What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Raho

Veteran
There was something like colombian blue sky? I remember reading something similar in an article by DjShort, about a Thai cultivated in the Colombian hills, maybe something has to do...
Breadcrumbs leading nowhere Willy.
"Highland" this "Juicyfruit" that.
Come on.

Nothing written by DJ is gonna be the decoder ring to unravel Sam's secrets.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Breadcrumbs leading nowhere Willy.
"Highland" this "Juicyfruit" that.
Come on.

Nothing written by DJ is gonna be the decoder ring to unravel Sam's secrets.

I had this memory in mind ... after all, many like me are based on things read on the web, I was born in 1983, I can talk just about the classics of the late 90s because they are the only ones I saw live .... :)

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
picture.php

Random photo of Punto Rojo on google images

My keeper haze on test run {12/12 from seed poor medium/environment}
picture.php

Im sure you can find a picture of Kerala... African... Thai.... etc that look same tho... Terps mon be da key

I'd like to know what sam thinks of this pheno

bigherb

Veteran
Raho

Great post brother

You summed it up . I don’t have to really add to it

But I will say , OHaze had four main phenos those mentioned on the poster . But there were many different phenos and each year one would standout commonly volunteers

As for Nevils stock I’d love to hear specifics from Sams but I don’t think we will / he can recall exactly what He gave Nevil . Nevil is either a great story teller or has a amazing recollection, I think both

My thoughts are two things ,

1- Nevil was given burning bush stock
2- Nevil received 76 OHaze Stock

Far out I never mentioned but Nevil admitted he was given clones from Sams . Is it possible he used those and just made the rest up ???

The possible reason Thai phenos might be present , also EB can touch on it . NL5 had some Thai in there if I recall correctly which might be expressed when crossed to HzC

I could go on but I would be repeating myself, all of Nevil and Sams post on this topic I’ve reposted and they are still up in the net

1luvbigherb

Breadwizard

I've read that the "Thai" in NL5 was actually Hawaiian (in the NL thread) and actually about 25% as Seattle Greg had sent the Afghan seeds to his friend in Hawaii, where it was crossed to some local sativa there and sent back to Seattle, where it was back crossed to the original Afghan stock.

Raho

Veteran
Raho

Great post brother

But I will say , OHaze had four main phenos those mentioned on the poster . But there were many different phenos and each year one would standout commonly volunteers

As for Nevils stock I’d love to hear specifics from Sams but I don’t think we will / he can recall exactly what He gave Nevil . Nevil is either a great story teller or has a amazing recollection, I think both

Far out I never mentioned but Nevil admitted he was given clones from Sams . Is it possible he used those and just made the rest up ???

The possible reason Thai phenos might be present , also EB can touch on it . NL5 had some Thai in there if I recall correctly which might be expressed when crossed to HzC

I could go on but I would be repeating myself, all of Nevil and Sams post on this topic I’ve reposted and they are still up in the net

1luvbigherb
Yes. That Burning Bush reference :tiphat:

Something Nev certainly mentioned and maybe fixated on.

To me, the difference in terps of haze A seem like African influence, and Burning Bush seems like a good name for a cross like that.

Gotta say, I'm grateful to Sam for saving the haze by putting it out there with great marketing behind it so long ago.

And Nev did his part, making hybrids that could actually finish 15 degrees+ away from the equator. Otherwise, it would just be another lost killer sativa legend.

Cheers to ALL the people responsible for the lines we have today.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have grown up going to Holland hundreds of times and have always wondered why ive never seen Sams Haze for sale and only Neville 's X's .
This is why i give so much credit to Neville. I also bought original Haze seeds from flying Dutchman in 2001 and also made F2's and many hybrids with it back then and still didnt find anything better than Nevil Haze and the other famous cuts NL5 Haze A,C also HPH and the AG13 .
Where are all the famous Haze cuts that Sam or anyone else has made with Sams original Haze ?.
Like i said earlier i been to Amsterdam more than most and hunted out those Hazes and the best to be found is from the Haze king Neville Schoenmakers

Peace

Last edited:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Or just made a hybrid and hybrid vigour and bld traits on a nld frame is easy to put into a market. There was pureish haze in homegrown fantasy in 05/06, but i have seen nevs done commercially for profit, both the standard back in the day and female seeds hybrid, because hybrids make return on investment and pure blood hazes eat time and money in return for unsaleable product in a market owned by bld since the 80's. Nevs haze has always been more accessible, the dutch haze was shit since i was a kid because you had to breed large scale under lights in a prohibited market, and people didnt. Nevs haze was maintained in meristematic form all these years by shanti, cant do that with an open pollinated seedline.

