What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe Jah Green Labels 1972 Colombian Gold is pre thai stick invasion.

Other than the one link I do not see any info of Crosby saving heirlooms. I do know he continues to vape pot and wants to have a cannabis business of some kind. I know of no way to contact him as of yet. I am sure he has contacts to old heirlooms if anyone would. He was the go to guy back in sixties for quality pot. Hope he saved some early Mexican lines.

The '72 Colombian Gold is a old style sativa, wispy buds and thin leaves. In a short while the buds were more dense. I grew several '72 CG and smoked 3 different Colombians during the late seventies so not an expert but did see enough to form an opinion. If Thai or Afghan was crossed no idea. I recall that Colombian had South East Asian roots of lineage rather than being thought to be crossed with it.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Anyone know where to find some sams haze x skunk cross?
I intended to grab s couple couple packs when chimera was selling them. Really regret not grabbing them, i figured they would always be around.

I grabbed packs of thunk and haze x skunk about a month ago from realgorilla.

They tossed in a free pack of burmese x a5. Which are already a few inches tall.

bigherb

Veteran
The OTH being related to Colombian is no surprise, IMO I believe Old timers Haze is from Santa Cruz Haze stock . The four phenos of Original Haze were the common ones but it was never worked soo each year different phenos popped up .

In all my research there are some many similarities between Santa Cruz Haze and old timers haze . Just as much Soo as Punto Rojo and Santa Cruz Haze

I’ve spoke in-depth with Charlie Garcia about Colombian genetics and in my research and of old ic/ mns convo the Colombian strains of yesteryear were not labeled in Colombia as they were here in the stated . Soo what I’m saying is I agree there could be different Colombian’s golds and reds ETC same name different strain .

I’m not 100% sure of phylos accuracy or layout. What is confusing to me is the distant relatives .one variety which we know to be NLD or sativa then has other varieties which we would consider NLD/ sativa as distant relatives when I would expect to see more of BLD as the distant relatives. Also Colombian Gold has other Colombian gold as closest relatives and then distant varieties at the same time .

I am disappointed that at this point there is not more or all of the popular strains in the galaxy aswell as a more definitive layout

Another interesting note is Phylos A5 / dominican Haze piff , Are related Soo we know the HZA genetics come from Sams . But I’m curious too see Sams Original Haze relatives , why has he not had his Haze stock tested nor anyone else sent in Original Haze ???

1luvbigherb

MadMac

far beyond driven...
But I’m curious too see Sams Original Haze relatives , why has he not had his Haze stock tested nor anyone else sent in Original Haze ???

that my question since beginning of the phylos...
why is there no o-haze?

thx for bringing it up... :)
M.:tiphat:

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I was born in S. San Francisco in the mid eighties. Left about 2000, moved again for school. I wonder how similar those you saw from the 70s are to what is available today.

Some of the best weed I have ever scored, came from a pot store in San Francisco in 1976. It was called Big Top Imports. It was run by my old deceased buddy Dennis Peron. He was paying off the Police,but they finally busted him anyway, and shot him.

There were giant woven baskets, and bowls of Columbian Gold, Columbian Red, and sweet fresh Thai Sticks. But the best of all was the Cambodian Red. It had a very classy Incense perfume smell in the smoke, like the most beautiful woman in the world would wear. I've never found that terpene profile since

Still looking......

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Most of that hit Vancouver too, 1975-1977. Before that, it was great import hash only mainly. I recall my Dad's connections and weed, all those and many more. The golden era of import weed.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Most of that hit Vancouver too, 1975-1977. Before that, it was great import hash only mainly. I recall my Dad's connections and weed, all those and many more. The golden era of import weed.

You are correct. We had blonde hash, red Hash, Black hash, The blonde was about 5 bucks a gram. The black was far more powerful and went for 8 bucks. Comparasan due to inflation is probably 35 a gram now.

We were also buying Hawaiian weed by the gram

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day HMK

I saw a study by RCC about Morocco .
Ave THC of heirloom hash plants 5% THC !! Now using Fem Spanish seed 20 % THC ...

I smoked a couple of blocks of culero in Spain .
Need a cpl of beers with it to get a decent buzz on .

