What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Dirt Life

Veteran
Thats just Haze #19 expressing her type of growth... IMHE, the alternating/stacked big calxes on a shoestring is a more Haze #19 trait.. Depending on which O Haze was used as the father, im willing to lean towards the purpleing as a Hz19 trait, too. A beautiful plant for sure, I bet she smokes sublimely...

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Looks identical to my Mullumbimby madness after it was reveging for 2-3+weeks. In nature the days gradually get shorter, cooler, and less muggy. . The low humidity sped up the reveg\running foxtails with the remaining nutes inside the leaves .. The only reason it even slightly has any appealing features to the eye is because the low humidity increased trichome production.

"Pushing VPD to higher levels (extremely low humidity) can have negative effects on plant growth, including reduced photosynthesis, reduced fresh weight yields, plant stunting and physiological problems such as leaf curl or burn."

That kind of sativa would prefer being flipped into flower with a 11/13 probably, and most likely would like to be 10/14 the last month. Aside from the VPD\Humidity issue.... If that was on 12\12.... I'd say that is another huge variable that cause them to reveg.

Another thought... with the lack of nutes in the mix, she looks to of had no flowering nutes being processed aside from atmospheric nitrogen. Just throwing observations out there... I always try to blame myself before I blame or credit genetics with something.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
That is re vegetation growth not a trait. Literally looks identical to my Mullumbimby madness after it was reveging for 2-3+weeks. In nature the days gradually get shorter, cooler, and less muggy. . The low humidity sped up the reveg\running foxtails with the remaining nutes inside the leaves .. The only reason it even slightly has any appealing features to the eye is because the low humidity increased trichome production.

"Pushing VPD to higher levels (extremely low humidity) can have negative effects on plant growth, including reduced photosynthesis, reduced fresh weight yields, plant stunting and physiological problems such as leaf curl or burn."

That kind of sativa would prefer being flipped into flower with a 11/13 probably, and most likely would like to be 10/14 the last month. Aside from the VPD\Humidity issue.... If that was on 12\12.... I'd say that is another huge variable that cause them to reveg.

Another thought... with the lack of nutes in the mix, she looks to of had no flowering nutes being processed aside from atmospheric nitrogen. Just throwing observations out there... I always try to blame myself before I blame or credit genetics with something.

Did you find this post helpful? - NO

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
picture.php

Not trying to gang up on him.. This is about helping and learning... I'm willing to learn too if someone else can trump my guess.

See the tip burns even on calyxs...... Great evidence that low humidity processed calcium at too fast of rate to absorb, locking out, and burning the tip. Photosynthesis being halted.... Maybe not exactly reveg just diminished yield

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Yeah... Definitely not hating lol... I pulled the nugs off the mullumbimby like 3 weeks into veg\reveg because they got so frosty and finished.. Smoked it, and liked it a lot

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day Dr Y

I don`t think comparing a Mullumbimby [hybrid ?] to the Haze cross Mac is growing is a good reference .

Some plants will fox tail no matter what . I have seen plants that look like wheat and normal flowers both indoors and out from the same batches of seeds from the same plots .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Yeah, definitely agree. Not everything is gonna pile on weight. Kinda digressed into another topic. The reason I mentioned ways to improve the morphology of the cultivar, was because someone before me mentioned culling skinny girls like that. Which has validity of course... I was offering the girl a 2nd chance. Sorry you seem to perceived the intention differently than I intended.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
well I know I know... ;-)
but I'm not a commercially grower... I'm a connoisseur grower...
and I know from experience that commercially grower often toss the best because of less yield ;-)
that's a truth... did u ever really test the skinny hazes?
I like to check all my own crosses and other with some friends....
it's the best test you can do... just don't tell what it is and let them decide...
I did never care what other say about that or other strains I grow...
there where also some speculation about the haze#19 ... mixed with WLD... haha

so finally I don't give a f... on what others say about ...
everybody believes in her/his truth hehe

for me count's only the smoke test...
I never care about yield... because it's soooo lame!
potency is what I'm after and than taste...
M.:tiphat:
i totally understand mr mac ,
and i apologize for coming of a bit harsh ,

i just see everyone seems to think just cause a pheno has very thin flowers , its a beauty ,
sure they look kinda cool , but there are other phenos that may be more productive and also deliver the same high ,
that was the point i was trying to make ...

id assume what you are growing originally was a commercial variety , or it would not have gotten into the hands of the haze brothers in the first place ,
id reckon there would have been more productive plants initially , perhaps selection has made it what it is ,
and to top it off indoor growing doesnt produce the best nld samples , grow wise ,,

makes it hard to select as some types that might thrive in an outdoor setting in colombia , might not do so good indoors ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
and yes i tried lots of haze types ,
including tom hills haze ,

and many of the hybrids ,

they dont grow quite the same here as they would indoors ,
the occasional wheat pheno as eb calls them ,
but they were rare , generally good flowers from all i grew ,

i didnt find too much of what folks call hay either ,
unless my tolerance is pretty low ,
most plants were good ,, some stand outs ,
barely a poor plant , definitely no hay .....

bigherb

Veteran
Santa Cruz original Haze was a producer , not the common low yielding plants you see in these f10-20 seeds available nowadays.

