What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

@hempy: I remember having reading an article in a small run independent alternative newspaper about a father and son team who were approached to do a substantial crop around those times. The father had a terminal illness and he did it as a gift to set up his son... as the small farm was struggling. I'm guessing is was somewhere in Northern NSW from memory. They did mention it was good soil and the perfect place for to grow the sacred plant. The article was full of interesting details about how commercial quantity good pot was grown. How they hosed down all the bags full of bud so it didnt dry too fast.There was an interesting comment relating to a 60 Minutes doco about some guys growing a few big plants in Hawaii. It was dissed as a joke by these professionals! Anyone here recall this article by any chance? It was not the Nation Review. I loaned the paper to someone and the bastard never returned it. Would love to read it again. Well written and full of great tin taks from the era. From the late 70's early-mid 80's perhaps? Lj

No i dont remember that but i know it was grown every were i grew up on a farm and was told as an adult it was grown all around us.

harvestreaper

Veteran
this thread should be about original haze, we should discuss history and phenos of it. various cerebral effects and wonderful terps of it etc. instead of it. its full of some growers of northern lights hybrids, who try to tell you what haze really is.. its foolish weed that northern lights. it attracts fools. one fool try to say you tom hill haze is indica, another one tells you its thai, another one its not incense and only metallic.. another one tells you original haze is weak and needs to be crossed.. etc. I think some just copy their posts from mr. nice forum.. only remarkable trait of NL5Haze is that its strong. its like girl with big tits. many of us like big tits, but good portion of us like only big tits and dont care about if woman is ugly or beautiful. I like big tits but it has to be on beautiful woman.. NL5haze and neville´s haze is ugly girl with big tits and thats all.. most of them never grew OH.. wouldn't it be better if they make thread about Nevil and his hybrids, discuss it there. so we can discuss OH here without infinite arguing with northern lights hybrids trolls? it attract this kind of people. while, Im sure, original haze attracts creative people, musicians, poets, scientists, people of invention, people who want to develop their spiritual life etc.. who are seeking something more than to get relaxed after work.

chill out man no need for insults specially online have faith in your pure haze and self it dont matter what others say or do :huggg:..,,girl with big tits not a bad analagy in truth lol

Raho

Veteran
Gravity in time has big tits around the Knees .
Nevil's haze gained a reputation for being a quality haze because it was that good

Pretty sure Nevil was a (Big Tits x Beautiful Woman) kinda guy.
He wanted it all.

I think one of the biggest mistakes we tend to make up here is to presume to know what plant makes somebody else feel the best.

Searching for kindred spirits, other people who like what we like, is a natural thing. It affirms our "good taste" . . . makes us feel good about our choices.
There is no reason to tear down other people for their preferences if they choose differently though.

Does anybody really think it is cool to walk around calling people who like small tits idiots? Some of my best girlfriends had small tits.
:tiphat:

harvestreaper

Veteran
View Image
Sam's haze mix pack IX, made by me.
Stem rub is very unique nothing I've encountered before.
If you have any of Sam's haze X mix they are worthy I'd say pop em. Lots of fun to be had.
(And of course these seeds were a freebie from the mag right:)

nice one could be an sk1 x haze ,,threw some of these in this week very old tho be surpised if they pop , your plant looks like itll stretch

bigherb

Veteran
this thread should be about original haze, we should discuss history and phenos of it. various cerebral effects and wonderful terps of it etc. instead of it. its full of some growers of northern lights hybrids, who try to tell you what haze really is.. its foolish weed that northern lights. it attracts fools. one fool try to say you tom hill haze is indica, another one tells you its thai, another one its not incense and only metallic.. another one tells you original haze is weak and needs to be crossed.. etc. I think some just copy their posts from mr. nice forum.. only remarkable trait of NL5Haze is that its strong. its like girl with big tits. many of us like big tits, but good portion of us like only big tits and dont care about if woman is ugly or beautiful. I like big tits but it has to be on beautiful woman.. NL5haze and neville´s haze is ugly girl with big tits and thats all.. most of them never grew OH.. wouldn't it be better if they make thread about Nevil and his hybrids, discuss it there. so we can discuss OH here without infinite arguing with northern lights hybrids trolls? it attract this kind of people. while, Im sure, original haze attracts creative people, musicians, poets, scientists, people of invention, people who want to develop their spiritual life etc.. who are seeking something more than to get relaxed after work.