But we all know that nothing beats the high of a well grown wisp.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Raho

Great post brother

1luvbigherb

Hi BH,

TBH i have no clue baout the whole story, barely looking at it from a distance, but i thought something similar not so long ago...what if neville only had access to a couple of haze cuts...then maybe his neville haze was just a way to get haze in seed form.

I mean maybe he did cross haze to nl, then took the most haze plants from that progeny to bx them to the pure haze clones.Then he inbreed the line always using the most hazy individuals or even bx them more...and tadam: original haze in seed form.

Could that explain all those differences beetwen the pure haze on the market?

But in the end it doesn't matter that much, i guess. What matters is to do so that we don't loose what we've got thanks to all those pioneers. Here lies the value, heirloom. :)

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neville lucky lol
No it is becuase he did the most work with Haze thats why his cuts and seeds were and are the best Haze that has ever been available.

Peace

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Neville lucky lol
No it is becuase he did the most work with Haze thats why his cuts and seeds were and are the best Haze that has ever been available.

Peace

I agree from a production standpoint but as a consumer, man i dont want Afghan in my haze, if i do i want it to be deep chunk.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neville work has been raped by every company out there and 80% plus of every Haze we have worldwide is from Neville work.
Dont get me wrong credit to Sam for blessing( selling him those seeds in the 80's) but if it was not for Neville we wouldnt even have Haze now.
How many Haze's have you seen come from USA pre Neville or Sam Skunkman? Very few if any and again do they hold up to Neville's best Haze ?.
Most you guys not even sampled Neville's best Haze because his best he kept real close and most only smoked what he put through the Greenhouse Coffeshops up until 2001 before he skipped town.

Peace

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Well maybe now with all this steam we can get some traction and bring the real good shit to the table again. I want to smoke them all like pokemon mate, times running out.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I know I haven't smoked the best nevilles haze, would love to as well. It goes back to nevilles quote for his haze selections, he went through thousands of plants to select his a5 and c5 plants correct? His job was to make packs that gave people keepers so that whoever paid him got what they paid for. If someone starts with great genetics and then sifts through thousands of plants to find the best and make seed lots from those best plants they deserve their money for the time and space it takes to do such things. I honestly don't know how Sam is able to wholesale his seeds for such a cheap price as I believe he did a decent amount of work to find the selections he used for his parents, but bless him for doing so.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
I want some proper haze seeds for indoors, what would you guys recommend?
Cheers

Tom Hill Haze... if you prefer pure haze...
O-Haze is only available from seedsman as repro...
not easy to find a keeper
Nevilles Haze if the two above are unavailable...

have grow'n them all and to me THH is the best indoor haze.
M.:tiphat:

bigherb

Veteran
Are we gonna beat a dead horse

We can repost repeat rinse and dry

My opinion from info I received and info posted . A lot of minor notes I was told that make sense and add more doubt to other stories

Thing is this from my source second hand info from G . Sams didn’t get seeds from G .
R.L n J Sams has always spoke of . G and J are two different people R.L and G where not partners till a year or soo after he first made the Haze.

I assume Sams got his seeds from R.L .
R.L did get stock from G and The 69 stock was an abundance of seeds used for the duration of Haze legacy. Soo low germ rates are possible in 84 Because I’d assume the seeds weren’t well kept . But it blows my mind only 7 seeds germed out of thousands . With that said the dates of Haze stock from 70 71 72 Etc Seems like BS . Because G said that he used the same seeds stock for 10 years . I was told volunteers popped up , I assume seeds might have been made again from 70-80 . But story goes the same stock was used for the duration

If it was actually thousands of seeds Sams sold Nevil , I’d assume they were not all 69 stock .

Not trying to discredit anyone

Read my first post OHaze where is she , Nothing reminiscent or standout of a amazing Haze did I experience in Amsterdam. Why is great OHaze not more commonly held as cuts or in Coffeshops . I understand Now , but it still baffles me

Nevil put out great strains but , more than half of his catalog is Sams work . Those not from Sams are champion cuts Hp G13 NL5 . How could you not get something special from two special parents ?

1luvbigherb

JetLife175

Veteran
I agree from a production standpoint but as a consumer, man i dont want Afghan in my haze, if i do i want it to be deep chunk.

I believe Neville used the nl5 in the Nevs to make it more suitable to indoor growing. They way he selected the line you don’t get much influence at all from it, only in structure and to shorten flowering times a bit. Neville did proper line breeding. A concept that’s long lost and most don’t understand these days. It was honestly genius of him to breed the nl into nevs because it made it easier to select the proper phenotypes down the road...

Latest posts

Latest posts