What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Panama x original haze (and electric lady on back)
picture.php

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
In my experience with a tom hill haze, it grew quite well indoors, nice bud structure and finished pretty good, same plant outdoors is quite terrible. Not a good test at all. I'd recommend testing them indoors not outside.

I wood

Veteran
not the same man. F1s provide better chance to find a keeper, than inbred line of haze. and no original haze based seedline is full of keepers, of course, it depends what is standard for you. you cant make F2 from Tom Hill Haze as its not F1---

Interesting information, i was under the impression I made f2s and labeled them that way.
Thank you for that correction.
To the couple of people who got some of them, this is me telling you they are labeled wrong. Sorry about that.

About keepers, the only female out of a pack I had was perfect for me. Exactly what i was looking for. All up, very motivating and goes away cleanly.
Seven of the seeds I made are growing now, looking forward to some variety.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Pretty sure a line this inbred is far more stable than 99% of the shit out today...
So talking about a rare 10% pheno is a lot different than something like Skunk or Chem\Diesel\Kush\blah blah with far more diversity in it... We are talking about non-hybridized 16+ week landrace basically...
Sam said its best to cross it to something because most people are use to bag appeal, speedy, funky plants..... Only when you compare it to a SSH or something will you consider the low yielding, mildly frosty stuff "hay"... but in comparison to other wild, true landrace type stuff that it should be actually compared to.. This would easily be more than "10% gems"....

I can't wait to pop some THH :) Bless you for all you have done MM...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
In my experience with a tom hill haze, it grew quite well indoors, nice bud structure and finished pretty good, same plant outdoors is quite terrible. Not a good test at all. I'd recommend testing them indoors not outside.
growing them indoor would give no indication of how they will perform outdoors ,
im 100% sure the indoor version would absolutely be a much poorer example than the outdoor version ,and more likely to come across a hay sample ,

in my climate that is,.
things may vary with yours and other folks however....

so in my case id be testing for that tripping weed outdoors ...

i heard many comment about mango haze and nevils haze ,
saying they found plenty of hay , and the odd great plant ,
that was not the case where i grow ,
i found all good plants , and some excellent ...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
What I am saying is the same tom hill haze grown indoor and outdoor in BC on the island, it did quite well indoors, and is sucking outside. I pressed a branch and got 0 resin out of it. I'd never grow it outdoors again.

Its not a keeper, but it at least produced some full resiny buds indoor, 16-20 weeks it went.

On a side note, a chemdxchem91 indoor and outdoor; did great indoors, did great outdoors, and produced tons of resin. same time frame, same weather. Of course much leafier, but oh well.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Tom Hill Haze

Tom Hill Haze

hello haze lovers,
here are 3 THH...
there is so much more to discover in the THH...

what a great bud structure... hope she is potent too... from look a keeper :)
picture.php

another purple popped up...
picture.php

another great bud maker haze...
picture.php

all the best
M.:tiphat:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Looks like a nice pheno that you have gotten there.
Tight indernode spacing for being pure Haze x sativa cross.
Looking very healthy too!

Thanks, she is more "hazey" than her sister, more slender structure, narrower leaves, and is more sensitive to nutrients (I'm talking about manure, not chemical fertilizers)...
Even the male looks similar ...
The sister is more "robust", leaves slightly wider and larger, the stem is thicker, it is less picky with nutrients ...
Despite the mishaps that they passed, and some of my mistakes, healthy, beautiful plants have grown (perhaps in more experienced hands they could be better), a beautiful cross!:tiphat:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
(green oldtimer haze x thai x purple oldtimer haze x thai) x oldtimer haze...
I'll probably give them to a friend to grow them indoors...
picture.php

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
What I am saying is the same tom hill haze grown indoor and outdoor in BC on the island, it did quite well indoors, and is sucking outside. I pressed a branch and got 0 resin out of it. I'd never grow it outdoors again.

there is no chance for haze to finish properly at your climate. only chance is greenhouse and light dep., so they can finish before real cold and low sunlight intensity. but this is quite clear when you know history of haze, it needed greenhouse in California man

when I talked about thh can take cold, I meant like 48°F in night :D but during the day you need sunny days and temperature above 77°F in greenhouse. even in Italy they prefer haze hybrids as they would have to chop real haze in January/February and its raining there and not so much of the Sun. it needs intense sunlight.

when growing in Australia, the Sun bulb is very intense there. high levels of UV.. etc.. :D
by the way I noticed there are UV led strips, anybody is using it for haze indoor?