I second that

All input Haze is appreciated

But we should stay on topic , Original Haze and her many expressions . The history is said and done until Sams decides to share his specific experiences

1luvbigherb

TheDarkStorm

I wouldnt be so quick to say Neville's haze should't be brought up in conversations about haze....it aswell as sams work are the very few options out ther wen trying to experience wat the haze line was about along long time ago.. (I agree tho..the nl#5 does slightly alter the affects.)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I know what y'all mean about unrelated lines being named after the haze.
I have Bangi Haze f6 from ace.
I think it's supposed to be Congolese sativa x Nepalese sativa? Where does the haze come in?
As someone said earlier, I guess they are using "haze" as a catch all phrase for sativa Hybrids.
I guess nowadays, it's just like Kind, Chronic, Crippy, Fire, etc.etc. - not a specific line, just a phrase.

Raho

Veteran
this thread should be about original haze.

wouldn't it be better if they make thread about Nevil and his hybrids, discuss it there.

OK, this was constructive suggestion.

I like having this thread here as a one stop for ALL haze, but it's not my thread, and lately it seems like about half the content in here is complaining about people who are "not smart enough to appreciate 'the good stuff'." Frankly it's ruining this thread WAY more than posts from people who like a little hash with their sativa.

So, I've made an attempt to fix it for you.
For your reading and posting pleasure, I bring you:
The Haze hybrid Thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8720634

Please feel free to go over to that thread and contribute. Even pure haze people are welcome there. The thread belongs to everyone. Just no attacking others for their taste in flowers.

Last edited:

Raho

Veteran
I know what y'all mean about unrelated lines being named after the haze.
I have Bangi Haze f6 from ace.
I think it's supposed to be Congolese sativa x Nepalese sativa? Where does the haze come in?
As someone said earlier, I guess they are using "haze" as a catch all phrase for sativa Hybrids.
I guess nowadays, it's just like Kind, Chronic, Crippy, Fire, etc.etc. - not a specific line, just a phrase.
That is the result of the misinformation about the pedigree of haze (Colombian, Mexican, Thai, South Indian.)
People assumed that the way to create a new or different haze was to combine a bunch of different extreme sativas, when in fact the version of Sam's "Haze" that made the line famous was genetics all from one country.

I think Cannabiogen should be praised for avoiding the temptation to call their Destroyer line a haze. In 2011 when they released that hybrid (or at least when charlie made the strain post about it here), nobody was calling Haze "Colombian."

B

Benny106

I cant get over the fact that toms haze might be a haze x chunk f3, honestly is there a source for this? Phylos testing? Cmon.

AstroTHC

I cant get over the fact that toms haze might be a haze x chunk f3, honestly is there a source for this? Phylos testing? Cmon.

a few years ago tom hill ran a 1000 or so deep chunk x haze f2's and culled the broad leaf seedlings, but he had an ideal plant in mind before he started the selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHill View Post
DCxHaze F2 - You know I'm growing a couple this year

View Image

Quote:

I only intend to look at a couple hundred out of those (about 1000 sprouts), and those have already been identified -the rest culled. Here is what we're looking like after the above pic was taken and said plants culled.

View Image

Now, I can hear you as clearly as I heard CBF,,, Damn Tom, how the hell can you tell what you're looking for this early on? The answer is this, "build me a woman make her,,, ten feet tall".. In other words, I have clearly in my mind the ideal type of plant I want (the "ideotype"), and I can already see at this early stage those who can not possibly exhibit ALL of the traits I am wanting to see - hence, they've been culled and we're getting on with the business of finding our ideal phenotypes.