Perfect example if you look at Punto Rojo you will see some very Big yielding, but sexy sativa foxtailing colas . How about this , I was told in 76 harvest flowers were soo big they broke branches due to their weight .

81 was the last year the Haze was grown by G the originator. She stopped producing and starting putting out these wispy flowers . That’s the only reason he stopped growing her

Sams has said himself he never tried to improve or stabilize Haze he only tried to preserve it .

Happy to see all Haze lovers sharing their experiences thanks to all for your contributions

1luvbigherb

beta

Veteran
Santa Cruz original Haze was a producer , not the common low yielding plants you see in these f10-20 seeds available nowadays.

That's a big part of the reason I went out of my way to obtain a cut of Santa Cruz Blue Dream - I have no doubt that it has a LOT of potential as a breeder. Hitting it with some 2002 era Jack Herer pollen here in about 3 weeks...

onefinity

I posted this on the vintage Colombian Thread, but thought it would be helpful here in case anyone missed it...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A recent post from Ace Seeds in their instagram page:
"Our main Green Haze and Purple Haze females have been recently genetically analyzed by phylosbioscience, finally confirming that haze is mainly related with old Colombian Sativa landraces from the 70s, as it is shown at phylos galaxy."
[/FONT]

Nexus7

I posted this on the vintage Colombian Thread, but thought it would be helpful here in case anyone missed it...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A recent post from Ace Seeds in their instagram page:
"Our main Green Haze and Purple Haze females have been recently genetically analyzed by phylosbioscience, finally confirming that haze is mainly related with old Colombian Sativa landraces from the 70s, as it is shown at phylos galaxy."
[/FONT]

Oldtimer's Haze is and ibl of 1979 Colombian Gold, a thaixcolombian hybrid, according to phylos. Not really a "haze" at all and not related to the A5 cut. So not likely to be a parent of haze either.

That said it's clearly the most worked pure heirloom Sativa landrace available on the market. Top smoke I hear too. I would have grabbed some beans myself but I already got JGL '72 CG which is probably the same thing.

Would be interesting to see where SamS Haze fits into the picture. Not sure why he hasn't submitted it to phylos tbh.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I'm in Cali, north east of San Francisco. In about 1974 or 1975 we were flooded with excellent columbian red coming in through the Oakland harbor. It was very tasty, and super strong. 40 bucks a zip. Oakland was just up the coast from the haze Bros.

Mengsk

I was born in S. San Francisco in the mid eighties. Left about 2000, moved again for school. I wonder how similar those you saw from the 70s are to what is available today.

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
Oldtimer's Haze is and ibl of 1979 Colombian Gold, a thaixcolombian hybrid, according to phylos. Not really a "haze" at all and not related to the A5 cut. So not likely to be a parent of haze either.

That said it's clearly the most worked pure heirloom Sativa landrace available on the market. Top smoke I hear too. I would have grabbed some beans myself but I already got JGL '72 CG which is probably the same thing.

Would be interesting to see where SamS Haze fits into the picture. Not sure why he hasn't submitted it to phylos tbh.

G `day N7

Are you saying Colombian Gold is a Thai / Colombian cross ?
This has my attention .

Can you add more information .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Anyone know where to find some sams haze x skunk cross?
I intended to grab s couple couple packs when chimera was selling them. Really regret not grabbing them, i figured they would always be around.

Nexus7

G `day N7

Are you saying Colombian Gold is a Thai / Colombian cross ?
This has my attention .

Can you add more information .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I'm not saying there was only one Colombian Gold but the one submitted on phylos that is a parent of OTH is a Colombian with Thai ancestry.

As always evidence is anecdotal:

"1980 - real 'Gold Columbian' from David Crosby's sensimilla investigations in Columbia"

https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/9o0l1l5o

https://phylos.bio/variety/PGT-14052/gold-colombian

One can trace a direct lineage from:
OTH-Ace seeds
|
Gold Colombian - Ma Dang (crosby cut)
|
Colombia - Mel Frank
|
Cambodia - Mel Frank
|
Thailand - Dave Watson/Thai stick-Ma dang

The thai stick by Ma dang has history as follows:

"1975 - thai stick collected from commercial grower in South East Thailand"

So by 1980 commercial thai stick genes from 1975 had made there way into 'real deal' Colombian Gold.

N7

Latest posts

Latest posts