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Haze Far Red & UVB

Haze Far Red & UVB

I noticed there are UV led strips, anybody is using it for haze indoor?
i'll use far red @ end of day and UV for more resin 1h @mid day :biggrin:
since 1 year now... far red works for sure... UVB looks like :biggrin:

We know based on Photosynthesis (Chlorophyll A & B) that plants utilize primarily 439nm, 469nm, 642nm, and 667nm, (4-bands) while most other wavelengths are unused. Aside from these colors we know that humans must see their plants to monitor their health, which requires the use of white or green light (1-band) in small quantities, as these reflect off the plant. Lastly a light should contain 740nm far-red (1-band), which triggers flowering within the plant during a 12/12 light cycle. 740nm also stimulates the Emerson Enhancement effect, which increases photosynthesis rates up to 30%! UV light in the region of 285-315nm also has a benefit for resin-producing plants such as poison ivy or cannabis, however LED’s in this nm range cost over $90 each making them unrealistic for LED Grow Light applications. Based on this information, only 6 wavelengths or “bands” of light are necessary to meet all of the requirements of Chlorophyll A & B, Carotenoids, and humans. When UV becomes a cost-effective option, people growing resinous plants should opt for a 7-band spectrum containing 300nm UV.
i'am very happy with it ... especially for da haze ;-)
CMH + LED looks to me the best combo for sativa...
but nothing can beat the SUN... !

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran

The sun is definitely the top ... :)
Anyway, to cultivate the outdoor haze at 45 n, first of all you have to know the local climate (if I moved 50 km to the east I could not cultivate some sativa), furthermore from experience I can say that, if planted in May, it has more chances to finish than to a plant born in July ...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I recently saw a presentation that showed most UVB is useless, 280-290 nm is what you want to increase Cannabinoids, Flavonoids, Terpenes, and other secondary metabolites, 290-300 nm helps a little but needs 10X the exposure to get the same results, and I do agree that nothing can beat the sun. Unfortunately Peter's work was done with a client that will not share the exact results, in yields etc. But I believe the presenter Peter Barber knows what he is talking about, I saw him at the 2019 Rai Green Tech show (the largest HORTICULTURE/Agricultural show, I have attended the last 20 years and just the last few years they have allowed Cannabis presentations) I was quite impressed. He had done side by side trials with different UVB nm sources to determine what was best for Cannabis to increase secondary metabolites, Cannabinoids, Flavonoids, Terpenes. https://issuu.com/amsterdamrai/docs/peter_barber.pptx

What UVB nm exactly are you using on your plants?
-SamS

i'll use far red @ end of day and UV for more resin 1h @mid day :biggrin:
since 1 year now... far red works for sure... UVB looks like :biggrin:

i'am very happy with it ... especially for da haze ;-)
CMH + LED looks to me the best combo for sativa...

Last edited:

Nirrity

Sam, does that mean you have changed your opinion about UV-B?

I now believe if you use the correct UVB and not what I used 20 years ago it may raise both Cannabinoid and terpene levels, the wrong UVB does not increase Cannabinoids or terpenes and in fact can reduce them. This was the first trial of the correct UVB vs other UVB's and was made after they discovered which UVB nm was the correct ones Cannabis needed to increase Cannabinoids and Terpenes. When I trialed the wrong UVB with the same clones as non treated clones I found zero increase (I have a GC-Fid and HPLC laboratory) as as I have said before they actually had less Cannabinoids and terpenes than the controls that got no UVB. The controls and the plants that got UVB were grown Identically, same clones, same soil, same container size, same fertilizers, same temperatures.

I always said I preferred sun grown Cannabis tested Organoleptically it seemed superior to the same clones that were grown under lights but gown exactly the same except for light source, same soil, same container size, same fertilizers, same clones, same temperatures.

I have not really changed I just think now if just the correct UVB is used there can be increases in Cannabinoids and Terpenes. No one knew this in the past, now we do and thats why I put it in my CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT, because I can see that if used correctly UVB of the correct sort can help, as far as I know there were no UVB 290-300 nm only lights used by Cannabis growers in the past, I had never seen them anyway, did you?

-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest posts