Actually, I expect to find about five ideal phenotypes for every hundred grown. These ideal plants will then be selfed, then their breeding value ranked based on the performance of their progenys. This is not pass/fail but a simple exercise that should be fun and exciting for all to watch pan out. -Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
Nice update, Tom.

I have a question in regards to what you're looking for this early on. I dig the build me a woman concept. Haven't heard that tune in a while. Question is, why ten feet tall? What are you looking for or seeing as the ideotype at this point? What aren't you seeing from the ones culled?

Having some of these makes me curious as to what someone with your experience with both lines looks for or knows to look for in the best types.
Quote:
An excellent question Rasputin. Basically, at this point, I am simply selecting away from broadleaf leaning phenotypes. Now, this has been misinterpreted in the past so let me clear it up some. I am selecting away from not only broad leaves, but long and thick petioles, thick meristems, short individuals, these types of things. I have heard breeders in the past talking about selecting males with thick stalks etc, I am here to tell you that this is a bunch of malarkey. What we want is what Clarke referred to as the creeper phenotype. That is, a plant that can barely hold itself up under it's own weight. Can a plant with giant leaves, petioles, stalk etc keep up with the ideotype in my mind? Yes, it can, but it needs to be much more vigorous and be multiplying cells much more rapidly to do so. For indoor as well as out, we want the same, a plant that grows like a "sativa" (ie, like screaming banshees), but nugs up like an "indica" (at least somewhat). Actually, what we want are a bunch of midparent values regarding many traits, but these ones I'm selecting for now will sway the odds greatly in our favor down the road in regards to our target ideotype. Down the road as our parameters become more demanding, of course I want a plant that is more resinous than DC, more heady than Haze, but we certainly can't select for that just yet, in due time though. Right now, we just want a grip of plants to run through whose vegetative growth appears to be closer to Haze than DC. Out of those plants, some will also exhibit other traits fitting our ideotype, but none of the ones culled could have possibly fit them all. -Tom

So maybe THH is the best and easy to find phenos cuz it is like NevilleHaze just selected to F3 in Haze way.
If i remember good Mad Mac sad that THH is the strongest,and best phenos also few people here on ICMAG in THH thread find broad leaf phenos because of its predecessor.

Maybe i am sometimes wright here in agressive way but aint mean something rellly bad to anyone.:tiphat:

SUPER_HAZE

I also read years ago that tom hill haze could be skunk / haze of positronics.

By structure it looks more like a hybrid. Nobody would say that it comes from original haze ...

Without genetic evidence it is impossible to know what tom hill or positronics did.

I am cultivating purple honduras haze and it looks more like original haze.

I do not doubt that it is a great variety but it seems a hybrid sincerely.

AstroTHC

So that is why Mad Mac say that THH is the strongest, have more resin,less strech,and stronger smell then O-haze.
And is esier to find stelar pheno.
Seeds are worked in Haze way few generations.

Raho

Veteran
sure do miss that guy (Tom Hill)
a few years ago tom hill ran a 1000 or so deep chunk x haze f2's and culled the broad leaf seedlings, but he had an ideal plant in mind before he started the selection.

Quote:
DCxHaze F2 - You know I'm growing a couple this year

View Image

Quote:

I only intend to look at a couple hundred out of those (about 1000 sprouts), and those have already been identified -the rest culled. Here is what we're looking like after the above pic was taken and said plants culled.

View Image

Now, I can hear you as clearly as I heard CBF,,, Damn Tom, how the hell can you tell what you're looking for this early on? The answer is this, "build me a woman make her,,, ten feet tall".. In other words, I have clearly in my mind the ideal type of plant I want (the "ideotype"), and I can already see at this early stage those who can not possibly exhibit ALL of the traits I am wanting to see - hence, they've been culled and we're getting on with the business of finding our ideal phenotypes.

Actually, I expect to find about five ideal phenotypes for every hundred grown. These ideal plants will then be selfed, then their breeding value ranked based on the performance of their progenys. This is not pass/fail but a simple exercise that should be fun and exciting for all to watch pan out. -Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
Nice update, Tom.

