sources of columbian.... everything else came later from OTHER people.
Most people seem to agree that Thai or columbian was the best back in the day.... but most stories of Thai being anything special was when it got grown properly in Hawaii or shipments off the boat from "thai".

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of haze just being columbian... Its something that was sifted in a huge population that I wont be able to "beat" in my little 10-20 seed sifts... So I respect it.

To me it sounds like a columbian project happened next door to Sam.... and he basically mixed a Mexican to speed/fatten the columbian... Found a Gem then worked in Afghani to make it a universally useable strain worldwide aka Skunk1.. The haze itself didn't need any work... Just sift and the gems are there... Most people will find and keep the Good phenos but the gems are always rare like anything in life... common is the majority, rare is the minority. Plus Sam already knowing what Thai/Indian smoke was like, the columbian had to be special...

I just started some South Indian, and Mangobiche... I wanna get some Punto rojo, and other columbians to play with.. Its hard when you have no income thankfully for giving people I even have the Kerala/Mangobiche, and the keeper hazes I have.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Question:Did other haze lines exist besides the Haze Bros lines? Let me explain: could it be, as mentioned at the beginning, that there were several haze lines? Maybe it was a trade name like mullumbimby madness, or kush, or many others ....

Raho

Veteran
"oHaze" by itself is Colombian to me.

The taste and effects, just like the first time I got high in 78.

No mistaking it. We smoked mostly Colombo for ~3 years before the local product took over. Bag after bag after bag.

Occasional Mexican, Panama and Jamaican thrown in, and lots of crappy Lebanese hash that barely got you high.
Everything got better when I started growing, but when I started smoking a lot of haze, it took me all the way back to the 70's.

Of course there are endless "versions" out there now, and even when Sam showed up in europe with the seeds, there was variety.
He claims the boys crossed in some gear he provided at some point . . . sure, why not? I believe it.
But, the foundation of the line is from Colombia.
Tom's, Seedsman, TFD, Posi, OT haze, Haze A and C crosses. A freaking rainbow.

I can understand trying to re-capture something you had before, but sometimes people quest for something they've never had, only read about it , described by someone else who has no context to compare it to it's origins.

Where do these lines come from?

The guys that brought it in often lied about where it came from. The dealers gave it street names that had nothing to do with anything. The kids who grew the seeds gave the plant their own name because "I made that."
Some breeder gets hold of a bag and likes it/finds a seed. Makes more and changes the name AGAIN, then takes it across the world with a fantastic story to sell a bag of magic beans to someone else.

This is the story of pedigrees in 40 years of western black market genetics.

Most of those origin quests are doomed to fail.

Could be they found it on the first seed they popped, the first bud they bought, and didn't realize that was what the "guy" described when he wrote about what inspired them.

Seedsman oHaze and haze C offspring seem very similar to me. "Dutch Haze" is the Colombian.
Haze A offspring are definitely have something different in the mix. What it is? I don't know. I have theories.

Tom selected for "Thai" phenos from Posi stock?
OK I guess. I've got THH seeds but haven't run them yet so I have no opinion. Was Posi different from Seedsman oHaze? I thought they were the same.

I haven't had anything like real Thai since I grew it in 81 and carried a QP of loose Chocolate Thai home in my checked bag from NorCal in 85 (except Mullum.)
I've got some great seeds that I'll grow one of these days. I know/knew the people that sourced it.
But unless you can tell me your story about the Thai you smoked back in the day, I have no idea if what you know as "Thai" is anything at all like what came out of that country when the legends were made. That's the problem.

Go back 8-10 years.
The myth about Haze was that "it" was a 4 way cross.

People running the plants were convinced "Oh yeah, I only keep the Thai phenos" or "Those foxtails . . . must be a Mex leaner . . . "
Lord, the endless laughs Sam must have had reading all these delusions.

Then it comes out, "Yeah, the pure was punto rojo . . . some of the later seeds had kerala and/or thai mixed in" but no indication, no clue about which line available where is which.
We are left to figure it out ourselves.
Sam leaves it to us. Haze is Haze. Figure it out yourselves, I will sit back here and enjoy the show watching people who have never smoked the ingredients that made the crosses try to explain why they believe one or another pheno represent a part of the original stock.

It's cheaper than netflix I guess.

Come on Sam.

You've smoked Nevil's lines made with haze A and C.

You know all the inputs to the original base and hybrid lines.
I know you don't want to do any favors for the people that made money off those seeds you brought to them, but do it for us, please?

What is the source of the difference in haze A?

If you put the mystery to rest, one of the people spending time pointlessly thinking about it might redirect their energy to other things and cure cancer, herpes, or obesity. Maybe they'll hug their kids 2 more times a day or tell their wife they love her.

YOU could make that happen!

Thanks man.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
There was something like colombian blue sky? I remember reading something similar in an article by DjShort, about a Thai cultivated in the Colombian hills, maybe something has to do...

Latest posts

Latest posts