Nepalese , Afghani ,Paki all waaay stronger . My home made bubble leaves them in the shade . Though the Nepalese had a buzz that I really enjoyed .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

bigherb

Veteran
Some of the best weed I have ever scored, came from a pot store in San Francisco in 1976. It was called Big Top Imports. It was run by my old deceased buddy Dennis Peron. He was paying off the Police,but they finally busted him anyway, and shot him.

There were giant woven baskets, and bowls of Columbian Gold, Columbian Red, and sweet fresh Thai Sticks. But the best of all was the Cambodian Red. It had a very classy Incense perfume smell in the smoke, like the most beautiful woman in the world would wear. I've never found that terpene profile since

Still looking......

Sup Unc

I’ve always remembered this story since you first shared it . Big tops sounds like something I’ve dreamed of . That Cambodian red is like my Frankies , something That stands alone to all else

Must be some Haze your smoking to drop a 4 time post lolz

1luvbigherb

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Ive wondered many times over the years if O Haze was related to Columbian Red. I wouldn't have been able to tell because of the way Columbian Red was processed over seas. I was told they actually buried it for a while to cure. It was earthy, gooey, and sweet. Who knows what the fresh buds were like before that?
I cant remember growing any to maturity. In 75 we had a real nice female 4 feet tall in my best friends back yard. It was in full bloom. We came home from High School, and found it uprooted and laying in the dirt. His dad had been warning us for weeks, and finally pulled it. Azzhole!

Montuno

...como el Son...
I have read in Icmag two differents post by Mr @Sam_Skunkman with two differents versions; the most knowed:

Sam_Skunkman:
"Original Haze is the name given to a Hybrid variety developed from Columbian And Mexican with Thai and South Indian added later. It was not real consistant, but the best were in my opinion the best Cannabis I have ever seen. Pure Sativa, with a taste, smell, and high above all others.
(...)
-SamS

...and another one:

Sam_Skunkman:
"The Original Haze was three Columbian varieties, including Punto Rojos, and a magenta variety and a green variety. They were used to make the first O Haze. All Columbian.....
(...)
-SamS"

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I have read in Icmag two differents post by Mr @SamSkunman with two differents versions; the most knowed:

Sam_Skunkman:
"Original Haze is the name given to a Hybrid variety developed from Columbian And Mexican with Thai and South Indian added later. It was not real consistant, but the best were in my opinion the best Cannabis I have ever seen. Pure Sativa, with a taste, smell, and high above all others.
(...)
-SamS

...and another one:

Sam_Skunkman:
"The Original Haze was three Columbian varieties, including Punto Rojos, and a magenta variety and a green variety. They were used to make the first O Haze. All Columbian.....
(...)
-SamS"

That's exactly what I've been wondering for years, o. haze has always been composed of colombian, mexican, indian and thai, and only recently has it been said that it is made by three puntorojo, with a little bit of mex, thai and indian ...
This always confused me a little ...

Which mexican was it? And which thai? And the Indian, kerala?

Nexus7

Yeah too many inconsistencies re the whole Haze story. Started with those Haze Bros. interviews and the mock Cannabis seed catalogue with O.haze #1,#2 and #3 and New Years Haze. Then there's Nev's bag of mystery Haze seeds apparently labelled '69. Even Oldtimer didn't know much about his OTH line. Apparently Haze#4 I think?

I know it was a long time ago and memories fade but now that we're in the age of DNA testing we can know for sure if and how all these "hazes" are related.

We just need the relevant people to submit their Hazes for testing ...

N7

Nexus7

That's exactly what I've been wondering for years, o. haze has always been composed of colombian, mexican, indian and thai, and only recently has it been said that it is made by three puntorojo, with a little bit of mex, thai and indian ...
This always confused me a little ...

Which mexican was it? And which thai? And the Indian, kerala?

Perhaps it's something like this?

Col. Punto Rojo x Col. PR/Mex = Original Haze (#1)
Indian x O. Haze#1 = O. Haze #2 aka Indian Haze
Thai x O. Haze#2 = O. Haze#3

Just a wild guess!

N7

Latest posts

Latest posts