I have a question in regards to what you're looking for this early on. I dig the build me a woman concept. Haven't heard that tune in a while. Question is, why ten feet tall? What are you looking for or seeing as the ideotype at this point? What aren't you seeing from the ones culled?

Having some of these makes me curious as to what someone with your experience with both lines looks for or knows to look for in the best types.
Quote:
An excellent question Rasputin. Basically, at this point, I am simply selecting away from broadleaf leaning phenotypes. Now, this has been misinterpreted in the past so let me clear it up some. I am selecting away from not only broad leaves, but long and thick petioles, thick meristems, short individuals, these types of things. I have heard breeders in the past talking about selecting males with thick stalks etc, I am here to tell you that this is a bunch of malarkey. What we want is what Clarke referred to as the creeper phenotype. That is, a plant that can barely hold itself up under it's own weight. Can a plant with giant leaves, petioles, stalk etc keep up with the ideotype in my mind? Yes, it can, but it needs to be much more vigorous and be multiplying cells much more rapidly to do so. For indoor as well as out, we want the same, a plant that grows like a "sativa" (ie, like screaming banshees), but nugs up like an "indica" (at least somewhat). Actually, what we want are a bunch of midparent values regarding many traits, but these ones I'm selecting for now will sway the odds greatly in our favor down the road in regards to our target ideotype. Down the road as our parameters become more demanding, of course I want a plant that is more resinous than DC, more heady than Haze, but we certainly can't select for that just yet, in due time though. Right now, we just want a grip of plants to run through whose vegetative growth appears to be closer to Haze than DC. Out of those plants, some will also exhibit other traits fitting our ideotype, but none of the ones culled could have possibly fit them all. -Tom

So maybe THH is the best and easy to find phenos cuz it is like NevilleHaze just selected to F3 in Haze way.
If i remember good Mad Mac sad that THH is the strongest,and best phenos also few people here on ICMAG in THH thread find broad leaf phenos because of its predecessor.

Maybe i am sometimes wright here in agressive way but aint mean something rellly bad to anyone.:tiphat:

TheDarkStorm

Isnt tom hills haze a inbred line of sams haze#19 female clone put to a father that edd allready had..that line was then futher inbred, tom only further worked the line to wat he thought best represented the ancestral hazes.. I think the haze x dc was a separate project he was doing..the two projects may be getting mixed up by ppl

Last edited:

elanius

Veteran
haze subject is really fascinating isnt it? As soon as one "issue" is resolved and most agree that there is a difference between original haze and haze hybrids, we immediately proceed to create another drama talking about broader leafs and even suggesting that THH is actually Haze x Deep Chunk..man oh man.

Here is a another quote from Tom Hill:
"I am familiar with most all current Original Haze offerings. To be fair though, some I have not looked at very extensively. However, none have been able to move me near as much as this old Sam line via Posi. My selections have focused on high-quality resin production, and imo this line is the Haze resin-queen.

Occasionally the typical armchair Haze expert will come along and inform me that my line is a Haze hybrid due to the occasional broader leaf - exactly like the drawings of the Thai seedling in the opening pages of Clarkes MJ Botany. It all falls on deaf ears though.

When I am requesting a clean-up on isle 9 due to my mind being split open, or am afraid to drive my car high on a decent sample (4 hours after smoking it) - all perspective is put in its proper place.

I'm almost afraid to release it, tehee, some of you will get so noided-out that you will shitcan your current IC accounts only to return a few weeks later under new handles after the Haze clears.

My friend CBF has been growing my Haze stock for years, and I don't think he'll part ways with it anytime soon. Here are a few pics from him.

This plant is my holy grail, by far, nothing can touch it."

elanius

Veteran
And here is finally :D a picture of Tom Hill Haze, dried and curing
picture.php

I love the smell, after growing a lot of NLD types, I appreciate it even more now. Metallic, pine, woody, lavender, mango and incense, all in the mix.

Latest posts

Latest posts